Terrorist Cup Discussion Thread

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Terrorist Cup

What is Terrorist Cup?
Terrorist Cup is a (currently) unofficial tier consisting of a very select range of Pokemon, affectionately referred to as "tcup" or "tc". It is standard Pokemon... except:

• All Pokemon used in Terrorist Cup must carry Explosion or Selfdestruct.
Standard rules apply, including:

• Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Soul Dew Clause: The item Soul Dew is banned in the OU environment.
  • Note that there is no Self KO Clause; if a player uses Explosion or Selfdestruct and forces a tie, the user of the move wins.
What Pokemon are allowed?
Here is a complete list of the fully evolved Pokemon who learn either Explosion or Selfdestruct:

Azelf
Bronzong
Camerupt
Claydol
Cloyster
Corsola
Drifblim
Electrode
Exeggutor
Forretress
Gengar
Glalie
Golem
Heatran
Lickilicky
Lunatone
Magcargo
Magneton
Magnezone
Metagross
Mew
Mewtwo
Muk
Probopass
Qwilfish
Regice
Regirock
Registeel
Shiftry
Skuntank
Smeargle
Snorlax
Solrock
Steelix
Sudowoodo
Swalot
Torkoal
Wailord
Weezing

Where to play
There is currently no ladder for Terrorist Cup, but there is a sizable community of players on the CAP server. We also do not have enough data to compute usage stats for tiering purposes, so for the time being we are using standard Smogon tiers. Most Terrorist Cup players play OU TC, so be sure to let them know ahead of time if you want to play a different tier.

If you enjoy Terrorist Cup, feel free to join the Social Group!

Discuss away!

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been playing this a lot lately, and my favorite set is

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 Attack (no need for any other ev's)
-Selfdestruct
-
-
-

The only Ghost is Gengar, and no one switches Gengar on Snorlax, so you guarantee a kill with this set!

I have found this tier very fun to play. it definitely spam laddering OU when I have nothing else to do. I'm glad we got past the first edition rule of "Pokemon must have Explosion and only Explosion" since the Gastly line was really OP in that meta. I guess those three probably have been voted Uber if we had our own tiering process instead of just following Smogon's tiers.

with Pursuit support from something like a Skuntank, CB Earthquake really wrecks a lot of the common Explosion users since they're mostly Ground/Steel/Rock Pokemon. Gengar is pretty easy to draw out obviously since it likes getting free switches early game, and most teams don't try to run Haunter/Gastly because their Explosions are too weak (well not that Gengar's is that strong). perhaps we will see an increase in Bronzong/Claydol/Weezing usage in the coming days.

hey CB Heatran isn't that bad.

I haven't tried a team based off just Scarf Explosion because non-boosted booms don't do too much to all the bulky resists... has anyone had success with that?

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing this a lot lately, and my favorite set is

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 Attack (no need for any other ev's)
-Selfdestruct
-
-
-

The only Ghost Is Gengar, and no one switches Gengar on Snorlax, so you guarantee a kill with this set!
Haven't played it, but Drifblim is allowed.

this seems like the bomb.

im going to venture to guess that regirock is probably severely underrated, since it sets up stealth rocks, walls explosion, paralyzes, hits pretty hard with stab stone edge, and then finally explodes when needed. i guess no sand hurts but should be interesting to test out.

I can imagine Gengar would centralize this tier, and possibly Drifblim. Would anyone be up for running a TC tournament? That way maybe we could gauge better what is popular and what works.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this seems like the bomb.

im going to venture to guess that regirock is probably severely underrated, since it sets up stealth rocks, walls explosion, paralyzes, hits pretty hard with stab stone edge, and then finally explodes when needed. i guess no sand hurts but should be interesting to test out.
Yeah, I really think this is going to go with a bang. Gengar and Drifblim are going to be so common in this, and Regirock/Steel for walling explosion.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
yeah, this looks like a really fun thing to do, IMO LO Azelf will become quite a commonly used Pokemon in this tier, it outspeeds Gengar (and Drifblim) and can KO gengar with Psychic and do 97.5% - 114.7% to 0HP/0Sp.def neutral nature Drifblim with Thunderbolt, and I would also love someone to do a tournament of this, or I'll do one, along as I get someone to help me out with the running of it-

So, if you would like to do a joint Terrorist Cup tournament along with me, send me a PM, and we can work on it, as long as it is approved of course, and as long as no-one already has the idea for doing one :)

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
This seems like a very interesting tier with some good mind games going on, what seems to be some of the popular strategies for Terrorist Cup?

Well, if you play the tier you will notice that no one uses it.
Except in UU, I gave it a shot and it was pretty strong. To be honest I believe Ghosts could be a candidate for banning from any tiers we play in TC, but this is a fledgling (if expanding) metagame, and I would like to see it play out a bit more before we make any rash moves such as 'ban Ghosts'. Ghosts can be worked around and I feel that the fact that we revolve around Gengar adds to the excitement. It's like playing a very warped version of chess, and Gengar is the queen. Not that Pokémon and especially not TC is like chess, but the queen comparison stands.

I have found this tier very fun to play. it definitely spam laddering OU when I have nothing else to do. I'm glad we got past the first edition rule of "Pokemon must have Explosion and only Explosion" since the Gastly line was really OP in that meta. I guess those three probably have been voted Uber if we had our own tiering process instead of just following Smogon's tiers.

with Pursuit support from something like a Skuntank, CB Earthquake really wrecks a lot of the common Explosion users since they're mostly Ground/Steel/Rock Pokemon. Gengar is pretty easy to draw out obviously since it likes getting free switches early game, and most teams don't try to run Haunter/Gastly because their Explosions are too weak (well not that Gengar's is that strong). perhaps we will see an increase in Bronzong/Claydol/Weezing usage in the coming days.

hey CB Heatran isn't that bad.

I haven't tried a team based off just Scarf Explosion because non-boosted booms don't do too much to all the bulky resists... has anyone had success with that?
Not me personally, but I do have some team ideas based on fast Explosion. I think there needs to be a slight variety because of Gengar.

I was a bit skeptical at first but whistle and atticus pushed me to try it. After playing a few games against them, turns out this metagame is so much fun! The pace is very quick and every turn makes a huge difference in the game.

Also, i predict protect to gain usage pretty quickly. Protect often blocks obvious attempts at exploding and also extremely useful for scouting as well.

For those too quick to spam Explosion/Self Destruct due to lack of Ghost in the tier, remember that Protect (or a faster Substitute) will foil your plan every time.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
we haven't decided on any tiers yet but for now it's just going to be standard OU (mewtwo and mew are banned), if we feel the need to try out mewtwo/mew we may test them at a future time but for now we're just going to let the metagame develop

How's this for theorymon:

Azelf @ LO
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
~Imprison
~Explosion
~Protect
~Zen Headbutt

Basically, Imprison against slower Pokes/CB'd to block both Explosion and Protect. Zen Headbutt on the switch, then Imprison/Explode from there.

I thought Shiftry might be good because of Leaf Storm or Energy Ball to hit Ground and Rock types, but only 9 out of over 30 are hit super effectively by Grass. Wailord, haha

Oh and you forgot Smeargle.

How's this for theorymon:

Azelf @ LO
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
~Imprison
~Explosion
~Protect
~Zen Headbutt

Basically, Imprison against slower Pokes/CB'd to block both Explosion and Protect. Zen Headbutt on the switch, then Imprison/Explode from there.
Focus Sash would work so much better if you're using it to trap Pokémon instead of go all out offensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)