The Next Best Thing, LC Edition

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
AnybodyAgrees

NP Gunk is good, but I wouldn't say it is exactly innovative at all.

Poison Touch is great as long as you don't switch into water moves. Until Touch is revealed, no-one is gonna attack you with Water moves anyway.

subpunch is also cool, since gunk can force a few switches, that would be my second vote

prio gunk is nice in theory but i'm wondering if it actually works - and why would you run bullet punch anyway?

prio gunk is nice in theory but i'm wondering if it actually works - and why would you run bullet punch anyway?
Mostly just to complete the quadfecta of manly priority. I've ran the set with sludge bomb > bullet punch and it hits quite hard, and the set still maintains its epic revenge killing potential.

boo836

I COULD BE BANNED!
Levi gets my vote.

It's a tossup between them and Zeri, tbh. Not really a fan of substitute in LC because of the difficulty in setting up, but quad prio gunk is a little excessive

I'm voting for The Avalanche as that's pretty much the set I run [only with dark pulse over shadow ball]

Well this vote was much closer than the previous two; the winner is Corporal Levi, who edged out zeriloa by one vote. Congratulations!

I'd also like to take this time to make a reminder that this thread is not about the greatest gimmick but about an underused threat that is still viable on a pokemon. For instance, zeriloa has stated that his set is still very effective but with Sludge Bomb instead of Bullet Punch. Please submit the actual set you'd use, and not just one that gets attention for its gimmick. In addition, please vote for a set that you'd actually use in its posted form; if you wouldn't actually use the set, it's not worth your vote. We want quality sets to make it to our OP.

That being said, I expect I'll get some great submissions for our next subject;

Archen has been getting some attention lately as a reliable answer to the popular "Fletchdig" core. However, people have been running a multitude of different sets. Have you been using something slightly unorthodox to great effect? Let us know!

Also remember you can edit your posts and discuss other people's sets; if these sets can be improved, we should help each other!

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Archen @ Choice Band
Ability: Defeatist
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 180 Atk / 76 Def
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Pretty simple. Thrash things with Banded Archen or cripple something with Switcheroo.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
ROCK POLISH 48 PP AGILITY ARCHEN GOML

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish 48 PP AGILITY
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Head Smash
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Archen can utilize Rock Polish 48 PP AGILITY very effectively, quickly boosting its normally middling speed to a remarkable 32, 48 TIMES. It can then use a few of its powerful moves, such as Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Knock Off or Head Smash, to plow through teams lacking strong priority. Watch out!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

SexBot (Archen) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

This set is pretty cool on offensive teams that need a one time check to fighting types, while still providing Stealth Rock support for the team. U-turn is also nice, as Archen forces out current threats like Fletchling and DodrioDoduo giving your team free momentum. Honestly I think that U-turn is very underrated on Archen right now.

blaraedit: idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Huge Power Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Acrobatics

HONE THOSE CLAWS. Come in on something you force out (aka Fletchling), and Sub/Hone Claws up! After a boost you're dealing unholy amounts of damage with Stone Edge, which has perfect accuracy after a boost. Last slot is either Earthquake for dat EdgeQuake coverage, or Acro for dat secondary STAB. Berry Juice is the item of choice so Defeatist doesn't become an issue.

Let's face it, Fletchling+Diglett is everywhere. Sub+Hone Claws Archen is a great way to punish those bitches for their unoriginality.

KAWWWW.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Archen @ Choice Band
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

Archen with a Choice Band is a goddamn howitzer. The main move is Head Smash which is able to cut even the bulkiest opponents to ribbons. The recoil on it is a shame - especially when can trigger Defeatist - but not a lot of things can walk away from a STAB 150 Base Power move coming off 22 attack with a Choice Band.

180+ Atk Choice Band Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 9 - 12 (45 - 60%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

180+ Atk Choice Band Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 100 Def Combee: 172 - 208 (905.2 - 1094.7%) -- could kill a swarm of the fuckers

Earthquake punishes switches like Pawniard and gives great coverage with Head Smash. U-Turn is great for switches too and Knock Off is good coverage. Nuke-bird has some problems with speed and recovery, but it can really hurt things.

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Archen @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant / Jolly
- Head Smash / Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Switcheroo
- Knock Off / Aerial Ace

180 Atk Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Scyther: 88-108 (382.6 - 469.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Archen hits either 22 or 20 Attack with maximum EVs depending on the nature. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Archen becomes a solid revenge-killer, taking out weakened Pokemon with its powerful attacks. Head Smash is Archen's most powerful attack, OHKOing Eviolite Misdreavus 81.3% of the time after Stealth Rock, but other rock-type STAB moves could also be run if the recoil and/or accuracy is less than desirable. Earthquake packs phenomenal coverage with Archen's rock-type STAB, allowing Archen to outspeed and OHKO unsuspecting Scarf Pawniards and Magnemites. U-Turn is a nice move for scouting and maintaining momentum, but Switcheroo is an option for crippling certain walls. Knock Off is able to cripple switch-ins, allowing Archen and the rest of the team to deal with them more easily later on, but Aerial Ace could be used to revenge-killed weakened Scraggy and Timburr; keep in mind that it doesn't OHKO if they have Eviolite intact and they are fairly healthy.

Reactions: OP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)