The name thread (where you do not necessarily have to give your name)

I don't like my name. It's fucking dong. It's not your average English name and it's pretty hard to spell. Even my dad, who was the one that gave me my name, said it sounded unprofessional and I should consider changing it one day. Thanks a lot dad. At least he fucking admits it lol.

I often feel embarrassed when people ask for my name but it is what it is. There's this meme at my school where people would purposelessly mispronounce my name, kinda like Butch from the pokemon anime lmao. Yeah my name is unique but I would much rather have a "normal" name.

Last edited:

FlareQuake

Banned deucer.
I won't really give out my first name, as it's fairly common, and if I did, I wouldn't be able to give out my last, which is what I really want to elaborate on. Plus, unlike most other people in the world, I'm pretty certain that I'm the only person in this world with this combination of first and last name, so anyone could track my linked in / Facebook with a simple search. In fact, I had to block myself from showing up on Facebook searches as I was the only one who showed up if people searched, "X Lackner," lmao. In any case, I digress, my last name is Lackner. Yeah, it's really uncommon, I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread has even heard of this last name, let alone met someone with it, unless we've somehow met lolol, then in which case, hello! I can't really find much information regarding the name, except that it has strong traces to Germany and Austria, which would make sense, as both my parents are from Germany. Other then that, I can't really find much regarding its meaning or anything.

All that being said, Lackner is a pretty kickass name, definitely doesn't hurt in the pick up department.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My name is really uncommon and i really like it, but it really annoys me when my teachers mispronounce it (which they do a lot). I'm just gonna shorten it to Mannat Singh and say that my name technically means like "a wish that has been granted" since my parents really wanted to have 3 children with at least one boy and I think it's pretty dope.

i've always liked quintin as a name because it's pretty uncommon and memorable. my dad was always a huge tarantino fan, but my mom didn't enjoy how the vowels weren't homogeneous (quentin v quintin) so she took the liberty to yolo with the double i. the only real qualms i have w. my name is that no one can ever spell it properly, but it's wutevz. it's not really as big of an issue nowadays compared grade school when i had teachers give me name tags and such.

My name is rather unique. I really like it, because a lot of people I know now associate it with one feeling or another, which is really cool to me, knowing that people associate me with an emotion.

"Mova" actually comes from a part of my surname. However, my actual given name doesn't seem to be very common outside of the Middle East.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
My real name is Ryan with absolutely no back story, but my parents also had another name picked out in case I was a female which would end up being Aurora which is such a pretty name and one that I would plan on using for a child in the future.

But going on I really think some of the best names are the two syllable ones that end with n. Names like Evan and Tristian always sound very nice and are easy to pronounce which is a huge deal when it comes to someone actually liking there name.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
My name is Cam, and no it's not short for Camcorder or Camera.

Pleased to meet you.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this to ask people about pet names and nicknames. Right through my life I've gone by my full forename aside from when in private with my family, who sometimes refer to me as Marty. This isn't something that has ever really been disputed or asked about; people don't really have a tendency to shorten Martin over here in the UK, and I'm fine with this. However, recently I was chatting with an American who transferred into my school for the second year of A-levels. Anyway, I said no because having people other than my Mum and Dad (or maybe significant other in the future, although even then I'm not sure how I'd feel about that) call me Marty would make me feel really uncomfortable, but I'm not sure whether it is commonplace in the US to shorten Martin to Marty in a non-family scenario or whether I should take offense or whether I should be happy that he was comfortable enough around me to consider a nickname or what I should feel at someone who isn't a family member trying to call me by my pet name. Has anyone else been in a situation like this or am I just reacting really weirdly?

Bumping this to ask people about pet names and nicknames. Right through my life I've gone by my full forename aside from when in private with my family, who sometimes refer to me as Marty. This isn't something that has ever really been disputed or asked about; people don't really have a tendency to shorten Martin over here in the UK, and I'm fine with this. However, recently I was chatting with an American who transferred into my school for the second year of A-levels. Anyway, I said no because having people other than my Mum and Dad (or maybe significant other in the future, although even then I'm not sure how I'd feel about that) call me Marty would make me feel really uncomfortable, but I'm not sure whether it is commonplace in the US to shorten Martin to Marty in a non-family scenario or whether I should take offense or whether I should be happy that he was comfortable enough around me to consider a nickname or what I should feel at someone who isn't a family member trying to call me by my pet name. Has anyone else been in a situation like this or am I just reacting really weirdly?
Personally speaking, if I respect a person, I don't use a nickname for them unless it's very clear that they want me to use the nickname. (And not like the default respect that any random bystander gets, but the "he's good people" kind of respect.) Some people will use their nicknames exclusively with people who are close, others use them with people who aren't really close at all (that's me! Not one of my friends calls me by my "highschool" nickname, despite the vast majority of people I know, even tangentally, knowing me by it). I have to resist the urge to call my manager "Lis-", which I've picked up from the Simpsons; I like it, and it's easy to say, but I've never ever ever heard her make reference to it and I'm not gonna take the risk when her own name doesn't cause anybody any issues. It's probably not a big deal, for the vast majority of people anyway, but *personally* I think that my respect for particular people can extend as far as letting them decide how I greet them (shocking!).

My name is George, george derives from the Greek word georgos (Γεωργος) that means farmer, naming someone george back in the feudal seems kinda weird to me, i mean 90% of people where farmers anyway, ironically George nowadays seems to hold some prestige and its a very common royal name.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't like my name. It's fucking dong. It's not your average English name and it's pretty hard to spell. Even my dad, who was the one that gave me my name, said it sounded unprofessional and I should consider changing it one day. Thanks a lot dad. At least he fucking admits it lol.

I often feel embarrassed when people ask for my name but it is what it is. There's this meme at my school where people would purposelessly mispronounce my name, kinda like Butch from the pokemon anime lmao. Yeah my name is unique but I would much rather have a "normal" name.
I never liked my name in school. used to be embarrassed that it was a bit different, and Rowan could be a name for both sexes so thought of it as kinda feminine.
but now i like it, it's nice to have a name a bit different, and once you leave high school being different becomes a good thing rather than a bad thing in my experience :)

My name is Chance, short for Chance and long for Chance.

I liked it the most when I was in elementary school and all my classmates would joke about my name with 'Take a chance on me' or 'Chance, would you give me a chance?', stuff like that(though it was really embarrassing when the teachers did it). I don't go out in public and say my name for others to repeat, except for my doctors, which have it memorized by now, but for most of my life, people not too familiar with me or even some classmates would accidentally call me Chase, since that is the more common name and very similar.
But I would say right now that I don't really care about my name, since it only comes up when I fill out a form, talk to my family, or go to doctor's appointments and stuff.

I have a friend from high school named Martin but he introduces himself as Marty and that's what literally everyone calls him. His dad was also named Martin though and I'm pretty sure that's what he went by, so his family has probably has been calling him Marty since he was a kid. I wouldn't take any offense from it, Martin isn't a very common name in the US and while neither is Marty it at least has Marty McFly reppin it, so it's more memorable here.

My name is Travis and I think it's a pretty good name. It's from France and it means "to cross over", though my ancestor's were Scottish/Northern English. My parents just picked it cause they liked it. It's easy to pronounce and decently rare, which is nice. My close friends often call me Travie, which I don't mind, but no one who doesn't know me well has ever called me that, and neither does my family.

My name is Nikolai, and i'm surprised at the amount of people that have no problem spelling and reading it. My last name however is both of my parents last names together, and no-one can spell it. Life is hard man. Though to basically anyone who knows me, my name is Godard. My teachers, friends, and family all call me Godard. I'm not sure where it started, but mum came up with Godard as a nickname for my 10 yr old basketball jersey cos I am a bit of a perfectionist. I googled Godard and it came up with some director which kind of made sense. I like it

Last edited:
My name is Marx,
I mean I think it's a pretty cool to have, I certainly haven't met anyone with my name either and it's always a pretty cool conversation starter. But none of my fam really call me by my first name, they usually call me Anthony which is my middle.
nO i'm not a commie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)