Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential.
I didn't know that shitting on your own rules is acceptable. Offensive SR

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner of Week 32 goes to Albacore's Offensive Stealth Rock Aggron! Congratz for entering the Hall of Fame! (Again!)

The Pokemon for Week 33 is Magnezone!

Magnezone has been a Pokemon of my interest lately, mostly for being a well Steel trapper. Magnezone has a great typing being able to check many other types, however it is weak to more common types like Ground, Fighting and Fire. Using it's typing it can lure/check others mons that may threaten it, I won't give too much more, but let's get started!​

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire/Flash Cannon

The basic premise of subbeam magnezone is to make a mag set that can work vs fat teams while capitalizing on switches that its steel typing forces. For example, you can bring in mag vs a lati twin (thats either at -2 or you've confirmed doesnt have hp fire/eq) and set up a sub on the switch to a steel resist to take on mag's presumed specs flash cannon. However, you proceed to charge beam behind the sub and can boost your special attack to terrifying levels and fire off attacks vs the opposing team and overcome them. HP Fire should really only be used if your team is super weak to like ferro since tbolt hits like every other steel type hard enough. Overall this is a p fun set to use when ur fucking around if u wanna break through fatter teams without having to deal with predicting with specs. Sorry if this explanation is really shitty lol, its 3 am here xD

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Magnezone @ Chople Berry / Occa Berry
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat / Thunderbolt

Chople Berry allows it to trap and KO Superpower MegaZor. It also helps it take on stuff like Scarf Keldeo or can be used in tandem with Mirror Coat to surprise random Focus Blast users. Occa Berry allows it to trap and KO Heatran with Mirror Coat if it comes in on a VoltTurn or when something faints without sacrificing utility versus other Steel-types like Dugtrio does.

Edit: s/o to FV and Cicada

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
reserving magnet rise+air balloon wait nvm this is on the analysis fsr, I'll take specs analytic then

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

This set basically capitalises on surprise effect. A lot of people won't even bother trying to switch their Steels out, assuming that Magnezone has Magnet Pull, so you can still bluff-trap Steels while firing off powerful Analytic-boosted Volt Switches and hitting switchins super hard in general :

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 333-393 (87.1 - 102.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Heatran: 178-211 (46.1 - 54.6%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 199-234 (55.1 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull / Sturdy
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

This set lets Magnezone lure fat grounds like Landorus-T and Garchomp and then smack them with hp ice. Expert belt is needed to get the OHKOes on both of them. Magnet pull is preferred so you can still trap skarm and finish off other weakened steels, but sturdy is an option to let you live an earthquake.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Magnezone @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charge Beam
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Sub on the switch and proceed to hope that 70% for SpA raise is more of a 100%. Good stab coverage, but Charge Beam allows you to setup on Skarmory and Ferrothorn till the point of where you are possibly at +4 with a sub up. Sub allows you to block Leech Seeds.
LL already posted this.

Sobi

Banned deucer.

Magnezone @ Damp Rock
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Grass
- Volt Switch / Flash Cannon / whatever

makes a decent rain lead on rain teams although they aren't very common nowadays. i'm not the best at conjuring up ev spreads so this one is probably trash but max speed and special attack so that it's as fast as possible and so that it can deal a lot of damage. with rain dance, magnezone can go for thunder > thunderbolt for more power.

252 SpA Magnezone Thunder vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Mega Slowbro: 356-420 (90.3 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Magnezone Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 360-426 (105.5 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magnezone Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 392-464 (107.6 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO, although rain should already be present otherwise magnezone can get koed by fire blast !_!

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dude.

AV Magnezone

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: like I have a good spread lol ok
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- HP Fire

Alright so it's not like this lives Mega Garde Hyper Voice + Focus Blast (good lord I tried to EV that ... do not EV that), but you can tank Focus Blasts from pretty much anything at full and it lets you live stuff like Volcanion Steam Eruption (they never go for the fire move) and just hitem off with Electric STAB.

Generally not choiced Mag is fun because a lot of tryhards switch-in Ferro and just in general it's an nice way to catch people off guard when they think you're locked into a move.

Last edited:

Magnezone @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Screech
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Endure

Functions like Salac Magneton in Gen 3 OU in which endure activates salac and if opponent switches to some mon to cockblock zone like hippo, gchomp, heatran, etc u screech and then send out band dugtrio to 2hko or OHKO the mon.

Dual Screens Magnezone

Magnezone @ Light Clay / Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone's typing gives it plenty of opportunities to switch in, allowing it to easily set up screens. Volt Switch allows Magnezone to safely pivot to something that can take advantage of the screens. The last slot is filler, and can be replaced with other moves like Thunder Wave or a Hidden Power of your choosing.

Pivot-Zone

Magnezone @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def I am bad at EVs
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Recycle
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

This is a bad set. Magnezone acts as a dedicated pivot and status absorber that just provides a slow volt switch. Click toxic on ground types. Coming to a stall team near you.

Electroweb Magnezone

Magnezone @ Expert Belt
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Electroweb

• Magnezone forces some switches and, thanks to this, Electroweb can be useful (except towards opposite Serperior and Bisharp) to stack some damage between Electroweb and another STAB or the HP. Electroweb gives you another turn to damage the opponent, while Volt Switch damages and preserves momentum. It is a sort of damaging Thunder Wave useful towards many not-Ground type DD users in order to stack damage over and over. Electroweb on the switch + Volt Switch outdamages a single Thunderbolt. Electroweb can be stacked onto another status condition.
  • Expert Belt is here to bluff a Choice item, while still keeping some offensive presence.
  • EVs spread stolen from the Specs set.

Last edited:
Dude.

AV Magnezone

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: like I have a good spread lol ok
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- HP Fire

Alright so it's not like this lives Mega Garde Hyper Voice + Focus Blast (good lord I tried to EV that ... do not EV that), but you can tank Focus Blasts from pretty much anything at full and it lets you live stuff like Volcanion Steam Eruption (they never go for the fire move) and just hitem off with Electric STAB.

Generally not choiced Mag is fun because a lot of tryhards switch-in Ferro and just in general it's an nice way to catch people off guard when they think you're locked into a move.
Its a shame that this doesn't have mirror coat... the only reason I can see to ever use AV Mag is so you can tank both focus blast (at least you can tank from gard and zam when you're healthy) and fire moves at the same time, but in the latter situation or against zam you really want to be able to KO back, so MCoat makes a lot of sense to me here (probably over tbolt).

Also fuck Martin. for taking chople berry, occa berry, and mirror coat all in one post... (where's the creds for me and cicada) >_>
Thunder wave is also a neat option in the last slot (think my OLT game vs leftiez), but mirror coat is also pretty good in general

Last edited:
Discharge Magnezone

Magnezone @ Zap Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch / Charge Beam

Trades the hard hitting power of Thunderbolt in exchange for a higher chance at paralysis. Good for non-Ground switch-ins. The big argument against this is obvious: why use Discharge when you can T-Wave? Simple, damage. We are all no stranger to Scald's "luckiness", so the same applies to Discharge. Zap Plate & Modest nature means Magnezone hits as hard as possible. Max speed is to outspeed most bulky threats, and outspeed anything hit by paralysis. Volt Switch keeps the momentum going while Charge Beam boosts the potency of Discharge (or any other move for that matter).

Highly recommend a partner that can take out Ground / Guts mons (i.e. Amoonguss / Slowbro)

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Voting Starts now and ends in 48 Hours! Here are your choices:

SubBeam Magnezone
Berry+T-Wave/Mirror Coat Magnzone
Analytic Magnezone
Expert Belt HP Ice Magnezone
Rain Magnezone
Assault Vest Magnezone
Salac Magnezone
Thunder Wave Magnezone
Dual Screens Magnezone
Pivot Magnezone
Electroweb Magnezone
Discharge Magnezone

Last edited:
Reactions: TPP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)