The Hailstone Trinity

Note: I feel I should qualify this by saying that this is a Double Battle warstory.

Note: This is not a brand new warstory. I changed the title and planned to edit it a third warstory (hence the 'trinity'). It will be done in a few hours.

The Hailstone Trinity

I prepared a team in my spare weekends, the only time I am able to access Wifi right now, that focuses on rain sweepers. The very first battle I had with it was so memorable, that I decided to make a warstory out of it. Then, immediately after logging off and loading that one up, I had ANOTHER fine battle. Being as that I hadn't written one up in a while, I wanted to appease my creative outlet with a little something, but I couldn't decide on the one I prefered. Hence, you see before you two battles.

Key:
-> My team's movements and subsequent effects
-> Foe's team's movements and subsequent effects
-> Unattached side effects
-> Switches

Table of Contents:

Battle #1
Battle #2
Battle #3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle One: Who will stop the rain?

72-38980-82908

-> Sirk sent out Metagross and Rotom!
-> Opponent sent out Jellicent and Amoonguss!

Doubles is largely a game of gambits. For those of you who became familiar with the VGC2011 metagame you will recognize this as almost an inherent truth, at least in that format and this one, Random Matchup, owing to the mere 4 pokemon each player is alotted. You could have Arceus and Kyogre in the back row, but if you have feeble leads or even just an undeveloped strategy for them, you're just setup fodder for a good opponent. While not less intricate or more lacking in strategy than Doubles, Singles is a relatively "narrow" battle format where attacks are only directed at a single opponent. There, facing a team full of 600 BSTs can actually be pretty difficult even to the better player, just because there's only so much he can do in any one turn. But in Doubles, you have a mountain of options, and can even circumvent incoming attacks with Protect. The opponent using a team full of ubers still has a little natural advantage over the player who isn't using ubers, but the discrepancy between them is much less than in Doubles. This was truer in Gen IV, when anyone who had Explosion could roll over a team full of Pokemon without Protect. It's still true in the form of environmental effects, which can be enjoyed by both members of a side while taking only one Pokemon to make the effect (Singles also has great potential for weather abuse, but while the weather still only takes one Pokemon to put it into effect, only one pokemon on your side can enjoy it at a time).

My team being a rain team, a completely revamped version of an old rain team called War Soap (out of which another warstory was written), I have things made to abuse the extra water-STAB, Thunder's accuracy, Pokemon's abilities, and reduced Fire-type attack power. But it isn't always best to start with your weather-setter in the vanguard, because your opponent can do it too, messing you up and putting your weather setup two turns behind (One turn if you have U-turn or Volt Switch). Weather also isn't very subtle, compared to Trick Room and arguably Tailwind, which have a plethora of Pokemon capable of using them. One of the Pokemon usable in and out of Trick Room is Jellicent, whom I am now facing down, so I'll have to treat this situation like it's both of them. Even if I knew what it was going to do, that doesn't narrow it down completely. Is it wearing a Scarf? Leftovers? Water Gem? Any of those could be on there so far (In fact, the only thing I know it isn't wearing is an Air Balloon). Seeing Amoonguss by Jelly's side means it probably is the Trick Room variant, but as my opponent is evidently a seasoned player with his Gold Card, he probably also knows that I've figured that out, and might not use Trick Room right away. If he doesn't, I've got the potential to do some damage with Thunder from Rotom-W, and if he's a scarfer and outruns Rotom-W, well, he can't do crap to it anyway. If he does, I might be looking at a Rage Powder in tandem with the TR. Well, I'm going to stick to my original strategy, since I can't switch in anything now that would be better to handle Jellicent:

Turn 1

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vs<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

100%
100%

-> Metagross was returned!
-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

-> Jellicent used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Rotom used Thunder!
-> Jellicent protected itself!

-> Amoonguss used Spore!
-> Politoed fell asleep!

This is what I meant by "circumventing" in one of the above paragraphs. My opponent predicted the incoming Thunder, Protect'd, then Spore'd with Amoonguss. He knew that Metagross couldn't do anything and that a switch would be even better, a free turn while he Spore'd. Now I've got my weather in place and he doesn't have his effect on the field yet, but who is really at the advantage? Rotom-W's Thunder could take care of Jellicent... if Amoonguss wasn't there to Rage Powder it away. Politoed could KO Amoonguss with Ice Beam... if it actually had a respectable SpA. And even if it crit'd Amoonguss, Rotom's Thunder would already have been drawn to Amoonguss, since (as my foe likely knows) my Rotom is faster than my Politoed. Well, if he knows what he's doing, I may as well pretend to as well:

Turn 2

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

100%
100%

-> Politoed was returned!
-> Go, Metagross!

-> Rotom used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Amoonguss used Rage Powder!
-> It became the center of attention!

-> Jellicent used Trick Room!
-> The dimensions were twisted!

That was basically inevitable. I figured there was an off-chance he might Spore the non-sleeping Pokemon of the two, Rotom-W, so I Protect'd with Rotom and switch my sleeper into someone else, namely Metagross. Bad move. I should also say that I thought Amoonguss might Giga Drain Politoed, but I forgot that nobody gives a damn about the sleep clause on Wifi, and Spore being obviously the safer option, he's liable to use it again when he has sped up under Trick Room conditions. Amoonguss is the absolute Sandman under TR. If he decides he wants you to sleep, you'll sleep; if he wants your whole party to sleep, well, you're having a slumber party. There are ways to work around this, though, which I will attempt to use right now.

Turn 3

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

100%
100%

-> Rotom was returned!
-> Go, Politoed!

-> Metagross used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Amoonguss used Spore!
-> Politoed is already asleep!

-> Jellicent used Scald!
-> Metagross protected itself!

While I only used one Protect, switching in a pre-sleep'd Pokemon is like having an entirely shielded side when one foe is a Spore user and the other one is predictable. I'm even for the count right now, but I successfully burned one turn of Trick Room. Now, since I don't have any sleepers on the bench, and Metagross used Protect just now, I basically need to go on the offensive, however poorly I can do that under Trick Room. But my opponent wants to get an edge in with the switch-fest, and you'll see the reason I didn't start the battle with Politoed promptly:

Turn 4

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

100%
100%

-> The opponent returned Jellicent!
-> Abomasnow was sent out!
-> It started to hail!

-> Politoed is fast asleep.

-> Amoonguss used Spore!
-> Metagross fell asleep!

-> Metagross is fast asleep.

-> Amoonguss was buffeted by hail!
-> Politoed was buffeted by hail!
-> Metagross was buffeted by hail!

Yep, the god damned Snowman is here to have a party with Sandman and pals. Hail is the bane of the ever-popular Focus Sash in Doubles, and Abomasnow's existence is part of the reason I don't carry one. Amoonguss Spore'd my anti-Snowman Pokemon to render the visible party fully-crippled. At least I spent Politoed's necessary Sleep turn, so there's a chance I'll have an awake attacker coming up. I have a hunch that neither Amoonguss nor Abomasnow is going to attack or Spore Metagross, seeing as that I'm not likely to switch him out with no backup sleeper to absorb a Spore. That gives me an idea.

Turn 5

---------------
---------------
100%
94%

94%
94%

-> Go, Rotom!

-> Politoed woke up!
-> Politoed used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
-> Politoed protected itself!

-> Abomasnow used Energy Ball!

-> Rotom was buffeted by hail!

Success! The plants focused fire on Politoed and were neutralized by Protect, and I got a free swtich in and another free Trick Room turn. I took some hail damage but, hell, so did he.I still have one more turn of Trick Room to endure and Politoed isn't fast (read: slow) enough to outrun either of them. I have another hunch, too: Having experience with JP players who use TR and Tailwind, they tend to prepare pretty well for when it's about to run out. I think I know which batter's coming back to the plate.

If he indeed sends in Jellicent for Trick Room again, he's probably going to be afraid of Rotom-W's Thunder, so where's his Spore likely to fall? Well, not on Rotom anymore, because I'm sending in my current snoozer to absorb it.

Turn 6

---------------
---------------
100%
88%

94%
88%

-> The opponent returned Abomasnow!
-> Jellicent was sent out!

-> Go, Metagross!

-> Rotom was returned!
-> Go, Ludicolo!

-> Amoonguss used Spore!
-> Ludicolo fell asleep!

-> Ludicolo was buffeted by hail!
-> Jellicent was buffeted by hail!

-> The twisted dimensions returned to normal!

lolfailpredict. Now there's no question who's running the advantage. I've got two sleepers, one of whom is in his first sleep stage (so he's definitely not dreaming yet) (lolpsychology); he's got hail in place, and a healthy TRer ready to set it up again. Things are not looking too bright for the Soap. I can throw in some chicken bones, do a little rain dance, and consult the oracle to find out if Metagross will wake up this turn, but it won't do me much good unless Meteor Mash happens to crit on Amoonguss. The last Trick Room turns were a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing except a bunch of sleeping. I don't think he's going to go for that again.

Jellicent's move is pretty much sealed, but Amoonguss' is a three-way coin toss between Rage Powder, Giga Drain, and an unlikely cautionary Spore. I bet on the Rage Powder initially, but I realized that he knew I couldn't do anything to Jellicent (again). Ludicolo literally could not wake up this coming turn, and Metagross wouldn't KO with ThunderPunch even if he woke up, which he didn't, which doesn't matter because he didn't carry ThunderPunch anyway.

Turn 7

---------------
---------------
94%
82%

94%
88%

-> Metagross is fast asleep.

-> Ludicolo is fast asleep.

-> Ludicolo took 25% damage!
-> Amoonguss restored some health!

-> Jellicent used Trick Room!
-> The dimensions were twisted!

Another predictfail, which didn't matter because by fighters are in lala land, having inappropriate dreams about underage Metangs and female Ludicolos not wearing their fur. At least Jellicent did like it was supposed to, which means at least I'm getting a little better at mindreading (from halfway across the world, no less!). Now both of my boys *can* wake up, and the now-faster Amoonguss won't Spore either of them unless my opponent is dicking me around. Amoonguss won't Rage Powder for reasons scantily explained above: it would draw fire that it would have anyway.

I'm running an... unusual item on Metagross due to the restrictions of the item clause. It wouldn't have been necessary as you will momentarily see, but hell, maybe it confuses my opponent a little. Or maybe it is a normal item and I'm just an unusual person. Probably a little of both. Anyhow, I'm going to repeat my opponent earlier tactic, hopefully omitting the part where I Protect'd and rendered it useless.

Turn 8

---------------
---------------
88%
89%

58%
82%

-> Ludicolo took 23% damage!
-> Amoonguss restored some health!

-> Jellicent used Scald!
-> Metagross took 25% damage!

-> Metagross woke up!
-> Metagross used Meteor Mash!
-> The Steel Gem boosted the attack!
-> Amoonguss took 87% damage!

-> Ludicolo woke up!
-> Ludicolo used Ice Beam!
-> Amoonguss took 5% damage!
-> A critical hit!
-> It's super effective!
-> The foe's Amoonguss fainted!

-> The opponent sent out Abomasnow!

4-3

The opponent's moves were... rather feeble. I guess when everything's asleep Amoonguss is not such a tough guy anymore. I figured Jelly's Water Spout would still be more powerful than Scald, even in hail, but maybe he doesn't even carry it. The foe may have foreseen things like Rotom-W's Thunder as too big a threat to Jellicent to have an HP-dependent attack on him. But then why was he so cautious about keeping Jellicent's HP high in the beginning? So many questions, so few answers...

At least there won't be any more sleep-casualties today. Ludicolo makes the first KO of the match with a totally unnecessary crit. In retrospect, if I had used Giga Drain on Jellicent instead of Ice Beam on Amoonguss, I could still have used Bullet Punch from Metagross to KO Amoonguss before it could do anything next turn. But I didn't really know that it would do THAT much; he must have been a SpD-heavy Amoonguss.

Well, Ludicolo can't do a whole whole lot anymore, and I need to clear the hail up and get a little glory back in my side. There's only one frog that can do that. In the meantime, I need to get rid of Abomasnow stat, and while I hate to hope for criticals (not the least reason for which being that they tend to make people ragequit), one of them would really help out here.

Turn 9

---------------
---------------
82%
100%

29%
52%

-> Ludicolo was returned!
-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

-> Metagross used Bullet Punch!
-> Abomasnow took 62% damage!
-> It's super effective!

-> Abomasnow used Blizzard!
-> Metagross took 27% damage!
-> Politoed took 21% damage!
-> It's not very effective on Metagross or Politoed...

-> Jellicent used Scald!
-> Metagross took 25% damage!
-> Metagross fainted!

-> Go, Ludicolo!

3-3

That worked pretty well. I got my rain in, a nice chunk off of Abomasnow, and a renewed Fake Out. Metagross soaked up some damage, then keeled over and cleared up some space. There are no more 100% accurate Blizzards to fear either, until he decides to bring in the last party member. Well, unless it's a ghost, I can at least Fake Out it. Politoed can't do crap to Jellicent so he'll have to break out the Ice Beam in case Abomasnow doesn't switch.

Turn 10

---------------
---------------
82%
38%

61%
21%

-> Chandelure was sent out!

-> Ludicolo used Fake Out!
-> It doesn't affect Chandelure...

-> Jellicent used Blizzard!
-> Politoed took 9% damage!
-> Ludicolo took 13% damage!
-> It's not very effective on Politoed...

-> Politoed used Ice Beam!
-> Chandelure took 12% damage!
-> It's not very effective...

Back the fun bus the fuck up! Where did Chandelure come from? Out of the depths of hell, that's where. Another focus-fire plan fails, only perhaps breaking the Sash Chandelure's probably not wearing anyway because of the hail. I have a feeling he only took him into the field to 1) laugh in my face at the uselessness of Fake Out and 2) to renew his weather. Well, two can play at that game.

Turn 11

---------------
---------------
82%
88%

52%
10%

-> The opponent returned Chandelure!
-> It started to hail!

-> Go, Rotom!

-> Jellicent used Blizzard!
-> Rotom took 14% damage!
-> Ludicolo took 10% damage!
-> It's not very effective on Rotom...
-> Ludicolo fainted!

-> The twisted dimensions returned to normal!

-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

2-3

Rotom-W is still running strong. That's makes only one of us. The plan worked though, and and I got the weather back on my side, easy as that. Now Trick Room is gone and finally, finally I've got the advantage. He may try to renew his weather one last time but I see through him like a window cleaned with Febreeze and lumberjack spit (the manliest of all spit). He probably sees what I'm going to do too, and what Rotom has to do is fairly obvious.

Turn 12

---------------
---------------
75%
38%

86%
52%

-> Chandelure was sent out!

-> Jellicent used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Rotom used Thunder!
-> Jellicent protected itself!

-> Politoed used Hydro Pump!
-> The Water Gem boosted the attack!
-> Chandelure took 88% damage!
-> It's super effective!
-> Chandelure fainted!

-> Rotom restored some HP using leftovers!

-> It began to hail!

2-2

Oh Chandelure, we'd only just met... I knew that Hydro Pump, in the rain, with STAB, and a Water Gem, would hit Abomasnow harder than Ice Beam, and Chandelure, well, I won't say he died a pretty death. The weather war is officially over, with hail triumphing to my dismay, but being basically unable to Trick Room anymore he can't take advantage of Abomasnow as well as he could otherwise. Rotom is about to expire his usefulness, but either way I think the game is decided.

Turn 13

---------------
---------------
75%
38%

92%
52%

-> Rotom used Thunder!
-> Jellicent took 75% damage!
-> It's super effective!
-> Jellicent fainted!

-> Abomasnow took 29% damage!

-> Abomasnow used Energy Ball!
-> Rotom took 92% damage!
-> It's super effective!
-> Rotom fainted!

1-1

Holy crap Energy Ball hit Rotom hard... or maybe it's because I didn't give my poor little guy any HP EVs. Abomasnow couldn't hit both of us with anything useful, and unless Jellicent double-Protect'd, there wasn't much he could do. Now I have the speed advantage, so there's only one thing he can do.

Turn 14

---------------
---------------
9%

>>>>>>>>>>Vs<<<<<<<<<<

46%

-> Abomasnow used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Abomasnow protected itself!

O_o Is he seriously going to do it? It could work...

Turn 15

---------------
---------------
9%

>>>>>>>>>>Vs<<<<<<<<<<

40%

-> Abomasnow took 9% damage!
-> Abomasnow fainted!

Nope. He backs downs and lets Abomasnow give up the ghost.

Props:
-My opponent, for not disconnecting on me.
-Jellicent, Abomasnow, and Amoonguss for doing Trick Room well.
-My sleeping pokemon, for waking up quickly.

Slops:
-Rotom, for failing to take a mere Energy Ball from 92 base Aboma without a LO or Choice Specs (Really, my fault here).
-Chandelure, for doing basically nothing.

The Hailstone Trilogy

Battle Two: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Spaniards

59-62184-85663

-> Sirk sent out Politoed and Ludicolo!
-> The opponent sent out Whimsicott and Heatran!
-> It began to rain!
-> The foe's Heatran floats on its Air Balloon!

For this battle, I completely ignored my opponent's card color and win count so that I could go in unbiased. At this moment, I am totally unsure about what he can do or what he plans to do with his leads. Whimsicott is the Unova wildcard, with at least a dozen completely viable move choices. Usually its purpose can be deduced by looking at its partner, but Heatran doesn't provide any answers. He seems like an odd choice for a Tailwind lead... Maybe he's an Oblivia Heatran, and really needs the speed boost? Or maybe the Whimsicott is just an auxiliary "frustrator" Pokemon, included to, well, frustrate other setup. Of course, if my opponent is wise, and can discern that I have at least passable Doubles knowledge, he'll expect that I won't stay in for Encore if I Protect or Fake Out. That can be used to my advantage, exploiting that expectation and staying in while he *doesn't* Encore. Of course, that won't matter until a later turn.

Right now, I'm going to do my "usual lead combo" and see if I can net some damage.

Turn 1

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

100%
100%

-> Heatran used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Whimsicott took 5% damage!

-> Whimsicott flinched and couldn’t move!

-> Politoed used Surf!
-> The Water Gem boosted Surf's power!
-> Ludicolo took 23% damage!
-> It’s not very effective…
-> The Absorb Bulb raised Ludicolo’s Sp. Attack!
-> Whimsicott took 39% damage!
-> Whimsicott restored health with its Sitrus Berry!

Fake Out kind of worked against me, obscuring Whimsicott's purpose for an extra turn, but it did save Politoed from a little damage if he was going for an unlikely Energy Ball, perhaps to weaken Politoed enough to be blasted away by Eruption or something. Whimsicott moved right after flinch, but since he's already faster than Politoed and Heatran, I can't tell if he used an attack or status move. In retrospect, Fake Out might not have been the best option: It prevented me from seeing what Whimsicott would do WITHOUT stopping Whimsicott from ultimately doing what it would, and now I'm going to waste the Absorb Bulb's SpA boost because I have to switch out to nullify a (possibly) incoming Encore. If it doesn't Encore, I'll have given it a free turn to setup while I switch. I learned its item, though, so I can at least get some perspective.

Most importantly, I've guessed at this point that if it is indeed a Tailwind Whimsicott, Heatran probably doesn't have spectacular speed, and Politoed might outrun it and KO with a water attack. It already used its Protect, so that's one impediment down. What will you do, Whimsicott?

Turn 2

---------------
---------------
100%
71%

100%
77%

-> Go, Rotom!

-> Whimsicott used Sunny Day!
-> The sunlight turned harsh!

-> Heatran used Earth Power!
-> It doesn’t affect Rotom…

-> Politoed used Hydro Pump!
-> Heatran took 54% damage!
-> It’s super effective!

Balls. Hot sweaty balls, amplified by the now-shining sun. I appreciate the nullified Earth Power (An odd choice on Ludicolo... or was he expecting one of my two Ground-weak auxiliaries?) but Rotom-W is now half-useless because both his attacks are hurt in sun, and only Politoed's Ice Beam can really do some damage now. If Whimsicott carries SolarBeam--and he wouldn't be afraid to use it, knowing I can't possibly renew my weather before he uses it--Politoed is going to lose a chunk of health. Heatran is less than half full, which means another Hydro Pump will KO it. Theoretically.

But I choose not to go that road. If I switch out Politoed, I can both renew the rain fairly soon and let Rotom-W, sporting a higher SpA stat, douse that Fire/Steel punk. Getting an opponent out of the way early is more important than it seems; it restricts Pokemon movement so much that it's sometimes worth going gung-ho on one foe's ass. Not a hard guarantee, though, so I'm playing semi-cautiously for now. For now.

Turn 3

---------------
---------------
46%
71%

100%
100%

-> The opponent returned Heatran!
-> Gastrodon was sent out!

-> Go, Ludicolo!

-> Whimsicott used Tailwind!
-> A tailwind blew behind the opponent’s team!

-> Rotom used Hydro Pump!
-> It doesn’t affect Gastrodon…
-> The foe’s Gastrodon’s Sp. Attack was raised!

The perfect rain counter. Water moves? ,,/,, <-- Right here, man. Electric moves? What is this I don't even... At least I have the one Pokemon designed to handle Water/Ground-types well out in the field now, though I suspect like any ordinary Mud-type monster he has a Rindo Berry waiting for me. Now random JP opponent has Tailwind and Sun working for him, which doesn't really contradict Gastro's Water-type moves since it won't be using them against a rain team anyway. In fact, knowing my opponent's strange Earth Power-fixation, he might be using it against Ludicolo. But even in sun, unless Gastrodon is HEAVILY invested in its Spe, it shouldn't outrun Ludicolo even in Tailwind, meaning before it hits me I can take somewhere between most and all of its HP away. Lotus duck, don't fail me now!

Turn 4

---------------
---------------
100%
71%

77%
100%

-> Rotom was returned!
-> Go, Metagross!

-> Whimsicott used Fake Tears!
-> Ludicolo’s Sp. Defense harshly fell!

-> Ludicolo used Giga Drain!
-> Gastrodon took 53% damage!
-> The Rindo Berry reduced Giga Drain’s power!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Gastrodon's health was drained!

-> Gastrodon used Earth Power!
-> Ludicolo took 59% damage!

Metagross gets a safe switch in thanks to my opponent's conservative strategy, that being: don't Earth Power something in the air. Instead, Earth Power something that... resists it? I assume he predicted a Ludicolo switch to something Earth-weak, but then Fake Tears wouldn't have been necessary, since a +1 Gastro Earth Power would OHKO anything weak to it anyway. Maybe the Sunny Day got in his eyes, or he panicked in the *sunglasses* heat of the moment. Metagross was nearly guaranteed a safe switch anyhow, if he decided to Grass-attack Rotom-W (against which, as the previous story demonstrated, Rotom is surprisingly weak). Well, Ludicolo is wounded pretty bad now, but team War Soap +1 isn't in such dire straits, since his one 600 BST pokemon is about equally damaged. In any case, I'm dead sick of worrying about what Whimsicott can do, so I'm going to punch it in the cotton-balls.

Turn 5

---------------
---------------
47%
71%

41%
100%

-> The opponent returned Whimsicott!
-> Heatran was sent out!

-> Gastrodon used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> The Steel Gem boosted its attack power!
-> Heatran took 11% damage!

-> Ludicolo used Giga Drain!
-> Gastrodon protected itself!

Well, there goes the Steel Gem I probably shouldn't have been wearing anyway. And the Protect I might have seen, except I was busy being retarded over with Metagross when he had a 4x resist lying in tow, and didn't even need Whimsicott in to renew Tailwind yet. I hate to be "that guy" that repeats the same attack he just used, but Gastrodon can't Protect again safely and I don't think he wants to switch out yet and toss his +1 SpA boost. Meanwhile... Rain. I want it back. So stop: (Double) switch time.

Turn 6

---------------
---------------
47%
35%

41%
100%

-> Go, Rotom!

-> The opponent returned Gastrodon!
-> Whimsicott was sent out!

-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

-> Heatran used Heat Wave!
-> Politoed avoided the attack!
-> Rotom took 13% damage!
-> Rotom was burned!

-> Rotom recovered some HP using its Leftovers!
-> Rotom was hurt by its burn!

-> The foe’s team’s tailwind petered out!

See, old self? NOW is when he wants Whimsicott on the field. Heat Wave's miss-hax is cancelled out by burn-hax on Rotom-W. It was at least on my Leftovers wearer, and a Special Attacker no less. Now, Whimsicott is back out, and he is probably there to do one of two things: Sunny Day or Tailwind. The former would cripple my team until Politoed switched out-and-in, but the latter has a guaranteed three turns to work, even though at least one of his team members doesn't really benefit from it at all (And I can double-Protect through 2 of the 3 turns). He probably senses that Whimsicott's time is coming, and he's going to make this attack one to last.

Turn 7

---------------
---------------
71%
35%

81%
100%

-> The opponent returned Heatran!
-> It started to hail!

-> Whimsicott used Tailwind!
-> A tailwind blew behind the opponent’s team!

-> Rotom used Thunder!
-> Abomasnow avoided the attack!

-> Whimsicott took 71% damage!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Whimsicott fainted!

-> Rotom restored some HP using its Leftovers!

-> The opponent sent out Gastrodon!

4-3

He's been carefully dancing around that last member, and now we see it in all its glory. For the couple seconds between when Abomasnow came into the field and when Whimsicott used its move, I had an "Oh shit" moment when I realized he was about to have the best of both worlds: crippled foe rain-team, hastega'd nonrain-team. Hail is now counter-acting Leftovers to give the burn its full 12.5% damage, and won't stop for a couple turns or more. Further, he got the weakened Gastrodon a free switch in, predicting (accurately) that I would KO Whimsicott, who would have been useless for several turns afterwards anyway >.> Well played, grasshopper. But I haven't kicked the bucket yet.

Turn 8

---------------
---------------
47%
100%

69%
94%

-> Rotom used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Politoed used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Abomasnow used Giga Drain!
-> Rotom protected itself!

-> Gastrodon was buffeted by hail!

-> Rotom restored some HP using its Leftovers!

We're 1/3 of the way through the jet stream, guys! They used pretty standard attacks, and I have no reason to believe they will stop; time is ticking away on Tailwind. I can basically nullify them if all goes well, AND have another volley of Protects to use. Time for an encore performance of my patented double-switch*!

Turn 9

---------------
---------------
41%
100%

57%
88%

-> Rotom was returned!
-> Go, Metagross!

-> Go, Ludicolo!

-> Ludicolo took 41% damage!
-> Ludicolo fainted!

-> Metagross took 71% damage!
-> It’s super effective!

-> Gastrodon was buffeted by hail!

-> Politoed was sent out!
-> It started to rain!

3-3

Not cool, Gastrodon. I didn't authorize you to hurt my boy! Damn your Earth Power prediction! Poor Ludicolo didn't make it... but I got weather back on my side, and a safe switch in. What will Abomasnow do now, though? He's still got a 4x Steel-type resistor in the background, waiting to void the only attack on my team that can really dispose of Snowmen. And switching would only help renew his weather, too. Let's play the last Tailwind turn safe and get Politoed a possible future safe-switchin in case Abomasnow doesn't switch.

Turn 10

---------------
---------------
35%
100%

24%
88%

-> Go, Rotom!

-> Metagross used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Rotom took 57% damage!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Rotom fainted!

-> Metagross protected itself!

-> The foe’s team’s tailwind petered out!

-> Politoed was sent out!

2-3

Well, well! No switch, and a dead Rotom-W, but Tailwind is gone, and rain is still falling. That can change, though, and I would prepare for that, but I don't think my opponent is about to change his mind on Abomasnow's position and do the switch he could have done. There's a good chance he fears Earthquake now, which would both KO a balloon-less Heatran and put Gastrodon within KO range for Ice Beam. So I flip my lucky John Galt coin and it tells me to stick to my guns.

Turn 11

---------------
---------------
35%
100%

24%
88%

-> Gastrodon used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Gastrodon protected itself!

-> Metagross used Meteor Mash!
-> Abomasnow took 100% damage!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Abomasnow held on using its Focus Sash!

-> Metagross took 22% damage!
-> Metagross’ health was drained!

Metagross holds on with exactly. One. Hit point. Because of my choice of move it must have been obvious to the foe that I would have to use Ice Beam on Gastrodon, and maybe he was scouting to make sure that that's what I did. I haven't done the damage calcs to see how close Politoed's Ice Beam will get Gastrodon to KO, but I suspect it will be close enough to die to a Bullet Punch... after I dispense of Abomasnow.

Turn 12

---------------
---------------
35%
5%

1%
88%

-> Abomasnow used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Abomasnow protected itself!

-> Gastrodon took 35% damage!
-> A critical hit!
-> Gastrodon fainted!

-> The opponent sent out Heatran!

2-2

To repeat an earlier comment, I hate to revel in a crit, but, damn, I needed that. We're now in Endgame territory. Abomasnow is out of Protect, so Bullet Punch will dispense of it easily. Then it's a 2v1 match, with Heatran having to target both of my teammates to win, or KO the one that he feels is more threatening. I know that Hydro Pump has the dastardly tendency to miss, so I'll go with the safe option. Metagross, you've served me well. Look away, old boy ;_;

Turn 13

---------------
---------------
35%
5%

1%
88%

-> Abomasnow took 5% damage!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Abomasnow fainted!

-> Heatran used Earth Power!
-> Politoed took 74% damage!
-> A critical hit!

-> Politoed used Surf!
-> Metagross took 1% damage!
-> Metagross fainted!
-> Heatran took 35% damage!
-> It’s super effective!
-> Heatran fainted!

1-0

My heart might have skipped a beat if the game announced the "critical hit" before the actual damage was done, but it doesn't, so I didn't. Success!

Props:
-Once again, my opponent, for not disconnecting on me. That means a lot to me.
-Metagross, and his Focus Band-like endurance.
-Whimsicott, for frustrating everything I did pretty effecively (until he died).

Slops:
-Abomasnow, whose resilience in staying in towards the end cost his master.
-Heatran and Gastrodon, for a strange Earth Power fetish that only sort of worked out.
-Me, for not remembering half my opponent's team by the time the battle started.

*All rights reserved. Do not double-switch without prior consulting Ashenlock LLC.

On turn 7, you have a Politoed sprite although Metagross is on the field.

On turn 9, you might want to change the wording of
Metagross took his hits like a champ
because I can imagine that if Citizen reads this, he'll post about it.

Other than that, I liked it.

VGC and Doubles?
Great warstory, without too many flaws: no hax, good predictions, great format and comments. Expecting the other warstory to be posted. I give a 9/10 for your first warstory.

Great battle, you have a thing for Double Battles, right?
10/10 Commentary

Now hurry with the rest of this great warstory!

9/10

Because I am jealous of you actually having a decent double battle..

I never get them.

Also the format and commentary was pleasing.

Thanks for all the commentary, folks! I edited in the second story just now, and will get to cleaning up all the minor details soon.

Amazing. Not only did you post a warstory warstories in my favourite battle style of all time, but it also has a brilliant strategy and commentary to back it up. Kudos to you and please post more, even if the battle at hand wasn't absoultely perfect.

With all honesty, if the formatting was just a bit more appealing, I don't know how, this would easily break my favorite Gen V warstories. It is in my top ten of all warstories. Really great job and I hope you write more in the future

A couple weeks after the first two battles I had another that I felt was worthy of writing down. I was dissatisfied by having two battles in the thread; I wanted to go for the trifecta. I couldn't edit in into another post, though, because I didn't expect that I'd get another such good battle.

This is the third story with Abomasnow, hence the change in title. It is not as long as the other two and has less strategy from my side I think, but it demonstrates how useful switching is in Doubles to renew things like Intimidate and Fake Out.

Enjoy. As usual if you find anything inconsistent or confusing, just tell me and I'll work on it.

Battle 3: The story of the Fake Out War veteran
90-96665-34936

-> Sirk sent out Scizor and Ludicolo!
-> The opponent sent out Hitmontop and Rotom-F!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Scizor's Attack!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Ludicolo's Attack!

I'm pretty sure he thought the same thing I did when he saw Politoed on my team and was planning to switch his own weather-maker onto the field second-turn, which is why I'm now facing two nonweather vanguards. I see two immediate choices he can utilize: he can switch one, or the other. Yep. Those are the two.

But to elaborate: Of the two opponents I am now facing, it is not so clear which one of them wants to back out. Intimi-top would switch out normally as hail came in to rule the day for Rotom-F, because even outside of weather Ludicolo is likelier to be Speed EV-invested. Hitmontop in doubles is a conglomerate of priority moves, from Fake Out to Feint to Sucker Punch to Mach Punch. Surely I would try to stop him with my own, probably faster Fake Out? But he might know that I know he's going to switch to one of them and "sucker punch" me by keeping him in, and keeping Snowman from taking any damage if he correctly guessed the one of the two who wasn't switching.

Now let's peek inside the foe's brain with my super X-powers: ...Scizor strikes fear into the cold heart of Abomasnow, so he might stay in and predict a switch from one of them to Aboma, and stop the weather war from ever happening with Bug Bite or Acrobatics or Bullet Punch, while keeping Politoed back. He can also still possibly OHKO Hitmontop at -1 Atk, and I don't know whether he's speed invested... but he must know I've got weather hanging in the back of the team, so he'll try to Fake Out Rotom-F and break even whether or not I switch it out. That means I can...

Then he put on his helmet and I couldn't read him anymore (At least he didn't start thinking about hentai or something). Anyhow, from what I know, having a dead turn full of flinchers and the flinched is the most cautious option. I might lose the weather war in doing so but if he's uber-cautious it won't matter and I'll be at an advantage. He could even see BOTH members as being too valuable at the moment to lose and not try his luck.

Turn 1

---------------
---------------
100%
100%

100%
100%

-> Scizor was returned!
-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

-> Rotom-F took 5% damage!

-> Hitmontop used Fake Out!
-> Politoed took 14% damage!

-> Rotom-F flinched!

As I hoped and feared, both opponents were too valuable to him to withdraw. Getting Politoed in effectively did nothing, because 1) I didn't use a Water-type move anyway 2) the speed boost didn't matter since I targetted the nonFakeOut-er and so did he, and 3) now the Abomasnow that is undoubtedly in wait can come in and ACTUALLY do something with its weather. Hitmontop backing out of the fray is now definitely a viable option, since it will give Rotom 100% accurate Blizzards and renew Intimdate and Fake Out for the future. However, neither of the Pokemon on the enemy side are fast enough or are going to be fast enough to stop Ludicolo even if he can't abuse Swift Swim, so if I go with my typical Surf-Bulb combo he won't have to immediately switch out for fear of being KO'd prematurely. Surf might not do much, but it will at least dent the opposition (but hopefuly not Ludicolo too much).

I'm a little worried about Rotom-F to be honest, though. If he sees through my plans he might not want to take immediate advantage of hail's main boon, the Blizzard boost. I'm not sure whether or not he's running a Life Orb, or Choice Specs/Scarf (Either of which could be devastating), or something else altogether more sinister. LO or Specs could KO Politoed with Thunderbolt before Surf, and that would just plain suck. But I'm a little weak on the Lighning defensive, so I can't do much right now in that regard.

Turn 2

---------------
---------------
100%
95%

86%
100%

-> The opponent returned Hitmontop!
-> It started to hail!

-> Ludicolo used Hydro Pump!
-> Rotom-F took 75% damage!

-> Rotom-F used Volt Switch!
-> Politoed took 70% damage!
-> It's supereffective!

-> Rotom-F came back to the opponent!
-> Hitmontop was sent out!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Politoed's Attack!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Ludicolo's Attack!

-> Politoed used Surf!
-> The Water Gem strengthened the attack's power!
-> Ludicolo took 22% damage!
-> The Absorb Bulb raised Ludicolo's Sp. Atk!
-> Hitmontop took 38% damage!
-> Abombasnow took 27% damage!
-> It's not very effecive on Abomasnow...

-> Hitmontop was buffeted by hail!

Oh yeah, that move. That move that someone with a healthy brain cell count would have known the thunderfridge would use in tandem with the most switched-out Pokemon in Doubles. Well, the Intimidate part didn't help him at all, since the only physical move on my side of the field right now, Fake Out, can't even be used again yet. But I'm more worried about HIS Fake Out. If he sees Ludicolo as the candidate for flinching, he could stop him from unleashing a not-rain-boosted-but-still-pretty-beast Hydro Pump that would put Hitmontop in early retirement. Since rain can't be renewed this turn unless I carried Rain Dance on Ludicolo for some reason (Seriously, I couldn't even fit Protect in there) he's got a 100% accurate Blizzard to bust out, and since Fake Out probably only has one target in its scope, this next turn is basically scripted.

Turn 3

---------------
---------------
73%
56%

10%
72%

-> Go, Scizor!

-> Ludicolo took 12% damage!

-> Ludicolo flinched!

-> Abomasnow used Blizzard!
-> Scizor took 26% damage!
-> Ludicolo took 43% damage!
-> It's not very effective on Scizor...

-> Scizor was buffeted by hail!

Yep. Not much to say here. We're losing ground here, guys! Scizor's attack stage is level, so he can OHKO one of the two jerks in enemy territory with Acrobatics, but which one is going to be withdrawn? Hitmontop used his Fake Out and taking him back for an encore performance later is my normal expectation, but he also knows that I've got a weather-maker in the background, and that I too can withdraw my Fake Out user for future use. Politoed is not looking so good right now though, and if I failpredict then he might stay in with at least one of them and target him; after all, he knows that I can still renew Fake Out, so why not win the weather war once and for all? Well, that's what I'm thinking too, and that's why I set my sights on Abomasnow for some awkward mantis gymnastics.

Turn 4

---------------
---------------
73%
50%

74%
12%

-> Go, Politoed!
-> It started to rain!

-> Gyarados was sent out!
-> Gyarados' Intimidate lowered Scizor's Attack!
-> Gyarados' Intimidate lowered Politoed's Attack!

-> Hitmontop used Mach Punch!
-> The Fighting Gem boosted the attack's power!
-> Politoed took 10% damage!
-> Politoed fainted!

-> Scizor used Acrobatics!
-> The Flying Gem boosted the attack's power!
-> Gyarados took 49% damage!

-> Go, Ludicolo!

3-4

I should mention that I have a very short attention span, so two minutes after I see the foe's roster the members are already lost on me. So when Gyarados made his entrance I put on my wtf-face and promptly got to work thinking of what I could do. There was a good chance Ludicolo could have finished off Gyarados with +1 SpA Giga Drain, but he would have died to Mach Punch anyway beforehand, so that decision was for the best. It netted me me a shiny new Fake Out too! Here's one instance where Fake Out's residual damage may actually do something for me, besides breaking sashes: It might lower Gyarados to KO range for one of my other members, or even for an unboosted, -1 Atk Acrobatics or a regular Giga Drain. *Now* I don't think Hitmontop has any business staying in, and the sooner he gets hail back on his side the better for my opponent in the long run. Fake Out has its obvious candidate, then; Scizor, on the other hand, has one move that will work fantastically whether Hitmontop stays in or either of his two reserves come out of hiding. Yep, you guessed it:

Turn 5

---------------
---------------
51%
50%

74%
12%

-> Hitmontop was returned!
-> The opponent sent out Abomasnow!
-> It started to hail!

-> Gyarados took 12% damage!
-> A critical hit!

-> Scizor used Bullet Punch!
-> Abomasnow took 55% damage!
-> It's super effective!
-> Abomasnow restored some health with its Sitrus Berry!

-> Gyarados flinched!

-> Gyarados was buffeted by hail!

Plan worked, but the Sitrus healing was unwelcome. Seriously, Sitrus? Why not Focus Sash or Occa Berry? They would have been much more convenient to me ;.; My teammates are dying slowly to hail, but Gyarados is now definitely in KO range for either party member. I strongly suspect Abomasnow won't stay in, because he stands to quite possibly die from a bug infestation. This is my chance to do a safe-switch to Rotom-W and either take minimal damage from Gyarados' Waterfall if he targets the no-longer-present Scizor or get an immediate return to action if he goes for lotus duck.

Turn 6

---------------
---------------
33%
44%

68%
6%

-> Scizor was returned!
-> Go, Rotom-W!

-> Hitmontop was sent out!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Rotom-W's attack!
-> Hitmontop's Intimidate lowered Ludicolo's attack!

-> Gyarados used Waterfall!
-> Ludicolo took 6% damage!
-> Ludicolo fainted!

-> Rotom-W was buffeted by hail!

-> Go, Scizor!

2-4

Scizor snuck under the fence and avoided Intimidate while Ludicolo bit the cold, dead ground. At 2-4 it's looking grim. Nevertheless while I was watching myself get nothing done this turn I realized the narrow path I might successfully tread to net myself a win here. I don't see either of the foes switching at this point, so that means I definitely won't take more than one Intimidate in the future, and from what I remember of the enemies' HP levels they shouldn't be outside of KO range for a -1 Scizor; and that's if they actually do switch. One of my members is eating a Fake Out, best case scenario, but eitehr of them can KO either of the foes. From there it's just a little bit of luck.

Turn 7

---------------
---------------
27%
44%

94%
68%

-> Rotom-W took 8% damage!

-> Rotom-W flinched!

-> Gyarados used Waterfall!
-> Scizor took 40% damage

-> Scizor used Acrobatics!
-> Hitmontop took 44% damage!
-> Hitmontop fainted!

-> Rotom-W restored some health with its Leftovers!

-> Rotom-F was sent out!

2-3

What did your momma say, Hitmontop? You have to be careful with Scizors. Rotom-W is no worse for the wear after all that post-turn damage, and Scizor is looking a little tired, but we can't go home yet. He still has the ability to switch, which is invaluable when you have Intimidate on your side. Gyarados' health right now is low enough that Hydro Pump can KO, and since it's more accurate than Thunder right now it's probably the best bet. Gyarados has a better chance of doing something later than Rotom-F, who my opponent must know is running of borrowed time. Either way, Hydro Pump will hit the member occupying Gyarados' current slot as hard as or harder than Thunder, so it's my current logical bet.

Turn 8

---------------
---------------
21%
25%

86%
22%

-> The opponent returned Gyarados!

-> Rotom-F took 25% damage!
-> Rotom-F fainted!

-> Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!
-> Abomasnow avoided the attack!

-> Rotom-W restored some health with its Leftovers!

-> Gyarados was sent out!
-> Gyarados' Intimidate lowered Rotom-W's attack!
-> Gyarados' Intimidate lowered Scizor's attack!

2-2

We're halfway there, and we're living on hot pockets and ginseng. The Hydro Pump miss was less than welcome, but it shouldn't matter according to my hasty calculations. Rotom-W is as strong as ever, and is looking at two opponents slower than he is. A Bullet Punch plus a Hydro Pump would definitely KO Abomasnow, but I want to divide and conquer. I also want Gyarados to die to overkill, which is the only reason that could possibly justify the next move;

Turn 9

---------------
---------------
44%
21%

86%
14%

-> Gyarados used Protect!
-> It protected itself!

-> Abomasnow took 44% damage!
-> It's super effective!
-> Abomasnow fainted!

-> Rotom-W used Thunder!
-> Gyarados protected itself!

2-1

Bullet Punch just barely finishes off Abomasnow, and leaves me with the number advantage. I could Protect and let the hail deal with him but I'm growing paranoid about him disconnecting on me. I feel the super-cautious Protect strategy has lost me a lot of potential wins because of aggravated opponents who D/C. Anyway, are you ready for the climactic ending?

Turn 10

---------------------------
---------------------------
15%

86%
8%

-> (The opponent forfeited the match)

Leaves you breathless, doesn' t it?

Props:
-The opponent, for finishing the trinity of nonDC-ing opponents.
-Scizor and Rotom-W, for picking up the slack towards the end.
-Hitmontop, for letting this old salt see a war firsthand.

Slops:
-Me, for making some dumb mistakes (Thunder in Turn 9, for instance) whether or not they mattered in the long run.
-Politoed, for failing to not die. But that's definitely part me, too.

Both All three of your battles were pretty good, and your skills at predictions and mind-reading and such is impressive.
But I don't know if I'm slow or something but I'm not entirely sure which side is you in the third warstory. .__. If you could clarify for me...please...

Edit: @Below - It does thanks. ^_^ Rain team makes sense.

Those were my thoughts the entire battle EXCEPT one paragraph near the beginning that got de-italicized (All the colors for the little arrows were lost too). I'll work on it all soon.

If that doesn't answer your question, I was the party on the bottom half of the "Vs" line.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
he has the rain team in each warstory.

lol the epic ending for the third one was so awesome, i love you (no homo)

I like how you seem to be losing the battles, but then, with your last two pokes strike back (I'm 0% experienced in VGC, so that might be common, idk, lol).

These were 3 of the best warstories I've read, and a definite Luvdisc

(Oh, if it wasn't clear yet, if I had to go through the entire rating process, i'd probably end up with 10/10's for every one of them)

Each of those warstories on their own were great, but together they were fantastic. Great formatting, unusual battle-style (you don't see a whole lot of doubles-warstories) and wonderful battles. Luvdisc-time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)