The sand tyrant and the metal mantis. (War story)

Hello, this is my third warstory (I think). Enjoy!

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Angel Diva sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Opponent sent out Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!

Ok, so my lead T-tar is up against a Smeargle. I never really needed Lum Berry on my lead T-tar, as status leads aren't as common anymore, but this matchup made me wish otherwise. Nevertheless, Tyranitar happens to be my least useful team member here, so I gladly let T-tar fall asleep.

Smeargle used Trick.
Smeargle obtained Focus Sash!
Tyranitar obtained Choice Scarf!
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Smeargle lost 100% of its health.
Smeargle hung on using its Focus Sash!
The sandstorm rages. Smeargle is buffetted by the sandstorm! Smeargle lost 0% of its health.
Opponent's Smeargle fainted.
6 - 5
---
Angel Diva: thanks
Opponent: lol

Ok, something totally unexpected. Tyranitar got a Choice Scarf instead of falling asleep. Can't really complain here, as the sandstorm gets the better of Smeargle, putting an end to his sleeper.

Opponent switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!

And in comes Zapdos. I'm pretty sure Tyranitar can take a Thunderbolt or two, so I decided to keep crunching on the electric birdie to weaken its health.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 30% of its health.
Zapdos used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 28% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Zapdos's leftovers restored its health a little! Zapdos restored 6% of its health.(will be removed for the rest of the battle)
---

And I am up against a bulky Zapdos. However, its Hidden Power (I assume Grass) does pretty pathetic damage to me, so I decided to keep crunching.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 32% of its health.
Zapdos's defence was lowered.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 32% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 39% of its health.
Opponent's Zapdos fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
6 - 4

Some small bit of hax turned Tyranitar's 4HKO on Zapdos into a 3HKO. Can't really complain. Tyranitar has been doing okay so far.

---
Opponent switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).

And in comes my opponent's bulky water. I figured that with a scarf, T-tar can still stay around for some revenge killing later on, so it's time to switch.
Since Togekiss takes special hits pretty well, I figured that it will be the best switch into Vappy, even if Vappy throws out an Ice Beam.

Angel Diva switched in Togekiss (lvl 100 Togekiss ?).
Vaporeon used Surf.
Togekiss lost 22% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss's leftovers restored its health a little! Togekiss restored 6% of its health.
Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little! Vaporeon restored 6% of its health. (both will be removed for the rest of the battle)
---

And it seems that Surf fails to do much to Togekiss. Unless Vappy has Haze or Roar, I see Vaporeon as setup bait now, so, it's setup time!

Togekiss used Nasty Plot.
Togekiss's special attack was sharply raised.
Vaporeon used Toxic.
Togekiss was badly poisoned!
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss is hurt by poison!
Togekiss lost 6% of its health.

An annoying, Toxic-stalling Vaporeon, which has now cut short my special sponge's lifespan. Normally, I hate this types of Vaporeon the most, but not today, as I can setup on Veppy with ease.

---
Vaporeon used Wish.
Vaporeon made a wish!
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss lost 12% of its health.

Vaporeon uses Wish as I get to plot a second time. Expecting Protect, I decide it's time to give those plot boosts to someone who can use it well.

---
Togekiss used Baton Pass.
Angel Diva switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Vaporeon used Surf.
Zapdos lost 35% of its health.
The wish came true!
The sandstorm rages.

Out comes Zapdos, ready to frighten Vaporeon away. Unfortunately, Vaporeon decided to surf instead of protect, causing my Zapdos to take some unwanted damage. Maybe Vaporeon has no protect.
Whatever it is, I expect Vaporeon to cower away in fear now, so I use Agility while my opponent switches. Hopefully there's no Blissey.

---
Opponent switched in Snorlax (lvl 100 Snorlax ?).
Zapdos used Agility.
Zapdos's speed was sharply raised.
The sandstorm rages.

Well, that's not Blissey, so I'm not too worried about Snorlax. With +4 Special Attack, I think Zapdos can easily beat Snorlax.

---
Zapdos used Thunderbolt.
Snorlax lost 90% of its health.
Zapdos lost 10% of its health.
Snorlax used Curse.
Snorlax's speed was lowered.
Snorlax's attack was raised.
Snorlax's defence was raised.
The sandstorm rages.

I fall short of a kill. However, I'm surprised that Snorlax didn't retaliate back with an attack. Curse isn't going to save him any moment now, so it's time to zap the fatty into his grave.

---
A critical hit!
Snorlax lost 10% of its health.
Opponent's Snorlax fainted.
Zapdos lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Zapdos is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Zapdos lost 6% of its health.
6 - 3

And down goes Snorlax. However, after killing Snorlax, I realize that with eating Vaporeon's surf, sandstorm, and life orb recoil, Zapdos is down to less than a quarter of his health.

---
Opponent switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's not very effective...
Zapdos lost 21% of its health.
Angel Diva's Zapdos fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
5 - 3

Without defense EVs, I guess Zapdos can't survive Scizor's Bullet Punch. RIP Zapdos, you did good by killing my opponent's special sponge!
Time to bring out my Scizor killer!

---
Angel Diva switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Opponent switched in Tranhea (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Rotom-h used Overheat.
Tranhea's Flash Fire raised its fire power!
The sandstorm rages.

I guess I should have expected a Heatran to show up on my Rotom's overheat. But no worries! I've got my own Heatran lying in wait to take the fire attack.

---
Angel Diva switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Tranhea used Fire Blast.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!
The sandstorm rages.

And in comes my Heatran. I assumed his Heatran is Choiced, so I shall let loose with a modest Specs-boosted Earth Power to smack the inevitable Vaporeon switch-in.

---
Tranhea used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 100% of its health.
Angel Diva's Heatran fainted.
Tranhea lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
4 - 3

Of course, that Heatran might not be choiced after all. Damnit, I expected to survive an unboosted Earth Power, but I guess his life orb made all the difference.
At this point, I'm almost ready to give up, seeing that Rotom can't kill Heatran, and everyone else dying to his boosted Fire Blast. Then, suddenly I remembered, Smeargle's gift to T-tar!

---
Angel Diva switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tranhea lost 100% of its health.
Opponent's Tranhea fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
4 - 2

And with the scarf from Smeargle, Tyranitar outspeeds Heatran, and shakes the ground, and Heatran fell into the ground with it. I expect Scizor to come in now to finish Tyranitar.

---
Angel Diva switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's not very effective...
Bronzong lost 17% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Bronzong's leftovers restored its health a little! Bronzong restored 6% of its health.(will be removed)

Bronzong more damage from Bullet Punch than expected, so I guess Scizor is banded. Although the battle has been going own very long, but I guess it's never too late to set up Stealth Rock!

---
Opponent switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).
Bronzong used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
Vaporeon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon lost 6% of its health.
Bronzong's leftovers restored its health a little!
Bronzong restored 6% of its health.

And in comes Vaporeon to stall my Bronzong. I forsee a potential, boring stall war, but I still don't know whether Vaporeon has Protect or not, so I don't blow up Bronzong yet. Instead, I decided to bring Togekiss back in to wear Vaporeon down.

---
Angel Diva switched in Togekiss (lvl 100 Togekiss ?).
Vaporeon used Surf.
Togekiss lost 25% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss lost 6% of its health.

And now starts the boring stall war. I forgot about Toxic, so I didn't notice Togekiss' health going down each time, despite me roosting.
To prevent you all from dying of boredom, I've decided to skip the next four turns. Basically, Vaporeon used Wish and Surf, while Togekiss Roosted every single turn as Toxic takes its toll on Kiss.

4 turns later...

---
Vaporeon used Protect.
Vaporeon protected itself!
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss lost 31% of its health.

And this is the first time I saw Vaporeon use Protect. At this point, I had given up on Togekiss, so I've decided to throw out a boosted Air Slash. Lucky for me, Vaporeon protected on my Nasty Plot.

---
Togekiss used Air Slash.
Vaporeon lost 50% of its health.
Vaporeon used Wish.
Vaporeon made a wish!
The sandstorm rages.
Togekiss lost 23% of its health.
Angel Diva's Togekiss fainted.
3 - 2

Togekiss went down fighting. I'm sick of Vaporeon, so I've decided to blow up on Vaporeon now. In goes my bell-bomb.

---
Angel Diva switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).
Vaporeon used Protect.
Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
The wish came true!
Vaporeon restored 50% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

Now that I know Vaporeon has Protect, I did not explode straight up. I throw out a useless Gyro Ball as Vaporeon wastes his protect. Next turn, Vaporeon dies!

---
Vaporeon used Surf.
A critical hit!
Bronzong lost 62% of its health.
Bronzong used Explosion.
Vaporeon lost 50% of its health.
Opponent's Vaporeon fainted.
Angel Diva's Bronzong fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
2 - 1

With a crit, Bronzong survives with 3% left, allowing the bell to explode on Vaporeon. Finally, I've gotten rid of that irritating mermaid-thingy.
With Scizor left, I prepare my oven ghost to cook the metal mantis' goose.

---
Angel Diva switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.

As I proceeded to type out "GG"...

Rotom-h used Overheat.
Rotom-h's attack missed!
Scizor used Pursuit.
A critical hit!
Rotom-h lost 94% of its health.
Angel Diva's Rotom-h fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
1 - 1

When it rains hax, it pours. Not only did Rotom miss Overheat, but Scizor scored a crit with Pursuit, turning my ghost oven into scrap metal.
However, by using a move to hit Rotom-h, Scizor is stuck with an ineffective move on Tyranitar. Which means, I can still win.

Angel Diva switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 87% of its health.
Opponent's Scizor fainted.
Angel Diva wins!

And Tyranitar's own fire move did not miss on Scizor, giving me the win!

Props:
-Tyranitar, for not being useless this battle. In fact, he killed four of my opponent's Pokeys this match!
-Agility Zapdos, for killing a special tank.
-Opponent's Heatran, for giving me a surprise.

Slops:
-Heatran and Rotom-h did absolutely nothing this match.
-Hax at the end.

Thanks for taking the time to read my war story. ;)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uhg . . . no offense, but in a warstory your opponent's play should be good too. I can't believe how the enemy wasted his first two pokemon. TTar's Special defense is so incredible, it's one of the best zapdos counters out there so I have no idea why he brought zappy in on ttar. Ridiculous, especially when he had Scizor and Vaporeon in the wings as well.

I pretty much stopped reading when he kept using hidden power with zappy and then let it die. Why? For those of you dumb enough to try and fight TTar with Zappy, keep in mind it has no business using Hidden Power on TTar unless it's Hidden Power Fighting.

HP Grass 70 x 2 (super effective) = 140

Thunderbolt 95 x 1.5 (STAB) = 142.5

-____-

The question is: who would switch Tyranitar out of Zapdos? Has Chou said, Zapdos has no business without HP Fighting

CB Scizor could just screw this ttar away with bullet punch/u-turn, because he was locked on pursuit. Vaporeon could have a free toxic, since he was locked on pursuit.

I could maybe see the zapdos switch-in if you alternated between hp and roost as the choiced t-tar couldn't use stone edge...but that's not what happened (plus vappy and scizor in the wings...).

Well formated and decently done, but as others said, make sure the match is good, not just one player. Don't give up, keep making warstories!

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Is those extra 2.5 points worst risking for a switch to a ground type?
The question is: Who would switch a ground type to Zapdos?
Almost all Zapdos carry hidden power Ice/Grass. Both are super effective on ground types..

Will, it's not a bad warstory, but not a 'wow' either. The formatting is good, but the battle itself isn't that great IMO.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Chou is kinda incorrect here. Pert makes a good switchin to a predicted TBolt, so HP Grass, whose reduction in power is negligible, would tag a predicted Swampert switchin. If I wanted to keep my Tar healthy, I would probably go to Pert to dodge the TBolt, Scizor to dodge the HP Grass/Toxic, and then bring Tar in on the Heat Wave.

The question is: Who would switch a ground type to Zapdos?
Almost all Zapdos carry hidden power Ice/Grass. Both are super effective on ground types..
Pert is neutral to Ice and takes little damage from most Zapdos. As SDS said, Pert is great because it can absorb the T-bolt and draw out Hidden Power for something else to come in that takes the HP easier than a T-bolt.

Tricking any Choice Item, even Choice Specs, onto a Tyranitar is terrible.

Snorlax Cursing in front of a +4 Zapdos was about the stupidest thing I ever saw. I wouldn't do that even if Snorlax had Blissey's ungodly SpD walling ability.

Rotom-h used Overheat.
Rotom-h's attack missed!
Scizor used Pursuit.
A critical hit!
Rotom-h lost 94% of its health.
Angel Diva's Rotom-h fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
This though, is about the funniest thing I've even seen in a battle, except maybe Air Slash missing twice in a row. (Against me, thankfully :))

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Chou is kinda incorrect here. Pert makes a good switchin to a predicted TBolt, so HP Grass, whose reduction in power is negligible, would tag a predicted Swampert switchin. If I wanted to keep my Tar healthy, I would probably go to Pert to dodge the TBolt, Scizor to dodge the HP Grass/Toxic, and then bring Tar in on the Heat Wave.
Revealing half my team to face one enemy who can do practically nothing to ttar? That's just stupid. Plus you could mis-predict in 3 different places.

People hail "prediction" as the definition of a great player, but the fact is that it's impossible to predict right every time, and that in prediction you're bound to lose based on luck alone once in a while. The mark of a great player is one who minimizes his own need to let it come down to that.

No matter how you look at it, bringing zapdos in on a ttar is just bad unless you know it can't hurt you (crunch is still ripping of some nice chunks) and you are going for status (usually t-wave).

My comment about hidden power was the LEAST important part of my post. The most important part is that the opponent using Zapdos to try to beat ttar was a waste, and stupid.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
But as Chou said, you can't really rely on that, unless your opponent is really stupid. Heat Wave and HP grass/ice are standard on Zapdos. If you're going to switch Scizor in to eat the HP Grass, the opponent is bound to know that you're going to switch in something that can easily shrug off the incoming Heat Wave, and will hence switch in/attack with something more powerful on the upcoming pokemon.

But hey, we're all discussing something irrelevant. Why would I switch in Zapdos on Tyranitar to start with?!

The story here isn't great imo. The battle was ripe with mistakes and really wierd switches. Seemed pretty ordinary.

Well, If THAT Scizor didnt get Locked up by a CB and had Bullet Punch, You could have been Screwed.

Do something more... DRAMATIC! I would like to read about a super last minute, down to the wire. For example, an explosion tr sandstorm team like mine gets thousands of last minute ttar sweeps, which would be pretty good reading.

Seems like a normal match to me.

5/10 but way better than my warstory. Somepictures would have been nice :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)