The Floodgates Are Opened in VGC

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The first crack at VGC was back a few years ago in Los Angeles, where...I couldn't make it due to...uh...personal reasons. But now that VGC12 regionals are in Long Beach, CA, I'm going. Nothing's gonna stop me from competing this time! Except...Doubles have never been a strong point in my career. I can breed beauties, I can catch beauties, I can receive beauties, and I can perform well in singles, but doubles, outside of the mandated in the course of my journey...are not my foray. Still, the assistance of the forums have been a good help, and I believe I've come up with a decent team to do well enough at VGC12. The question is...am I right?

The Team!

From the start, once I found out that VGC12 opened the gates for most Pokemon, from 1-646 (with certain ones banned), I knew as others pointed out that weather would be front and center. So over the course of testing, I decided on a two weather team, Sandstream and Drought. From there, I figured that I wanted at least one benefactor from the weather, which is where Sand Veil abuse and increased power to Fire STAB came in. Finally, I decided to round out the team with some support, with Prankster and Intimidate to help.​

Ninetales (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
*The first weather inducer. With many teams running around with Drizzle and Swift Swim or Sandstream and Excadrill, taking away their main weapon with Drought, cutting the power of Water-type attacks is a blessing. In addition, it powers up Heat Wave, a move that hits all other Pokemon. Energy Ball is here for a consistent Grass-type move, as Solarbeam is risky. I've found Will-O-Wisp to be a life saver, since it helps cut the Attack power of prominent threats like Gyarados and Terrakion. Protect is to scout and helps preserve Ninetales' Air Balloon.

I have been thinking about Fire Gem to give Heat Wave a bigger kick and Imprison over Will-O-Wisp to lock out other Protect users. Ninetales helps out Tyranitar's Fire Blast, Blaziken's Blaze Kick, and Garchomp's Fire Fang, all while cutting their weakness or furthering neutrality to Water-type moves.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
*Tyranitar is the secondary Weather inducer, and is mostly around to support Garchomp. Still, it's useful in it's own right, as Rock-type STAB, especially through Rock Slide, which hits both opponents. Ice Beam is around for Dragon-types while Crunch is secondary STAB, useful for many of the Psychic-types running around to ruin Hitmontop and Blaziken. Fire Blast offers a way to hit Scizor while the item choice, Chople Berry, helps survive at least one Fighting-type attack.

Thundurus @ Electric Jewel
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
*Fast, agile, avoids Earthquake, and gimps supporting Pokemon. I usually pair it with Hitmontop or Garchomp (and to a lesser extent, Blaziken or Ninetales). Taunt is here for a speedy shutdown of supporters, Thunder Wave to cut the speed of sweepers. Discharge hits all foes and the 30% paralysis rate is always useful. The Electric Jewel makes it quite a powerful move for one turn. Hidden Power (Ice) for a pseudo-BoltBeam combo, and the only way to deal with Ground-types.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Wide Guard
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
*Hitmontop is usually in the lead, stopping common foes from attacking the first turn with Fake Out. Wide Guard is useful for protecting against the many attacks that hit both of my Pokemon; it becomes invaluable against Surf, Muddy Water, Rock Slide, and Earthquake. Sucker Punch is useful priority against Psychic-types, such as Latios and Reuniclus while Mach Punch is Fighting-type STAB and useful priority. Intimidate lessens the blow from physical attackers and can be used in conjunction with Ninetales' Will-O-Wisp.

I've been thinking about Close Combat over Mach Punch to do more damage, but there is PP issues and the defensive drops means Hitmontop can't stick around for long. Still, it is a good idea to have an easier time against Blissey and Terrakion.

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Blaze Kick
- Hi Jump Kick
- Rock Slide
- Protect
*Blaziken is boss chicken. With the support of Ninetales' Drought, STAB LO Blaze Kick puts a great dent or even outright kills plenty of foes. Hi Jump Kick is a risky move due to Protect spam, but it is more powerful than the alternatives of Sky Uppercut and Brick Break. Rock Slide hits Salamence, Zapdos, and Gyarados, plus the flinch hax is useful for Blaziken's sweeping potential. Protect is used to get a least one Speed Boost up.

Flare Blitz was considered, but I wanted to reserve Blaziken's health as much as possible, and Blaze Kick's increased critical hit ratio can help in a pinch. This thing functions best when under the sun, as it helps against Blaziken's weakness to Water-types and powers up its primary STAB.

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Fire Fang
- Rock Slide
*The favorite Poke and the abuser of Sandstorm. Earthquake for STAB and it does hit both Pokemon, although his partner is also targeted. Dual Chop over Dragon Claw, for the purpose of breaking Subs; it also wields the same power of Dragon Claw. Fire Fang is exclusively for Ferrothorn, but if Drought is up, it helps against a myriad of other foes. Finally, Rock Slide is here as a secondary move to hit both opposing Pokemon. Helps against Thundurus, Tornadus, and Gyarados.

Garchomp actually benefits from both weathers. Sandstorm activates that Sand Veil ability, and with a little luck, Garchomp avoids that deadly Draco Meteor from Latios. Drought powers up Fire Fang and extinguishes Garchomp's neutrality to Water-type attacks. As for partners, he works well with everyone: Tyranitar is obvious for Sandstorm support, but if I wish to spam Earthquake, Quick Guard from Hitmontop and Thundurus' Flying-typing protects it. Ninetales, with Air Balloon or Protect or Blaziken with Protect, though these last two are situational. As for item choice, I went with Yache Berry to help Garchomp survive most Ice-type attacks. An alternate idea was Brightpowder and Substitute over Rock Slide or Fire Fang, but it does feel a bit limited.

Issues I've come upon:

: Annoying to face. The sheer bulk, Mental Herb to block Taunt efforts, so therefore it sets up Trick Room quite easily. Takes a while to take down if I don't bring Tyranitar.

: Another bulky foe. Thanks to Levitate, it has no exploitable weakness. Usually have to target it with both Pokemon to inflict a great deal of damage, leaving the other Pokemon free rein.

Protect: I understand it's very, very common. Still, it is qute annoying to deal with. It means I can't spam Blaziken's Hi Jump Kick, making me consider Sky Uppercut. I have been thinking about Imprison on Ninetales to prevent repeated usage.

Those are the major problems I have, but if anyone can see other problems, please let me know. Any suggestions, please say so!

Solid team you got there. Well heres two suggestions i have. As you know mental herb pretty much renders taunt not as efficient. You can use substitute over taunt. It can be very useful in situations where you know your opponents gonna protect.

Also I see your not using a sash on any one. Why don't you put it on chomp, so now you have a 100% chance of surviving both dragon, and ice attacks.

Also Your ttar is unique, but its normal physical set not only gives it bulk, but is more efficient.

ttar@chople
brave
252atk, 252 speed

rock slide
crunch
low kick/EQ
protect

This is the usual standard, and is far better than mix imo.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Solid team you got there. Well heres two suggestions i have. As you know mental herb pretty much renders taunt not as efficient. You can use substitute over taunt. It can be very useful in situations where you know your opponents gonna protect.

Also I see your not using a sash on any one. Why don't you put it on chomp, so now you have a 100% chance of surviving both dragon, and ice attacks.

Also Your ttar is unique, but its normal physical set not only gives it bulk, but is more efficient.

ttar@chople
brave
252atk, 252 speed

rock slide
crunch
low kick/EQ
protect

This is the usual standard, and is far better than mix imo.
With a Brave nature, what will Tyranitar outspeed with that spread? And are you sure it's worth letting Taunt go for Substitute?

Anyone else with some suggestions?

I'm going to do this how I like to rate RMTs. Pokemon by Pokemon:

Ninetails: The set looks pretty solid, but a Fire Gem would be more useful than Air balloon.

Ttar. I would run Soul Survivers set with an Adamant Nature. Also, you could give it Ninetails Air Balloon if you want.

Thundurus: Solid set, nothing much else to say.

Hitmontop. close Combat over Mach Punch, but not much else to say.

Garchomp: I would put a Sash on it, like Soul Survivor said, and change fire Fang to protect. Ferrathorn isn't all that commen, and pokemon like Garchomp need protect.

Blaziken: Hi Jump Kick is too risky, and should be replaced with Protect.

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)