That One NU Team

Introduction: I'm posting this team for two reasons. One because its probably one of the best teams I've made for BW NU (It peaked top ten in high 1700 points, low 1800 I didn't really check), and second cause it needs to be reworked now that Gothibroken is banned, and I need help doing that. I think the original broken trap+sweep premise of the team is pretty impossible to do now, but still

This team came to be because Swellow is the best attacker in NU (Not even kidding), and has a few specific checks it has trouble with, but actually slaughters everything else. I've actually yet to make a decent NU team without it. Gothitelle and Skuntank eliminate everything that gives Swellow trouble. Zangoose adds to the pressure by stressing out Swellow checks, while being able to clean up if Swellow dies to poison before it can sweep completely. Golem and Exeggutor form a back bone to deal with common scarfers such as Rotom-S and Sawk, as well as reliable Stealth Rocks and strong hits. I'm not going to bother with team building because every Pokemon has a fairly straightforward role on the team.

At A Glance

In Depth

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

The star of the show. Even though its first in team preview I usually end up leading with Golem instead, forcing Probopasses or similar to switch out turn one. Swellow, is a lot like Dexoys-A, in my opinion. it does have its fair amount of checks in the tier, such as Probopass, Misdreavus, Golem, etc, but it slices through the rest of the metagame with profound ease. Its presence puts a huge amount of pressure on opponents teams, meaning they have to keep their Probopass, Midreavus, or Golem or whatever around, or Swellow will sweep you. Scarfers/Priority aren't really an answer to Swellow really, since Swellow still gets to one for one you until you run out of Pokemon to sac to Swellow's Facade, or get into Quick Attack range. Common scarfers are also relatively weak and easily switched into by Skuntank, Exegutor, or Golem. Cinccinno is the only exception. I also run four priority attacks to deal with them.

I use U-turn to lure and trap checks with Gothitelle or Skuntank, or just rack up damage early game. Stealth Rocks does put a damper on my playstyle but Swellow can pull of nearly the same late game sweep off at 50% that it can at 100%. Brave Bird sucks, it hits three pokemon (Haunter, Tangela, and Amoonguss, all which can get trapped and removed) Being able to ensure poison with protect (and scout Scarfers), and beat out weakened Scafers, priority users, and (also fuck Sucker Punch) is much more important.

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Golem is still the most reliable Stealth Rock Setter thanks to Sturdy. It poses a serious offensive threat as well with its huge base attack and excellent STABs. It even functions as a revenge killer. Sturdy allows it to soft check threats such as Sawk, Ludicolo, Sawsbuck and other frail Pokemon that want just KO Golem early, or it ensures SR gets up. (often I'll opt to kill off rain dance Ludicolo and Sawk instead of putting up rocks, because they are pretty annoying threats). Yeah Golems just a solid, reliable Pokemon.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Night Slash

Zangoose is in part a Swellow #2 It functions far better against slower defensive teams. Swellow does well against those teams, but its main advantage over Zangoose (speed) isn't really as important as Zangoose's better power and coverage. Zangoose benefited even more from Gothitelle's support since the list of Zangoose's checks is even smaller than Swellow's and he can just cleave through stuff like Golurk and Probopass that Swellow has trouble with. However, he's really just not fast enough for some offensive teams, and has horrible trouble getting through Haunter.

Zangoose was chose over Cincinno, because, even though Cincinno has U-turn, which would have helped immensely, Zangoose's pwer helps much more against slower bulkier teams that Cinccino would have struggled against. Zangoose is also easier to just unleash on a team and have Swellow pick up the peices.

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Because fuck Haunter. ScarfSkuntank checkmates all variants of Haunter (Sub Disable can be problematic, but it still works out well). Haunter is otherwise a major, major threat to this team, but Skuntank deals with it with ease. I just switch in and spam Pursuit, and Haunter dies if it stays in or not. Scarf might seem like a mediocre item for Skuntank since it already has Sucker Punch to remedy its poor speed, but Scarf allows me to skate around dangerous Substitute mind games, in exchange for minimal power. It also deals with pesky Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Drifblim, and Leafeon, eliminating them with ease. Skuntank is also just fast with a Choice Scarf, and ends up being my go-to revenge killer early on in the game. It does lose pretty hard to most general walls that Zangoose and Swellow loose to, since a neutral Crunch is not very strong, but that just gives me more opportunities to trap with Gothitelle.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Grass Knot

Gothitelle is broken. I'm so glad it's gone. It traps and eliminates (more or less): Amoongus, Golurk, Garrdevoir, Alomomola, Armaldos, Miltank, Emboar, Exeggutor, Garbodor, Probopass, Regirock, Weezing, Bastiodon, Gurdurr, Torkoal, Tangela, Camrupt, Torterra, Wartortle, Misdreavus, Golem and Carracosta. Every single one is a fucker, and that is just about the entire list of Pokemon that could deal with Swellow. The moves hit specific Pokemon, and allow Gothitelle to take out the Pokemon she needs to, when she needs to. She's also surprisingly bulky, and just hits hard. There really isn't much to say. I'm not exactly sure how I could rebuild this without her.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Exegutor is last on the roster, forming a little bit of defensive backbone with Golem, sponging Fighting, Water and Grass attacks aimed at it, really specifically Scarf Sawk. Synthesis keeps Exeggutor health while it's being defensive, Why the two STABS allow Exegutor to hit hard consistently or just nuke something. Sleep Power is also really hand for just eliminating a key threat. Thanks to sleep mechanics, and the offensive pressure of my team, a sleeping Pokemon probably wont wake up any time soon. Exegutor acts as a glue pokemon, if there was any, working as a fallback defensive Pokemon, or a p ivot, in tandem with Golem, but is still able to hit very hard.

Conclusion:
Swellow is really really good, and really underrated right now. It puts obscene amounts of pressure on the opponent because of the fact that opponents will usually have only one Pokemon that can take more than one hit, and then maybe one other that can revenge it. These configurations are easy to take advantage of as well.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team Leman! I'm at work right now, so I can't give you a great rate, but I do see a way that you can somewhat make up for Gothitelle's loss.

I'd recommend Magnet Pull Air Balloon Probopass over Golem for starters. It gives you a great Steel trapper, as well as a slow Volt Switch to help activate Swellow and Zangoose's abilities. You lose Golem's priority, but that's where my next recommendation comes into play. Replace the now-banned Gothitelle with Special Samurott with Aqua Jet. It is a decent lure with Aqua Jet, and its amazing coverage helps you with everything on your list of what Gothitelle helped you deal with (albeit without trapping them). Of course, Aqua Jet is weak, but you already have 3 other priority users so you don't really need to worry quite as much.

I'd also like to recommend Brave Bird over Protect on Swellow. You don't have the luxury of Gothitelle removing Normal resists anymore, so you need Brave Bird's power to at least deal with Amoonguss and Tangela more reliably. Plus you don't need Protect anymore with a slow Volt Switch.

Changes:

Probopass>Golem
Samurott>Gothitelle
Swellow: Brave Bird>Protect

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon/Power Gem
- Earth Power

Samurott @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass
- Aqua Jet

I definitely rate this team a GOOD, though without Goth it can't be as great as it could have been. Good luck with the aftermath of Gothitelle's ban and I hope I helped preserve this team! :pimp:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Skuntank doesn't really need Choice Scarf since it already beats Haunter and the other Pokemon you listed without it. Leftovers is the preferred item since it helps Skuntank a lot when it switches into a resisted attack and keeps it in the match longer. You should also move 20 EVs from Speed into HP to outpace Jolly Samurott and Timid Ludicolo. Max Speed Skuntank doesn't achieve anything except tie with other max Speed Skuntanks while the extra bulk could be useful in a tight situation.

Some of you EV spreads are a bit wonky; Exeggutor needs 84 Speed EVs in order to outrun Weezing and Alomomola while Golem needs 44 Speed EVs to outrun Regirock. These spreads are crucial since Exeggutor and Golem tend to get matched up with those Pokemon a lot, at least from my personal experience. Golem should also be running Rock Blast since it's extremely useful for dealing with Lead Ninjask and other Substitute users.

I also agree with WhiteDMist's suggestions, especially the Samurott one since it fills in Gothitelle's shoes nicely and provides better defensive synergy for your team.

Summary of changes:

Choice Scarf —> Leftovers on Skuntank
20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe on Skuntank
84 Speed EVs on Exeggutor
44 Speed EVs on Golem
Stone Edge —> Rock Blast on Golem

Skuntank @ Leftovers
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast

Actually, Black Sludge is better for Skuntank. Trick users are less of a bitch that way.

Also, Taunt > Crunch. Taunt is really good on Skuntank because it can force a switch, and it checks Sub/Disable Haunter. It can use a Taunt + Pursuit combo to be really threatening.

Oh, and the most reliable SR setter is actually Golurk. It also doubles as a spinblocker, so it's even better. Plus, Iron Fist + Shadow Punch painful and does great damage even to things that a neutral to it.

tl;dr

Black Sludge > Scarf
Taunt > Crunch
Golurk > Golem

Golurk @ Earth Plate
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

I'm copying FLCL's formatting because I'm an uncreative fgt

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gengan: There is no perfect Stealth Rock setter, and each one has their own pros and cons. Black Sludge and Leftovers are up to preferences, since Trick users can also Trick the Black Sludge onto Leman's team afterwards. Both situations are still prtetty rare, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, I have to say that FLCL's ideas are rather good for your team overall (though I agree with Taunt over Crunch too). If you really want to keep Golem, then you really should go with Rock Blast (despite the lack of reliability, the utility is amazing after all).

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey there Leman,

really neat team, although gothitelle being absent from the tier now really puts a damper on it. i agree with many of the changes suggested before me, particularly those of changing skuntank to leftovers and replacing crunch with taunt. scarf skuntank actually loses to subdisable haunter if it comes in on the sub (since haunter can just disable your pursuit and you can't do anything about it), and you should understand the complications of a choiced sucker punch. also 100% agreeing with the changes that FLCL outlined (44 spe and rock blast on golem and 84 spe on exeggutor). there are a few mons that can fill gothitelle's role of tearing apart walls for zangoose + swellow, although none can obviously switch in and trap them. the previously mentioned special samurott is easily one of the best options, but you can also use anything from cm gardevoir to sub + 3 attacks eelektross. there are a lot of potential wallbreakers to use in that slot, and you should pick the one that fits your preferred playstyle the most.

and now for my only real suggestion that isn't a rehashing of what everyone else has said. :P since you're using a bulkier, slower set with exeggutor, i think it might be useful to use an offensive lumrest set. this also allows eggy to freely take stuff like alomomola toxics or spores from amoonguss without having to worry about long-term effects. basically, it functions exactly the same as your current setup but heals more in one turn than synthesis would and also allows you to take status moves that you otherwise would have to avoid switching directly into.

leftovers and taunt > choice scarf and crunch on skuntank, respectively

all of the aforementioned ev changes to golem, exeggutor, and skuntank

special samurott or calm mind gardevoir or sub + 3 attacks eelektross or similar wallbreakers > gothitelle

samurott @ life orb | torrent
timid nature (+spe, -atk) | 4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe
hydro pump / ice beam / hidden power [grass] / aqua jet or megahorn (for ludicolo)

gardevoir @ leftovers | trace
timid nature (+spe, -atk) | 4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe
psychic / calm mind / substitute or focus blast / signal beam or shadow ball

eelektross @ leftovers | levitate
modest nature (+spa, -atk) | 128 hp / 252 spa / 128 spe
substitute / thunderbolt / flamethrower / giga drain​

offensive lumrest exeggutor over your current set

exeggutor @ lum berry | harvest
modest nature (+spa, -atk) | 172 hp / 252 spa / 84 spe​

anyway, cool team that abused goth while it was here. hopefully i helped a bit and you'll be able to adjust your team to the post-goth meta :o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)