Teambuilding Challenge(Round 1: Manectric)

approved by Hulavuta
Hey guys, so this is going to be a revival of this thread. Unfortunately the original was locked so I decided to keep this going because it's a fun idea.

This challenge will test team building capabilities with less common pokemon/strategies. You'll have to build a team based around a certain pokemon or theme. At the end of each round, everyone can vote on what team they thought was the best. Try to keep creativity in mind, as well as viability, when voting. Whoever receives the most votes will have their team showcased in the OP.

When building your team, creative and innovative ideas are welcome, but try to keep the team viable as well. If your team is interesting and doing well simultaneously, you'll have a much better shot at winning!

You can build teams for any format. Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotations, and Special are all welcome!

Round 1
This round's pokemon is Manectric!

Manectric has access to fantastic abilities, a useful typing, and great speed. However, it is quite frail and has a lot less power compared to other Megas. For this reason, most people opt to use other electric types like Rotom and Thundurus. But Manectric certainly has it's qualities that can make it shine and it's your job to show that off now. Good luck! :)

Once you've finished your team and have played around with it, post it in the thread with a quick description of how your team plays and your thought process when making it. A good explanation will make it a lot easier for people to make decisions once it's time for voting. Replays of the team in action are also highly encouraged but not necessary. Battle Spot and Showdown replays are both fine.

This week will end next Monday, Oct. 6(TBD) and the voting process can begin. I'll let the voting go on for a few days, or less, depending on how many votes we get.

coming soon! :]

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Reposting for the new thread:

Anyone who needs help getting competitive versions of pokemon--including an HP ice manectric--to build and ladder with in-game, follow the link in my sig to the battle spot distribution, where I'm currently giving away FOR FREE battle ready pokemon to help people compete. Please read and follow the instructions on the first post. If you think you'll need more than 1 pokemon from the distribution, please list them all in your initial post so I can batch clone them.

Also, please excuse the mess. I'm currently processing and adding newly donated pokemon.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Anyone who needs help getting competitive versions of pokemon--including an HP ice manectric--to build and ladder with in-game, follow the link in my sig to the battle spot distribution, where I'm currently giving away FOR FREE battle ready pokemon to help people compete. Please read and follow the instructions on the first post. If you think you'll need more than 1 pokemon from the distribution, please list them all in your initial post so I can batch clone them.
I don't see it listed in your thread?

I got a Manectric from EnGarde's trade thread, and I've been experimenting with it ever since, basically using it as one of two Megas in my team (the other being M-Kanga). I use the very standard Thunderbolt / HP: Ice / Flamethrower / Volt Switch, but my issue with M-Manectric is that it's often difficult to mega evolve it safely, I think. Base 105 Speed is a pretty good speed tier, but there are lots of threats that can outspeed it, and I won't even try to estimate how many times I've opened with M-Manectric and be forced to hard switch it out on the first turn.

This is all for singles, btw.

I got a Manectric from EnGarde's trade thread, and I've been experimenting with it ever since, basically using it as one of two Megas in my team (the other being M-Kanga). I use the very standard Thunderbolt / HP: Ice / Flamethrower / Volt Switch, but my issue with M-Manectric is that it's often difficult to mega evolve it safely, I think. Base 105 Speed is a pretty good speed tier, but there are lots of threats that can outspeed it, and I won't even try to estimate how many times I've opened with M-Manectric and be forced to hard switch it out on the first turn.

This is all for singles, btw.
Try protect over Tbolt. I've found that it's the best way. Whether VS is enough STAB.is another question.

Try protect over Tbolt. I've found that it's the best way. Whether VS is enough STAB.is another question.
Yeah, but the lower BP and the awkward times where you don't want to switch out which makes me not wanting to get rid of Thunderbolt. I could try it, I suppose, but I think a more effective strategy, in general, is to not lead with M-Manectric and pair him up with a bulky VoltTurner.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Pyritie Purgatory Hey, apologies, for the mess on the distribution thread. Things are a bit in upheaval, and I'm currently experimenting with different methods to help make things easier on me for organizing and listing pokemon, as well as for those requesting pokemon. I got a lot of donations in a small amount of time, and I've haven't had the time yet to properly verify everything and get everything organized to my liking. I've got everything, though, and it will all be properly listed when RL settles down a bit soon. ;)

Since nobody's replied to this with a team yet I'm gonna extend the deadlines quite a bit. I won't set an exact date yet cause I don't expect the thread to get too much activity. So this will probably go at a fairly slow pace, possibly a month each.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
I started using Tbolt, Overheat/flamethrower, Volt Switch, HP Ice; manectric has an amazing coverage, it gets intimidate + an amazing boosted speed when mega, hp ice checks a lot of common threats like Garchomp, Lando, Salamence, etc, tbolt is for the powerful STAB attack, Overheat/flamethrower is good for common steel and/or grass types (like ferro rofl), then volt switch for a safe switch thanks to its amazing speed, to sum it all, Manectric is bae.

Got me to 1400s on the PS! Battle Spot Singles ladder.

Seems like a good idea, I have no reason to stop it. And on a manectric note, I'd say it's an awesome pokemon. With it's speed and spA, not many things can outspeed it, and even take a hit.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
I started using Tbolt, Overheat/flamethrower, Volt Switch, HP Ice; manectric has an amazing coverage, it gets intimidate + an amazing boosted speed when mega, hp ice checks a lot of common threats like Garchomp, Lando, Salamence, etc, tbolt is for the powerful STAB attack, Overheat/flamethrower is good for common steel and/or grass types (like ferro rofl), then volt switch for a safe switch thanks to its amazing speed, to sum it all, Manectric is bae.

Got me to 1400s on the PS! Battle Spot Singles ladder.
Ok here's the team I used:

Manectric-Mega (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Doesn't really need an explanation, already gave it before.

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

The must-have team member, hits hard + priority.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

My wall, perfect for physical pokemon who might deal a good ammount of damage to manectric (and any other pokemon).

Greninja (M) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse

My fast special attacker, running HP Fire due to some ferrothorn giving it trouble, works surprisingly good.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

The scarfed beast, hits hard enough and has enough bulk to live a banded brave bird for talon, fire blast is in the same situation as HP fire with greninja, ferrothorn.

Lucario-Mega (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Finally, my second mega pokemon, just in case manectric might have trouble with some teams, with just 1 SD it can OHKO a lot of things, even pokemon that resist it, ice punch just in case some non-scarfed lando appears.

As you can see it's a really offensive team but it works just fine, just need to know how to use it. :]

Last edited:
Nice team Feliburn. :) I like that your using 2 megas as a back up for mega manectric and that you have a good defensive wall in the form of ferro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)