The Role of The OU Council and Suspect Testing

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
if the discord discussion in #spl shows us anything, it's time to re-think how we approach suspect testing and the role the ou council should play in the tiering process. i will try to make this short, mostly in point-by-point format as something (imo obviously) needs to be done quickly about this issue. this thread will also function as a partial response to mannat's IS post about tiering philosophy.

what should our tiering philosophy be?

this section is not an attempt to emulate smogon's objectives of tiering, but moreso a response to the concern of users that tiering has become politicized. by the politicization of tiering, i mean that public relations has superseded our process in the most competitive tiering method possible.

1. tiering should be conducted by the 'best-suited' players, preferably in the form of a council. people who do not actively play, actively offer theory in PR/IS, and do not actively meet a set criteria should not have input in the tiering process.

2. public relations is secondary, if not completely irrelevant to the goal of smogon's competitive aspect. we should be indifferent to the public response of suspect tests, unless such a response comes from our own community.

3. tiering should essentially be a dictatorship of tournament players. there is no reason to pretend we are inferior to ladder heroes, or that they are entitled to a certain opinion.

4. requirements for discussion in tiering should be heightened. specifically, requirements for posting in PR should be heightened.

what should the ou council be?

1. the ou council should serve as a representational mechanism of the player base, not by vote or decree, but by general sentiment of the community in which it operates. in the past, i had argued that the ou council should be an authoritarian coalition of players which can essentially ignore the outside perspective of the community. i believed, in part, that suspect tests had become obsolete due to the decay in skill from those willing to participate in them. i do not believe this anymore. i instead believe that the ou council should be a proactive committee of members which serves the community's best interest at all times. the ou council by definition gets discretion in suspecting things, but should not be permitted to ignore community sentiment when it is expressed by a large percentage of players. there is no reason why the council should reject suspect tests nearly entirely for an almost 2-year period.

2. the ou council should be mandated to individually post each user's thoughts on a potential suspect when a problem pokemon/ability/item/mechanic reaches a certain threshold. their posts should explain why they agree to suspect, or disagree the suspecting of a subject in explicit detail. doesn't need to be long, doesn't need to be complex, just a simple explanation during the discussion process.

3. the latter point should not be a final say on whether a suspect should be held. if there is reasonable demand for a suspect test found in the playerbase, then that test should occur regardless. the reasoning behind the posting of user's thoughts is to explicate their opinion publicly; silence on behalf of tiering leaders does not help anybody.

4. re: perpetuation of the ou council: membership of the ou council should still be primarily conducted by the council, but it should also include community input. want to stop puppets from being placed on the council? open it up to the community. players should be nominated by the council (a set number should be determined), and then voted upon by a base in a similar manner to a suspect. just do ou reqs or something.

5. the ou council should not be authoritarian, and it should not be reactionary. the purpose of proactive tiering is to generate a stable, just metagame through the proactive effort of its members. a crisis should not have to occur before anything is done. s&m should be the shining example of how not to tier a metagame.

6. the ou council should not be indifferent to community sentiment.

7. the ou council's power should probably be reduced in general. this is just a corollary to past points, as indicated by the increased importance of community sentiment. i don't even know if the term 'ou leader' should exist anymore at this point. the council should guide the metagame and actively update the community on how the metagame is developing, and what issues they are discussing. have finch write up a 'minutes' report or something of that nature to describe what the council is currently thinking. then, open up those minutes to discussion in PR. this prevents the council from being reactionary, and presents more opportunity of the community to engage.

what should the suspect process be?

1. re: liberality of suspect tests: the suspect testing process should not be entirely liberal, as i believe that community sentiment has sometimes been drastically incorrect. however, i do believe that the lockdown of suspect testing has been inimical to the development of the metagame as of late. suspect tests should not occur in the same rate that lowers tiers enjoy, but should be brought about after a minimal threshold for public opinion has been reached. there is such a thing as too liberal testing, as the council was created as a measure to prevent incorrect tiering decisions made on a whim. however, the infrequency of suspect tests in the last gen is very worrying., when obvious problems exist within the metagame.

2. re: community input: the tournament community should receive priority in suspect testing matters. not only are we organized, we are clearly better than the rest of the playerbase and have genuine interaction with the mechanisms behind tiering. public opinion is harder to quantify, but should also be used as a medium unto which suspect testing should be gauged off of. informal measures should be implemented into surveying the tournament community's input upon potential suspects, and vague analysis of the PS! playerbase should be used to support that notion. the community needs more input into when and how suspects will be brought about.

3. the criteria for which a suspect is brought about should be changed. most suspect tests result in bans, this is a fact that cannot be ignored. this brings up another issue: the council is only suspecting pokemon which it believes will be banned through suspect testing, or have a near 100% outcome. there is no longer much subjectivity in suspect testing, suspect testing has merely become a rubber-stamp in which the community must partake. decreasing the threshold for suspect tests would increase the number of tests, and introduce a more liberal framework under which suspect tests can be considered. the requirements for a suspect should still be high, but they should not be so high that the only possible outcome of a suspect is a pokemon's banning. reyscarface put this quite nicely: currently we are in a state where suspect tests are just illusions and performative practices on a foregone conclusion.

4. re: how do we decide how much community input is enough to warrant a suspect?: not sure how this can, or will be quantified at the moment. aside from voting on suspects, the process of testing on smogon has always been one of sentiment, not referendum. not tiering leader can know the exact % of a community which wants something banned, as not all the capable members will participate in its suspect, nor be present for initial discussions. for every potential suspect pokemon, a thread should be made tagging all recent tournament players (conducted in a similar manner to how old gen votes work, in which the voting pool comes from tour, spl, wcop, etc) and ask for their input on the potential suspect. there is no reason for suspect tests to be so abstract and conservative when we possess obviously mechanisms for gauging some form of public opinion. who cares about the public playerbase for the time being, they're pretty irrelevant in this phase anyway.

zing

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
i'll be honest: I think a lot of this post fails to stand on its own and stands to benefit from association with the much stronger consensus generated on discord last night. much like your post in the state of sm thread, where you snuck in a treatise against z-moves in a thread that was focused on other things, this is neither an accurate reflection of nor attempt to engage with larger discussion; rather, it is a narrative of your own riding on the strength of the argument driven by public sentiment. as you and i and anyone else who has been here long enough knows, cram enough stuff into a post and accompany it with the correct sentiment and people are going to be forced to express approval, as inaction supports the status quo. just ignore the fact that there's some weird stuff about public relations and posting requirements that wasnt actually discussed last night or is at best ancillary to people's primary concerns, let alone reflective of any consensus formed amongst any significant group of people.

ultimately, this is the problem i had with the state of sm thread; as i said on discord, there were too many disparate points of discussion in the thread to reconcile into a single course of action. mannat for one said it was clearly about mawile / kartana, and i agree it should have been, but the thread featured so many people trying to push forth their own agendas that any impression of a community consensus became muddled. yes, it's become apparent in retrospect that there were issues worth examining above others, but at the time, everything was foisted to us on the same platter. i am not complaining about people voicing their concerns in general, but i am complaining about people hiding weaker arguments behind the stronger ones of others and demanding equal shares of consideration. i'm also not excusing the council's failure in acknowledging the most salient points of that thread, but at the same time, it serves nobody to disregard the fact that many arguments made in this thread and on this forum are directionless at best and in bad faith at worst, and using them as evidence of structural failure is a problem because it legitimizes them.

that said, it would be wrong of me to occupy this position and tell people the onus is on them to start affecting change. it is the responsibility of policymakers to provide clear avenues for problem resolution should multiple different threads spawn from a single issue. all this starts with me, and i am starting with this thread. rey said he was going to post a thread based on the aforementioned discord discussion; i still expect him to do so, but if not, i or someone else will. that thread will focus on the primary issues people have with our suspect test and process without overloading it with all the tangents brought up here. if that thread turns out to be a broader issue than what a thread ought to encompass, then we will even split it further. whatever is relevant from this thread will be cited in rey's thread, and whatever is not will be left to stand here on its own. it is then that we will see for ourselves if these remaining points are as worthwhile as implied by their inclusion in the op.

this is eo speaking, not the entire ou council.

Last edited:

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
2. public relations is secondary, if not completely irrelevant to the goal of smogon's competitive aspect. we should be indifferent to the public response of suspect tests, unless such a response comes from our own community.
This isn't going to happen, public relations are important for ensuring the long-term viability of our community.

3. tiering should essentially be a dictatorship of tournament players. there is no reason to pretend we are inferior to ladder heroes, or that they are entitled to a certain opinion.
No offense, but I feel like I've read this opinion a thousand times since the start of the new gen, and it is starting to grate on me. The tournament community already has outsized representation in decision making, as I believe they should. Speaking of, we have a very similar thread posted today by Rey. Given that it has more replies I would prefer if discussion of this nature was conducted there, but I'll leave this open in case someone wants to respond directly to me or Eo.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)