The Battle Pike
The Battle Pike, as it is in-game, is the ultimate blend of luck and skill. It presents the
player with a gauntlet of risk evaluation challenges, forcing the player to balance the need
to pass to the next room with the need to preserve Pokemon for the Pike Queen, Lucy.
- Challenging the Battle Pike costs 12 JC.
- The challenger's Pokemon must be stage 3 or higher.
- The Battle Pike does not count towards the challenger's limit of three simultaneous matches.
A challenger selects three Pokémon to brave the Battle Pike. The Pike itself consists of six (6) rooms, headed off with a final arena in which the player battles Pike Queen Lucy. In each of these rooms, each of the player's three Pokemon are assigned a door, and the player then considers their contents. Each hint has two publicly-known results: one boon, and one ill. The boon could be a hold item or healing; the ill could be a battle or status ailment. There are many more possibilities, of course.
It is then the player's job to consider the risk of each door, and select one. The player then meets whatever ill awaits beyond with the Pokemon whom that door was assigned to. Upon completion of the room, the player receives the boon and advances to the next room and set of doors. Statuses suffered in battles and from door effects will persist from battle to battle, meaning the player must carefully consider how much harm they can suffer before facing Lucy in the final room.
Post 1: Procedure and Rules
Rulings / Hotfixes
Approved RefereesPost 2: Boons / Ill Tables
Gold RankPost 3: Bronze Rank Opponents
Post 4: Silver Rank Opponents
Post 5: Gold Rank Opponents
Rulings / Hotfixes
- 18-May-2020: The player only retains items earned from door prizes between battles; item-affecting moves and abilities don't change the player's inventory outside of the battle they occur in.
Pokemon: 1v1 DQ: 48 HRs Switch: KO Abilities: 1 Items: ALL (should you acquire any) Medicines: Not Permitted Recovers: 2 Chills: 5 Substitutions: 3 Arena: Pike Hallway. [INDENT]Camouflage: Poison-Type[/INDENT] [INDENT]Nature Power: Poison Fang[/INDENT] [INDENT]Secret Power: 30% Bad Poison[/INDENT] Post Order: The Player gives orders second on the first round.
Pokemon: 3v3 DQ: 72 HRs Switch: OK Abilities: 1 Items: ALL (should you acquire any) Medicines: Not Permitted Recovers: 2 Chills: 5 Substitutions: 3 Arena: Pike Hallway. [INDENT]Camouflage: Poison-Type[/INDENT] [INDENT]Nature Power: Poison Fang[/INDENT] [INDENT]Secret Power: 30% Bad Poison[/INDENT] Post Order: Lucy sends out first and orders second on the first round.
- Players indicate a Pike Rank they intend to challenge out of the Ranks available to them. Players may challenge Silver Rank and Gold Rank only if they have defeated Lucy in a previous rank.
- Players post three Pokemon they intend to challenge the Battle Pike with. For each Pokemon, one of their Abilities is chosen by the player for use during their challenge.
- Players are given a backpack of their choosing at the start of their challenge, containing consumables for use between rooms. This backpack is returned to the Battle Pike at the end of the player's challenge.
- A referee takes players' challenges from the queue in this thread. Players challenging Bronze Rank for the first time are prioritized, then first-time Silver Rank challenges, then first-time Gold Rank challenges, then all repeat challenges in chronological order.
- The referee offers the player three doors selected randomly from the list appropriate to their rank. The doors are each associated with one of the challenger's Pokemon.
- The same door can be rolled more than once in the same challenge, or even more than once in the same selection.
- Doors are generated even for fainted Pokemon, in case the player elects to use an item to revive them.
- The player gets an opportunity to use any medical or enhancing items they've accrued (including berries, if applicable), then announces which of their Pokemon is going to enter their associated door. This results in a battle or other hazard as specified for the door.
- When using berries or medicines that grant a temporary effect, such as X Attack or Custap Berry, the effect is applied the next time the Pokemon is sent into battle.
- For berries with multiple uses, using that berry as a medicine consumes all of their uses at once. For berries with activation requirements such as HP thresholds, those conditions are ignored. (For example, using an Enigma Berry as a medical item will restore 10 HP twice to the specified Pokemon, for a total of 20.)
- Medicines and berries can only be used in this way between rooms, not during battles.
- The referee processes the player's chosen door, conducting the battle as normal or applying the specified effect. If the player wins, they receive the door's specified reward for use in the remainder of their Battle Pike Challenge.
- Effects from medicines, such as status effects from X Items or Dire Hit, do not persist between rooms.
- All other status changes, including volatile statuses such as Taunt and Cooldown as well as status parameters such as Toxic damage-per-action, persist between doors if they have remaining actions or rounds of duration. (The player must remove these effects with a move or item, or by allowing their duration to elapse naturally.)
- Items are returned to their owners after a battle.
- Steps 3 and 4 repeat for a number of doors dependent on the Rank being challenged. There are 3 doors before Lucy in Bronze Rank, 4 in Silver Rank, and 5 in Gold Rank. After finishing the specified number of doors, the player gets one last chance to arrange their items and use medicines before confronting Pike Queen Lucy.
A player's Battle Pike Challenge ends under the following conditions:
- If all three of the player's or Lucy's Pokemon are fainted at any given point, the player's Pike challenge ends immediately. The referee posts prizes for the player and for themselves. They earn currency for each battle fought, including the door that defeated them if applicable. (Fighting Lucy to a draw counts as a loss for the player.)
- If the player defeats the Pike Queen, they receive additional rewards specified below. If they defeated the Pike Queen on the current rank for the first time, the rank of their challenge thread increases accordingly. (If the referee that originally posted your Battle Pike challenge thread is unavailable, message a forum moderator to have your thread's title updated.)
- It is permissible for a player to forfeit a challenge between doors if they determine that their chances of defeating Lucy are too low. Most commonly, if one of their Pokemon is fainted in battle in a normal door. In this case, the player and ref are rewarded up to the door prior to the forfeit.
- Use moves such as Refresh, Rest, and Psycho Shift to remove permanent harmful status effects such as Toxic.
- Use moves such as U-turn and Magic Coat to fight against disruptive temporary status such as Taunt.
- Use moves such as Roar and Haze to beat opponents whose trainers use stat-boosting items.
- Bring a mix of physical and special attackers to take advantage of any item you may find.
- Bringing Pokemon with x4 weaknesses is easier, because you can see your opponents before battling them.
- You can move items around between each door. Counter each opponent with an appropriate item.
- When using the Aggressive backpack, use moves like Explosion in combination with your Max Revives to clear battles quickly.
- When using the Strenuous backpack, use damaging combinations in combination with your Ethers to clear battles quickly.
- When using the Blossoming backpack, use Pokemon with Berry-renewing moves and abilities to get the most out of your items.
- In Silver Rank, many of the most powerful foes are Steel- and Dragon-types. In Gold Rank, the biggest threats often have Psychic-typing as well.
[B]Name:[/B] (name) [B]Thread:[/B] (thread) [B]Rank:[/B] (rank) [B]Backpack:[/B] (backpack) [B]Pokemon % Ability[/B] (profile) [B]Pokemon % Ability[/B] (profile) [B]Pokemon % Ability[/B] (profile)
Players start each challenge with a backpack of their choosing. Each type of backpack features additional items when challenging higher Ranks.
|Role||Contains healing and offensive items.||Foregoes healing items for power.||Prioritizes recovering health between rooms.||Plans to recover large amounts of Energy.||Prepares for battle with equip-able berries.|
|Items||2 x Super Potion|
1 x Elixir
1 x Dire Hit
|2 x Max Revive|
3 x Dire Hit
|2 x Hyper Potion|
2 x Full Heal
|2 x Max Potion|
1 x Max Ether
3 x Ether
1 x Full Heal
|5 x Enigma Berry|
1 x Lum Berry
1 x Kee Berry
1 x Maranga Berry
|Silver||+2 x Full Heal||+1 x Revive||+2 x Potion||+1 x Max Elixir||+2 x Sitrus Berry|
|Gold||+1 x Revive||+1 x Revive||+1 x Revive||+1 x Revive||+1 x Revive|
|Bronze Rank||Silver Rank||Gold Rank|
|For Players||2 RC and 2 TC per door started.|
4 RC and 4 TC if you defeat Lucy.
The Pokemon used in a winning challenge may advance to stage 4.
The first time you defeat Bronze Rank, you may keep a held item from your run.
|2 RC and 3 TC per door started.|
6 RC and 6 TC if you defeat Lucy.
The Pokemon used in a winning challenge may advance to stage 5.
The first time you defeat Silver Rank, you may keep all of the items from your run.
|3 RC and 3 TC per door started.|
10 RC and 10 TC if you defeat Lucy.
The Pokemon used in a winning challenge may advance to stage 5.
The first time you defeat Gold Rank, you may claim a copy of one of Lucy's Pokemon at stage 3.
|For Referees||3 JC and 2 RC per door processed.|
9 JC and 6 RC playing as Lucy.
|4 JC and 2 RC per door processed.|
12 JC and 6 RC for playing as Lucy.
|4 JC and 3 RC per door processed.|
12 JC and 9 RC for playing as Lucy.
- Pike Technical Machines (PTMs) can't be retained after a Pike Challenge.
- Medicines can be retained, in case they become relevant to other content later.
Referee requirements will be specified prior to the public opening of the facility. Referees will be able to take challenges of a given rank and all ranks below.
Referees can increase their standing by performing consistently well within the Pike, as well as in other content such as Gym battles.