The Rise of the Tyrant [OU RMT]

Intro
Hello, everybody I am CDizzle23 and I have been playing Pokemon competitively for about 10 months now. I have been lurking around Smogon for about the same amount of time, but I have just recently joined in September. So yea that is enough about me on to the team! I have made lots of teams, but they usually end up mediocre. I decided to make a new team and put lots of thought in it and so far it has fared really well. I have a record of 23 and 7 which is really good for me, but of course that is not good enough and I want a 100% win ratio. That is where you guys come in.

Team Building Process
So I decided to base my team around my favorite Pokemon which is also one of the most powerful and threatening Pokemon in the ou metagame. This was no other than the Tyrant himself: Tyranitar.

After I had a central Pokemon I had to look at what Tyranitar's biggest counter was. It was the infamous red metal bug that everyone loves to hate: Scizor. So I new that Scizor needed to be gone in order for T-tar to sweep. There was only one pokemon that could get this done easy and quick: Magnezone

Ok so now had T-tars biggest counter, countered[if that makes any sense].
Now I need a pokemon to draw in scizor as well as other steel types. I also need something that can scout, trap, and revenge kill. Only the #1 most used pokemon can do that. And it hurts me to say this, I needed him: Scizor

By this team I noticed that I had a weakness to fire, ground, water, and fighting. I also wanted another set-up sweeper. I also wanted something that could set up on as well as defeat the bulky grounds that troubled T-tar and could counter Scizor if magnezone somehow died. So I decided on my second favorite pokemon ever and another top tier threat: Gyarados

Next I wanted another revenge killer that could dish out attacks on the special side. I also noticed that my team was dragon-less which was a bad.
I knew I wanted another ground imunity and another fighting resist. This pokemon also had to be able to revenge kill ou's top threats this could only be the psychic dragon: Latias

Ok so now I had a solid team that was able to check various threats and sweep at any given moment. It was time for me to pick a lead. It had to have stealth rock, be able to stop leads from setting up, and I wanted it to stay alive and add some more defense to this team. Also as an added bonus this guy greatly benefited form the sandstorm created by T-tar this was the famous luke and Heracross counter: Gliscor

And there you have it my most successful team!
Changes Will Be in RED[Scizor is black]

My Team In-Depth
The Sand Scorpion

Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil
Jolly(+spe,-spA) 252hp/40def/216spe
~Earquake
~roost
~stealth rock
~taunt/U-turn

Why did I chose it? I chose Gliscor because it is a great lead in today's OU metagame. It has the ability to set up the precious rocks and stop some of the most popular leads from accomplishing their goal. I also love how he as the ability to survive and come back and still wall plenty of things. It is fast, bulky and has a reliable recovery move and in my mind that is the perfect lead.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? He sets up those valuable rocks that are needed on every offensive team. He also brings a fighting and ground resistance/immunity that T-tar needs.
Other: I am not sure what I should have in the last slot. Taunt prevents so many leads from setting up, but it would be nice to break sashes with U-turn. Also, I don't really like earthquake as my only attacking move.

The Weird Magnet Thing

Magnezone@Leftovers
Magnet Pull
Naive(+spe,-spD) 76hp/252spA/180spe
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power [ice]
~Substitute
~Explosion
Why did I chose it? This one is simple, I chose zone because I needed to eliminate scizor in order for T-tar to sweep. It is also nice to have some speed and explosion. It can also act as a makeshift SD luke counter because it out speeds and OHKO's Luke.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? Eliminates Scizor and can explode on certain threats.

Other: Should I use a different set because it sucks to be locked in a move and then set up on.
The Metal Bug

Scizor@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant(+atk,-spA) 160hp/176atk/168spD/4spe
~Bullet Punch
~U-turn
~Pursuit
~Superpower
Why did I chose it? Even though I am not a big of Scizor since it became so overused and over abused, but it just works so well. Scizor does so many things, he revenge kills, he scouts, and he traps all while having plenty bulk.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? Revenge Kills and Traps threatening pokemon.

Other: Should I use the standard CB scizor or should I keep this set. I like the Bulk and freedom to roost and switch moves, but maybe more power would prove more useful.
The Psychic Dragon

Latias@Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid(+spe,-atk) 4hp/252spA/252spe
~Draco Meteor
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Trick
Why did I chose it? I chose latias because of her ability to check and kill so many common threats. Also if I didn't have her gyarados and salamence could run through my team if they got just one Dragon dance.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? Latias is kind of the glue of this team because she revenges so many common Pokemon.
Other: I am not sure what to put in the last slot. I've never used trick out of all the times I've had it on the set. ice beam still allows me to revenge kill mences, but it doesn't lower my special attack.
The Sea Serpent

Gyarados@leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant(+atk,-Spe) 156hp/72atk/96def/184spe
~Waterfall
~Return
~Dragon Dance
~Taunt
Why did I chose it? I chose Gyarados because I like to have at least to set-up sweepers on my team and Gyara just fit so well. He also brought some bulk to the team which I like. I also like how Gyara can set up at any stage of the game and run through my opponents team.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? Gyarados really softens up my opponents team. The downside to this is sometimes gyara runs through my opponents entire team and T-tar doesn't see any action.
Other: Nothing really
The Tyrant

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Sand Stream
Jolly(+spe,-spA) 4hp/252atk/252spe
~Crunch
~Earthquake
~Dragon Dance
~Taunt
Why did I chose it? I chose T-tar for a couple of reasons. The first is because he is my all time favorite pokemon. The second reason is because he has the ability to run through teams by himself if properly set up. The third reason is because he is completely unstoppable with the right support and when set up.
Contribution(s) to T-Tar? Sweeping every pokemon in the game when set up.
Other: I just wanted to talk about the set. After using gyara on every single one of my teams I realized that taunt is one of the biggest things that makes him so incredibly hard to stop. After realizing this I noticed that T-tar was able to learn taunt. This lets him avoid crippling status and set up on things that would normally just roar/whirlwind him away.

One Last Look

Nice team CDizzle23
I am a fan of gliscor leads myself and I advice you should go with U-turn over taunt because it screws over azelf and other leads that gliscor cant beat speed with Like Aero and turn into the appropriate counter.

Nice checks on common threats with your team. I like T-tar too but sadly, I don't know how to help you stop Gyra from stealing the spot light but a win is a win right?

And on a side note, is your team name based on the song by Arch Enemy? If so nice to meet a fellow fan of metal!

Hope my input helped you some!

Thanks for the rate and I was joking around when I said he was stealin' the show.

Come on smogon, i need more rates!

On Gliscor, I would go with U-Turn because it can scout your opponent, and in some cases help you get in Tyranitar and start setting up. Also, your team is not that weak to Stealth Rock that you need to taunt it. Gyarados won't mind it that much once he starts setting up. One thing that you might like is using Bounce over Return, if you want the extra turn of leftovers. It still gives you the amazing coverage, a chance of paralysis which could net you another DD, and a secondary STAB that you can use against Celebi and some bulkier waters.

On Latias, just stick with Trick. Ice Beam is very Redundant when you already have Draco Meteor and Thunderbolt.

Other than that, you have your weaknesses fairly well covered, and I can't see anything that bad. If I do, I'll edit it in.

You have a good team, nice synergy and awesome Lucario counter. Although I suggest changing LO Scizor > CB Scizor. Use the given set below with these EV's. 160 HP/ 180 Atk/ 168 SpD/ with an Adamant Nature. Difference Between LO Scizor(yours) and CB Scizor. LO is weaker, while CB is stronger. Choice Band Scizor allows you to scout with U-Turn(Early Game) with far more damage compared to Life Orb Scizor. Sweep with Bullet Punch, and trap pokemons with greater damage. So I suggest Choice Band Scizor.

Also 3 pokemon's in your team are Choiced(If your going for what I suggested), meaning 3 of your pokemons are going to be locked in a single move. I agree that revenge killing is nice but Life Orb Latias is better, trust me. Since Latias is already fast she can still outspeed many pokemons you can use Life Orb. You fear DDmence? Is that why your Latias is Scarfed? feh. Your opponent will fear you. You switch Latias on Salamence and they'll probably be thinking."This is Scarfed, I'll switch out." Surprise factor. Also, Life Orb allows you to switch attacks and do more damage. When your opponent finds that your Latias isn't Scarfed they'll switch again Salamence meaning it's HP will be at 50%. Scizor can switch in and finish with Bullet Punch. Hope these changes helped! Good Luck!!

Scizor@Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV: 160 HP/ 180 Atk/ 168 SpD/
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

EDIT: What? this set ain't bulky? lol..

@djxo9 bounce and taunt dont go together so well the parahax is nice but in my experiences return is better.

@woooshoo i tested the standard cb scizor but i enjoyed the extra bulk and the ability to roost and switch moves and i dont like having more than 2 choice users.also about the life orb latias if my oponent sees i have i life orb my time is hoplessly swept same thing with gyara except they resist bullet punch and they often carry lefties so it is harder to revenge with scizor.

Hello!

Solid team but I think I can make a few suggestions. I think two Choice Scarfers is kind of redundant, Latias is definitely a solid choice but Magnezone's set seems a bit pointless. I suggest you change the set to the sub version.

Magnezone@ Leftovers
Naive: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Thunderbolt/ Subsitute/ Hidden Power {Ice/Grass}/ Explosion

This set will almost always give you a free sub, while still allowing you to net kills on Scizor, Jirachi, etc.. and giving you an excellent way of taking out SkarmBliss. You bring out Magnezone on Skarmory, either take out Skarmory with Thunderbolt or if they switch out using Shed Shell to Blissey. You simply go BOOM! This will also allow you take out more threats without having to switch out and back in. Although you say that Magnezone gives you a Lucario counter, you already have Gliscor so that's pretty much irrelevant.

On Gliscor, although I would usually suggest Taunt over U-Turn, I would go with U-Turn for a couple of reasons. Firstly you already have 2 Taunters, a Tricker, and Magnezone. Forrtress will be obviously easy to handle with Magnezone and others. Secondly U-turn will give you more ways of damaging Azelf and co.

As for Scizor I see that in the contributions Scizor's job is to trap and revenge threats while without Choice Band or Swords Dance he has an extreme lack of power. Salamence & Rotom-A will not be KOd very easy and that pretty much limits Scizor's job. I would defiantly go with CB Scizor with a SpD EV spread.

Scizor@ Choice Band
Adamant: 160 HP/ 176 Atk/ 168 SpD/ 4 Spe
Bullet Punch/ Pursuit/ U-turn/ Superpower

This set is very good at allowing you to take Surfs, Draco Meteors, Thunderbolts and to fire back with the appropriate move. This will also allow you to take out Salamence (Without Intimidate,) Latias, Starmie, Cresselia, and many others while keeping nice bulk.

Hope I helped, Good Luck!

Hi,

Nice team! I think a lot of things have already covered by other raters, so I don't have that much to say, but I have some things to point out. I agree to keep Latias as a primary revenge killer, because in my opinion it is the best in the game, one of the only reliable counters to DD Salamence and DD Gyarados. It also serves as Pursuit bait, which also aids in giving Tyranitar a free turn of set-up. Its probably one of the best combinations in the game.

I agree with Taang on the Magnezone suggestion, but I think you should really go for Hidden Power Grass, its your only grass move on the team and without it you'll have a lot of trouble with Swampert. Another option would be to give Latias Grass Knot, but I wouldn't recommend it. Definitely go with Trick too on Latias, you won't really be needing Ice beam as you'll take out dragon types just fine with Draco Meteor. If you want something without losing the stat drop, use Dragon Pulse instead.

I suggest Taunt on Gliscor, though. Scizor has U-turn already, and can serve as your primary scouter. Stealth Rock really hurts Gyarados, taking of 1/4 of its HP, and the rest of your team isn't going to like it much. Gliscor is one of the best taunters around, and I think you should take advantage of one of its best moves.

gl with the team.

I would suggest replacing return for ice fang as that gyra can't do much to dragons but ice fang takes out all of them. hope this helps. Overall your team is pretty good though.

I think the team's not bad, but I'm not sure how much of your plan you can pull off. There's more than just steels who can beat DD Tar. You'll therefore need more than just maggy to pull off a DD Tar sweep. Hippowdon in particular will be your biggest obstacle in getting a DD Tar sweep off as you have no means of trap killing it.

The easiest way to solve this problem would be to give Tar aqua tail, as you would then 2HKO Hippow. I'm not sure if you need to change it to adamant though in order to do enough damage. If you don't like the loss of speed, just give it a LO. Giving it stone edge would probably be a good idea too as bulky gyara can come in on your tar without much problems and scare it off. You don't have a ghost, so if you're up against stall they can spin away your SR without too much trouble. In short, you should run this set:

Tyranitar @ Life Orb/Lefties
Jolly/Adamant Nature
252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
-Aqua Tail
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt

When deciding on the nature and item, just make sure aqua tail 2hko's hippow. I don't think taunt is necessary for this set simply as a countermeasure against phazers as you have maggy for skarm and stone edge for gyara. Rotom can burn you though as long as it has enough HP. Crunch doesn't do enough, so maybe that's not such a bad idea.

The only other thing I could think of is to replace latias as personally, I do not like scarfed pursuit bait. It's simply too easy for your opponent to take out your check to set up sweepers. However, trick is very useful against stall, when flygon is not, so it's your call.

There are alternative changes you can make to this team to make it more stable but that would involve changing your DD T-tar to a CB Tar. Since this team is built around the DD set, I won't bother with that.

Good luck man ;)

hi

First off, Gliscor. Standard and good. I would like to suggest an alternative EV spread that is much better imo. Use 230 Spe EVs on Gliscor to outspeed other Leaf Gliscors so you can setup Stealth Rock before they get the chance to taunt you. Also, try out 80 Attack EVs as they allow you to always 2HKO Metagross, a very common lead in today's metagame. In short, it should look like this: 198 HP / 80 Atk / 230 Spe.

Now I noticed you aren't really sure about wether to use Taunt or U-Turn. Your team doesn't have any problems with Stall oriented teams as you have Trick on Latias and Taunt on other members of your team, that's why I'd suggest you use U-Turn as that would allow you to scout and is a very useful move in general. Either way, both moves are good.

Magnezone. Some people rely on Swampert to check DD Tyranitar and your team doesn't seem to have an easy time with it. I would try out HP Grass instead of Ice because HP Ice will only be helpful against Salamence and dragon who are faster anyway and can hit Magnezone with a x4 SE Earthquake.

I noticed Gyarados has Return, I am against this. Normal + Water provides awesome coverage and not many Pokemon resist this combination but Normal doesn't hit anything for SE damage and can give free switch-in to all those steel types. Return really isn't something you should use on a Pokemon like Gyarados as he has better options Earthquake, Stone Edge and Bounce. Bounce works great on a Bulky Gyara like this one because it also has Leftovers. Test all three moves and decide wich one suits you better.

I wouldn't use Taunt on Tyranitar if I were you . Tyranitar is pretty damn slow to utilise it to it's full potential. You metion in your description that Taunt is helpful against Whilrwinders and Roar users but the fact is the only thing that Taunt is helpful against is Skarmory but Magnezone already decimates it with a STAB SE Thunderbolt. In this slot I would advise you to try out Stone Edge as Crunch and Earthquake don't go really well together since Ground + Dark doesn't provide good coverage. Gyarados isa huge threat to this team if your Latias goes down wich is very likely to happen considering the fact you have Draco Meteor in your moveset and Latias is Pursuit Bait. Gyarados with the help of Intimidate and his Earthquake immunity can come in on Tyranitar and setup a DD or attack with a SE Waterfall. To avoid this situation, use Stone Edge. The secondary STAB and enormous power it provides is really appealing too. Also, woth with all those Rotom-A running around, use Lum Berry as an item to avoid getting Burned wich halves your attack and ends your potential sweep. Toxic or Paralyses could also be fatal for Tyranitar's sweep and Lum Berry assures that Tyranitar doesn't get statused.

Good Luck.

hi

First off, Gliscor. Standard and good. I would like to suggest an alternative EV spread that is much better imo. Use 230 Spe EVs on Gliscor to outspeed other Leaf Gliscors so you can setup Stealth Rock before they get the chance to taunt you. Also, try out 80 Attack EVs as they allow you to always 2HKO Metagross, a very common lead in today's metagame. In short, it should look like this: 198 HP / 80 Atk / 230 Spe.

Now I noticed you aren't really sure about wether to use Taunt or U-Turn. Your team doesn't have any problems with Stall oriented teams as you have Trick on Latias and Taunt on other members of your team, that's why I'd suggest you use U-Turn as that would allow you to scout and is a very useful move in general. Either way, both moves are good.

Magnezone. Some people rely on Swampert to check DD Tyranitar and your team doesn't seem to have an easy time with it. I would try out HP Grass instead of Ice because HP Ice will only be helpful against Salamence and dragon who are faster anyway and can hit Magnezone with a x4 SE Earthquake.

I noticed Gyarados has Return, I am against this. Normal + Water provides awesome coverage and not many Pokemon resist this combination but Normal doesn't hit anything for SE damage and can give free switch-in to all those steel types. Return really isn't something you should use on a Pokemon like Gyarados as he has better options Earthquake, Stone Edge and Bounce. Bounce works great on a Bulky Gyara like this one because it also has Leftovers. Test all three moves and decide wich one suits you better.

I wouldn't use Taunt on Tyranitar if I were you . Tyranitar is pretty damn slow to utilise it to it's full potential. You metion in your description that Taunt is helpful against Whilrwinders and Roar users but the fact is the only thing that Taunt is helpful against is Skarmory but Magnezone already decimates it with a STAB SE Thunderbolt. In this slot I would advise you to try out Stone Edge as Crunch and Earthquake don't go really well together since Ground + Dark doesn't provide good coverage. Gyarados isa huge threat to this team if your Latias goes down wich is very likely to happen considering the fact you have Draco Meteor in your moveset and Latias is Pursuit Bait. Gyarados with the help of Intimidate and his Earthquake immunity can come in on Tyranitar and setup a DD or attack with a SE Waterfall. To avoid this situation, use Stone Edge. The secondary STAB and enormous power it provides is really appealing too. Also, woth with all those Rotom-A running around, use Lum Berry as an item to avoid getting Burned wich halves your attack and ends your potential sweep. Toxic or Paralyses could also be fatal for Tyranitar's sweep and Lum Berry assures that Tyranitar doesn't get statused.

Good Luck.
Hey thanks for the rate i have been testing all your suggestions, Gliscor has been working out great, magnezone has worked ok, but the lum berry and t-tar moveset havn't been working that well.Some of my sweeps were ended because a miss on one of my moves losing me the game. There have also been many times i missed taunt so i am going to stay with the current moveset for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)