Not open for further replies.
Smeargle (FEARgle) lead
lv. 1 0 speed IVs
Own Tempo brave focus sash

Spore
Endeavor
Trick Room
Dragon rage

This set works a lot like a FEAR set, but with some key differences that give it much more utility than a normal FEAR pokemon. Trick Room guarentees the first hit against everything, and this speed setup lowers it's speed from 6 to 5 in the event of other level 1's (rare, but as it has no cost to smeargle, there is no reason not to go for the lowest possible speed). Being a lead, it comes in before entry hazards can ruin it.

The strategy is to use trick room to gain priority first turn, or spore against priority users and pokemon that probably don't hold a lum/chesto berry. Or in the event of a tyranitar, use endeavor to bring it down to 1 hp before the sandstorm makes smeargle useless. The next attack is very situational. If still at full health, use spore to incapacitate whatever is out or endeavor if the opponent probably has a lum/chesto berry. If the opponent is incapacitated by spore with trick room out, you endeavor. Then dragon rage guarentees a kill against almost every pokemon in the game, as even if smeargle is at full health leftovers recovery + smeargle's 12 HP is less than 40 for anything other than Chansey and Blissey, and will kill those two if Smeargle did it's endeavor at 1 health.

In this situation, the two most common possibilities are:

1 - you KO'd the opponents lead with one turn of trick room left, enabling you to spore the switch-in, trick room again, and at least get one endeavor in if not also another dragon rage, and if you are really lucky, spore and endeavor a third pokemon

or 2 - the opponent's lead is asleep, his switch in is KO'd, and you have one turn on trick room left to bring the opponent's next pokemon down to 1 hp.

While this set seems like a complete glass cannon that is easily wrecked, it is guarenteed to do a lot of damage even if this ideal situation does not play out, provided proper prediction. Should an opponent have something to stop smeargle, that pokemon will either be at 1 hp or if it's a ghost, put to sleep if predicted correctly. The only things that truely counter this are jirachi leads 60% of the time that they use iron head as a first attack due to iron head flinch and hypnosis leads 60% of the time they use hypnosis. However, these are the only two complete counters I have encountered with this set, and in both cases Smeargle can beat both it's counters 40% of the time. If a lead is know to run taunt, it can be endeavored first turn and then dragon raged due to focus sash protection. Machamp is also a tough pokemon for smeargle because lum berry is common and it runs substitute, but because of own tempo, dynamic punch will not stop an endeavor, and endeavor kills substitutes in one hit.

This set does very poorly against Tyranitar and abomasnow, due to residual damage, and at best will reduce both to 1 hp, while at worst, a bad trick room or more commonly dragon rage will lead to sandstorm taking out smeargle's last hp while doing nothing to Tyranitar. It will also most likely need rapid spin support if it's switched out and is made useless if it is forced to leave the battle with less than full health, or forced to enter with entry hazards. However, it is fairly destructive for a glass cannon, as the most common bad scenarios will, with good prediction, leave an opponent with either a sleep condition, 1 hp, or both. This smeargle finds a good place on Trick room teams, but it uses up most its trick room turns, and will often benefit more from a team mate's trick room than provide support for a team mate, as this makes smeargle able to re-enter the battle even without full health. It is common for trick room to run out on this smeargle, and any support that this smeargle provides will be minimal.

This smeargle benefits greatly from team mates with priority moves and can lay entry hazards, as it is common for an opponent to be left with a pokemon at 1 hp which is either swiched out and thus can be easily KO'd by entry hazards, or stays in and thus having priority minimizes any potential risk.

Naturally, EVs are irrelivant to the performance of this set, and sketch can be taught via move tutor.

cool unique set

okay here is a cool set. most people expect blissey to be defensive. this blissey is offensive though for a surprise. It has modest with 252 speed 252 special attack and 4 hp. the item is choice specs. the moves are hidden power normal for stab, flamethrower, ice beam, and hyper beam for extra power. the ability is natural cure so it doesn't matter if poison spikes are around. this set does good against pokemon with low special defense and does bad against pokemon like other blissey with high special defense but still this set can sometimes 3HKO other blissey with hyper beam so at least thats something.

if you think there is something to change tell me. =]

EDIT: also if you are curious for whether hidden power normal is real, it is, look on shoddy.

Despite the fact Hidden Power Normal doesn't even exist, what good does this Blissey do at all? Blissey is used because of her abilty to wall special attacks and supporting the team, and this set does none of that. Oh and Hyper Beam ain't doing anything to other Blisseys since it's going to get stalled out, and without Natural Cure, this set is screwed by Toxic Spikes. Specs Blissey is a gimmick and nothing else

1. Bliss's Sp.Atk is terrible,
2. HP can't be Normal
3. It WILL matter if toxic spikes are down,
4. It would do 24.9% - 29.6% to a 252 HP/Sp.Def Blissey
Not worth the recharge >_>

Despite the fact Hidden Power Normal doesn't even exist, what good does this Blissey do at all? Blissey is used because of her abilty to wall special attacks and supporting the team, and this set does none of that. Oh and Hyper Beam ain't doing anything to other Blisseys since it's going to get stalled out, and without Natural Cure, this set is screwed by Toxic Spikes. Specs Blissey is a gimmick and nothing else
yeah hidden power normal is real and this set is used for beating pokemon with low special attack. also i meant natural cure because thats why i said about poison spikes and will edit that.

4. It would do 24.9% - 29.6% to a 252 HP/Sp.Def Blissey
Not worth the recharge >_>
you forgot choice specs, it actually does 30-35% and like i said this blissey is bad against other blissey but at least its something.

yeah hidden power normal is real and this set is used for beating pokemon with low special attack. also i meant natural cure because thats why i said about poison spikes and will edit that.

Uh no it isin't. Show me proof Hidden Power Normal exists. And this set is still waste considering it'll get 1 kill, then it's usless and will dei because of no investment in it's defensive stats.

Edit: read this: http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/hidden_power do you see Hidden Power normal anywhere there?

No, HP can be anything BUT normal >_>
And his SP.ATk is 75 >_>
Yea, that's a BEASTY set. In fact, I dont even think MixApe could beat that set!
</sarcasm>

:edit: Darn it BL :p

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, HP normal may exist in particular things on Shoddy, but it does not exist in game. Also, awesome guy hun, don't waste your time with stuff like this. These are called gimmick sets, and until gimmicks become popular they are not worth putting in C&C.

another cool set

okay since you guys did noot like my blissey set (even though it can OHKO scizor, the #1OU pokemon) i made another set that is also pretty good. everyone thinks gliscor is always physical and so it is usually set up bait. but this set is different. this set has choice specs to surprise the other team. the ev is 252 special attack 252 speed 4 hp. the moveset is earth power for stab, hidden power flying for stab, roost for recovery and quick attack as filler but also a priority move. this set is cool in another way because if jirachi thinks it will trick a choice item onto you it is in for a big surprise when it has to keep using trick. this set is good against pokemon weak to ground moves and with low special attack and heatran is OHKOed. this set is bad against pokemon with high special attack.

this set is not a gimmick because it has lots of surprise value and can OHKO many threats in OU like heatran, breloom, and smeargle, and heavily damage others.

okay a not "gimmick" celebi set

Since you didn't like the other more unique sets, I made this. I've been testing a newer defensive Celebi lead that has been incredible and incredibly frustrating for my opponents. It's a bit of a mix between Uber Lead Celebi and OU Lead Celebi, so it might be OO or absorbed into one of those two sets if not outright scrapped for a lack of effectiveness or uniqueness (which, imo, is not the case). I've never done one of these before, so any help will be appreciated.

[SET]
name: Utility Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Leaf Storm
move 4: U-turn / Protect
item: Occa Berry
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 96 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A bulkier take on Lead Celebi, this set is designed to set up Stealth Rock and weather hits while performing a valuable scouting function with the Thunder Wave / U-turn combination. It matches up well against OU's most common leads, all but guaranteeing Stealth Rock while 2HKOing faster Taunt users like Azelf and Aerodactyl. Due to Celebi's impressive defenses, Thunder Wave is usually the best opening move, as it will give Celebi's switch-in a much easier time building momentum and will allow it to set up Stealth Rock on the following turn or U-turn out to an appropriate counter, saving Stealth Rock for later on in the match.</p>

<p>Thanks to Occa Berry and the given EVs, there is no common lead that can OHKO Celebi without a critical hit, allowing ample time to paralyze the opponent, set up Stealth Rock, and/or U-turn out, in whatever order seems best. In fact, the only common moves in OU that can OHKO this Celebi without stating-up first (bar Explosion and Selfdestruct) are Choice Band Scizor's U-turn and Choice Band Tyranitar's Pursuit on the switch. Celebi can U-turn out of Scizor with little worry, making Tyranitar the biggest threat to this set; however, if Celebi stays in and has above 57% HP, it is guaranteed two turns to either 2HKO with Leaf Storm + Stealth Rock damage 89% of the time, or both paralyze Tyranitar and hit it for 56.7% - 66.7% damage before going down, turning Tyranitar into much less of a threat for later on in the battle. On the less common side of things, Heracross's Megahorn, Choice Specs Magnezone's Signal Beam, and Adamant Choice Band Flygon's / Infernape's U-turn will OHKO, while Choice Specs Jolteon's Signal Beam has a 33% chance to OHKO, so be on the lookout for them.</p>

<p>The EVs are tailored to the lead metagame, such that Celebi is never 2HKOed by Metagross's Meteor Mash or Azelf's Fire Blast (barring max damage both turns for Azelf), meaning Celebi can paralyze, set up Stealth Rock, and U-turn to the appropriate counter, breaking opposing Focus Sashes in the process. They give Celebi 404 / 261 / 286 defenses, which is bulky enough to take +1 or +2 hits from the likes of Dragon Dance Gyarados and Calm Mind Latias mid to late-game while halting their sweeps with Thunder Wave. 60 Special Attack EVs are the minimum required to 2HKO opposing Aerodactyl and Azelf while OHKOing Swampert and having a 33% chance to OHKO Hippowdon.</p>

<p>Protect may be used over U-turn in the fourth slot if you want Celebi to scout for Choice users or Explosion, which is especially useful for a lead like Celebi, as many paralyzed leads such as Metagross, Heatran, and Azelf will prefer to go out with a bang over staying in as death fodder for later. Celebi is also great at drawing in Choice users, especially Scizor, who love to abuse U-turn to hit Celebi's glaring 4x weakness, so Protect may be useful in those cases so you can switch in something to take the hit and save Celebi for later. Usually, however, U-turn will be more useful for breaking Sashes and advantageously switching in other teammates, so Protect is the lesser option.</p>

<p>This Celebi has problems staying in for more than a few turns and poses no offensive threat to the likes of Infernape, Heatran, or Metagross, and its only powerful attack drastically lowers its Special Attack stat every time it uses it. As such, teammates that can quickly come in and take advantage of a paralyzed foe make great partners. Life Orb or Substitute Heatran is Celebi's classic partner and can grab a Flash Fire boost from the likes of leading Infernape, Heatran, and Azelf who take the offensive route right off the bat, although it must be wary of ShucaTran. Bulky stat-uppers like Gyarados and Latias also enjoy the immediate threat they pose against paralyzed foes, as does Substitute +3 Attacks Machamp. The only common leads Celebi has trouble with are Gliscor and sleep-inducing leads like Roserade and Smeargle. Gliscor, who can Taunt Celebi and has access to Roost, prevents Celebi both from 2HKOing and getting Stealth Rock up. Roserade and Smeargle both outrun and can use Sleep Powder/Spore to set up entry hazards, although Natural Cure will allow Celebi to switch out and free itself of status. For these reasons, Starmie makes an excellent partner, as it can scare off Gliscor, put a dent in Roserade and Smeargle, and has the added bonus of using Rapid Spin to remove opponents' entry hazards. It also has Natural Cure to free itself of poison / sleep status, so it won't be crippled throughout the match (it is advisable, however, to not switch Starmie directly into Roserade unless its Focus Sash is broken, as its STAB Grass attacks will OHKO).</p>

Torkoal (OU)

I've been playing with this OU Torkoal set for a while and it functions in four specific ways. Fortunately, nearly any team needs these four functions and Torkoal can come in and easily do the job. Please help me clean this up, and tell me if you need anymore details.

[SET]
name: OU Metagame Support
move 1: Hidden Power Ice
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Trick
move 4: Explosion/Eruption
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Torkoal's unique ability, White Smoke allows it to play an important role on many OU teams. With dragons, specifically Salamence rampant in OU, Hidden Power Ice is a sure way to OHKO these threats. Torkoal has an added advantage against Salamence in White Smoke; as soon as Salamence shows it's face, Torkoal can switch in without fear of it's attack being lowered. After Torkoal has checked any opposing dragons, it still has use as a decent rapid spinner. Trick allows you to cripple defensive pokemon like Blissey. Explosion is the preferred choice here, easily taking out another pokemon when Torkoal has served its purpose. Since steels like Skarmory fear special fire attacks, they will probably not switch in to whether the explosion. Eruption is incredibly strong and gets stab, but acts more as a filler move for better coverage. The given EV's allow Torkoal's main attacks to be maximised without compromising speed. When running Eruption, use Modest with 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This is easily one of Torkoal's best chances of breaking into OU. While it's stats are below average and pure fire types have a hard time switching in, Torkoal has specific purposes that will fit in on nearly any team. It counters the most common dragon threats, and ever-common steel types dare not switch in. Blissey, expecting special attacks will be very surprised when she is Tricked a Choice Scarf or exploded on.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Torkoal loves being paired with Flying types. While Torkoal clears the field of Stealth Rock, Flying types can easily come in safely and avoid the ground moves being aimed at Torkoal. Torkoal also appreciates a strong pursuit user to take out spin blockers. Honchkrow in particular fills this role well, playing as both a Flying type and having a STAB Pursuit and high base attack. When not running Eruption, Steel types wall this set, so Magnazone makes another good partner, trapping and killing the steels that get in this set's way.</p>

how does torkoal learn trick?\

also, how do you plan to stop mence. he is faster than you by a mile, and anything it uses kills you.

Yes, Salamence is ordinarily faster but not when Torkoal has a Scarf. This Torkoal can take one of any of Salamence's hits (barring +2 EQ's, but Salamence should be fainted before he gets to +2). As far as Trick, I've been using it on Shoddy, so maybe it's just a mistake on there? If so I will reword this and sub Eruption in for it, I think this Torkoal is worthwhile even without Trick.

Mew: OU Consideration

My good friend SpaceShark had this taken down wrongly, after having a lot of good points on the matter. So stop being butthurt and hear him out.
[2:08:30 PM] Alex (Spaceshark): Does Mew really belong in Ubers?

I believe Mew truly belongs in OU.
It has come to my concern that Mew is too underpowered in the uber metagame due to it being too frail, and being outclassed by everything else in what it does, and now with Salamence becoming uber I believe that Mew should be given a shot in the OU metagame. (And before I get comments about it, yes I will use Salamence as part of some of my opinions)

My overview: Mew seems underpowered and week in the uber metagame and can only be used a baton passer. It is outclasses as a special sweeper by Mewtwo, Palkia, Kyogre, and various other. As a Physical sweeper it is outclassed by Groudon, Giratina, Dialga, and others as well. It personally seems sad when I see such a good pokemon be used as just a stat boost passer, especially when all of it's smogon sets don't even suggest it's stabbed psychic attack. I know that Mew can use almost every move in the game which can give it an upper hand in most situations, but it is definitely manageable.

Salamence was moved to Ubers because it dominated the OU metagame, and had not a single perfect counter but only many checks. Mew on the other hand is much more manageable to kill as opposed to Salamence. There would no doubt be an increase in Tyranitar if people began to use Mew in OU due to it not being OHKO'd by an aura sphere and then revenge killed, and with the lack of Levitate which Azelf carries, makes Mew much harder to switch into a strong Earthquake or Earth Power from a Hippowdon, or a Heatran.

Exactly what can Mew really do in ubers? With all the faster, stronger, bulkier pokemon running around, Mew surely doesn't have much use aside from death fodder.

As a Swords dance passer, it fails in comparison to ninjask who also passes along speed, but has a key weakness to Stealth Rocks.

I guess it's only real use as a passer would be to pass off a nasty plot.

What I want to see is what Competitive battler can really do with a Mew in OU. It would certainly have a very interesting choice of movesets and uses considering it's insanely large movepool. You basically make it do anything you want.

What I first thought was "what would happen to Azelf in the ou metagame?"
Azelf outspeeds Mew, and makes a superior lead by getting off an easy taunt, setting up Stealth Rocks and getting the explosion off. Mew is just slightly bulkier and lacks Azelfs attacking power. I did mention also, that Azelf also has the superior ability.

Added comparison: This comparison will only include Jirachi, and Celebi.
First off I would like to compare Jirachi to Mew. Jirachi has superior typing (Steel) which helps it wall more types than Mew could ever wish for, sporting only weaknesses to Fire and Ground typing. It's ability Serene Grace, which allows it to paralyze and flinch opposing pokemon to death, even if Iron Head is resisted.

Second, in comparison with Celebi, I find Natural Cure much more useful than synchronize. I find it much easier to be able to heal off status effects on a switch than just sharing the status with the opposing pokemon. Of coarse the grass typing increases Celebi's weakness to bug typing, as well as adding the weakness to fire just like Jirachi, it does gain resistance to electric type attacks as well as water which are very common to find in OU.

Overall I'd say if people find Jirachi manageable in OU then Mew certanly belongs there too.

Last of all I'd like to bring up my opinion on what pokemon may see an increase in OU if Mew was tiered there.

Deffinetly Tyranitar being a great counter to Mew, especially if scarfed. If Mew takes the role as a lead then Azelf leads may see a decrease but maybe an increase as a sweeper. I currently cannot think about anything else except for Taunters to easily counter a baton passing mew but I would honestly like readers opinions.

Thank you for reading and if anything I have written here sounds odd then I apologize because I am tired and I wanted to get this done. Thank you

As an added note, Mew could definitely see a spot as a Utility in a Rain Dance team.

I would definitely like feedback and honest opinions about this matter. Thank you Smogon.
Now, please have a mature discussion about this. If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Regards

Will and Alex (Myself and Spaceshark)

All Out Porygon-Z

[SET]
move1: Hyper Beam
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Blizzard
move 4: Dark Pulse
nature: Modest
ability: Download
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd 252 / 4 HP

This set maximizes the full potential of Porygon Z if it weren't for the moves' accuracy.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Stop posting garbage like this. This is your fifth "analysis", the fifth time you have flagrantly violated the rules of the Quality Control forum, the fifth time you have demonstrated your incompetence, and the fifth time I have had to stomach your gut-wrenchingly bad threads. And worst of all, you rejoice in your ignorance of even the periphery of competitive Pokemon, you wear your dunce cap as a badge of glory. Enough is enough.

To other mods: Please do not move this thread. Last time, the OP evidently did not see the warning that I posted. Let this serve as an example for everyone of exactly what not to do.

Machamp (Substitute +3 Attacks analysis)

Why not change the Dynamic Punch to Focus Punch. It provides greater power compared to Dynamic Punch, if you do not mind of the confusion drop. Or give the users an option to choose between those two. But everyone has their own opinion on everything :).

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, not sure what to say here...

But this doesn't look like it'd be acceptable Quality Check material. Should the thread be locked, I advise you to PM a mod about this next time.

Oh, and Dynamic Punch is a better option because Machamp can't afford to take repeated hits, since, like, every opponent will be desperate to beat it. Plus the secondary confusion effect and great 150 Base STAB has greater consistency against troublesome enemies such as Jirachi and Breloom.

P.S. If you REALLY want to add Focus Punch to the Sub set, visit the Machamp update in the Articles and Analyses thread (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74767&page=3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)