MetaTroll @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Trick

Tired of being eternally walled by the likes of those bulky waters such as Slowbro or Suicune? Well, Metagross has a Trick up its sleeves! ^_^

I invested 176 EVs into Speed to outspeed positively natured 115s with the Choice scarf, so I could potentially revenge kill things like non-scarf Raikou/Mega Houndoom/blabla if I don't end up ditching the scarf, however crippling something with Trick is usually my first priority with using this thing.

I have only battled people in the lower end of the ladder so far (my alt is in the mid 1200s atm), but I've drawn many Suicune (mostly CroCune) switch-ins so far, which I really like. I'll show a few battles once I get a little higher in the ladder.

Edit:

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-126785965

Last edited:
Metagross@Assault Vest
EVS:252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch

So,we all know how Metagross can take most physical hits well,but it's special defense has always been rather bad.Assault Vest fixes all that,boosting Metagross' SpD by half.Metagross is however forced to run only attacking moves,limiting it's role to a mixed tank.I put in max Defense because Assault Vest fixes it's inability to take special hits,removing the need for SpD EVS(though I still put in a small amount of SpD).The moves here are self-explanatory:Earthquake to hit steels,Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash are for STAB,and Ice Punch is mainly filler.Overall,I think this set has the potential to be an amazing mixed tank in UU.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagross-0-3.3506726/ --> Metagross Analysis
(ik Swamp Link's set and mine are both in the analysis, but I've never really seen any of our sets and only 2/3 of em are actually common soooo...)

Just a suggestion but Bouffalant, is it possible if you can post a link to the respective analyses when you choose the next 'mons for this project, so we're all given the ideas of the sets that are standard and reduce the amount of standard sets actually posted here?

>Next Best Thing

>Literally every set bar 1 has an analysis written for it.

#innovation
Well, in the spirit of innovation...

One thing Metagross has going for it is a niche on heavy offense teams. Metagross can run a decent set as follows:

Metagross @ Light Clay
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion
-Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash/Toxic/Pursuit/Telekenesis (lol)

Metagross has good bulk and dual screens, plus explosion. These factors together allow Metagross to set screens and explode, which can be a godsend for heavy offense teams. He'd probably do quite well on a sticky web based team, which would only help Metagross set the screens. The EV spread and final move are pretty up in the air; I'd invest in speed and bulk on general principles for a dual screener, but you also want his attack to be decent when he explodes. However, since the main point of explosion is to get a sweeper in safely, I'd only EV anything into attack if you want to run Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, or pursuit; even then, you should only EV to a specific threshhold (for instance, bullet punch to always OHKO Slurpuff... even though slurpuff is shit, I needed an example). Bullet punch could provide emergency priority, and is probably the superior option, but Meteor Mash provides a decent attack to hit taunt users and Toxic allows Metagross to fully invest in HP (And 4 points in defense or whatever) while still having utility in hitting bulky ghosts and stuff like slowbro on the switch.

If only someone had posted a dual screens explosion metagross before, there could have been innovation before now.

Well, in the spirit of innovation...

One thing Metagross has going for it is a niche on heavy offense teams. Metagross can run a decent set as follows:

Metagross @ Light Clay
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion
-Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash/Toxic/Pursuit/Telekenesis (lol)

Metagross has good bulk and dual screens, plus explosion. These factors together allow Metagross to set screens and explode, which can be a godsend for heavy offense teams. He'd probably do quite well on a sticky web based team, which would only help Metagross set the screens. The EV spread and final move are pretty up in the air; I'd invest in speed and bulk on general principles for a dual screener, but you also want his attack to be decent when he explodes. However, since the main point of explosion is to get a sweeper in safely, I'd only EV anything into attack if you want to run Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, or pursuit; even then, you should only EV to a specific threshhold (for instance, bullet punch to always OHKO Slurpuff... even though slurpuff is shit, I needed an example). Bullet punch could provide emergency priority, and is probably the superior option, but Meteor Mash provides a decent attack to hit taunt users and Toxic allows Metagross to fully invest in HP (And 4 points in defense or whatever) while still having utility in hitting bulky ghosts and stuff like slowbro on the switch.
The irony in this post.

>preaches innovation

>uses the same set as someone else with 1 move slot changed

Like I said #innovation

The irony in this post.

>preaches innovation

>uses the same set as someone else with 1 move slot changed

Like I said #innovation
Hrm... I did a quick ctrl + f for "dual screens" across the pages of this thread and didn't return anything.

Bulldoze is another option, but Metagross's counters are mostly either too slow to care or can fly.

So basically the options I see for Metagross are:
- Choiced
- Assault Vest
- Defensive Support w/ Rocks + Pursuit
- Dual Screen Supporter
- Mixed Life Orb Lure
- ...? Non-choice item trick or something? He runs out of options about here. Frankly, as psuedolegendaries go, he's got a fairly barren movepool.

I suppose he can also run niche support like Rain Dance or Sunny Day, but I feel like there are better users (like Volbeat 'n shit).

I looked at a rest/talk/hone claws/meteor mash mono attacker, but he just dies to so much of the tier that it's not worth it.

Also, it might help make more progress if you suggested some sets for "innovation" rather than preached about how no one was being innovative... have we looked at a choice specs set yet?

EDIT: lol must have missed page 2

Last edited:
lol so uh the op is still glitching out ive tried looking at all the solutions and nothing works so dont mind it atm

also voting is open, i will allow pana's set but not the other av and the cb sets as they are incredibly standard and pana's set is actually good (im probably the only one who's actually tried using it but w/e)

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Ability: sap sipper/gooey (not sure if I can have the /)
EVs: 220 Atk / 188 SpA / 100 Spd
Fire Blast
Outrage
Iron tail / earthquake
Power Whip
Pretty self explanatory, evs are a little funky but aside from that mon is basically a mixed attacker that can either abuse mons that abuse spore or other power grass type attacks, or slowing down faster mons on the switch-in to help deal with the lack of much defensive investment. + has pretty much perfect neutral coverage (and great SE coverage)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks Bouffalant, for picking a mon with a spacious movepool and little to no options to make actual sets out of :\

After pondering for a while (a solid 10 minutes) this is probably the best I'm gonna come up with that isn't the good ol' Hydration Rain Dance Infestation staller (someone else can feel free to cop that though):

Goodra @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest / Power Whip

When you look at Goodra, its big round body, its enormous Special Defense, its access to Curse and a decent physical movepool (As well as a ton of other moves it probably shouldn't bother using), a handful of weaknesses, and a bunch of useful resistances, it isn't hard to draw similarities to Snorlax. So I decided to throw together a set that is pretty much a Dragon-type Curselax. The EVs were specifically to avoid the 2HKO from Darmanitan's Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock and Lefties recovery (Yes, people, it hits that hard even despite resisting because Goodra's uninvested Def stat is garbage) while maximizing special bulk as much as possible, enabling setup opportunities left and right. Leftovers is the preferred item cause of passive recovery, though Chesto Berry can be used to give Goodra a second chance to continue sweeping, should it be worn down enough while setting up.

Outrage is your main STAB, but being locked into Outrage can be a serious liability thanks to Steel-types like Forretress (Who you actually set up on, ironically) and Mega Aggron who get free turns to come in and lay hazards and force you out. So Dragon Tail can be a viable option to shuffle the opposing team around. And thanks to Goodra's base 80 Speed, it still outruns common phazers like Hippowdon, Mega Aggron, and Swampert, meaning you still beat them and hang onto your boosts, possibly making the other dude's team take damage from hazards. (SubCoil Zygarde anybody?) Curse lowers your Speed, ignore the stuff I crossed out. Dragon Tail is still useful for shuffling foes into hazards and whatnot, especially since it's the lower-risk/lower-reward alternative physical Dragon STAB. Earthquake rounds out Goodra's Dragon STAB by hitting all those Steel-types and Fire-types who it might be able to switch in on, as well as everything else that otherwise laughs at Dragon. Honestly I'm not gonna lie to you, Rest is the preferred option here despite no Sleep Talk, because just as with Curselax, running mono coverage to allow use of Rest + Sleep Talk lends Goodra to being shut down by something. Actually several things, honestly. Goodra will be idle for a couple of turns, but if you're using Goodra lategame as you should, it'll be nearly impossible to take down in most cases after it's racked up a few boosts. Power Whip can be used if you don't care about Rest, since it gives Goodra something to smack bulky Water-types like Slowbro and Suicune around with.

Oh yeah, Sap Sipper's useful for switching into Spore/Sleep Powder/etc. and setting up. Between Goodra's great set of resistances and special bulk, it honestly shouldn't be TOO difficult to find setup opportunities through the match with this set. Also, tempting as it may be to run Iron Tail just to dispose of Florges...don't. Just like you wouldn't give standard Curselax Fire Punch to kill that stupid Forretress, you wouldn't give Goodra a niche move to beat one of its counters when it doesn't have the moveslot to afford it. Rely on teammates like Victini, Crobat, Metagross, etc. to handle Florges. Or a mon who lures it, even, such as Iron Tail LO Hydreigon or something lol. One of the best positives is (esp. with Dragon Tail), Goodra's capable of setting up on most physical walls; Hippowdon, Slowbro, Swampert, Suicune (you NEED Dragon Tail for this guy though), Mega Aggron, and Chesnaught (RIP)

Oh yeah you wanted calcs so suck on these:
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Goodra: 152-179 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
124 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Goodra: 153-181 (39.9 - 47.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (60 BP) vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Goodra: 129-153 (33.6 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 128+ SpD Goodra: 134-158 (34.9 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 128+ SpD Goodra: 84-100 (21.9 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Goodra: 129-153 (33.6 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 128+ SpD Goodra: 130-154 (33.9 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 128+ SpD Goodra: 112-133 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 5.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Okay I think you get the idea of what it sets up on lol. Too lazy to post calcs of Goodra vs. the tier. May do it later if laziness doesn't fully overtake

Last edited:
And thanks to Goodra's base 80 Speed, it still outruns common phazers like Hippowdon, Mega Aggron, and Swampert, meaning you still beat them and hang onto your boosts, possibly making the other dude's team take damage from hazards.
Just a minor nitpick since Curse also reduces your speed you may not be able to necessarily outpace the other phazers once you manage enough curse boosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)