The Everything NHL Thread

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Yet again another season involving a roller coaster of my emotions. I was on top of the world when the Sabres had the top spot in the league, as well as during their 10 game win streak. Lately they're meh and have fallen out of a wild card spot and seem to be falling back into old habits, so I don't know if we'll stick it out. Been a heck of a season for sure, but still have hope.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Halfway through the season now (or just about). Hows it going for you guys? Maybe your looking for that least piece to make a playoff run, or maybe your looking at draft picks already (;-;). Its pretty obvious its going well for the lightning but the real test is in april for us.
sens fan here just hoping the avs don't get hughes or kakko from us :( hopefully stone resigns and duch+zinger bring in 2 1sts and a top prospect at the deadline like they should, but i'm sure dorion will find a way to fk that up. while they finish this rebuild i'm cheering for the flames (#2 team) and lightning (stammer is my fave active player). feel like that will make for an epic final, both have crazy depth and excellent top-tier players. regardless, playoffs this year will be fun to watch for sure!

in terms of fantasy i'm in 1st by so much i kinda feel bad for my buddies, hopefully i don't choke in playoffs lol

Tampa is on pace for 130 pts after beating us (Kings) in a shootout. The record is 131 by Detroit and Blackhawks in the locked out season were on pace for 132 pts. They have a legit shot for the greatest season ever.
Also the 6 best Pres trophy winners for pts not including Chicago didn't win the cup.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
A record season is great, though playoffs is when it really matters. We cant drop 3 goals like we did last night when it comes down to that. Can't wait for april!

Hi guys, I'm not a hockey expert at all, but I hope you will let me post anyway :blobnom:
I got into hockey recently thanks to a few friends of mine and I support the Toronto Maple Leafs. I have been impressed with how well the team have performed this season and I hope they can win their first trophy in a while. I still don't understand the rules, but it's fun to watch :blobuwu:

I'm a bit annoyed at the loss last night, but I know the team will bounce back :swole:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hi guys, I'm not a hockey expert at all, but I hope you will let me post anyway :blobnom:
I got into hockey recently thanks to a few friends of mine and I support the Toronto Maple Leafs. I have been impressed with how well the team have performed this season and I hope they can win their first trophy in a while. I still don't understand the rules, but it's fun to watch :blobuwu:

I'm a bit annoyed at the loss last night, but I know the team will bounce back :swole:
Welcome to the best sport on earth (in my opinion :p)! Glad your enjoying yourself, there can be alot of rules but once you get a feel for them its not too hard to know the common ones (I don't know all of the rules, theres tons of details like equipment standards that I dont know). If you have any questions, we can answer for you, and theres always google too.

Ah, a fellow Leafs fan. Welcome to Leafs Nation, London. It's been tough being a Leafs fan for late 2000 to early 2010, but we're now great team that has the potential to win the Stanley Cup. We just gotta have faith that they will!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I love when new fans get excited for hockey! Learn what offsides and icing are and some of the more common penalties and you shouldn't have trouble following any given game. More "obscure" stuff will come to you as you watch more and more games. Enjoy, and welcome to the manliest, burliest sport on earth!

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
Looks like it's gonna be another Bruins-Leafs matchup in the first round this season.
Same kind of setup in the atlantic as last year (barring wild card), bolts, burins, leafs. I'm hopeful that things work out the same as last year for the first two rounds, though I'm sure you have other opinions which is fine.

Same kind of setup in the atlantic as last year (barring wild card), bolts, burins, leafs. I'm hopeful that things work out the same as last year for the first two rounds, though I'm sure you have other opinions which is fine.
Yeah, I'm hoping for the leafs to advance, maybe even win the cup! Go leafs!

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
The Canucks are likely not making playoffs, so I am hoping that the Lightning win this year. They have been good for a while now and I think this is gonna be their best chance to get the cup. I would also like to see the Leafs finally get past the Bruins r1, so we could see a Lighting vs Leafs matchup that would likely be very good and I know how long Leafs fans have been waiting.

The Canucks are likely not making playoffs, so I am hoping that the Lightning win this year. They have been good for a while now and I think this is gonna be their best chance to get the cup. I would also like to see the Leafs finally get past the Bruins r1, so we could see a Lighting vs Leafs matchup that would likely be very good and I know how long Leafs fans have been waiting.
I'd like to see Nashville take it this year! Like the Lightning they just can't seem to get over the hump and I hope that changes. Cus my Devils aren't going anywhere LOL

Tampa is on pace for 130 pts after beating us (Kings) in a shootout. The record is 131 by Detroit and Blackhawks in the locked out season were on pace for 132 pts. They have a legit shot for the greatest season ever.
Also the 6 best Pres trophy winners for pts not including Chicago didn't win the cup.

View attachment 162463
Bout a 1 month update...... they have 120 pts with 7 games left! 12 more pts and they have the most pts of all time!!!

No team in the league has 100 pts and they are at 120, they have 12 more wins than the team with the 2nd most wins (flames), flames have the 2nd best goal differential with +56 they have +100, since the Pres trophy has been a thing only 4 teams have ever reached 120 pts or more. This team is truly incredible and I really want them to win the cup now. It'd be an absolute tragedy to see this team not take it all, there's really no team that's even close to their level.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
128 points, 62 wins, 16 losses, 4 OT losses. 75.61% (rounded to 2 places) win rate. Tied for the most wins in an NHL season. What a season.

But now its time to look forward, 1st in the NHL gets us the presidents trophy and home ice through the playoffs sure, but it doesn't change the fact that we don't have the cup yet, and that each series starts tied 0 - 0. Its not going to be easy, but I know the lightning can do it! GO BOLTS!

Round 1
(A1) Lightning VS (WC2) Blue Jackets
(A2) Bruins VS (A3) Maple Leafs
(M1) Capitals VS (WC1) Hurricanes
(M2) Islanders VS (M3) Penguins

(C1) Predators VS (WC1) Stars
(C2) Jets VS (C3) Blues
(P1) Flames VS (WC2) Avalanche
(P2) Sharks VS (P3) Golden Knights

Round 2
Lightning VS Maple Leafs
Capitals VS Islanders

Stars VS Jets
Flames VS Sharks

Conference Finals
Lightning VS Islanders
Jets VS Sharks

Stanley Cup Final
Lightning VS Sharks

Fun Fact: In yesterdays game (bolts vs bruins), one of the bruins players got whacked in the upper arm/lower shoulder and he acted like he got whacked in the face. Refs gave Boston a power play, which sucks. Good thing that the lightning immedietly scored a short handed goal, and Boston failed to convert on the rest of the power play.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I really do think it is Tampa's year this time and it is hard to see them losing to anyone in the playoffs. I think these playoffs are going to be great as I had a hard time with predictions which makes me feel like a lot of the series are going to be really close and could go either way. I would love to see the Hurricanes go far, but I think it is unlikely that they pass the Caps. Would like to see the Blues go far as well as I predicted, but I'm probably going to end up being wrong.
Round 1
(A1) Lightning VS (WC2) Blue Jackets
(A2) Bruins VS (A3) Maple Leafs
(M1) Capitals VS (WC1) Hurricanes
(M2) Islanders VS (M3) Penguins

(C1) Predators VS (WC1) Stars
(C2) Jets VS (C3) Blues
(P1) Flames VS (WC2) Avalanche
(P2) Sharks VS (P3) Golden Knights

Round 2
Lightning VS Bruins
Capitals VS Penguins

Stars VS Blues
Flames VS Golden Knights

Conference Finals
Lightning VS Capitals
Blues VS Golden Knights

Stanley Cup Final
Lightning VS Blues

First time since the Devils moved to NJ that both them and the Rangers missed the playoffs, and they both end up getting top 2 picks. Funny how things work out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)