Other The Don's ORAS OU Team Building Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Obviously, some of the niche stuff is pretty hard to believe that it's viable. I'm going to try and explain as many of them as possible:

Stealth Rock Offensive Users:
Neutral to fighting, has access to Rapid Spin and Volt Switch (compared to Ferrothorn)
Not 4x weak to Ice, his Poison-type move to hit Fairies is STAB, different coverage (compared to Landorus-I)
Unique typing, not quad weak to fighting, STAB Earthquake instead of STAB Stone Edge (compared to Tyranitar)
Same as Nidoking, but sacrifices a little power for a little more bulk
"crustle can get hazards as a lead akin to salac skarm, so thats that."
"offensive uxie gets screens n rox akin to azelf but does it more reliably, albeit more prone to taunt." Similar speed, greater bulk, still 2HKO's most Fighting-types with STAB (compared to Azelf)

Stealth Rock Defensive Users:
High bulk, unique typing, still hits decently hard because of good coverage (compared to Landorus-I)
Has access to Rapid Spin, has Sturdy... I think that's it. Should probably be used exclusively on a team with wishpass. (compared to Hippowdon)
different typing, earthquake hits harder (compared to M-Aggron)
The bulk is real, rare pure-Steel typing. Should probably be used alongside a wishpasser, or run Rest.
Unique typing, less ghosts to spinblock it, is immune to Ground, can go mixed
Has access to Stealth Rock, U-Turn, Yawn, Imprison, and more (compared to Cresselia)
"ferroseed if u wanna use a dual ferro team which iv contemplated using. pretty cash to have one of the best walls in ou x2 eh."

Spikes/TSpikes Users:
high defense despite bad typing, can sweep with Shell Smash if opponent's team is weakened, or Explode for momentum and extra damage
Has access to TSpikes, and is still a good special wall (compared to M-Venu)
Spreads para, hits like a truck, removes 1 non-ghost 'mon from the game completely
"cacturn can be used on sucker punch spam, thats about its only niche and dont knock it cuz it's almost as strong as sharp anyways." Unique typing, possible recovery in Water Absorb, access to Spikes (compared to Bisharp)
"accelgor has a fast gambit + spikes."
Unique typing, access to both Spikes/TSpikes, access to Explosion
"garbodor is sick as it gets tons of residual damage, while getting tspikes and checking faries." Also absorbs Knock Off.

Stallbreakers:
Taunt, Cursed Body, Will-o-Wisp, ability to completely recover any residual damage, can absorb Scalds
"...in fact, my scrafty stallbreak team is lossless so far vs friends in test games at a whopping 8 or so wins. Spdef bulk up scraft gets buckets." Access to Dragon Dance... I actually don't really know.

voltturn:
Little known fact apparently, she gets access to Baton Pass.

Heavy hitters (Choice/LO):
Access to Sucker Punch, has Moxie, has a unique typing, strong offensive typing, only 2x weak to rocks (compared to Talonflame)

Speed Boosting:
Specs hits pretty hard, can clean up weakened teams

Setup Priority:
Can go mixed, has access to Sucker Punch, decent Speed tier, "Surprise Mothafucka" ability Illusion.

Fast(110+)/Weather:
Sacrifices some power for a high Speed tier (compared to Raikou), not a mega (compared to M-Manectric)
This thing has an offensive set, too!
A physically biased Mixed Relic set can easily outspeed the entire unboosted, non-mega Metagame in Pirouette form, and still hit hard.
Has less weaknesses... I don't really, know, I didn't play BW enough to know why it was A- rank there.
Sand Veil shenanigans... uh, I don't actually know.
Hits like a truck, almost acts as a second Talonflame... I think...

Scarfers:
Scarftini without the electric coverage or Psychic-type, and with possible EdgeQuake
Is immune to Ground, doesn't lose that much in terms of stats, can be used alongside Garchomp (compared to Garchomp)
Unique, strong offensive typing + Moxie (compared to Tyranitar)
hits harder off the special side (compared to Kyurem-Black)

Hazard Removal/Prevention:
Screens can't be defogged away while setting them up
Oh yeah, this thing has access to Rapid Spin, too.
Unique typing, Fairy check
This is still a thing... an Espeon with a Flying-type.
these work like they do in RU, they're just slightly outclassed.
This wouldn't be made by CTC if this wasn't here. A Gyarados with higher Special Defense.

Resists/Walls:
Access to Competitive, to hit hard(er) and punish Defog, or Marvel Scale (compared to Alomomola)
Access to Heal Bell, has actual offenses (can 2HKO defensive landog with unboosted Scald iirc) (compared to Alomomola)
Access to Scald, Volt Absorb, and Heal Bell (compared to Rotom-Wash)
decent Speed, resists EdgeQuake, hits hard, high Special Defense
can phaze through Taunt, can burn with Scald, is really annoying to kill through RestTalk
It can only be killed by Pokemon with a move of one of five types. Cockblocks any who don't. Example: M-Lopunny, M-Metagross, and non-HP flying Keldeo are all 100% beat. Can take a hit with focus Sash, has access to Sucker Punch, Will-o-Wisp, and Baton Pass, for extremely safe forced switches. (if only it learned Endeavor...)
Uh... I have no idea.
Celebi without the Psychic-typing. Seed flare also still hurts.
Spins, has high defense. Unfortunate typing, though still fits on some teams where typing doesn't matter
Unique typing...? I don't know.
like Registeel, except deals with birdspam in exchange for no special defense
TANK WEEZING... MY SPECIALTY I don't know.
Trick Room monster, it's speed is the only thing from being OU.
Hits hard, decent bulk with Intimidate
a Chansey with less bulk, but isn't beaten by Taunt stallbreakers

bulky Setup:
I'm assuming that it's supposed to be like GSC, just that it's not as good in this meta...

Trick Room:
I think this has a Blissey:Chansey relationship with Dusclops.. .I think.

Okay. Obviously, some of the niche stuff is pretty hard to believe that it's viable. I'm going to try and explain as many of them as possible:

Neutral to fighting, has access to Rapid Spin and Volt Switch (compared to Ferrothorn)
Not 4x weak to Ice, his Poison-type move to hit Fairies is STAB, different coverage (compared to Landorus-I)
Unique typing, not quad weak to fighting, STAB Earthquake instead of STAB Stone Edge (compared to Tyranitar)
"offensive uxie gets screens n rox akin to azelf but does it more reliably, albeit more prone to taunt." Similar speed, greater bulk, still 2HKO's most Fighting-types with STAB (compared to Azelf)

High bulk, unique typing, still hits decently hard because of good coverage (compared to Landorus-I)
Has access to Rapid Spin, has Sturdy... I think that's it. Should probably be used exclusively on a team with wishpass. (compared to Hippowdon)
The bulk is real, rare pure-Steel typing. Should probably be used alongside a wishpasser, or run Rest.
Has access to Stealth Rock, U-Turn, Yawn, Imprison, and more (compared to Cresselia)
"ferroseed if u wanna use a dual ferro team which iv contemplated using. pretty cash to have one of the best walls in ou x2 eh."

Spikes/TSpikes Users:
high defense despite bad typing, can sweep with Shell Smash if opponent's team is weakened, or Explode for momentum and extra damage
Spreads para, hits like a truck, removes 1 non-ghost 'mon from the game completely
"cacturn can be used on sucker punch spam, thats about its only niche and dont knock it cuz it's almost as strong as sharp anyways." Unique typing, possible recovery in Water Absorb, access to Spikes (compared to Bisharp)
"garbodor is sick as it gets tons of residual damage, while getting tspikes and checking faries." Also absorbs Knock Off.

Stallbreakers:
Taunt, Cursed Body, Will-o-Wisp, ability to completely recover any residual damage, can absorb Scalds
"...in fact, my scrafty stallbreak team is lossless so far vs friends in test games at a whopping 8 or so wins. Spdef bulk up scraft gets buckets." Access to Dragon Dance... I actually don't really know.

voltturn:

Access to Sucker Punch, has Moxie, has a unique typing, strong offensive typing, only 2x weak to rocks (compared to Talonflame)

Speed Boosting:

Setup Priority:
Can go mixed, has access to Sucker Punch, decent Speed tier, "Surprise Mothafucka" ability Illusion.

Fast(110+)/Weather:
Sacrifices some power for a high Speed tier (compared to Raikou), not a mega (compared to M-Manectric)
A physically biased Mixed Relic set can easily outspeed the entire unboosted, non-mega Metagame in Pirouette form, and still hit hard.
Has less weaknesses... I don't really, know, I didn't play BW enough to know why it was A- rank there.

Scarfers:
Scarftini without the electric coverage or Psychic-type, and with possible EdgeQuake
Is immune to Ground, doesn't lose that much in terms of stats, can be used alongside Garchomp (compared to Garchomp)

This wouldn't be made by CTC if this wasn't here. A Gyarados with higher Special Defense.

Resists/Walls:
Access to Competitive, to hit hard(er) and punish Defog, or Marvel Scale (compared to Alomomola)
Access to Heal Bell, has actual offenses (can 2HKO defensive landog with unboosted Scald iirc) (compared to Alomomola)
can phaze through Taunt, can burn with Scald, is really annoying to kill through RestTalk
It can only be killed by Pokemon with a move of one of five types. Cockblocks any who don't. Example: M-Lopunny, M-Metagross, and non-HP flying Keldeo are all 100% beat. Can take a hit with focus Sash, has access to Sucker Punch, Will-o-Wisp, and Baton Pass, for extremely safe forced switches. (if only it learned Endeavor...)
Uh... I have no idea.
Spins, has high defense. Unfortunate typing, though still fits on some teams where typing doesn't matter

bulky Setup:
I'm assuming that it's supposed to be like GSC, just that it's not as good in this meta...

Trick Room:
For Stoutland and Sandslash, they both get the coveted ability Sand Rush, which can make them (kinda) threats to HO under sand.
I assume if you'd want to play them, you'd pair it with exca + sand to wear down any check and counters.
Stunfisk is pretty sexy and has an interesting typing, and I guess some usable bulk.
Will expand on Stunfisk later, on muh phone

This list, how am I supposed to take it seriously when stuff like Dusclops / Scrafty / Claydol / Trevenant is mentioned on this list?

Add Tyrantrum into heavy hitters, it works well in this metagame, at least much more consistent than some of the stuff on this list.

This list, how am I supposed to take it seriously when stuff like Dusclops / Scrafty / Claydol / Trevenant is mentioned on this list?

Add Tyrantrum into heavy hitters, it works well in this metagame, at least much more consistent than some of the stuff on this list.
Cause your not CTC. He's known for making ridiculous things work. Like swellow. That's how you can take it seriously.

And just because it includes pokemon that are outclassed, doesn't mean they are unviable. They won't work on all teams, but select teams can utilize any of those.

Spikes/TSpikes Users:

Stallbreakers:

voltturn:

Speed Boosting:

Setup Priority:

Fast(110+)/Weather:

Scarfers:

Resists/Walls:
Uh... I have no idea.

bulky Setup:

Trick Room:
I can explain some of the super niche things you don't get.

Custap lead like Skarm which can beat Starmie

Stallbreakers:
Shed Skin. Pretty much the only reason why this thing is even worth mentioning.

Fast(110+)/Weather:
Has less weaknesses ... I don't really, know, I didn't play BW enough to know why it was A- rank there It was the best Sand Sweeper because Excadrill was banned.
No Fire and Fighting weakness, Stone Edge (Compared to Excadrill)
Facade + Guts, facade is equal to Boomburst in terms of BST, Guts acts as a free Choice Band. Should only be used when you can remove Steels and Rocks (Both pebbles and rock type mons)

Scarfers:
Should be under hazard removal

Resists/Walls:
Cosmic Power + Stored Power can be really annoying to deal with.
Static + decent bulk. I have actually used it on a random generated team and it was not that bad, it deals with electric types and flyspam while spreading paralysis with static. Lack of reliable recovery hurts, thought. Also, 2* immunity towards paralysis.

Trick Room:
I can't find a situation where running it would be beneficial, it is just blatantly outclassed by Dusclops in almost everything it tries to do towards Trick Room.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can explain a few that Talenheim couldn't/got incorrect.

Sandslash has Knock Off and Stone Edge over Excadrill, allowing it to beat spinblockers on switch-in.

Swellow is the only bird that can act as a status absorber.

Dusknoir is better than Dusclops

Stunfisk acts as a nice check to Electric-types on hyper offense while also having decent utility in Yawn etc.

Also CTC don't encourage the people to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)