Technical Support v2 [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

1. OS - Windows 11
2. Web Browser - Downloadable App
3. Other Browsers attempted - Google Chrome
4. When did this start? - August 28th
5. PS Username - swishyy
6. Problem - I can't access my teambuilder at all on the showdown app. "lol zarel this is a horrible teambuilder, that's because we're not done loading it...". It works on the web browser but I end up losing all of my teams. In the downloadable app, I can still use my teams in games and it still lets me select them, but I can't edit them or create new ones. I've tried restarting the app, logging out, and restarting my computer but I'm not sure what else I can do without risking deleting all of my teams. Sadly there's no way for me to copy and paste the teams since the builder won't even load. Would uninstalling and reinstalling work? I don't want to accidentally delete all my teams.
1693271796355.png

1. OS - Windows 11
2. Web Browser - Downloadable App
3. Other Browsers attempted - Google Chrome
4. When did this start? - August 28th
5. PS Username - swishyy
6. Problem - I can't access my teambuilder at all on the showdown app. "lol zarel this is a horrible teambuilder, that's because we're not done loading it...". It works on the web browser but I end up losing all of my teams. In the downloadable app, I can still use my teams in games and it still lets me select them, but I can't edit them or create new ones. I've tried restarting the app, logging out, and restarting my computer but I'm not sure what else I can do without risking deleting all of my teams. Sadly there's no way for me to copy and paste the teams since the builder won't even load. Would uninstalling and reinstalling work? I don't want to accidentally delete all my teams. View attachment 546459
I can confirm this.
PS Username: GarbodorSays
Web Browser: Downloadable App
Other Browsers tried: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera GX
1693273473347.png

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
  1. Windows 11
  2. Firefox
  3. Works on Edge and Chrome
  4. 9/21/2023 2:00 PM PST
  5. SidTheShuckle
  6. 1695331034518.png
looks like Firefox is not allowing me to connect to SmogTours server. It's working on the main psim server. Not sure if other servers are affected.

1. Windows 10
  2. Chrome
  3. I've also tried Firefox and Opera. Same thing happens.
  4. Last week
  5. Brods1
  6. Every time I enter the simulator's site I get the messege "could not connect to server". When I try on my phone using the wi-fi internet same happens. But when I try using my phone's 4G internet it works.

Last edited:
  1. Windows 10
  2. Chrome
  3. I've also tried Firefox and Opera. Same thing happens.
  4. Last week
  5. Brods1
  6. Every time I enter the simulator's site I get the messege "could not connect to server". When I try on my phone using the wi-fi internet same happens. But when I try using my phone's 4G internet it works.
Having the same issue with all the same conditions, Showdown name is TheFlamer.

Cannot connect to Showdown at all (and now i cant play gen 6 randbats uuuuguguguguh :(((
Operating system: MacOS Monterey 12.2.1
Web Browser: Google Chrome, version unknown
Have you tried other browsers? I've also tried Safari, still gives the same error
When did this problem start? Today when I tried accessing PS
Your PS username: SoftSandBee
Problem: "Couldn't connect to server!" Every time I try to connect, with both HTTP and HTTPS

1. Operating system: NixOS 23.11
  2. Web Browser (with version, if you know it): Firefox 118.0.1
  3. Have you tried other browsers? If so, which one, and does this problem happen on them as well? Chromium 116.0.5845.187 has the same issue.
  4. When did this problem start? Unknown
  5. Your PS username: leo60228
  6. And of, course, your problem (include any error messages verbatim. give frequency, etc.). Using HTTPS with a custom server gives a SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP error. Compare the results for https://example.com.psim.us, http://example.com.psim.us, https://example.psim.us, and http://example.psim.us. The former gives an SSL error before the client can even load, while the other three all give the expected result of the client being unable to connect to the non-existent server. The same issue occurs for actual servers too, but as this appears to be a misconfiguration in the hosting of the client, the server itself doesn't seem relevant.
    Registering the server would be a simple workaround that also provides other benefits. However, server registration is currently closed indefinitely, so any newly created servers have to use the full domain.

Last edited:
Error says "couldn't connect to server"

1. Operating system: Windows 11
2. Showdown downloaded app and FireFox. Version 118.0.1
3. Chrome and (shudder) Microsoft Edge. Same issue
4. Unsure exactly, but I think since the beginning of October
5. Neolance34. Like my account
6. No additional information can be provided other than "could not connect to server." Error applies to both HTTPS and HTTP

Note: On my hotspot, it works, but on my home IP, it fails. What reason could there be for this and how would I go about fixing it?

• windows 10
  • showdown app, microsoft edge
  • only the app and edge atm
  • 3 days ago
  • tommytt22
  • can't connect to server, try http (although this doesn't work). I was pretty surprised that this effected both the app and online. link in OG post says showdown server is working. Can play it on phone hotspot but not on home network. have tried another computer, still cannot connect.

Last edited:
  1. Windows 10
  2. Firefox
  3. Chrome, Edge
  4. 06/10/2023
  5. Argot5
  6. Every time I go to play.pokemonshowdown.com I get "could not connect to server". Can connect from mobile data on my phone, or via a VPN however so I suppose it's my home wi-fi that is the issue. Have checked firewalls on devices and router, nothing obvious that would cause this. Looks like a few posters above are having the same issue...

Last edited:
Error says "couldn't connect to server"

1. Operating system: Windows 11
2. Showdown downloaded app and FireFox. Version 118.0.1
3. Chrome and (shudder) Microsoft Edge. Same issue
4. Unsure exactly, but I think since the beginning of October
5. Neolance34. Like my account
6. No additional information can be provided other than "could not connect to server." Error applies to both HTTPS and HTTP

Note: On my hotspot, it works, but on my home IP, it fails. What reason could there be for this and how would I go about fixing it?
I have exactly the same issue

1. OS Windows 10
2/3. Showdown app, chrome, Firefox
4. Since last week some time, before the weekend.
5. md06
6. Keep getting the message "couldn't connect to the server". I have tried restarting computer and internet, have no issues with anything else on computer. Internet is also fine, able to play other games online and stream with zero issues. PS will only work for me if I use my mobile data.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Concerning the above "Cannot connect to server!" technical support posts:

We are working on fixing an ongoing issue relating to a subset of using being unable to connect to the simulation server (hence why the webpage loads, but fails to connect). This issue is affecting a subset of users who are using a particular ISP (Internet Service Provider), (which will not be named here for privacy reasons) because the ISP is missing a DNS (Domain Name System) record on at least one DNS server. This is not an issue on our end or your end, its an issue on your ISP's end (between you and showdown). As a result we will be reaching out to the appropriate parties as soon as we have finished gathering all required information to attempt to get this fixed.

EDIT: We have reached out but due to time zone differences and other difficulties, this is taking a while to resolve. Thank you for your continued patience.

EDIT 2: Things keep relapsing, I encourage you to look into setting up your device to use a different DNS server https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

We are working on fixing an ongoing issue relating to a subset of using being unable to connect to the simulation server (hence why the webpage loads, but fails to connect). This issue is affecting a subset of users who are using a particular ISP (Internet Service Provider), (which will not be named here for privacy reasons) because the ISP is missing a DNS (Domain Name System) record on at least one DNS server. This is not an issue on our end or your end, its an issue on your ISP's end (between you and showdown). As a result we will be reaching out to the appropriate parties as soon as we have finished gathering all required information to attempt to get this fixed.

I also have the same issue so would appreciate being notified when a fix arrives, thanks.

Appreciate the hard work, experiencing the exact same issue.

If it hasn't been reported yet, please include Telstra to the list of problematic ISPs

1. Windows 11
  2. Chrome
  3. Tried in Opera and firefox, did not work.
  4. Has been ongoing for a week with no change
  5. Fennel06
  6. 1697199449430.png
It keeps displaying this message no matter if I have http or https in the url, even tried the Windows app and that appeared with the same message. In addition to this, I have tried restarting my router, restarting my device, and aforementioned changing browsers.

1697199529178.png

Additionally, all modded clients (such as Draft League or Radical Red, two quite important ones for me) display this message.

I have also deleted cookies to see if that did anything, it did not.

sdfsdsds.PNG

Hey for anyone still having this issue, I have a temporary fix/workaround for just until it gets fixed on the ISP's end. All you need to do is change your DNS, which, I am an absolute idiot when it comes to computers, so I didn't know what that was or how to change it, but I got a friend to help me. You can use this Google article to do it in Windows: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Shoutout to @Bray_VGC on twitter for posting the fix, and just to clarify, this worked for me instantly, I am now playing Showdown after being unable to connect for several days.

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
Had the same issue as all the aussies, if any of u guys have a vpn u can connect to it and the issue sorts itself out for some reason

Last edited:
I had the exact same issues
View attachment 562653
Hey for anyone still having this issue, I have a temporary fix/workaround for just until it gets fixed on the ISP's end. All you need to do is change your DNS, which, I am an absolute idiot when it comes to computers, so I didn't know what that was or how to change it, but I got a friend to help me. You can use this Google article to do it in Windows: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Shoutout to @Bray_VGC on twitter for posting the fix, and just to clarify, this worked for me instantly, I am now playing Showdown after being unable to connect for several days.
I had the exact same issue (Telstra internet) and this definitely fixed it thanks a lot!

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I can confirm the DNS record on the server has been fixed, as a result everyone should be able to connect again! Please do not hesitate to post in this thread again if there are further issues.

I can confirm the DNS record on the server has been fixed, as a result everyone should be able to connect again! Please do not hesitate to post in this thread again if there are further issues.
Really hate to say this. Could connect earlier tonight AEST 6:00pm, now can't again AEST 8:30pm. It seems like the problem is back again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)