Other The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted in a while, so I'll participate.

Latios | Life Orb | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse | Psyshock | Hidden Power [Fire] | Calm Mind

Calm Mind Latios is easily one of the most unprepared things in the metagame. You just remove Aegislash and the things that can revenge kill / cripple it like Bisharp, Thundurus-I, and Mega Mawile and this thing can set up and sweep. It doesn't suffer from speed issues because it has 110 Base Spe and the things that can revenge kill it can't RK it because of +1 SpD (i.e. Greninja and Deoxys-S). Dragon Pulse is your main STAB. It hits very hard and has a great coverage. Psyshock breaks past Mega Venusaur, AV Azumarill (w/ little p. damage), and Chansey + is great alternative STAB when Dragon Pulse is too risky. Hidden Power [Fire] completes the coverage against Ferrothorn, Excadrill, and severely damages Bisharp and Mega Mawile on the switch. This set lures in Bisharp because they think you will Defog where Hidden Power [Fire] comes in to nail it. You can use a bulkier spread, but Aegislash's Shadow Sneak doesn't OHKO it iirc without Spooky Plate, so a weakened Aegislash loses to +1 LO HP Fire. It's a nice wall-breaker and only few things need to be weakened for it to wreck havoc / sweep.

Latios (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature:
-Rain Dance
-Memento
-Draco meteor
-Defog/Psyshock

Rain dance Latios can set up rain fairly easy due to decent bulk, and provides both a safe switch in for a rain sweeper such as Kabutops, and an easy time setting up thanks to the SpA and Atk drops. Draco Meteor is to make sure it's not complete taunt bait, defog gives it some utility before it sacks itself as a hazard clearer, and psyshock can 2HKO Mega-Venusaur. Unlike Deoxys-S, another rain dance user, Latios ensure's the maximum amount of turns of rain for the rain sweeper, with memento.

Latios (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature:
-Mirror Coat
-Psycho Shift/ Defog
-Roost
-Thunder Wave/ Tailwind / Memento

Mirror Coat helps Latios take on stuff like stray ice and ghost and fairy and dragon special attacks. Psycho Shift is useful for Latios to act as a status absorber and Roost helps make sure that the focus sash can be used if Latios is slightly damaged but the sash isn't broken.. Thunder Wave cripples Greninja which otherwise laughs at Mirror Coat due to Dark typing( with or without protean after using Dark Pulse. Defog is the only thing that Latios has over Deoxys-S to clear hazards. It also has Tailwind which is useable to boost your team's speed and should be used when it's health is low and sacrifice it to the opponent's attack. Memento also sacrifices Latios, but to allow a set-up sweeper to come in and set-up

Last edited:

Latios (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature:
-Mirror Coat
-Psycho Shift
-Roost
-Thunder Wave

Mirror Coat helps Latios take on stuff like stray ice and ghost and fairy and dragon special attacks. Psycho Shift is useful for Latios to act as a status absorber and Roost helps make sure that the focus sash can be used if Latios is slightly damaged but the sash isn't broken.. Thunder Wave cripples Greninja which otherwise laughs at Mirror Coat due to Dark typing( with or without protean after using Dark Pulse.
Deoxys-D can use mirror coat to a much greater extent, as it's bulky enough to survive even Spooky Plate 252+ SpA Aegislash, and doesn't have to rely on a focus sash. In addition, it can also set up hazards which is a lot more useful then shifting the occasional status problem Latios might acquire. I don't see much use Latios would have over it.

Last edited:
Deoxys-D can use mirror coat to a much greater extent, as it's bulky enough to survive even Spooky Plate 252 SpA Aegislash, and doesn't have to rely on a focus sash. In addition, it can also set up hazards which is a lot more useful then shifting the occasional status problem Latios might acquire. I don't see much use Latios would have over it.
Added extra points and slashes, thanks. But I feel this set would be inferior to Latias, who can run the same set but with Healing-Wish instead of Memento but it does have a surprise factor. Probably a Gimmick, but all the non-gimmick set have been taken

Latios really doesn't have many options, especially 'unknown/unexplored' ones.

This is about as good of a set that's somewhat unusual and has potential that I can come up with that hasn't been posted yet.

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Calm Mind

Psyshock + Calm Mind beats Chansey.
HP Fighting beats Bisharp and (non AV) Tyranitar.
Thunderbolt beats Azumarill (or Psyshock does if it's AV).

Those are pretty much the main checks to Latios all covered, lefties because LO would cut it's lifespan severly and a bit of recovery still lets you switch into some resisted hits.

Obviously it can be revengekilled by faster mons still but there's not really much to do about that, a DD set could work but would require Mega Latios + something to hit fairies with and it's got a nice speed tier so if it gets to set up against a team that lacks a Sucker Punch user/Talonflame it might be enough to sweep.

All in all not the best mon for this thread imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)