The Manga Thread

Where to start. I don't feel like typing, I despise what's popular right now because it's nothing new or revolutionary.

My favourite manga is Fullmetal Alchemist (for obvious reasons). Second favourite is Trigun (it's Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action and it's awesome how it presents such). Third is Jing: King of Bandits for the art and meaning behind it. Fourth is Astro Boy (I love the classics).

Where to start. I don't feel like typing, I despise what's popular right now because it's nothing new or revolutionary.
But, things get popular for a reason and that reason is generally that people really, really hate it, or love it. Just because it's not revolutionary doesn't mean it's not good. There have been plenty of (for reference, I'll say) games that didn't reinvent the wheel, and have been successful and genuinely liked. So just because it isn't "poppin fresh" (yeah, I know no one says that" doesn't been it can't be good. I will say though that some of the popular mangas have been going downhill. I still enjoy them though.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

My favourite manga is Fullmetal Alchemist (for obvious reasons). Second favourite is Trigun (it's Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action and it's awesome how it presents such). Third is Jing: King of Bandits for the art and meaning behind it. Fourth is Astro Boy (I love the classics).
what

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I should learn some English. I meant to say that I hate over-hyped manga like Naruto, Bleach and the like.
All relative. Not to mention One Piece is a consistently great series with great characters and some of the only Japanese humour I don't cringe at. Aside from the Big 3, FullMetal Alchemist is probably the most popular manga series out there so all you really seemed to have meant is "I hate Naruto, Bleach, [and maybe One Piece]".

All relative. Not to mention One Piece is a consistently great series with great characters and some of the only Japanese humour I don't cringe at. Aside from the Big 3, FullMetal Alchemist is probably the most popular manga series out there so all you really seemed to have meant is "I hate Naruto, Bleach, [and maybe One Piece]".
And One Piece, and Fairy Tail...this isn't a hate thread so I'll stop. But you get the point, I find most shonen to be dry and that their humour, stories and characters get really repetitive. There is also little you can learn from. The fights are also almost carbon copies of Dragon Ball's (this includes Z) fights.

You can learn a lot of deep words from Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun. Sure, they do have some bits and pieces that are normal for a typical shonen but it's the other things that separate them from the rest. The humour's original, the plots are strong and it makes you want to know what's going to happen next, you love to hate the villains and there's the outstanding and unique artwork. Both these manga also made me cry (I know, I'm an otaku and a wimp).

Techinically though, I think you aren't really supposed to learn a lot from manga. Some have ideals and stuff that you might be inspired by, but not many are really supposed to teach you something. But if you don't like most shounen, does that mean you tend to like shoujo more? Those usually have more of the funny, plot-strong things that you seem to liked. Maybe that's just me though. I read shounen for cool fight scenes, and shoujo for good plot or hilariously face-palming situations.

But if you don't like most shounen, does that mean you tend to like shoujo more?
Manga isn't just shonen and shojo. Those target the teenage demographics, while things like seinen and uh, josei (is that it?) are for young adults, but often feature more "mature themes." Neither FMA or Trigun fall under either of those categories, and I can't think of any more popular ones that most people will recognize that fall under seinen or josei (maybe No Bra?) that majority of people recognize.

I would consider Cowboy Bebop a seinen show, for example, but that was a anime first, right?

Well, I see we all agree on the shakiness of Naruto. Anyway...

Another manga I've been reading lately is

Beet The Vandel Buster. The premise of it is that the world has been taken over by monsters called Vandels and only people called Vandel Busters can fight them. It's a great manga. The characters are okay; some are great, and some are stupid. The fights really save the series; they're right up there with the best of them. Some really awesome teamwork, and the 'saiga', weapons generated from the weilder's soul, factor in in some really cool ways. The only bad thing about the series is that the author got sick after Volume 12. Shame, I was really looking forward to the fight between
Baron and Kissu

It's still more than worth a read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)