move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Ice Beam / Toxic Spikes
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Liquid Ooze
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Tentacruel is generally used as a defensive supporter, this set takes a more aggressive approach, and functions as both an offensive threat and a Rapid Spinner. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel’s main form of STAB, dealing major damage to any Pokemon that does not resist it. Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel’s secondary form of STAB, and offers excellent neutral damage when combined with Hydro Pump. Additionally, Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types significantly harder than Ice Beam. The last move is up to personal preference; Ice Beam secures OHKOs on Dragonite and Flygon, while Toxic Spikes supports the team by wearing the enemy down. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used to give Tentacruel some form of recovery, it also hits Swampert harder than any of the aforementioned moves. Hidden Power Electric is a valid option if you wish to OHKO Gyarados.</p>

<p>The EV spread is different from Tentacruel’s standard set, and is one that you'd more likely find on a standard special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to outpace threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, and Gliscor, as well as Speed tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item as it strengthens Tentacruel’s average base 80 Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output, guaranteeing a 2HKO on Defensive Rotom-A. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders. Clear Body doesn’t help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of stat-lowering) don’t matter to the specially-based Tentacruel.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>At a glance, this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, Tentacruel sports several distinctive qualities that set it apart from its Water / Psychic rival. Tentacruel's Poison typing allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes upon entry. Its neutrality to Grass- and Dark-type attacks make it easier for Tentacruel to switch in; it is also not Pursuit-trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters. Its resistance to Bug helps it switch in against U-turners, namely Scizor and Infernape. Tentacruel also has greater special bulk, allowing it to switch in easily on resisted Fire-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks. However, Starmie deals more damage with its higher base Special Attack, outruns more Pokemon with its higher base Speed, threatens opposing Water-types with Thunderbolt, and has increased longevity with Recover.</p>

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks is its inability to deal with typical bulky Waters such as Vaporeon and Suicune; while Starmie is able to power through with Thunderbolt, Tentacruel's Sludge Bomb barely makes a dent. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground-type weakness and a low base Defense stat, making it incredibly vulnerable to the common Earthquake. Rotom-A and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Celebi effortlessly shrug off both Electric- and Ground-type moves. Teammates such as Scizor and Jirachi appreciate Tentacruel as it can switch into Fire-type attacks with ease.</p>

You could mention Giga Drain as an option instead of HP Electric. It only has 10% less base power (you still hit most bulky waters for almost nothing) and it provides Tentacruel with a somewhat unreliable (but still) recovery move which can be used to heal the recoil damage from Life Orb. It also does more to Swampert.

You haven't mentioned an ability but I still think Liquid Ooze is the prefered one.

This is actually a very cool set. When you were talking about it on IRC the other day I decided to try it on a team where Starmie just wasn't cutting it for a Heatran switch-in and I desperately needed the Toxic Spikes removal. It did great in the slot and totally messed some stuff up. I definitely like the way this set plays, and it has a lot of differences from Starmie that make it unique and better in enough ways to merit a set on-site.

Thanks SDS, my mistake and yea Dusk the team I used to test Tenta with had nearly the same problem prior. Thanks for the support :).

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love the way Tenta is used here. I've been looking for ways to abuse his base 100 Speed and his amazing Special Defense.

I have also used Tenta as a scarfed revenge killer so I do like Tentacruel's offensive capabilities.

I fully support this set.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think that Toxic Spikes can perhaps have a mention in AC over HP electric or Sludge Bomb. Celebi won't appreciate taking a LO Ice Beam, and bulky waters like Vaporeon would be set up bait for Tentacruel.

I used to run something exactly like this, so I can attest to its effectiveness.

The only difference is that I ran Toxic Spikes instead of Ice Beam since I can 2HKO Dragonite with Sludge Bomb as it switches in after rocks. I also didn't run Hidden Power Electric because Sludge Bomb already hits Offense Gyara hard enough for a 2HKO. Bulky Variants are another story however.

Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric are most definitly fine though, as they are good for the immediate kill on things and not worrying about trying to hit things on the switch. Perhaps make an AC mention of Toxic Spikes when you write the article?

So many things like Breloom and Mamoswine stay in against this Tentacruel and get OHKO'd expecting to do damage to the much more common slow Tentacruel. The suprise factor is amazing, without sacrificing quality.

Tentacruel does have a niche while doing this, and I just feel like I had to post to attest that it worked for me as well. It just has a unique set of resistences, toxic spikes removal, great bulk, ideal speed, and the movepool to do its job.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why does this need life orb? Seems to me it'd work a lot more effectively with leftovers as the opponent is much more likely to assume its the bulky version and do something stupid like try to revenge with gliscor, set up nite etc. etc.

Without Life Orb it loses out on a 2HKO against Rotom-A and Swampert. Other than that I don't think Life Orb grants any other significant KOs. Maybe Lefties could get a slash?

I'm willing to Slash Leftovers for sure, I seem to have forgotten to list it in AC like I was planning to. The reason why Leftovers isn't the main option is mostly for two reasons. 1 Being it needs Life Orb to 2HKO Rotom-A as the above poster mentioned, which is pretty important as Rapid Spinning is the primary purpose of this set. The second being that Tentacruel is relatively weak (80 base SpA) and it can really use the 30% power boost.

grammar edits in pink
prose edits in blue

[box][SET]
name: Offensive Spinner
move 1: Hydro Pump

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on taking a more offensive approach to utilizing Tentacruel. While Tentacruel is generally used defensively in order to provide support, this Tentacruel functions as both an offensive threat and a Rapid Spinner. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel’s main form of STAB, dealing major damage to any Pokemon who does not resist it. Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel’s secondary form of STAB and when combined with Hydro Pump offers excellent neutral damage. Additionally, Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types significantly harder than Ice Beam does. The last move is up to personal preference; Ice Beam secures OHKOs on Dragonite and Flygon while Toxic Spikes wears opponents down. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used in order to give Tentacruel some form of recovery as well as a means of hitting Swampert more effectively, while Hidden Power Electric can be used to OHKO Gyarados.</p>

<p>The EV spread is different from that of Tentacruel’s standard set, but is one that you'd likely find on any special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to outpace threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, and Gliscor, and Speed tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item of choice as it mitigates Tentacruel’s average 80 base Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output as well as a guaranteed 2HKO on Defensive Rotom-A. However, Leftovers is also a viable option if the recoil is off-setting. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders. Clear Body doesn’t help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of Stat lowering) don’t affect the specially-based Tentacruel.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie at a glance, this is certainly not the case. Tentacruel sports several qualities that Starmie does not possess such as the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in (due to its Poison typing), a neutrality to Grass- and Dark-type attacks (Dark in particular means it can't be Pursuit trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters), a resistance to Bug type attacks (important for Scizor and U-Turn Infernape), and far more special bulk. However, this set does face stiff competition with Starmie, who has 20 more base Special attack, 15 more base Speed and possession of the moves Recover and Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks is its inability to deal with typical Bulky Waters such as Vaporeon and Suicune. While Starmie is able to Thunderbolt these foes, Tentacruel is only able to scratch these Pokemon with Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground-type weakness and is very susceptible to Ground attacks when factoring in its low Defense. Rotom-A and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Celebi can switch into Electric- and Ground-type moves. Teammates such as Scizor or Jirachi find use in Tentacruel as it can switch into Fire-type attacks with ease.</p>[/box]

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tentacruel

-------------------------------------------------------

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set focuses on taking a more offensive approach to utilizing Tentacruel. While most Tentacruel generally are more defensive in order to support the team, this Tentacruel set functions as an offensive threat while also acting and as a Rapid Spinner. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel’s main form of STAB, dealing major damage to any Pokemon that does not resist it. Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel’s secondary form of STAB attack/ and When combined with Hydro Pump, it offers excellent neutral damage. Additionally, Sludge Bomb coverage and also hits Grass types significantly harder than Ice Beam. The last spot is up to personal preference, Ice Beam secures OHKOs on Dragonite and Flygon while Tentacruel can also opt to run Toxic Spikes in order to Toxic Spikes supports the team by wearing the enemy down. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used in order to give Tentacruel some form of recovery as well as hitting and hits Swampert for more than any of the other aforementioned moves. while Additionally, Hidden Power Electric can be used to OHKO Gyarados.</p>

<p>Although the EV spread is different from Tentacruel’s standard, it but is one that you would likely find on any special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to speed tie with other base 100s and outpace threats it normally wouldn’t such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, and Gliscor. and Speed tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item of choice as it mitigates bolsters Tentacruel’s average subpar 80 base Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output as well as guaranteeing a 2HKO on Defensive Rotom-A. However, Leftovers is also a viable option if the recoil is undesirable. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders while Clear Body does not help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of Stat lowering) do not affect it since Tentacruel is specially offensive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>At a glance, While this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, at a glance, this is certainly not the case. Tentacruel sports several qualities that Starmie does not possess. such as its ability to absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in (due to its Poison typing), neutrality to Grass and Dark Type attacks (Dark in particular means it can't be pursuit trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters), resistance to Bug type attacks (important for Scizor and U-Turn Infernape), and far more special defense bulk. However, this set does face stiff competition with Starmie who has 20 more base Special attack, 15 more base Speed and possession of the attacks Recover and Thunderbolt.</p>

I'm just going to re-write this paragraph because it will look like a huge wall of crossouts and boldings.

At a glance, this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, Tentacruel sports several qualities that Starmie does not possess. Tentacruel's Poison typing lets it alleviate its team by absorbing Toxic Spikes upon switching in. Its neutrality to Grass, and Dark Type attacks make it easier for Tentacruel to switch in. Its lack of a Dark Type weakness prevents it from being Pursuit-trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters. Its resistance to Bug Attacks help it switch in against U-Turners, namely Scizor and Infernape. It also has a greater Special bulk, allowing it to switch in easily on resisted Fire, Water, and Ice attacks. However, Starmie has 20 more base Special Attack, 15 more Base Speed, and access to Thunderbolt and Recover.

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks is its inability to deal with typical Bulky Waters that are bound to easily switch in such as Vaporeon and Suicune. While Starmie is able to Thunderbolt these foes, Tentacruel is only able to merely scratches these Pokemon with a Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground type weakness and is very susceptible to them especially when factoring in its low Defense. Rotom-A and Grass types, in particular Shaymin and Celebi, in particular resist or are immune both Electric and Ground type moves. (for Rotom-A, a Ground immunity). Teammates such as Scizor or Jirachi find use in Tentacruel because they attract Fire type attacks for Tentacruel to switch in with ease as it can switch into Fire type attacks with ease.</p>

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
-Faladran does a proofread
-Megan_Fox hasn't edited that in yet
-StevenSnype comes and does another proofread
-Now Megan_Fox has two distinctly different proofreads for the same piece of writing

Does anyone else see the problem here? I appreciate the enthusiasm guys but can you hold off until the author's had a chance to edit their writing? Otherwise these proofreads are just going to be counterproductive. For the sake of all that is good and holy, check the Last Edited time on the OP.

Yeah, I made the same mistake when I first started. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong here, but Megan needs a chance to get the edits in before anything else happens.

grammar edits in pink
prose edits in blue

[box][SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more offensive approach to utilizing Tentacruel. While Tentacruel
is generally used defensively in order to provide support, this set functions as both an offensive threat and a Rapid Spinner. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel’s main form of STAB, dealing major damage to any Pokemon who does not resist it. Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel’s secondary form of STAB and when combined with Hydro Pump offers excellent neutral damage. Additionally, Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types significantly harder than Ice Beam does. The last move is up to personal preference; Ice Beam secures OHKOs on Dragonite and Flygon while Toxic Spikes supports the team by wearing the enemy down. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used in order to give Tentacruel some form of recovery and hits Swampert for more than any of the other aforementioned moves. Additionally, Hidden Power Electric can be used to OHKO Gyarados.</p>

<p>The EV spread is different from Tentacruel’s standard set, but is one that you'd likely find on a special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to outpace threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, and Gliscor, and Speed tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item of choice as it mitigates Tentacruel’s average 80 base Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output as well as a
guaranteed 2HKO on Defensive Rotom-A. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders. Clear Body doesn’t help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of Stat lowering) don’t affect the specially-based Tentacruel.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>At a glance, this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, Tentacruel sports several qualities that Starmie does not possess. Tentacruel's Poison typing allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes upon switching in. Its neutrality to Grass- and Dark-type attacks make it easier for Tentacruel to switch in. Its lack of a Dark-type weakness prevents it from being Pursuit-trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters. Its resistance to Bug attacks helps it switch in against U-Turners, namely Scizor and Infernape. Tentacruel also has greater Special bulk, allowing it to switch in easily on resisted Fire, Water, and Ice attacks. However, Starmie has 20 more base Special Attack, 15 more Base Speed, and access to Thunderbolt and Recover.</p>

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks
is its inability to deal with typical Bulky Waters such as Vaporeon and Suicune. While Starmie is able to Thunderbolt these foes, Tentacruel is only able to scratch these Pokemon with Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground-type weakness and is very susceptible to Ground attacks when factoring in its low Defense. Rotom-A and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Celebi resist or are immune to both Electric- and Ground-type moves. Teammates such as Scizor and Jirachi find use in Tentacruel as it can switch into Fire-type attacks with ease.</p>[/box]

Good job; there wasn't much to fix!

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Sorry about the double-post. When I originally started, I went afk for a while since I had some questions on what Megan meant. By the time I had got back to the computer, Faladran had already posted and I did not see it. My apologies.

Most of it is fine. Errors that I have noticed:

MeganFox said:
<p>Although the (1) EV spread is different from Tentacruel’s standard set, it (2) is one that you'd likely find on any special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to outpace threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, Gliscor and Speed(3) tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item of choice as it strengthens(4) Tentacruel’s average 80 base Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output as well as a guaranteed-setting. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders. Clear Body doesn’t help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of Stat lowering) don’t affect the specially-based Tentacruel.</p>

<p>At a glance, this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, Tentacruel sports several qualities that Starmie does not possess. Tentacruel's Poison typing lets it alleviate its team by absorbing Toxic Spikes upon switching in. Its neutrality to Grass, and Dark Type attacks make it easier for Tentacruel to switch in. Its lack of a Dark Type weakness prevents it from being Pursuit-trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters. Its resistance to Bug Attacks help it switch in against U-Turners, namely Scizor and Infernape. It also has a greater Special bulk, allowing it to switch in easily on resisted Fire, Water, and Ice attacks. However, Starmie has 20 more base Special Attack, 15 more Base Speed, and access to Thunderbolt and Recover. *</p>

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks is its inability to deal with typical Bulky Waters such as Vaporeon and Suicune. While Starmie is able to Thunderbolt these foes, Tentacruel is only able to scratch these Pokemon with Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground-type weakness and is very susceptible to Ground attacks when factoring in its low Defense. Rotom-A and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Celebi resist or are immune both Electric and Ground type moves. Teammates such as Scizor or Jirachi find use in Tentacruel as it can switch into Fire-type attacks with ease.</p>
1. Capitalization Error.
2. Fragment
3. I do not recall whether or not Speed tie is capitalized. I do not think it is; someone else can verify this.
4. Word choice. Mitigate means to moderate.
5. Unnecessary period

*: This section simply states Starmie's stats. The problem is that the rest of the paragraph analyzes how Tentacruel's stats make it better than Starmie. For this paragraph to fairly compare Starmie and Tentacruel, it should elaborate on Starmie's benefits. A suggested edit would be:

However, Starmie deals more damage with its higher base Special Attack, outruns more Pokemon with its higher base Speed, threatens opposing Water-types with Thunderbolt, and has increased longevity with Recover.

Edit: Deja vu

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
4 proofreads later lol...

GP CHECK 1/2

Delete
Add

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more offensive approach to utilizing Tentacruel. While Tentacruel is generally used as a defensive supporter defensively in order to provide support, this set takes a more aggressive approach, and functions as both an offensive threat and a Rapid Spinner. Hydro Pump is Tentacruel’s main form of STAB, dealing major damage to any Pokemon who that does not resist it. Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel’s secondary form of STAB, and when combined with Hydro Pump offers excellent neutral damage. Additionally, Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types significantly harder than Ice Beam does. The last move is up to personal preference; Ice Beam secures OHKOs on Dragonite and Flygon, while Toxic Spikes supports the team by wearing the enemy down. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used in order to give Tentacruel some form of recovery, and it also hits Swampert for more harder than any of the other aforementioned moves. Additionally, Hidden Power Electric can be used is a valid option if you wish to OHKO Gyarados.</p>

<p>The EV spread is different from Tentacruel’s standard set, but it and is one that you'd more likely find on a standard special sweeper. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Tentacruel to deal as much damage as possible, while 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Tentacruel to outpace threats such as Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, and Gliscor, as well as and Speed tie with other base 100s. Life Orb is the preferred item of choice as it strengthens Tentacruel’s average base 80 base Special Attack with a 30% boost in damage output, as well as guaranteeing a guaranteed 2HKO on Defensive Rotom-A. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seeders. Clear Body doesn’t help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate (the only common method of stat-lowering) don’t affect matter to the specially-based Tentacruel.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>At a glance, this set may seem inferior to Life Orb Starmie; however, Tentacruel sports several distinctive qualities that set it apart from its Water / Psychic rival Starmie does not possess. Tentacruel's Poison typing allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes upon entry switching in. Its neutrality to Grass- and Dark-type attacks make it easier for Tentacruel to switch in; Its lack of a Dark-type weakness prevents it from being it is also not Pursuit-trapped so easily, a common issue that Starmie encounters. Its resistance to Bug attacks helps it switch in against U-turners, namely Scizor and Infernape. Tentacruel also has greater special bulk, allowing it to switch in easily on resisted Fire-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks. However, Starmie deals more damage with its higher base Special Attack, outruns more Pokemon with its higher base Speed, threatens opposing Water-types with Thunderbolt, and has increased longevity with Recover.</p>

<p>One of Tentacruel’s biggest drawbacks is its inability to deal with typical bulky Waters such as Vaporeon and Suicune; while Starmie is able to power through with Thunderbolt these foes, Tentacruel's Sludge Bomb is only able to scratch these Pokemon barely makes a dent with Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel also suffers from a Ground-type weakness and is very susceptible to Ground attacks when factoring in its a low base Defense stat, making it incredibly vulnerable to the common Earthquake. Rotom-A and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Celebi resist or are immune to effortlessly shrug off both Electric- and Ground-type moves. Teammates such as Scizor and Jirachi find use in appreciate Tentacruel as it can switch into Fire-type attacks with ease.</p>

mainly prose edits to cut down on repetition and awkward wording

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)