The Art of Justoon Smitts

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
600px-424Ambipom.png

sketch1576702459216.png

sketch1576717947960.png

I'm getting started on drawing all the new Sword / Shield Pokemon. I'll be drawing them in the style of my analysis art. Here are Grookey, Thwackey, and Rillaboom.

In terms of design, these Pokemon are almost great. I like Grookey a lot. It has a lot of personality in its design. I don't like Thwackey. I really hate its color scheme and it would be cuter if it had a semblance of a neck. Rillaboom is pretty neat. I somehow knew that it would have a musician theme and it wraps it up nicely. The only thing I would maybe change is make its forearms more muscular so it looks more like a gorilla.

Rillaboom will be a lot better when Grassy Surge gets released. The obvious comparison to make is Tapu Bulu, but Rillaboom has access to U-turn and Knock Off, two moves that Bulu could have used. The rest of its movepool is kind of shallowvand its Speed is lacking, making it Corviknight food.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

sketch1576765751821.png

sketch1576767089317.png

sketch1577484686870.png

Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace.

This is probably my favorite starter line. I love the soccer player angle, they're all cute, and they are the most consistently appealing across all the stages. Even the primarily white color scheme really stands out against other Fire-type starters. The only thing about Cinderace that I would change is make the legs more rabbit-like instead of more anthropomorphic. It would match the hand choice better.

Cinderace is easily the best of the starters thanks to its niche of clearing hazards with the new move Court Change while also being immune to them with the new Heavy-Duty Boots item. It also has an amazing speed tier, access to U-turn, and a high Attack that allows it to pivot and punch holes in teams. It lacks a defensive presence, so it can't really find many opportunities to switch into battle.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

sketch1577733794744.png
sketch1577808388565.png
sketch1577820693301.png

Sobble, Drizzile, and Inteleon.

I almost went with this line in my playthrough of Shield. Sobble speaks to the anxiety that I have and I love it so much. I'm not really digging Drizzile, though. I don't like the green mittens at all and it has this attitude like " Guh, mom! I just need to focus on my art!". Inteleon is kind of a neat idea. It;s baed on a flying dragon (which is a real lizard) and a secret agent. It's interesting to see this huge personality shift throughout this line and I think these designs pull off this idea pretty well.

Inteleon has a niche in UU as a fast, powerful wallbreaker with high Special Attack and Speed stats. It also has U-turn to escape bad matchups. However, it has no defensive presence at all and its movepool is rather lacking. It also lacks a useful ability since Sniper isn't released at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)