Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
IVs: 0 Atk
-Psychic
-Roost
-Magic Coat
-Heat Wave

Behold: the new and better Natu! Natu is an inferior bouncer because it is weak to Stealth Rock, can't use Leftovers, and is too frail in most cases. Sigilyph has much more power running this, and is essentially immune to burn, poison, and entry hazards. Against Ferroseed/Qwilfish, Sigilyph can bounce back Taunt, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, and Spikes, which is great if the opponent doesn't have a spinner. Roost lets Sigilyph keep switching in when it needs to, and also removes weaknesses against Thunderbolt, Stone Edge, and Ice Beam for a turn if it is necessary for Sigilyph to tank one of these attacks. Psychic and Heat Wave provide the best two-move coverage, getting STAB and hitting all Steel-types in the tier for significant damage.

I don't think you can really compare Sigilyph to Natu. Sigilyph has to be in battle or double switch in order to work, while Natu can just switch into Qwilfish and Ferroseed and bounce their moves without taking up a moveslot. Magic Coat is also kind of predictable and the opponent can switch out making you waste a turn. Natu is better for this role in my opinion because it can perform two jobs at the same time. Magic Coat could be a cool surprise move but I think that it has better things to do.

I don't think you can really compare Sigilyph to Natu. Sigilyph has to be in battle or double switch in order to work, while Natu can just switch into Qwilfish and Ferroseed and bounce their moves without taking up a moveslot. Magic Coat is also kind of predictable and the opponent can switch out making you waste a turn. Natu is better for this role in my opinion because it can perform two jobs at the same time. Magic Coat could be a cool surprise move but I think that it has better things to do.
You are correct that their roles are different, but almost all players will recall that Natu is a Magic Bouncer when they see it in Team Preview. As the player with Natu predicts a hazard being laid down, it might switch in to meet a Thunderbolt/Stone Edge/Crunch/etc. to the face and be out of commission. Of course, prediction skills are necessary to pull this off.

I should have mentioned that this Sigilyph is designed as an anti-lead to beat most common RU leads that use hazards (primarily Ferroseed, Qwilfish, and Steelix).

Or Sigilyph could just outspeed all the 'mons you listed and OHKO them with Psychic or Heat Wave .-. While this sounds somewhat interesting on paper, the standard LO sigi can prevent just as well, if not better than a Magic Coat variant

This is my set:

Sigilyph@Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Roost

This set has a simple idea: get a cosmic power boost or two, then roost off damage and proceed to wreck havoc with Charge Beam and Stored Power.
One reason I like Charge Beam - it can help Sigi deal at least some damage to Slowking as otherwise Slowking can just phaze out all the boosts gathered previously.
It also helps gain power for Stored Power, as after one Charge Beam and two Cosmic Powers(not VERY difficult to achieve considering roost) Sigilyph can SPAM stored Power vs anything not Dark or Steel in typing.
The only issue is Steelix walls the set to a degree but considering it's 4x weak to fighting Sigi doesn't have too many issues with help of team support.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Miracle Eye
-Psychic
-Heat Wave
-Energy Ball / Roost

Miracle Eye is basically a Psychic-type version of Foresight, which means it can now hit Dark-types with Psychic attacks. This puts a ton of pressure on common Sigilyph switch-ins, like Spiritomb and Drapion, because it can now hit them for a fuckton of damage with its strongest STAB. The damage output from an LO Psychic is actually quite surprising, as it actually OHKOes all Drapions and even 2HKOes physically defensive Spiritomb with no hazards needed. This makes this Sigilyph an excellent lure, and if Darks like these are the only checks, it's now free to pretty much sweep.

As for the other moves, they just provide coverage and/or recovery. Heat Wave hits Steels, and Energy Ball vs. Roost is a choice of being able to hit stuff like Slowking and Lanturn harder or being able to heal up when you're low on health. However, because of Magic Guard, Energy Ball is usually the better choice. And I think that's everything that needs to be covered, so feel free to leave any feedback on the set! Thanks!

This is my set:

Sigilyph@Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Calm Mind/Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Air Slash

Will edit later
I like the idea behind this, but there are 2 things I suggest you change:

1. This set has no recovery, so do Air Slash --> Roost. The coverage that Air Slash provides is not very good, so you can just drop it.
2. Slash Cosmic Power over Calm Mind, as many common attacks that Sigilyph is weak to are physical (especially Stone Edge and Pursuit), so Cosmic Power can buff physical defense. Also this allows you to get +6 Def +6 SpA +6 SpD with enough Charge Beams, making Stored Power stronger than if you are just at +6 SpA +6 SpD.

phantom

Banned deucer.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Psyshock
- SolarBeam
- Heat Wave

This is a pretty powerful weapon against hail teams and a strong sweeper in general. The objective is to kill off Snover then set up sun. There is literally no core that can take on this Sigilyph, as it 2HKOes almost the entire tier. After setting up Sunny Day, you pretty much destroy the momentum of hail teams and force a lot of offensive pressure on others; this lets you use SolarBeam and a boosted Heat Wave; together with Psyshock, it 2HKOes most if not all RU cores. This thing OHKOes every Ice-type bar Walrein. This is were SolarBeam comes in, after Stealth Rock, Sigilyph can OHKO Wallrein and 2HKO Slowking! A boosted Heat Wave pretty much takes out any Steel-type. While Psyshock is Sigilyph's best STAB, destroying Cryogonal and other special walls.

Calcs
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Flareon: 218-257 (65.26 - 76.94%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph SolarBeam vs. 232 HP / 4+ SpD Walrein: 289-341 (68.97 - 81.38%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph SolarBeam vs. 248 HP / 116+ SpD Slowking: 221-260 (56.23 - 66.15%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regirock: 208-247 (57.14 - 67.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Amoonguss in sun: 346-408 (80.09 - 94.44%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 168 Def Cryogonal: 247-292 (72.01 - 85.13%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph SolarBeam vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 257-304 (64.08 - 75.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Regice in sun: 198-234 (54.54 - 64.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph SolarBeam vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 619-733 (165.95 - 196.51%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Magneton in sun: 221-260 (72.69 - 85.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Uxie in sun: 146-172 (41.24 - 48.58%) -- 15.63% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 187-222 (47.46 - 56.34%) -- 28.91% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Spiritomb in sun: 125-148 (41.25 - 48.84%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sup guys, Silvershadow recently sent me a PM mentioning that he'd be away for a little bit because of some internet issues (he said he was lucky to get the PM through at all lol) Silvershadow234 requested me to run the rest of this Next Best thing, and possibly some of the next one until he can have his internet up consistently, so anyways, i'll be starting to voting for Sigilyph now :).

The Quasar's Cosmic Power+Whirlwind Set
DittoCrow's Calm Mind Set
August's Calm Mind Set
bobbyvaporeon's Tailwind set
Explorer's Magic Coat set
vyomov's Cosmic Power+Charge Beam set
Dat Blast's Miracle Eye set
Icecream's Sunny Day set

My personal vote goes to August's Calm Mind Set btw

get voting guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)