team SWAGSTORM

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with most of my teams, I don't have a backstory on this team! Rather, it just started out as me trying a bunch of stuff I've seen on RandomWiFi that beat me. So, instead of disconnecting on my opponent and going on my merry way, I record the battle videos and watch them again and try to make out sets to steal. The first was Swagger Cresselia and Lum/Persim Metagross. Most of the Japanese use it, and while I prevented it a few times, it ended up destroying me under Trick Room. The second was Level 1 Aron, which some Japanese use, but someone on GBU kicked my ass with it even without Trick Room, so either it's a really good set or I'm just a horrible player (hint: it's the latter). The third was Choice Scarf Togekiss, which is particularly rage inducing when your fast Pokemon can't do anything and of course the fourth was Choice Specs Rotom-W. Rather than go to the trouble of testing them on separate teams, why not mush them all together? And so, this team was born.

I used this team in Athens, and it got me a 6-2 record, and probably could've gone higher if my stupid Togekiss wasn't a bad luck magnet, but I digress. Maybe regulars on GBU can recognize this team since I've tested/used it so much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, because it's a big world out there. It's a successful team, and I bet I could get pretty high on the official ladders if my WiFi would cooperate and people wouldn't dicksconnect!

THE TEAM:

This certainly does look like a pure Trick Room team, doesn't it? Well I guess it really is a Trick Room team now, since I find myself using it more and more often! I didn't set out to make a Trick Room team, but keeping with my I-don't-need-to-set-upTrick-Room-right-away attitude, I don't play it as a Trick Room team unless I feel it's in my best interest.

THE SETS:

Luna Bean @

Calm
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Swagger
Rest
Psychic
Trick Room

My most used teammate. I like to use her as a surefire switch-in against other weathers or Fighting-types, and of course she sets up Trick Room for 'Ol Bitty and my other slower members. Trick Room also checks other Trick Room, and they can't stop me from returning the twisted dimensions unless they put me to sleep twice or gang up on her with consecutive Shadow Balls.

She's usually paired with BILLY JOE for Swagger abuse and Trick Room if I can manage it, along with 'Ol Bitty since it's GOING to move first in Trick Room. I rarely use her with Hotshot, but Air Slash helps with getting off a Rest. I try not to use Swagger+Air Slash since people disconnect if it's successful.

'Ol Bitty @

Hasty (Sturdy)

Sandstorm
Toxic
Protect
Endeavor

People really ought to use more Aron! It's the reason I've been considering using Triple Kick Hitmontop over Close Combat or Dual Chop instead of Dragon Claw on some teams. Bar burns, hail or flinches, she usually has time to get off an Endeavor even outside of Trick Room, and she makes excellent bait since she requires 3 hits to take down (2 Sturdy activations and a final blow). Toxic also helps against annoying Pokemon such as Gastrodon, Cresselia and other bulky types that like to Protect a lot. I have to watch Endeavor's PP against Pressure Pokemon like Suicune and Zapdos, since if they Protect consecutively, Endeavor will run out of PP quickly.

'Ol Bitty works best with Luna Bean because of Trick Room and her ability to beat Sitrus Berry Hitmontop. I can also overcome Dark-types with Endeavor+Toxic (maybe Swagger) most of the time, which really helps Luna's longevity. Desmond is the next best thing as he provides Sandstorm support to finish off weakened Pokemon (frailer Pokemon take 2 turns or so to faint, but Protect eases things) and draws Hitmontop's fire. Hotshot is another good Pokemon to lead with because of his fast Air Slash and ability to beat Hitmontop (They usually Fake Out him expecting Follow Me).

Desmond @

Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Rock Slide
Crunch
Low Kick
Protect

STANDTTARD is a perfect teammate for Level 1 Aron and to an extent BILLY JOE. That's really all there is to say on the matter, but I'll continue for the sake of this topic being locked because my descriptions are lacking. I considered using Counter, but pretty much the only reason I'm not using it is because of OTHER Tyranitar and Hydreigon with Fire Blast (which is the only kind that matters). Superpower sucks, and nobody should use it. Rock Slide is dumb because it flinches. Crunch kills Cresselia and Ghosts. I run a Focus Sash purely to ensure I can change the weather on rain teams. I don't really like Tyranitar, but this team pretty much requires it and Desmond has earned a soft spot in my heart because his name made people laugh (for some reason!).

Hotshot @

Timid (Serene Grace)
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Air Slash
Heat Wave
Aura Sphere
Trick

Man, fuck Togekiss seriously. Do you ever NOT get flinched by this thing? Imagine if it was faster. Well, you don't have to imagine anymore, because with a Choice Scarf, nobody is safe. Latios, Terrakion, you name it; it gets flinched to death within the allotted 32 turns of Air Slash. People often overlook its base 120 Special Attack simply because it gets Follow Me, but don't be fooled by its Cresselia-esque demeanor; Togekiss is fashioned after an atomic bomb ready to lay waste to your entire team.

Unfortunately the above often does not transpire because I am the most unlucky Togekiss user to ever walk the earth (think Air Slash and Heat Wave misses). Regardless, it's still a huge threat that people don't see coming, especially on a team with a bunch of slow Pokemon and an Aron. I have yet to use Aura Sphere against anything, Heat Wave is an okay move, Trick can cripple supporters, but I always go straight for an Air Slash the instant it hits the field. If I need to set up Trick Room, I just hand off my Scarf to something and continue to flinch it next turn. Togekiss is also pretty bulky even without maxed Defenses, so I'm not afraid to switch it in.

BILLY JOE @

Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Iron Head
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Protect

Part 2 of my Swag-Lum combo. I tend to alternate between Meteor Mash and Iron Head, but with +2 Attack, I like accuracy more. Ice Punch is there for Zapdos since Heat Wave can't OHKO me, and if it's with Garchomp I'll just set up Trick Room. Earthquake is an obvious filler since half of my team is immune and the other half can Protect to avoid it.

BILLY JOE doesn't leave home without either Hotshot or Luna. I like to keep him well-supported because (in my experience) Metagross is usually the first to go down without any support because of stuff like Hydro Pump all over the place. Desmond is also one chill dude, since chip damage that doesn't affect you is always nice. I sometimes miss not having Bullet Punch for Endeavor+Priority, but I really don't have room for it.

Scrapper @

Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 SpD

Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power Ice
Trick

I love Choicetom-W, but I already have Scarfed Togekiss, so why not Choice Specs? I love being able to OHKO stuff like Scizor and Garchomp, though rarely I miss Protect. I usually use Scrapper with Luna because of Trick Room, but I also like to go hyper offensive and lead with Hotshot and him. Sometimes I get cheeky and double-Trick my opponent, leaving them with a choiced Hitmontop and Cresselia. They never... susSPECt it.Scrapper is also part of my R&R side of the team (Rain wReckage) since it can obviously OHKO common stuff with a STAB Hydro Pump and/or Thunderbolt.

Desmond and Scrapper also make a pretty solid combo! (note: I didn't set out to be anything like this, it's a coincidence, honest!!)

Rain
Main Threats:

Basically, Ferrothorn wreaks my team in Rain. My main way of dealing with it is either flinching it to death or Heat Waving, so that's one of my options out the window. Ludicolo is always an asshole (causing most of my irl VGC losses) but I can deal with it by Endeavoring, Air Slashing (maybe changing the weather for the speed advantage) or setting up Trick Room. Gastrodon is just incredibly bulky, but I can get by it most of the time. Scizor threatens half of my team and can severely damage the other half, but Specs Hydro Pump or Heat Wave is usually enough to get past it.

Against dedicated teams, I lead with Hotshot and 'Ol Bitty with Luna and either Desmond or Scrapper in the back (usually Scrapper).

Sun
Main Threats:

Sun teams are easy to get past considering I have a Tyranitar, and I can change the weather with 'Ol Bitty if I need to. The biggest problems come from Chlorophyll Sleep Powder users, and while I have two Pokemon with anti-sleep Berries, one of them is unfit to go up against a bunch of Fire-types (BILLY JOE). If I can manage a Trick Room setup, then it's smooth sailing from then on. Chandelure can get in the way of this with its insanely powerful Shadow Ball, but then again I have Tyranitar.

I usually lead with Desmond and Hotshot with 'Ol Bitty and Luna in the back.

Sand
Main Threats:

Again with Scizor and Ferrothorn. I can deal with both slightly more easily with Heat Wave, though. Gliscor and Garchomp can be menaces if my Hydro Pumps or Hidden Power Ice can't connect, which happens all too often. When it does, opposing Sand teams don't bother me too much.

I usually lead with Hotshot and 'Ol Bitty with Luna and Scrapper or BILLY JOE in the back.

Hail
Main Threats:

Hail is a little tricky depending on what teammates Abomasnow has. If it's just a bunch of Blizzspammers, Desmond walks all over them. If they actually have good supporters (bulky waters for example) I lead with BILLY JOE and Luna for Swagger+Iron Head with Desmond and 'Ol Bitty or Scrapper in the back. Mamoswine kind of foils this with its Earthquake, but I can KO it with Iron Head if I don't get critted. Jynx is also annoying because of Lovely Kiss, but otherwise isn't much of a threat.

Trick Room
Main Threats:

I run neutral speed natures, my Cress has Trick Room, and I have a level 1 Aron. Needless to say, I'm pretty well prepared for a pure Trick Room team. A few things that irk me however, are Amoonguss and Dusclops because they can burn or sleep my choice 'mons. Supporter Fighting-types usually pack priority to kill my Aron or severely damage BILLY JOE with Close Combat. Otherwise, they'll have to play smart to get past me.

I usually lead with Luna and BILLY JOE with anything besides Hotshot in the back.

Goodstuffs
Main Theats:

You can't really put a label on goodstuffs, so when talking about them try to imagine a birthday party where everyone wants to kill you. Hydreigon with Fire Blast (or Flamethrower) wreaks my Swag-Lum combo and maims Scrapper with Draco Meteor. Hitmontop sometimes uses Feint, but more often use Mach Punch, which makes Bitty and Desmond cringe with the thought of one of those connecting. Zapdos is just generally a pain with Heat Wave burning 'Ol Bitty and its choice of Electric move against Hotshot, though Zapdos is one of the more unlucky ones that actually get flinched every turn. Scizor is still an ass, and Garchomp is exposed without Sand Veil. There's probably a lot more you can cram in here that I don't like, but this is what I can think of on the fly.

So there you have it folks, a team with two Choiced Pokemon, a Level 1 Aron and a Swaggerboosting combo. If it were a meal, you would gain ten pounds with all the toppings and added preservatives; if it were an orchestrated song it would lull even the most bad-tempered babies to sleep; if it were a love poem it would instantly fill the room with choice babes; if it were a sale it would actually give YOU money if you bought it, and if it were a Pokemon team you would lose to it.​

Without Safeguard you are lacking what you can safely Swagger and abuse that rare move that you will first know as TM 87.

Cresselia with Rest may do well due to the timer if you can somehow let Cresselia survive that long without any issues, using Sitrus Berry Cresselia with Safeguard seems like the logical change to make as a result.

Choice Scarf Air Slash Togekiss is very weak especially with the Timid nature. You should just run a Modest nature if you are very adamant about keeping Choice Scarf Togekiss. In addition to that using Air Slash often means that you will not get a consistent amount of flinches which kind of goes against the point of using Scarf Togekiss. I would personally recommend Follow Me Tailwind with bulk but you seem to like Scarf Togekiss so I'd just recommend Modest nature.

You seem incredibly weak to most double attacking situations and spread moves, some sort of Fake Out support or Follow Me Togekiss being used can easily mitigate this issue.

Overall it is a good team, just that it has some really obvious weak points that can not be changed too much individually without reworking the whole team.

I'm not sure about Modest Togekiss, so I'd have to see what I can still outspeed. If I can't outspeed Weavile then I'm keeping Timid.

I've been toying with Safeguard, but I love Rest because it lets me take a lot more hits and set up. It's really just a four moveslot syndrome kind of thing.

If I desperately needed to fix my double-attacking issue, Scrapper would probably be the first to hit the chopping block. But you're right- I can't fix these issues without reworking the team. I honestly don't have much trouble with this, (I'm aware this can be said to justify anything, but its true) since I can usually play around them if it's painfully obvious.

Goddamn Aron :p
Yeah, Sitrus + Safeguard would be better on Cress.
One small nitpick, Cress should have less speed than Meta so it can Swagger Meta before it attacks under Trick Room.

That's all I got!

Thanks for your post!

I'm actually using Swagger+Safeguard now. On the subject of being slower than Metagross, I'd miss being faster outside of Trick Room and Speed tying/outspeeding other Supporters so I can Swagger or Safeguard in their faces. Breloom can also be a big problem if I can't stop it in time as well.

Actually, just a quick mention, I think Specs/Gem Rotom-W OHKOs Ferrothorn under rain. My damage calculator's gone, so I can't verify it, but I do know that Hydro Pump will at least bring it close.

'Ol Bitty @

Hasty (Sturdy)​

Sandstorm
Toxic
Protect
Endeavor​
You definetly should go with a Shell Bell on Aron he will survive much longer and in the VCG most of the time he will be healed to full health 85% percent of the time. Berry Juice guarentees he can get one off at least but shell bell will definetly be better. I also think you should lead with him use him to kill one or two then if he dies you can pick the rest of them off.

Luvdisc'd for Aron.

You should use Shell Bell on Aron, though. Also, I don't understand why you run Focus Sash on T-tar, the weather is changed on the switch in, not by the end of the turn.

I love the fact that you're using Aron, but there's one glaring threat to it that you won't ever see coming: Scarfed Cloyster. Thanks to icicle spear/rock blast, he doesn't care at all about sturdy,Berry juice, or even shell bell. Basically, I see this going down: their FO'er fakes out Aron, he switches to Cloyster, and destroys the little menace, and you won't even see it coming. However, Cloyster is kinda rare, so it works out in the end. Good move with it, otherwise.

ALSO: I love the non-follow me Togekiss. I never see it being used like that.

Fellows, I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this RMT is three months old and was necrobumped. Your advice is falling on deaf ears.

Edit: Additionally, Berry Juice is extremely important when you have priority and spread attacks being thrown around everywhere. I think you're all forgetting that you don't have the luxury of being hit once per turn like you do in singles. Two spread attacks and Aron is done for; with a Berry Juice, at least you're almost guaranteed to live two attacks.

I love the fact that you're using Aron, but there's one glaring threat to it that you won't ever see coming: Scarfed Cloyster. Thanks to icicle spear/rock blast, he doesn't care at all about sturdy,Berry juice, or even shell bell. Basically, I see this going down: their FO'er fakes out Aron, he switches to Cloyster, and destroys the little menace, and you won't even see it coming. However, Cloyster is kinda rare, so it works out in the end. Good move with it, otherwise.
part of this team being from earlier vgc12 is that choister was unheard of then

i MIGHT actually revisit this rmt later with msc. stuff i've been toying with (eg, wide pert>rotom) but until then let's let this sleeping dog lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)