The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
T
The problem was that I was using Volt Switch repeatedly, always between those two, and against all of his pokemon 100% of the time, which would be a pretty simple situation to code for when making AIs. If I had three or more pokemon that I was switching between, or if I had been choosing other moves sometimes and Volt Switch others, I could see it, but my Cobalion only used Volt Switch and only switched out to Thundurus, and it always was faster, yet Marshall usually had his pokemon use Earthquake or their Fighting STAB against Cobalion, and then Stone Edge against Thundurus.

This wasn't even intuition related. If I do something simple, like using a self-switching move and switching to the same pokemon, every time a certain pokemon on my team is up, the best AIs used in the game should recognize it after a few repeats and plan for it.
But this is why we can abuse switching in the Maison to do thing like stall out earthquake/rockslide pp with dragonite and aegislash etc... It's not the AI being dumb it's just the way it works. The AI can't 'learn'. And it if did we would all be fucked

In Maison Doubles battle, I once rain into an Eeveelution team with serious teamwork issues. I wish I had saved a replay but it went something like this:

Turn 1:
I send out Aromatisse and Mawile
AI sends out Leafeon and Glaceon
Mawile Mega Evolves
Leafeon uses Sunny Day
Glaceon uses Hail
Mawile uses Swords Dance
Aromatisse uses Trick Room
Turn 2:
Aromatisse uses Dazzling Gleam
Mawile KOs Glaceon
Leafeon uses Sunny Day again
AI sends out Jolteon
Turn 3:
Mawile KOs Leafeon
Jolteon uses Rain Dance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AI sends out Sylveon
Turn 4:
Mawile KOs Jolteon
Sylveon uses I forget, probably Moonblast on Aromatisse
Turn 5:
Mawile KOs Sylveon
End

There's also the curious case of Aurorus2, which does nothing but alternate between Hail and Sandstorm.

So... I was in a Triple Battle today in the Battle Maison, and my opponent had Scrafty(that didn't really matter), Empoleon, and Kangaskhan:

Turn 1, 2, 3, and 4:
Kangaskhan used Substitute!
Empoleon used Surf!
Kangaskhan's substitute was broken!

Turn 5:
Kangaskhan used something, I think it was Return
Empoleon used Surf!
Kangaskhan fainted!

Last edited:
Munchlax isn't the worst in-game partner by a long shot (Cheryl's Chansey anyone? Buck's Claydol and Dawn's Clefairy are not exactly helpful either). Leer spam helps you get past the Bronzors, which, depending on your team, you could be having a lot of trouble with. Besides, you can always kill it if you want a new partner.

It just needs Follow Me. As does every in-game partner really.

Munchlax isn't the worst in-game partner by a long shot (Cheryl's Chansey anyone? Buck's Claydol and Dawn's Clefairy are not exactly helpful either). Leer spam helps you get past the Bronzors, which, depending on your team, you could be having a lot of trouble with. Besides, you can always kill it if you want a new partner.

I never had any problem's with Cheryl's Chansey. Mostly cause my Pokémon would just wreck everything.

Honestly, I'd really say it is - at first glance, compared to the ones you've listed, it might not be. But it also has to be seen in context. Cheryl's Chansey and Buck's Claydol don't matter since you're literally just curbstomping everything you come across with ease; there's no major, tough battles and you don't care about the Pokémon you're partnered with because what really matters to you is the free Pokémon Center after every battle.
Tagging with Barry at Spear Pillar is a completely different situation. It's a boss battle, and admittedly a rather tough one at that. You're up against two admins with Pokémon that are either very strong or very annoying. There's no grunts or wild Pokémon to go through and there's no forced battles right after - if you're playing Platinum, which you should - so you don't really need a heal. So aside from tagging with Barry again at the Battle Zone, this is the only tag battle in the game where it actually matters what Pokémon your partner chooses. And they choose, for whatever reason, an annoying little bastard that does nothing but sit there and stockpile/swallow the entire fight, and MAAAAAAYBE it might OCCASIONALLY use Screech or Body Slam. Oh yeah, it's one attacking move is resisted by the first Pokémon sent out by the admins, great. And it doesn't even go down quickly because of it's defences and the Bronzor's dire attacks, gods. You need to specifically target it for it to go down at all until Barry finally sends out SOMETHING that can do some damage.
And hell, look at it atmosphere-wise. The world's about to collapse around you. You're up against two admins which have caused you nothing but grief the entire game and it's time to take them down as the last line of defence before facing the psychopathic Team Galactic Boss and the Legendary Pokémon he's summoning. If there was any time you needed help, it's now - and right out of nowhere, your rival and best friend shows up to help you! This is great! Let's kick some ass and save the world! ... then he sends out this little bugger that sits there the entire fight and does just about nothing to help you. Thanks, Barry. Oh, fight's over, you're going home now? Sure, that's... that's cool. Just leave us to fight the boss. Your contribution will be remembered. Couldn't have done it without you.

Something minor, but a Misdreavus used Pain Split on my Sigilyph in White, and nothing happened. Sigilyph had 118 HP on it at the time (due to prior damage).

I guess if nothing else Barry's Munchlax acts as a punching bag, so you're less likely to get hit?
I have no idea how the AI is programmed beyond "if super effective move hit this guy", but they barely ever attacked Munchlax.
ANYWAY, I'd best not go on about this too much... back on topic.
Was replaying White recently. Up against Elesa with my Simisage which I kept around because I don't know. The Zebstrika outspeeds and could easily KO said Simisage with another Flame Charge before they dug. Which is why... the Zebstrika used Quick Attack, letting my Simisage survive and win the battle for me. Thanks Elesa???????//

Killing like 10 Pokemon in my nuzlocke with pursuit IN DOUBLE BATTLES. I mean it is stupid in the sense that everything has it in bw and that the ai spams the hell out of it.

Here's a case of the AI being all A and no I in my Yellow game.

I was trying to catch Zapdos and led my Sandslash. The smart move for Zapdos would be to use a Flying attack. However, that would require the AI to actually be part I, which we already established it isn't. Zapdos used an Electric attack. On my Sandslash.

That said, Zapdos is still not in the "owned" column of my Pokedex. Why do you always have to miss, Ultra Balls?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's a case of the AI being all A and no I in my Yellow game.

I was trying to catch Zapdos and led my Sandslash. The smart move for Zapdos would be to use a Flying attack. However, that would require the AI to actually be part I, which we already established it isn't. Zapdos used an Electric attack. On my Sandslash.

That said, Zapdos is still not in the "owned" column of my Pokedex. Why do you always have to miss, Ultra Balls?
All wild pokemon from gen I-VI use moves at random. Probably because they don't have a trainer yet...

Not the dumbest, but getting there. This happened in Maison triples, Pokemon X.

I send out the patented Slacking Terror line-up, consisting of Greninja, Slacking, and Gardevoir.
Opponent sends out Mamoswine, LickyLicky, and Flygon.

Greninja uses Mat Block.
Flygon uses Earthquake.
Mamoswine uses Earthquake.
Lickylicky uses Explosion.

The entire side is KO'd without me having to lift barely a finger.

(With enemies like these, who needs friends?)

Edit: To clarify, Slacking used brick break on the Mamoswine and Gardevoir skill-swapped somewhere in there, too.

Last edited:
Here's some more all-A-no-I that happened to me today. My Delphox and Yveltal were carrying my Scraggy through Restaurant Le Wow Rotation Battles, and Delphox was in the lead. First battle, the AI rotated his Ferrothorn in to face my Delphox. You can guess who won. Fourth battle, the AI rotated his Lucario in to face my Delphox. Again, you can guess who won.

For giving me such a beneficial type matchup not once, but twice, when there were much better options (for the AI), this AI goes on the Stupid AI List.

(And these were trainers!)

So, let's try to defeat Cyrus in the Distortion World with a team that is outleveled by most wild Pokémon...

The foe's Weavile used Fake Out!
It's not very effective...
Lucario didn't flinch because of its Inner Focus!

Lucario used Aura Sphere!
It's super effective!
The foe's Weavile fainted!

Okay, this might not be as hard as I thought. Lucario's other ability (its HA was not released back then) in Gen4 is Steadfast. That boosts Speed after flinching, which would have made it much easier for me. Surprised such a stupid mistake could be made in a boss battle.

Here's some more all-A-no-I that happened to me today. My Delphox and Yveltal were carrying my Scraggy through Restaurant Le Wow Rotation Battles, and Delphox was in the lead. First battle, the AI rotated his Ferrothorn in to face my Delphox. You can guess who won. Fourth battle, the AI rotated his Lucario in to face my Delphox. Again, you can guess who won.
It could very easily have been predicting you to rotate to Scraggy or Yveltal. Those Pokémon are pretty decent choices against those two - for an AI, anyway.

So, let's try to defeat Cyrus in the Distortion World with a team that is outleveled by most wild Pokémon...

The foe's Weavile used Fake Out!
It's not very effective...
Lucario didn't flinch because of its Inner Focus!

Lucario used Aura Sphere!
It's super effective!
The foe's Weavile fainted!

Okay, this might not be as hard as I thought. Lucario's other ability (its HA was not released back then) in Gen4 is Steadfast. That boosts Speed after flinching, which would have made it much easier for me. Surprised such a stupid mistake could be made in a boss battle.
I think Fake Out trainers are programmed to use Fake Out as the first move unless it's a Ghost Type, or am I horribly wrong about this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)