Other "The Offensive Bias."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
There's an offensive bias because pokémon kills pokémon with move since the Stone Age and it's easier to do than Roost-SR-Taunt-Toxic-switch-ZzzZzzz. Not better, but easier and faster.

Talonflame is way good, though, due to its incredible speed. I love CBing Talonflame for that reason... And dat Priority BB... It is MURDER on most pokemon. You can even run a support build with Priority Tailwind and WoW. Not sure about Greninja. Having stab everything is nice, but that can backfire. Still a decent pokemon, though.

However, I do agree that once Genesect and M-Kanga go be-bye, things will settle down as well.
I know that Talon is good and probably OU worthy, but many people on the ladder think its the end all be all pokemon.

The reason people are using a more Offensive teams is, one, it's easier to go out and try to kill everything in your path then go a more defensive route with Statuses and Hazards, and given that people have the tools to go extremely offensive like MKangaskhan and Genesect, it's gonna tip the scale in Offensive's favor, second, the meta is still young, and a lack of bans on stuff like Genesect and the like make it hard when Ubers have come down to make OU their territory. As the Meta advances, and stuff that deserves to be hit gets hit, it'll start to balance out, as it generally takes more experience to build a good defensive team and win with it, so early in a Generations life Offense is often seen because it's what's easier to build and put into practice, but I wouldn't say either are better then one another so long as both are built well.

Besides the obvious threats, many good offensive mons are easily countered. Talonflame hates SR and is countered by Rock types or Rotom-W. Greninja is frail and susceptible to priority. Aegislash is a bit more iffy, but a lack of recovery means that it will get worn down. Even Mega Pinsir has its weaknesses, being SR and a weakness to a crap ton of common offensive types.

Once the obvious broken mons are gone, the metagame should look a lot more diverse.

Mega Banette is outclassed by Sableye.
As many others have stated, it's a HO metagame right now because bans still need to be made for other teams to emerge.
I have been doing well tho with a team that supports and syringes with my 2-3 HO pokemon.

Imagine how HO the Wi-fi metagame is tho.

I have been using a shedinja as a lead for a bit now.
Got to say that it is quite fun to play around with and usually gets me 1-2 kills.

HO is at the top (along with bulky offensive variants) but predictable it is not. Most of it is simply who has a team more built to beat the opponent's team and then has a few lures that you wouldn't quite see anywhere lower. A lot of kangaskhans, too... most of them played well. If you don't have a lucario, charizard, or kan (and even charizard is sketchy), you're doing something wrong.

I've now done both, being up at the top and just kind of hanging around in the 1800-1900 area, and I kind of do prefer to just play in the 1800-1900 area with really well built teams. A, they're much more unique and B, it doesn't take 20 minutes to find a game. But for the strategy part, yeah I can say that the top group really knows what they're doing, but I feel like some of the upper area has just gotten their on the shoulders of some insanely OP garbage. Whether the strategies to win are far better or Sorry Duggy just knows what his team needs to do to win, I don't know. Haven't gotten to play him yet and it is an opportunity I'm not looking forward to.
I was a bit scrubby with my wording and I don't mean to berate or belittle the people who are on the top since they -are- on the top for the reason. For that I apologize.

However I think Ajwf explained my point much better. I feel that if I ever got into simulation battling I'd never want to reach that particular top echelon ladder that's literally just full of OP pokemon until the metagame balanced itself out. :x

Anywho, while I definatley feel there's a bias, I kinda view it more as a "ugh could u not" more than "ew this ruins the game"

Mega Banette is outclassed by Sableye.
As many others have stated, it's a HO metagame right now because bans still need to be made for other teams to emerge.
I have been doing well tho with a team that supports and syringes with my 2-3 HO pokemon.

Imagine how HO the Wi-fi metagame is tho.
I went in with a Dunsparce joke team cause i haven't bred my planned team yet (i won't actually finish until pokebank) and i was stunned about how all three teams i faced were so HO i have to use a text diagram to show it

The scale of playstyle:
Stall------------Semi-Stall-------------Balance------------BO-----------HO-------------Wi-Fi HO
Stally Right wing <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Offensive left wing

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I went in with a Dunsparce joke team cause i haven't bred my planned team yet (i won't actually finish until pokebank) and i was stunned about how all three teams i faced were so HO i have to use a text diagram to show it

The scale of playstyle:
Stall------------Semi-Stall-------------Balance------------BO-----------HO-------------Wi-Fi HO
Stally Right wing <<<<<<<<<<<<<<|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Offensive left wing

Showdown metagame

Stall (RIP)
------------------------------------------------------------------"XY Stall"---Semi-Stall--Balance-BO-HO
Stally Right wing <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Offensive left win

I also expect, that a lot of things that are making stall difficult, M-Lucario, Genesect, and suchlike, will at least be suspected (M-Khan will be banned any day now). The power creep is very noticeable though, and because of the new mechanic changes like Defog, the definition of stall might well change. The Stall-thread mentions an "offensive stall" playstyle which recalls more of an anti-metagame style that tanks everything.

Speaking of wi-fi, anyone remember that pandaemonium of a flamewar thread about Lv.50 on Showdown, where people were talking about the HO power creep that comes with it? Looking back at it, it's funny that it would seem to have happened either way.

I don't know why my post was deleted, as I said I was stating wifi is more offensive than Pre bank Showdown but w.e.
Anyways yeah, when the Metagame settles I can see Stall teams actually being used and Defensive teams will likely see more usage to.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Besides the obvious threats, many good offensive mons are easily countered. Talonflame hates SR and is countered by Rock types or Rotom-W. Greninja is frail and susceptible to priority. Aegislash is a bit more iffy, but a lack of recovery means that it will get worn down. Even Mega Pinsir has its weaknesses, being SR and a weakness to a crap ton of common offensive types.

Once the obvious broken mons are gone, the metagame should look a lot more diverse.
Well no shit that good offensive mons have counters. Pretty much everything has some counter or really good check if you try to theorymon enough. However, pokemon is a game of SIX, and even if you can counter one, extenuating circumstances such as support or momentum can make defensively countering a combination of threats extremely hard, if not outright impossible.

Honestly, I'm gonna be blunt. It's way too early in the generation to start making stall teams. That'd be like making one during the Swift Swim meta before Aldaron's Proposal came out. I've seen one statement repeated throughout these forums and I'm going to echo it because I find it to be very true: "Stall teams thrive much more when metagames settle down". Wait for the bans on Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, and Genesect (possibly?) before attempting to create the ultimate bulwark of a team. In the meantime, try experimenting with as many of both offensive and defensive pokemon alike. Anybody who limits their selection of Pokemon based on tiering/usage is only limiting themselves.

Don't worry, there will be variety in teams soon enough. People are still "learning" this generation.

Just like when an experienced fighting game player comes to a new scene (For example, Street Fighter 4 to Marvel 3) they usually don't pick up the most complex character at first (no matter how good that said character is). They take time to learn the mechanics of the game, learn common match-ups,and learn to read the opponent in this new environment. Same with the players in X and Y, People will try new things once they become comfortable with their "first" team.

I think Knock Off will play a part in this so-called "offensive bias" when players learn to make use of it.

Eviolite mons getting their Eviolite knocked off off them means death sentence. Gliscor/Poison Heal Breloom getting its Toxic Orb knocked out is the same. Assault Vest users getting their Ass. Vest knocked off immediately reduces their defensive potential.

Although the same can be said for Offensive teams, Offensive teams generally make better use of Knock Off since it inherently is an attacking move.

I do think laddering with offense is easier because the games are quicker, but I think they take a lot more prediction as well. With stall, you don't need to take many risks. The only things you really have to really think about are whether you should sacrifice this poke or not. But other than that, your moves should be automatic. Genesect comes in, you go to Heatran. Greninja comes in, you go to Florges. It's pretty simple to figure out what to do.

With offense, an early switch that seems harmless can affect the game 4-5 turns later in ways that I didn't expect and cost me the game. Not saying stall is easier because of this, but I think it takes a lot more careful play for an offensive team. Stall can make the safe choices and come out on top (unless you're against M Luc or M Kanga, in which case there's no safe choice).
Ehhhh, this is probably the biggest trap the stall player actually needs to avoid if anything. You might get by your run-of-the-mill player by "not taking risks" and playing on autopilot. But, that's the quickest way to die against a skilled offensive player, who knows the matchups, what things need to be KO'd for their sweeper(s) to sweep and what possible predictions need to be made.

Regarding the topic, anything I say would just be a repeat of what other people have said. Although I also think the OP should go play more games because I've seen all those Pokémon at least once and I haven't even played that many games. People do care way too much about W-L ratio though. It's a game....no, scratch that, it's Pokémon for crying out loud. Don't be afraid to analyze the metagame and try new things that could potentially make an impact. I've found stall to be possible even in this meta. I'm too afraid to say that it's actually great though. More offensive threats getting the boot to Ubers (M-Khan needs to go....maybe M-Luke too) would help defensive teams.

Ehhhh, this is probably the biggest trap the stall player actually needs to avoid if anything. You might get by your run-of-the-mill player by "not taking risks" and playing on autopilot. But, that's the quickest way to die against a skilled offensive player, who knows the matchups, what things need to be KO'd for their sweeper(s) to sweep and what possible predictions need to be made.
I don't mean you play on autopilot, but your goal is to get safe switches and take as little damage as possible. But we're saying the same thing as far as offense: your predictions matter a whole lot more. With a stall team you shouldn't have to make as many high risk predictions because your goal is to drag out the game, and the longer it goes on the more it is in your favor.

I don't mean you play on autopilot, but your goal is to get safe switches and take as little damage as possible. But we're saying the same thing as far as offense: your predictions matter a whole lot more. With a stall team you shouldn't have to make as many high risk predictions because your goal is to drag out the game, and the longer it goes on the more it is in your favor.
I mean, if you're running safe switch on stall, you literally give away the win every time because everyone knows what the safe switch is. I personally judge how long I can make a safe switch and then throw wrenches in my patterns. Sure, you can auto-pilot, but that doesn't get a stall player to be anything better then average. Prediction is everything in stall, and to play at the utmost high tier of stall (which this gen probably isn't quite that high yet), you need to be predicting and evaluating risk/reward on every move. It is difficult to do right every turn, hence the belief in just safe-playing games.

As much as I want to agree with this, nothing good can come from Karenism cropping up on Smogon.
I've made teams with stuff like Ledian before, and they work against dumb ladderers. Also lower tiers are the places to be marveling at stuff like Moltres and stuff. Or Smogon ASB.

Also @OP: I've seen countless Gourgeist and about 30 Mandibuzz (those Mandibuzz were in the past couple weeks). Slowbro is good but no one is using it because the hype is still strong. Mega Banette and Mega Alakazam aren't seen because they suck.

The reason people use this much Greninja or Aegislash is because of hype, partially. Once everything settles down you'll find that Greninja is good but not dominating, there are lots of ways around Aegislash, Talonflame is easy to counter, and Mega Kangaskhan will be Uber soon anyways.

Also Megas like Lucario, Pinsir, Absol, etc. ruin defensive teams.

And Mega Banette just dies to Mega Kangaskhan's Crunch, so in what way is it a better check than Sableye, other than maybe being better at Destiny Bond?

Just because I got curious, I decided to bring up the calculator to see how the two Megas with arguably the most killing power atm, fair against Mega Aggron, which is one of the (arguably) best Physical Walls in the game.

Jolly +2 252 Atk Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. Brave 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Aggron: 360-426 (104.6 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good lord. Mega Aggron has a 230 Defense Stat, in this scenario, a Defense helping nature and full HP/Def Ev's and Filter, and it still get's OHKO'ed. Now for Mega Kanga, who can easily get to +2 via PuP:

Jolly +2 252 Atk Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. Brave 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Aggron: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While not as devastating as Mega Lucario, that's still some really nice damage for MKang given how much of a Defensive behemoth MAggron is, and thus MAggron can't switch in safely, so, what I'm getting at is, if MAggron cant take these two on, with such colossal Defenses, it's gonna be hard for Stall to survive, hence the favor for Offense, and Mega Aggron is royally screwed if it runs into a Special Oriented Mega Lucario.

Edit: I derped and forgot to add the abilities to the calculator here's the correct ones:
+2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 202-238 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 360-426
(104.6 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Still very impressive damage even after Filter was added.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the lack of new defensive/supportive talents is due to the high usage of offensive threats capable of supporting a team. Gengar ,for example, was accused to be to good for OU under a Support Characteristic but, it was still obvious that even if he took out the counters of your sweeper he can still be able to hammer your team with his naturally large Special Attack or sacrifice itself with Destiny Bond. Other examples are Rotom-H and W, who can absorb status, spread status and maintain momentum with Volt Switch. Landorus-T and Gyarados can come in and decrease a Physical Sweeper's attack stat with Intimidate. Likewise, Tyranitar can come in with sandstorm and raise a Pokemon's Special Defense , aid with Pursuit trapping and set-up Stealth Rocks. The Introduction of Assault Vest gives dedicated Special walls some competition for a slot on a team.

Sadly, I think dedicated walls and supports are going to have a hard to finding themselves a slot for a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)