The Inverse Battle ǝɯɐƃɐʇǝɯ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
According to the November stats thread, Avalugg broke 30% usage. That's insane in any meta.
And yet, banning him is probably a terrible idea, since it would make physical normal types unstoppable.
This is probably the only time an overcentralizing Pokemon will ever be considered healthy for the meta.

Also, there is no reason Yveltal should be legal. It has only one counter according to those stats, and that's Mewtwo. And Mewtwo's been banned, so Yvetal has apparently no reliable counters (and furthermore, a 67% counter rate isn't all that reliable in the first place).

Last edited:
According to the November stats thread, Avalugg broke 30% usage. That's insane in any meta.
And yet, banning him is probably a terrible idea, since it would make physical normal types unstoppable.
This is probably the only time an overcentralizing Pokemon will ever be considered healthy for the meta.

Also, there is no reason Yveltal should be legal. It has only one counter according to those stats, and that's Mewtwo. And Mewtwo's been banned, so Yvetal has apparently no reliable counters (and furthermore, a 67% counter rate isn't all that reliable in the first place).
There are 2 counters I made that are extremely reliable against the special attacking Yveltal set, and those 2 are Regenerator Assault Vest Slowking and Reuniclus, they counter the most common sets almost all the time with ease. That said, Yveltal is an extremely powerful force in this meta and is not so different from the regular Yveltal, the same applies to Mega Gengar, it does the exact same thing it does in OU except this meta is even kinder to it because of how common stall is.

After peaking the ladder with it, I'm going to have to agree with the bandwagon that say Mega Gengar is broken in inverse. Mega Gengar is just another one of those Pokemon that gets even better in inverse, ghost and poison both being fantastic STABs that allow it to kill almost anything weak to them by simply switching in. Gengar can also remove the meta's only stop to normal types, Avalugg, simply by double switching into it (Or U-Turn support which doesn't even require prediction at all.) It's forced a ton of people to forfeit leftovers on Avalugg for a shed shell, and even then it can still revenge almost any problematic normal type that poses a threat. It also gets some great support moves such as Perish Song, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, ect.

Here's the set I've been using:

Spook (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 Spd / 194 SAtk / 64 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
- Perish Song
- Shadow Ball

Pain Split and Perish Song easily allow you to dispose of a certain fat pink blob, while the STABs still give you enough coverage to still eliminate a ton of stuff. 64 HP EVs allow you to live an Adamant unboosted Diggersby quick attack after 1 layer of spikes / rocks. I cannot tell you how many games this has won me because I was easily able to dispose a key part of the opponent's team and it then proceeded to crumble to dust.

If I may quote the OU council's consensus on Mega Gengar, which I believe also easily applies here:

Though we aren't directly using the 4th generation suspect characteristics anymore, they still provide a reliable framework to assess the situation. Consider the Support Characteristic:
Support Characteristic
A Pokemon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other Pokemon to sweep.

Mega Gengar is the perfect example of this. It is not broken solely because of its offensive stats. It is broken because the combination of Shadow Tag, its great defensive typing, its great offensive stats, and its huge movepool allows you to, with almost absolute certainty, remove one or multiple checks to your team with Mega Gengar. We feel that this near 100% probability against all Pokemon (except Ghost-types) is uncompetitive, as Pokemon battles are (and for the most part, should be) a 2-way street in terms of decisions; this Pokemon makes the battle a 1-way street against nearly all Pokemon.

Last edited:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Toxic / Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why should I ever consider using Tangrowth when Avalugg has much better bulk and fewer weaknesses?
The reason I prefer Tangrowth to Avalugg it's because Avalugg is a momentum killer. Sure, it takes physical hits like no other, but every time my opponent brings it in, I think to myself "Ok, a free switch for me." Half of the time you can predict when it's going to Recover, and even when you can't, the scariest thing it can do to your switch-in is using Toxic.
Tangrowth, on the other hand, doesn't just sit there. It has a plethora of moves to punish your opponent's switches. Knock Off is a fantastic move that will seriously cripple many Pokémon. Leech Seed will make much easier for your next Pokémon to switch in. And one of my favorite parts is that Tangrowth doesn't have to waste time recovering. Regenerator means that you recover simply by switching out, and when you stay in you can recover and attack the opponent at the same time with Giga Drain (which is SE against a large portion of the meta).
The last move depends on what your team needs. Giga Drain + Sludge Bomb has next to perfect coverage, but it leaves you completely helpless against Gogoat (except for Knocking Off its item). Toxic, on the other hand, gives you yet more options for punishing switch-ins. I'm not crazy about Sleep Powder, especially because that means you'll be constantly afraid to use 3 out of 4 moves while Gogoat is around, but its general usefulness can't be denied.
Another reason I love Tangrowth so much it's because, unlike Avalugg, it doesn't rely on Roar to defeat Snorlax (leaving you helpless in a last Pokémon scenario). Knock Off will severely cripple Snorlax, and the threat of Leech Seed keeps the big fatso in line.
While Avalugg can be easily slapped on any team with little thought, Tangrowth needs valid teammates to work. But when it does have them, Tangrowth performs much better than Avalugg in my opinion.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Regenerator
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Knock Off / Energy Ball
- Trick Room

I'm really starting to think that Psychic, after Normal, is the most improved type in Inverse Battle. Grass is godly, but because of Sap Sipper any two-attacks set is doomed to be walled by something (unless you use Grass + Normal, but that's because Normal has perfect coverage by itself). Bug is good, but unlike Grass it's resisted by three very common types. Poison is good offensively, but meh defensively.
On the other hand, Psychic is resisted by only two types, has perfect coverage with two moves, has three very useful resistances, and it's only weak to itself and to a poor defensive type. Sounds familiar? I would dare to say that Psychics are the Dragons of Inverse Battle. Except they can also hit both sides of the spectrum without investing in Attack.
Back to Reuniclus, Psychic + Bug has perfect coverage. The choice between Life Orb/Magic Guard vs. Leftovers/Regenerator is basically power vs. survavility. LO/MG Reuniclus hits much harder but has no means of recovery, meaning you have to make the most of it when you switch it in. Regenerator Reuniclus, on the other hand, still hits hard enough, but it has more occasions to start a sweep because it has no problem switching in and out. It's particularly good in a team full of slow Pokémon that can benefit from Trick Room.
Chansey and Snorlax can wall this particular Reuniclus, but definitely won't enjoy having their precious items Knocked Off (especially Chansey). Despite having perfect coverage with two moves, Knock Off Reuniclus will have troubles with Grass/Poison Pokémon, and with physically bulky Grass-types in general. If that's an issue, Energy Ball is the move you need.

Last edited:

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The reason I prefer Tangrowth to Avalugg it's because Avalugg is a momentum killer.
Avalugg can ensure plenty of momentum. It's attack is higher than Tangrowth's Special Attack, and if I'm not mistaken, nothing besides Rock-Ground types (which get demolished by Return), Tyrantrum (also doesn't appreciate Return), Draglage, and Stunfisk (lol) resists Ice-Ground coverage. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if people start running a fully offensive Avalugg with Avalanche, EQ, Return and Recover.

That being said, Tangrowth seems pretty good. It doesn't have nearly as much physical bulk as Avalugg, and arguably a worse defensive typing, but Grass STAB, Knock Off and Regenerator are very nice. Could work, although I'd stick with Avalugg.

Not sure if Toxic is a good idea in this hyper-offensive metagame, though...

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have banned Yveltal. Please, keep discussing about Avalugg - you're right in that it's both overcentralising and healthy for the meta. What threats does it stop that could be stopped in another manner?

Albacore

Please, keep discussing about Avalugg - you're right in that it's both overcentralising and healthy for the meta. What threats does it stop that could be stopped in another manner?
I honestly don't think anything comes remotely close to doing what Avalugg does best (walling physically offensive Normal types) as well as it does. Unless Snorlax starts running Ice Beam, nothing can really compete with Avalugg in any way. I can't think of a single physical wall which outclasses Avalugg in inverse, unless you want to deal with a very specific kind of threat.

Edit : I mentioned Ice Beam as a sort of joke, but now that I think about it, it's really viable on a lot of physically offensive normal-types. Avalugg should probably watch out for that, then.
I guess Tangrowth can sometimes be better than Avalugg after all...

Double edit:

252+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 76-90 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
0 SpA Snorlax Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 170-200 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Yup, that's viable alright... Give it about 60 SpA EVs and Avalugg can no longer recover stall it.

60 SpA Snorlax Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

What about specially defensive Avalugg?

252+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 96-114 (24.3 - 28.9%) -- 99.3% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Snorlax Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 102-122 (25.8 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

So Ice Beam is better than Return on Avalugg no matter what. Interesting...
Another calc:

60 SpA Snorlax Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 112-134 (28.4 - 34%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO

60 SpA EVS sems like the way to go then.

Just for the lulz:

180 SpA Snorlax Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 130-154 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

So you need 184 SpA EVS to insure the 3HKO on Avalugg. Not relevant, but a neat observation nonetheless.

I'd watch out for Assault Vest, though... (although Assaulters can't use Recover)

Edit 3:

After many calcs, I have come up with this set:

MixLax
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs : 218 Atk / 172 Def / 118 SpA
IVs : 0 Spe
Nature : Brave
-Return
-Ice Beam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the only meta where Mixed Snorlax is actually viable!

I've ran all the calcs, and it turns out Mixlax beats all variants of Avalugg besides the specially defensive one. In fact, it's pretty hilarious how much every Avalugg without SpD investement always falls short of beating it:
  • If Avalugg has max defense, it barely misses out on the 2HKO on Snorlax while it 2HKOs it.
  • If Avalugg is offensive but slower, Avalanche 2HKOs, but so does Snorlax's Ice Beam
  • If Avalugg is offensive but faster, Avalanche's power gets cut in half and Avalugg has to rely on Return for the possible (but unlikely) 3HKO
  • If Avalugg is banded and brave (worst case scenario for physically defensive Avalugg), Avalanche just misses out on the OHKO while Snorlax outspeeds and 2HKOs
And that's in 1V1. Avalugg will most likely be switching in on Snorlax.

It's all just perfect. You can use Snorlax to bait out Avalugg and once you've got it out of the way, Tauros or Bouffalant or something else can finish the job.

This works paticularly well in TR teams (although you want to give Snorlax 31 Speed EVs in that case to "outspeed" Avalugg)

Shame my miracle spread is completely dismantled by Sassy Max SpD Avalugg...

Last edited:
Avalugg can ensure plenty of momentum. It's attack is higher than Tangrowth's Special Attack, and if I'm not mistaken, nothing besides Rock-Ground types (which get demolished by Return), Tyrantrum (also doesn't appreciate Return), Draglage, and Stunfisk (lol) resists Ice-Ground coverage. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if people start running a fully offensive Avalugg with Avalanche, EQ, Return and Recover.
Maybe a fully offensive Avalugg can ensure momentum. I've simply never seen anyone using one so far. I reckon it could perform better than defensive Avalugg.
I wouldn't give up Roar for Return though. You lose the ability to stop Curselax. Snorlax doesn't need Ice Beam to beat Avalugg if the latter lacks Roar.

Also, for reference:
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 54-64 (26.08 - 30.91%) -- possible 4HKO after Leftovers.
And that's not even accounting for Giga Drain recovery. If it's not STAB, Tangrowth doesn't generally care much about Earthquake.

Not sure if Toxic is a good idea in this hyper-offensive metagame, though...
Like I said, Toxic is there mainly because of Gogoat. Gogoat can switch into Tangrowth, force it out and gain a free Bulk Up in the process. And since it also learns Milk Drink, that's dangerous. If you Toxic it though, it's manageable. If you can check Gogoat, though, Sludge Bomb is probably more useful.
So far I've not found Inverse Battle to be so hyper-offensive. Maybe it's just because players haven't wrapped their heads around this metagame yet, and maybe this will change with the new post-Pokébank threats. Actually, the reason I've found Toxic to be not so good as of now is because 75% of the teams I face have a cleric. I'm not kidding. Usually Chansey, sometimes Blissey or Articuno.

Last edited:

Albacore

252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 54-64 (26.08 - 30.91%) -- possible 4HKO after Leftovers.
And that's not even accounting Giga Drain recovery. If it's not STAB, Tangrowth doesn't generally care much about Earthquake.
Obviously, Avalugg has no reason to stay in on Tangrowth. I'm just comparing their ability to wall. If my novelty MixLax takes off (which I hope it does; I've always wanted to say MixLax without getting laughed at), then Tangrowth is definitely an alternative. At the moment, though, it doesn't really have that much of a niche.

Last edited:
Actually, Tangrowth is already better than Avalugg when facing Snorlax. It's its main selling point.
The only thing Avalugg can do against Snorlax is Roar. Tangrowth, on the other hand, can Knock Off its Leftovers, meaning the opponent will have to choose between having a crippled Snorlax for the rest of the match, or having something else lose their item (while still switching Snorlax out). Also, Avalugg loses to Snorlax if Snorlax is the last Pokémon in its party (or if something Baton Pass it an Ingrain). (You could use a Curse Avalugg yourself, but I don't think it's such a good idea since it lacks the special bulk.)

EDIT: I like your Ambipom, Rayquaza_ Is there anything new that can 2HKO an Avalugg holding a Flame Orb? Trying to Switcheroo a Choice item would probably be more risky but more rewarding in this department.

Last edited:

Albacore

Actually, Tangrowth is already better than Avalugg when facing Snorlax. It's its main selling point.
I'm not completely convinced that's true. Sure, Leech Seed really hurts Snorlax, but if it's the RestTalk variant, Tangrowth does so little damage with Giga Drain that Snorlax can easily stall it out before getting to +6

0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 82-97 (15.6 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
+6 252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Tangrowth: 366-432 (90.5 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

I guess it all boils down to the Sleep Talk rolls...

Well, I was talking about Snorlax being the last Pokémon of its party. Not Avalugg/Tangrowth.
The plan goes like this:
By the way, beating it with Knock Off + Leech Seed has worked fine for me so far. Basically, everytime the opponent thinks (s)he can set up his/her Snorlax on my Tangrowth's face, I just remove its Leftovers with Knock Off, Leech Seed it, and then after it's forced to Rest I send my own Snorlax to set up.
Snorlax with Leftovers vs sleeping Leech Seeded Snorlax without Leftovers? The first normally wins, even if the second has some Curses under its belt (you quickly catch up, since you're faster).

Albacore

Well, I was talking about Snorlax being the last Pokémon of its party. Not Avalugg/Tangrowth.
Ah, I see. I thought you were talking strictly on a 1v1 basis. Now that you put it that way, I can see why you prefer Tangrowth : Avalugg can't set up another Pokemon for a sweep.
I'm kinda suprised that so many good Pokemon are really slow. Probably why the meta hasn't turned into a brutal offensive mess.

I'm kinda suprised that so many good Pokemon are really slow. Probably why the meta hasn't turned into a brutal offensive mess.
Yeah, I agree with you, and I think many other players do as well because I haven't faced a lot of Pokémon with heavy Speed investment.

By the way, I think the main question about Avalugg is this: is there anything else that can wall Diggersby? Normal STAB + Ground STAB + Huge Power is pretty insane and the only reason this rabbit hasn't taken over the metagame is because of Avalugg.

Albacore

Is there anything else that can wall Diggersby?
Not according to the usage stats. Although Rayquaza_'s Aibipom seems decent. Might be reason enough to give it a Flame Orb after all.

I've checked, and there's really nothing good. Sableye gets OHKO'd even after a Will-O-Wisp, and all other Will-O-Wisping ghosts are out of the question. The closest I got besides Avalugg is Rotom-W. As I said, the iceberg is really healthy for the meta.

Edit : Yeah, Furfrou is the best we've got. Will-O-Wisp isn't very good for countering Diggersby, simply because all users besides Rotom are either weak to Normal or too slow for it to matter.

I can safely predict that most teams will have a powerful Normal Type, Avalugg, a counter to Avalugg, and 3 counters to common Avalugg counters. Again, this isn't necesarrily a bad thing : unlike Kangaskhan, Avalugg has many counters. I think it'll all boil down to how creatively one can counter Avalugg.
This is very much an Avalugg-centric metagame.

Also, can this set work?

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature : Adamant
-Last Resort
-Curse

This is kinda hilarious. Once you've taken out the opposing Avalugg, send this in and have a field day.

Last edited:
I guess that Snorlax could give you a win against players that expect to stop you with Taunt.
However, I think it's mostly novelty. Curselax is already devastating as it is and by renouncing SleepTalk and a more defensive EV spread you are effectively giving up an excellent wall in exchance for a Pokémon that is still stopped by the same Pokémon and it's still unstoppable against the same Pokémon.
(Also, Last Resort Snorlax can be 2HKOed almost 2HKOed by Foul Play, which is a common strategy I've seen for dealing with Curselax.)

EDIT: Also, LR Snorlax doesn't last much. It can't recover and Last Resort has only 8 PP. While with Curselax you can potentially sweep entire teams once they have lost their checks against it.

Last edited:

Albacore

It should be noted that even though Avalugg and Regice share the same ice weakness, it's unlikely that both of them will be beaten by the same pokemon since one has insane physical bulk and the other has insane special bulk so they can be used in the same team without issues.
It's kind of amazing how dominant some types are in this meta. Normal, Grass and Ice are petty much the only relevant types.
Monotype teams are much easier to make in inverse than in standard...

There are two post-Pokébank Pokémon I'm really curious about, besides Regice.
- Meloetta. Like I said, I think Normal and Psychic are two of the best types of this metagame. She has both. And she can hit on the special side with an unresisted Normal STAB and on the physical side with Psyshock. And if you really find a wall you can't defeat... well, she also learns Perish Song. The lack of a recovery move is really the only issue here.
- The Porygon family. Eviolite Porygon 2 could be an interesting wall and Porygon-Z is a powerful special Normal attacker that can permanently cripple any special wall with Trick.

Albacore

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about Porygon2. I used it in standard UU and it's bulky as all hell. It should be amazing in Inverse.
I honestly have no idea what Porygon2 should carry besides Tri-Attack, Recover and Nasty Plot. Shadow Ball for Blissey, maybe?

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about Porygon2. I used it in standard UU and it's bulky as all hell. It should be amazing in Inverse.
I honestly have no idea what Porygon2 should carry besides Tri-Attack, Recover and Nasty Plot. Shadow Ball for Blissey, maybe?
Lots of possibilities... Shadow Ball is a good option with all the normal types, however it could try Toxic/Thunder Wave to cripple something it can't break past. Trick Room could even be an option to set up itself or a teammate for a sweep, since it's probably going to be running max HP/SpA anyway.

Albacore

I think we should try to figure out what the best counters to Avalugg are, and what counters those counters. Obviously, anything running special attacks can hurt it, but which special attackers are viable in inverse? Blissey takes care of most of them, but is there anything that dismantles BlissLugg? Psyshock users? does anything get access to Ice Beam and Shadow Claw? What's the best way to break down the most common defensive core in Inverse?

Last edited:

Albacore

What about Jynx? She has only 2 weaknesses, Dry Skin, STAB Ice Beam for Avalugg, STAB Psyshock for the pink blobs, Energy Ball for coverage, Lovely Kiss, Trick and Nasty Plot.
She's still really frail though and that's a problem with Quick Attack being so common.
252 SpA Jynx Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 219-258 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 48.8% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Jynx Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 435-513 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Jynx needs to get at +2 to 2HKO Blissey, but then again, Blissey can't do much in return.

Jynx could be pretty good in this meta, especially since Dry Skin is annulled by Fire resistance

Unfortunately, I don't see Water-type attacks being too common, and Ice and Psychic will be pretty common attacking types on the special side, as for the physical side...

252+ Atk Blissey Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 135-160 (49.8 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Yeah...

Edit : Nidoking. Nidoking can learn Shadow Claw and Ice Beam and therefore completely destroy BlissLugg. Nidoking also resists Psychic and Ice. Wow, this thing can be really good.

252+ Atk Nidoking Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 258-304 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Or maybe not. Dear god, Blissey is bulky... I highly doubt it can be 2HKO'd without boosts...
If it had phazing, it would be banned in an instant...

Last edited:
Life Orb Psyshock from Reuniclus can 2HKO her without setting up. But anyway, Blissey unlike Avalugg can't really do much against set up Pokémon, so I don't think that's much of an issue.

As for Avalugg, so far I've found only two physical attackers that can claim to 2HKO the iceberg without any weird shenanigans.
Mamoswine can 2HKO Avalugg with Ice STAB if it has an attack boosting item like Life Orb or Choice Band. Considering Ice/Ground is an awesome typing both offensively and defensively, I'm surprised I haven't seen more Mamoswine around.
Ursaring can 2HKO Avalugg with Guts boosted Facades. But it's slow and not very durable, so I'm not surprised it's not very popular.

Smeargle can defeat Avalugg and I'm very surprised I haven't seen anyone try this route. Just Baton Pass an Ingrain to a bulky set up sweeper and you'll be surprised by how much useless Avalugg becomes when it can't use Roar.
Taunt can also work. Taunt Avalugg so you can't be phazed and grab a Swords Dance in the following turn.

Then there's Trick. If there's one thing that really surprised me about Inverse Battle is how much moves that affect items are useful here. I think Trick is the best way to go for physically based teams, because Avalugg doesn't really need its item to wall, so you need to pass it a hindering item. For specially based teams, on the other hand, (which is what I've primarily run so far) Knock Off is amazing, because once you've removed Eviolite from Chansey, those annoying Assault Vests that are surprisingly common, and some random Leftovers, you're usually ready to sweep. That'll probably change when Regice is released though.

Mega Gengar and Gothitelle can trap and kill Avalugg, but Shed Shell is a surprisingly common item for Avalugg, because it doesn't really need Leftovers to do its job.

Albacore

Besides Blissey, is there anything that can deal with Specsploud? It can wreck the entire meta besides the blobs with only two moves, obvious Boomburst and Focus Blast for Mr Mime. (I find it funny how the official stats list "Nothing" as a common move on Exploud)

Also, and I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but Ditto is substantially better in this meta, since most types hit themselves super-effectively, and therefore, many Pokemon carry a move that's super-effective against their own type.

Ursaring can 2HKO Avalugg with Guts boosted Facades. But it's slow and not very durable, so I'm not surprised it's not very popular.
So can Zangoose :

252+ Atk Guts Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 160-189 (48.3 - 57%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO
But :
0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zangoose: 223-264 (77.7 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

Ursaring hits harder and takes an Avalanche better, though. They're checks, but definitely not counters

Last edited:
Besides Blissey, is there anything that can deal with Specsploud?
Abomasnow is the first thing I think of when I think of an Exploud counter.
I know it sounds ridiculous at first, but there's really no reason for Absomasnow not to use Soundproof over Snow Warning in this meta.
If you see in the team preview that your opponent has Exploud (or Meloetta in the near future), then your Soundproof Abomasnow is going to be quite useful. If you don't see any, you can just Mega Evolve et voilà, you have Snow Warning.

Ditto with Imposter (and in the near future Porygon with Trace) can switch into Exploud, copy Soundproof, and become immune to Boomburst. In fact, you could probably make a case about non-Soundproof Exploud just to avoid this scenario.

But yeah, there's not much that can claim to wall this thing. Even 252/0 Regice can be 2HKO. The best way to deal with it is usually just attack.

Also, and I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but Ditto is substantially better in this meta, since most types hit themselves super-effectively, and therefore, many Pokemon carry a move that's super-effective against their own type.
While Ditto is undoubtedly a good Pokémon, I'm not sure it's better than in standard. Revenge killing isn't as useful in Inverse, because while it's true that most Pokémon are weak to their own STAB, most teams have something that can wall a mono-attacking Pokémon.

Reactions: EV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)