The Next Best Thing...

I don't know if its really up for discussion, but I think it'd be cool if we did NBTs on the impending drops of the tier (Houndoom, Mismagius, Krookodile, Dusclops) maybe in an attempt to create a move set that would make them more viable.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
so sorry i haven't updated this in a while, been busy with other shit and completely forgot about coming on her and continuing this. blarajan wins flygon, and the next mon will be Crobat!

Crobat (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP/14 SpD/240 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Roost
-Poison Fang

This is the new trapper Crobat! Since it is so fast, it can use Mean Look very effectively on many Pokemon, and then proceed to Toxic-stall any Pokemon that cannot phaze it out, remove the status, or 2HKO Crobat including Black Sludge recovery. Roost is very effective in helping it to stall, especially since it removes Crobat's Flying-typing for a turn, letting it take Ice-type attacks better from slower Pokemon. Poison Fang is a backup poison source in the event that Crobat gets Taunted, but it is designed to inflict status rather than deal a lot of direct damage. The EVs ensure Crobat beats all non-Scarfed Crobat that run 236 speed, and then the rest of the EVs go to bulk.

This thing has a lot of potential. There are tons of goodies Crobat could abuse, outside of the standard Leech Life/Giga Impact/Confuse Ray/Attract set. Torment seems cool at first but upon further inspection doesn't look like a great set, as unlike say Heatran, Crobat isn't bulky enough to avoid spamming only Substitute. Combine that with the fact that Toxic Spikes are pretty shaky in UU and Crobat doesn't have a great attacking move to take advantage of Torment (Brave Bird recoils :( ), and it seems like a stretch. Given Crobat's already excellent stallbreaking abilities, a Mean Look set sounds fucking great, and it's what I'll probably vote for if Explorer posts a good spread for it. My best go is pretty much the opposite of Mean Look -- Phazer Crobat:

Crobat @ Black Sludge
252 HP/104 SpD/152 Spe Jolly
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Taunt
-Toxic

So this is pretty straightforward. It's a phazer. Whirlwind is obvious, Roost and Taunt are the main reasons you'd use Crobat rather than some other phazer in the first place. The last move could be Toxic, Brave Bird, Super Fang or even U-turn. There are a lot of options, and no matter what you choose you have problems. For example my set struggles with Nidoqueen and Bronzong. Special bulk is maximized to do well against Grass types, as Omastar is a recommended partner, but Defense helps if tanking Fighting-type Stone Edges is more important, and it gets 150 Speed IVs to creep standard Crobat so you can Taunt it first. Why would you use Crobat as a phazer over something else?

-It's notorious in UU for being able to switch in on myriad Pokemon and force them out, and many teams have a good Pokemon to go to against Crobat, which you can capitalize by not letting them come in and instead chopping away a quarter of Rhyperior's (say) health.
-Access to a fast Taunt lets it neutralize Pokemon that can't do much outside of set up on it, like Qwilfish or Roserade, then Whirlwind them out for more hazards damage.
-It has Roost to stay healthy more reliably than phazers like Suicune.
-Good luck phazing this Crobat first.

Obviously this requires a bulky Spiker and Stealth Rock user as a partner. Out of these, Omastar seems to have the best type synergy with Crobat, though Electrics especially will shit on these two, so you'll want something to handle those.

This is all theorymon but seems like it would be okay. Any set improvements are appreciated. I'm really looking forward to Mean Look!

EDIT: Oh, scorpdestroyer, I didn't think of using only one of Sub/Protect, and that does seem to make Torment Crobat much more of a threat.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Crobat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Torment
-Roost
-Substitute / Protect
-Brave Bird

Crobat's amazing typing means it can come in on many pokemon such as Roserade, Shaymin, etc. and force them out. However, with this set, Crobat can render most of its counters obsolete, and force many switches. Like most Torment sets, this is based around the fact that many Pokemon have only one move to hurt Crobat and Torment can take advantage of that. For example, Rhyperior can no longer counter Crobat because its only move to hit it is Rock Blast which can be protected against. Zapdos will be countered especially if it carries the more common HP Grass. Bronzong can no longer hurt Crobat if it Protects or Subs on the Gyro Ball. This set is very effective at stalling out the opponent, especially with reliable recovery in Roost, as well as toxic spikes support. Another amazing thing is that Substitute can be used in place of Protect since with Crobat's blazing speed, it will move first most of the time, meaning free subs. Protect allows you to deal with Rhyperior better.

@above nooooo Torment ftw :(

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hohohoho, yes! I was hoping you'd do this Pokemon someday...Here's something I came up with, everyone's sets so far seem pretty good and creative. It's a shame Brobat doesn't have more options, but here's one for size:

Brobat @ Black Sludge/Life Orb (Only for the risktakers)
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Screech

Pretty straightforward set if you look at it closely enough...Before I explain the moves, the EVs are a spread I've been running on Crobat for a while, simply because of the fact it almost GUARANTEES an OHKO against Dragon Dance Scrafty after Stealth Rock damage. And it also hits as hard as possible while maintaining a decent amount of bulk and nigh-incomparable speed. Anyway as for the moves themselves, the goal of this set is to come in on something Crobat absolutely wrecks or threatens, things such as Roserade (watch for Sleep Powder/HP Ice/Extrasensory), Hitmontop, Gligar, etc. And force an easy switch. Instead of going for the Brave Bird like you normally would, you simply use Screech and crumble the defenses of whatever switch-ins the opponent has. If the opponent brings in something that doesn't resist Brave Bird but is yet capable of taking one, you have U-Turn simply for the sake of being able to pull to an appropriate teammate.

For instance, Brobat comes in on Hitmontop. Hitmontop gets scared and runs away and calls his buddy RHYPERIOR to come into the fray. Rhyperior comes in on an ear-splitting Screech Move, and before he gets a chance to Rock Blast, you simply U-Turn out against it and bring in your buddy (insert Fighting-type here.) There's countless examples and possibilities I could go on about, but the main goal of this set is basically to soften up whatever check to Crobat the opponent can have either so Crobat can kill it, or one of its partners can. It's also useful for forcing some inconvenient switches and adding more damage to the foe's side. And in case you're not convinced, take a look at some calcs for comparisons in damage.

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 87-103 (27.01 - 31.98%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 174-206 (54.03 - 63.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Zapdos: 79-93 (20.62 - 24.28%) -- possible 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 248 HP / 84 Def Zapdos: 159-187 (41.51 - 48.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 96-114 (29.9 - 35.51%) -- 51.73% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 193-228 (60.12 - 71.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Slowbro: 103-123 (26.2 - 31.29%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 248 HP / 244+ Def Slowbro: 207-244 (52.67 - 62.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 72-85 (29.87 - 35.26%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 144-169 (59.75 - 70.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 100-118 (24.75 - 29.2%) -- possible 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 201-237 (49.75 - 58.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Other calcs regarding pokes like Rhyperior, Registeel, and Bronzong are simply 9HKOes after SR which turn into potential 4HKOes at -2, and really aren't worth mentioning. What is worth mentioning however, is that it makes it VERY easy to pummel through these Pokemon with your teammates, which is part of this set's goal after all.

Naturally, most of these calcs show that some checks are gonna be 2HKO'd after Stealth Rock by Brave Bird at -2, meaning they could still tank a hit and threaten. However focus more on the actual percentage output rather than the amount of hits it takes to KO. With a good amount of prior damage, most of these 2HKOes will be simple OHKOes if the target is worn down enough, so it's best to pair this bat with partners who can weaken foes. VoltTurn support is excellent for this set, and probably the best kind of team this Crobat set fits on.

...Oh yeah. Don't try to play games if you see a Bisharp, though. Defiant Bisharp gets a free +2 Attack from Screech and can OHKO with Sucker Punch.

EDIT: I'm gonna put a slash on having Life Orb over Black Sludge. The damage output is ridiculously increased even further with LO doing massive chunks ranging from (for the most part) a minimum of 60-70% up on average to most pokes who were only 2HKOed at -2. However be advised, a Brobat will get harshly worn down by SR, Brave Bird recoil, and LO damage in the long run, even if it is packing Roost. Use it only if you either have balls or want to see things die more reliably.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Crobat @Life Orb
Timid nature
116 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/136 Spe
~Nasty Plot
~Sludge Bomb/Air Slash
~Heat Wave
~Giga Drain

Like the old Nasty Plot Crobat in DPP, although tweaked a bit for UU. Nasty Plot to double special attack, Sludge Bomb is the main STAB option, although Air Slash is a fine choice as well. You hit a wider array of pokemon super-effectively with Air Slash, but Sludge Bomb has more power, and can take out Zapdos/Raikou. Heat Wave hits Bronzong and other Steel-types, Giga Drain will hit Rhyperior. The basic goal here is just to try and lure in some of Crobat's usual counters like Rhyperior or Bronzong and then KO them. Here are some amusing calcs

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Heat Wave vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Bold Levitate Bronzong: 98.22-115.98% -- Always an OHKO after SR

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Sludge Bomb vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Timid Raikou: 79.5-93.48% -- Chance to OHKO after SR, always after SR and 1 layer spikes

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Sludge Bomb vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Zapdos: 86.65-101.86% -- Always an OHKO after SR

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello. So, I'm new to this thread, but I've been lurking on it for a while. Crobat is a pokemon I have little to no experience with, but I'll post a set anyway. (Spoiler: IT SUCKS.)

Crobat @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 Spd / 120 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Snatch
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

So basically, it's Snatch. I've loved the move ever since I saw its animation in RSE. It's just... so...cool.
This set is to basically give the middle finger to stat boosters.

So basically, you're up against this bulky mofo scrafty. You know it's either Bulk Up or Dragon Dance. And with the set, (you can make it more defensive, whatevs) you won't score much major damage. But you predict the setup move, and use Snatch. FWABAM. You now have a crobat with +1 atk, and +1 def or +1 speed. Brave Bird'll do some heavier damage now, won't it?
Bad thing is that it doesn't steal things like Sleep Powder or Spikes (Fuck off, Roserade >:C) but it does steal Calm Minds/Nasty Plots, (BRING IT, Raikou/Suicune/Cofag) so using a special move over U-turn or something is always an option.
Reason for no taunt: Taunt = no snatchable moves. (just making it obvious)
Disclaimer: this is theorymoning. I suck too much to test it effectively.
Can also steal Heal Bell and Reflect/Light Screen as well as Substitute and recovery moves to slip up the opponent's attempts at team support/stat boosting. Does not steal taunt though (Fuck off, Sableye >:C)

Hope I did it right! :/

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Snatch is so fun and lolsy ^.^ However, your hypothetical is pretty lolsy as well, given that if you're up against a bulky mofo scrafty, it's probably not gonna be setting up against a crobat ^.^ (dw closet we still love you)

Here's a stupid little set I came up with. I'll try and test it during the poisonmono test and post a replay if it ends up working.

Crobat @ Flying Gem - Inner Focus
172 HP/192 Atk/144 Spd - Jolly Nature (Standard stallbreaker with a speedcreep)
- Brave Bird
- Thief
- Roost
- U-turn/Taunt

The concept is fairly simple. Fire off a ridiculously powerful stab base 120 Flying Gem boosted Brave Bird t1, and then thief to remove the lefties of the resulting tank that was forced to switch in. Now you have a perfectly functioning Stallbreaker bat minus U-turn/Taunt/Toxic, got off a brave bird and a half, and reduced the effectiveness of a wall by taking off its item.

(TADA)

Crobat @Life Orb
Timid nature
116 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/136 Spe
~Nasty Plot
~Sludge Bomb/Air Slash
~Heat Wave
~Giga Drain

Like the old Nasty Plot Crobat in DPP, although tweaked a bit for UU. Nasty Plot to double special attack, Sludge Bomb is the main STAB option, although Air Slash is a fine choice as well. You hit a wider array of pokemon super-effectively with Air Slash, but Sludge Bomb has more power, and can take out Zapdos/Raikou. Heat Wave hits Bronzong and other Steel-types, Giga Drain will hit Rhyperior. The basic goal here is just to try and lure in some of Crobat's usual counters like Rhyperior or Bronzong and then KO them. Here are some amusing calcs

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Heat Wave vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Bold Levitate Bronzong: 98.22-115.98% -- Always an OHKO after SR

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Sludge Bomb vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Timid Raikou: 79.5-93.48% -- Chance to OHKO after SR, always after SR and 1 layer spikes

+2 Timid Life Orb Crobat Sludge Bomb vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Zapdos: 86.65-101.86% -- Always an OHKO after SR
I've tested variations on this set to good success. However, in your case, Crobat is worn out too quickly since it is weak to SR and has no recovery (most Crobat run Roost). Still, its coverage options are very useful in today's UU, so I give you credit for utilizing that.

Also, when do we start voting?

Crobat @ Choice Band
252atk/252spe/4hp
Jolly
~U-turn
~Brave Bird
~Sleep talk
This set is really good for sleep fodder as choice band crobat is really used to spam brave birds and u-turns, there's really no point in having a fourth move because with sleep talk you have a 50% chance of attacking with one move or another and it's a really good sleep fodder. It's also useful for scouting purposes. Rapid spin support is really helpful.

Crobat (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP/14 SpD/240 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Roost
-Poison Fang

This is the new trapper Crobat! Since it is so fast, it can use Mean Look very effectively on many Pokemon, and then proceed to Toxic-stall any Pokemon that cannot phaze it out, remove the status, or 2HKO Crobat including Black Sludge recovery. Roost is very effective in helping it to stall, especially since it removes Crobat's Flying-typing for a turn, letting it take Ice-type attacks better from slower Pokemon. Poison Fang is a backup poison source in the event that Crobat gets Taunted, but it is designed to inflict status rather than deal a lot of direct damage. The EVs ensure Crobat beats all non-Scarfed Crobat that run 236 speed, and then the rest of the EVs go to bulk.
This set seems okay, but I'm realizing after I got really excited about it that it kind of sucks at beating most of its counter. It's not the specific set that's bad, it's just that Mean Look isn't a very good move, and this Crobat will only see situational use at best. I do think the set could be better at trapping though. Poison Fang is pretty useless here. I'd much rather use Brave Bird or even Super Fang. Also, Crobat doesn't want a lot of Speed, because a lot of switch-ins to it will be bulky Pokemon. What about 252 Atk/252 Def/4 SpD or something like that?

This set seems okay, but I'm realizing after I got really excited about it that it kind of sucks at beating most of its counter. It's not the specific set that's bad, it's just that Mean Look isn't a very good move, and this Crobat will only see situational use at best. I do think the set could be better at trapping though. Poison Fang is pretty useless here. I'd much rather use Brave Bird or even Super Fang. Also, Crobat doesn't want a lot of Speed, because a lot of switch-ins to it will be bulky Pokemon. What about 252 Atk/252 Def/4 SpD or something like that?
I think you're right about Poison Fang, since Crobat does not get Taunted very often. I might test Giga Drain over Poison Fang for recovery, and I might lower the speed some more.

Um I'm not exactly sure how this works. Are we suppose to vote more based on viability or originality? Like I think TPO3's is the best at beating Crobat's usual counters and the most different from standard Crobat sets, but it's a set I already see relatively frequently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)