The Smeargle's Studio Writing Thread

Before I begin, let me just note
that I love your review of the poem that I wrote.
You've given me pointers and a sense of direction.
It's gotten me so excited that I have an...
unusual temptation to follow up with a response of my own.
Just don't expect perfection. :)

I agree that poetry should instill philosophy,
or at least a little lesson to bring your soul to its knees.
Perhaps I should craft a moment where I laughed with my friend?
I'd use imagery to envision the friendship once again.

Such as a moment in time where I looked upon the stars
and I smiled at Pluto from a planet so far.
I could reminisce a memory from when I was a kid
and how I used to look at Pluto because no one ever did.

Maybe I befriended Pluto because another knew her well.
There was more to the universe, and it was something they could tell.
I grew up singing songs about the nine planets in our system.
I covet the days of my childhood. Oh, how I miss them...

and you noted I should let the reader have a moment to themselves.
They should think about my poem and let my words try to delve
inside their thoughtful, brilliant minds, like little elves of wisdom.
Within my poem, full of clues, I leave advice because it's fun!

And when it's done, I'll leave more than a cutesy couplet to wrap up.
I'll clean up my little story so that my feelings are backed up.
I'll make it clear and disengage the clearly vague and simple proverbs.
I'll write a proper ending, as it's the most that I can offer.

Pluto is so small that astronomers decided to revoke its status.
Small people are often tossed aside, and it seems like I've just had it.
It reminds me of me, a shortie at twenty one years old,
and how people disrespect me and act so brash and bold.

The little guys are ignored, often excluded from the rest.
It's why out of all the planets I think Pluto is the best.
So the next time you see someone who looks or feels tiny
let them know that I care, and they can always talk to me.

Just come find me :)
The notion that little guys are ignore is farce.
Forgive this next poem... it may seem quiet harsh.

Before I begin, I must point out,
that its not the poem that makes me shout,
but rather the idea behind it.

With the media's divine intervention
All the little guys get their share of attention
Upon request they'd even get their own convention
From a COSI T-shirt to bullying ads, little guys always get their share of mentions.

The little guys do not face a devastating stigma
The little guys support remains an enigma
Why does Saturn not have his supporters?
Why does Lady Jupiter still lack good courters?

Who is there to stick up for the plain?
Who is there to brush a work horse's mane?
I say there is nil and nay!

Look around you, perhaps for just a moment?
When's the last time a normal build cat got a comment?
Why do people not subscribe to corporate CEOs?

Look around you, perhaps just a while?
When's the last time a man made the news for just running a mile?
Why do people only look for colorful bows?

Gaze upon your night!
Does anyone give Jupiter a fight?
Does anyone give Saturn so much as a thought?
I think not.

With Pluto's demotion, follows a scene
With a young man's promotion, not a soul seems keen.

The normal crowd's who needs the love.
Care us not for Robins, but for the Doves?

Lady Jupiter, please stop your crying.
Just accept that Pluto is never dying.
Saturn will stay your side.
Us usual folks, have nothing to hide
Just mediocrity to abide.

I stand for the the average, the ones oft missed.
Those who Lady Luck, has not kissed

But someday

You read my poem, and the moment you stepped into my dominion
you should've known that you were always entitled to your opinion.
My poem hits home, and it's just a fabricated tall tale.
It's simply an extension of my feelings, those of which can be frail.

I never intended to downplay the other planets.
I only professed my love for Pluto, so you can just can it!
I do respect your opinion, and while you have my kudos
the only thing I can say is...

Last edited:
You read my poem, and the moment you stepped into my dominion
you should've known that you were always entitled to your opinion.
My poem hits home, and it's just a fabricated tall tale.
It's simply an extension of my feelings, those of which can be frail.

I never intended to downplay the other planets.
I only professed my love for Pluto, so you can just can it!
I do respect your opinion, and while you have my kudos
the only thing I can say is...

Apologizes if my words seem rash.
Dictator clocks require my words to dash.
But the conversation shan't die here
lest this poem be written on my bier.

I'm quiet pleased you took the time
to write a reply to match mine.

but something lies that can not go unsaid
I commend you for taking the step into the streets
but if I didn't voice my true mind, my conscience'd have my head.
So listen careful, I will not repeat.

Displaying your feelings for all to see
while truly an act of courage
Is not something to just be

Be chaste with your intimate emotions
for the webs of masses will rip out the details
and surely you don't want this kind of commotion
We all want to dine on the entrails.

Tell us now! How did it come to exist?
Pluto's past remains in the mist.
And to answer the mystery behind this

We must see the truth
The one objective truth
Opinions to dust
Truth is the only trust
which we ever must
see

I've already explained my poem in full.
Implying it isn't objective is a load of bull.
If a battle is what you seek, then propose a premise!
Don't hide behind clocks and a distorted message.

I'd love to battle you. Just state your idea and I will find time to commit to a verbal brawl ;w;

Hey writers of Smeargle's Studio! I was able to get a Writing room approved for Pokemon Showdown today, so I'd like to extend an invitation to all of you.

To join our Writing room, type "'/join writing" into the textbox of any official room

It's a great place to share your works and get insight on your writing. This applies to all creative writing (all academic writing inquiries should be brought to Academics), including poetry, fiction, and any other expressive writing. We also cover articles, so if you're a freelance writer or would like to learn about becoming one be sure to visit us! We are particularly keen on R/R (also known as r/r), which is "review for review." For those who don't know, it's reviewing someone else's work in return for getting feedback on yours. We also use our cloud drive to host all of our works, as it makes commenting and archiving much easier for everyone.

Our cloud drive can be found here

I myself am a poet and article writer, so feel free to hit me up for R/R or collaborations. I can also teach people how to get started with freelance writing and basic article writing. Hope to see you guys there!

-Th!nkPi

Prologue of a Clockwork Orange-esque novella I'm writing, titled "Smile on Perils Past"

--------------------

Look back, and smile on perils past - Walter Scott, novelist

Stop that brute!

And what a great brute, and a great brute he was. Stark naked, eagle-spread pale skin contrasted and contorted by a red grin. Oh, that fucking grin, beaming like the carniverous sun, blackening what is right in this world. That grin is not right.

We caught and 'corted 'im, locked up in cold chains and heaving hearts, pumping blood and iron and broken fingernails, clawing yet never grasping, never quite. And his bastard smile quivered and flipped, will have melted and wispered by morning over. For now, it whispered by morning before, spreading cascading lies into hopeful ears and drooping hearts. And as the night tick-tocked along its merry way, hearts sprung up and heads cocked back, mood turned evil, frowns 'placed by lanterned smiles, and the revolution was a'startin'.

--------------------

Intentionally not giving away what the story is about but try to comprehend what this prologue is stating!

Badass Lugia

formerly Bacent
With summer coming up soon, here's a a fun little article I wrote combining Pokemon with good summer fun.

8 Pokemon You Want At Your Pool Party

Pool parties are great. No one is trying to argue with you there. But every time I go to one it just seems like something is missing. What's missing? That's right. Pokemon. Here are Pokemon that you should have at your pool party:

Squirtle
A pool party is all about having fun in the water, and Squirtle knows how to have fun in the water. Squirtle is a living water gun that you don't need to refill every five minutes. You'll win every fight with him on your side.

Charmander
You've got all of these burgers and hot dogs and you just realized that the propane tank on your grill is empty. What are you going to do? That's why you need Charmander around. He'll be able to cook up all of your assorted meats. I just hope you like them well done.

Onix
You might be wondering, why would you ever want an Onix at a pool party? Can it even fit in the pool? The reason you want Onix around is because it can do the best cannonballs. Sure, he might splash all of the water out of the entire pool, but it will be worth it to watch everyone get drenched.

Lombre
Having a fun pool party in today's modern world is all about including traditions from multiple cultures. That's why you should invite Lombre. He's sure to bring a ****** pinata filled with all sorts of tasty Mexican candy.

Pikachu
You have to invite Pikachu. Everyone loves Pikachu. He'll be the life of the party. I hope he tells that one joke that goes, “Pika pika. Pika. Pika... CHUUUUUUU!” LOLOL! It gets me every time. Just don't let him get too close to the water or you might be sending all of your guests home in body bags. ZZZZAP!

Cryogonal
The reason to invite Cryogonal is simple. Halfway through the party, you can use its ice beam to freeze the pool. Your summertime pool party just turned in to a summertime ice skating party! You'll be the coolest person in your neighborhood.

Jynx
No pool party is complete without hot babes hanging around the pool. Unfortunately for you, no hot babes want to get anywhere near your house. Luckily, you've got Jynx. Jynx is the hottest of all of the Pokemon. Something's better than nothing, bro.

Jigglypuff
Every good party needs some entertainment. Jigglypuff has the most beautiful voice in the entire Pokemon universe. Sure, Jigglypuff's song will put everyone to sleep, but what better way to end a pool party than a group nap?

So I couldn't find a poetry thread, so I guess I'm reviving this one.

In school we've just started a poetry unit, and I'd thought I'd share the two limericks and seven haikus I did. I actually liked doing the haikus more than I thought I would, and made many more than the required two.

Limericks
There once was a thing named Jar-Jar
Who came from a land very far far
To everyone's dismay
He sang every day
For his singing was not on par

Yes. I did one on Jar Jar Binks. I'm horrible, I needed something that rhymed, I realized Jar was a stupid dog/human name and made it him.

There is a sad polar bear
Who finds life hard to bear
He wept all night
But to his delight
He remembers tuna tastes fair

Depressed bear? I don't know, I was trying to help my friend with her haiku (she was cold so I was coming up with ice themes.) and I thought of this.

Haiku
Little bubbling brook
Splashing and gurgling away
The brook fairies play

There's a river near my school.

The brook fairies play
Wasting the long day
Splishing and splashing

I liked the line brook fairies and made a second haiku with them.

Sand footprints remain
But alas come the waves
Thoughts wash away

So this one just kind of came to me as a metaphor. The "footprints" are supposed to be like memories in a way, and the "waves" are time washing away those memories. I was inspired because we got to walk along the river when thinking of ideas.

Blossom saved by wind
Leaving its earth fate
Breeze takes it away

Ornamental tree blossoms were blowing all over the place, and this idea just kind of came to me.

Wrapper left alone
Forgotten, discarded
The test of time

I left candy wrappers on my desk and the thought came to me of how those wrappers could theoretically outlive me, because they aren't going to degrade for a very long time and can stand the test of time...

Polar bear sits
Waiting for a dish
Of tasty seal fish

More inspiration trying to encourage my friend.

Mirror reflects
Or does it deflect
Our reality

I really don't know. Maybe I was thinking of anorexia, and how it makes people see things that aren't reality?

Is anybody fond of humorous writing in here? Comedy writing?

That's pretty much what I write exclusively. Comedic speeches, scripts, short stories, etc. To give you an example, here's a speech I wrote for Academic Decathlon. I wanted to parody all the "lazy but genius" types I see on the Internet and in high school.

Musicianship is Me, Baby

Picture a child, three years old. He’s young, innocent, and about to blow everyone’s mind. For you see, this child has been practicing “Hot Cross Buns” for the past twelve minutes at least, and now he’s going to surprise both his parents by performing it completely from memory. He plays it all, without a hitch. Only seven mistakes. The parents clap and clap, telling the child that he was amazing, that they are so proud of him, that he is destined for musical greatness.

That child is me, [REDACTED], and that event is hardwired into my memory.

Down on the ruthless streets of my quiet suburb, they call me, after some coercion, the “Music Man”. That is because I am a prodigy. Beginning with my excellence in such instruments as the electric kazoo, the electronic kazoo, and the digital kazoo, I expanded my talents to include instruments like the piano, baritone, and trumpet - instruments I had many charming experiences with. I remember being in band hall back when I was in the the third grade, just finished with listening to my director lecture us on how terrible it is to drop your instrument, only for me to drop my baritone by accident with a loud CLANG. Flash forward a few years to a poky house on a picturesque hill. Twelve year old me is having a trumpet lesson, and not only did I not practice at all the previous week, but, to my teacher’s dismay, I had also forgotten what piece I was even supposed to practice.

Fun fact: I didn’t practice much back when I was a youngster. Another fun fact: I still don’t. But I had the spark to guide me in the form of my musically inclined brain. When I was given baritone music, you could expect me to semi-reliably make a good sound with passion. Put me in a crowd of trumpets, and you wouldn’t even have noticed the mistakes I was making, and even then, they were passionate mistakes. You should have seen me when I got into piano, that was what really drove me from low mediocrity to advanced, high-level mediocrity. I went to sleep thinking about piano, I woke up thinking about piano. So obsessed with the piano was I that the only thing I could even do when I got home was fiddle around on the keys a bit and then start playing video games.

My passive-progressive attitude with the piano carried me measurably further than I ever came with instruments I had, comparatively, only some interest in (that is, the aforementioned baritone and trumpet). With the piano I did recitals and performed in competitions. I even won some awards here and there. Awards like a “2”, an okay score, in UIL State; awards like “Semi-Finals Runner Up”, “Almost Got Into Region Orchestra”, “You Don’t Necessarily Stink”, and the like. Mild accolades and praise from judges established my reputation on the family fridge, but I was the quintessential musician: I made no money whatsoever. But I cried, I sweated, and I procrastinated. It was my essence, my pianimism, that drove me. It was my love for music that kept me going, no matter where I was going.

All in all, my musicality guided and continues to guide my life, even more so than the parasitic fungus that grows in my brain and increasingly makes me want to bite people. Musicality is me, baby. It’s my vitality. My natural gift that makes me passionately par when I could have been passionately poor. I’m not ahead of the curve, I am the curve. And if there were a bell curve for musical skill, let me assure you that I would be at the very top of that curve. In fact, I cannot even imagine what my life would look like without my musical brain, not just because I wouldn’t have a brain, but because music is the very core of my soul.

And that was my speech.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I welcome the opportunity to bump this thread (with tiki's permission) to post a written work (and to potentially revive this thread in general).
I submitted the story when participating during the 2019 Halloween writing contest that was hosted in Pokémon Showdown!'s The Library room.

While I do like to write as a hobby here and there, I still want to gain a lot more experience in order to be able to improve my style further.
Constructive feedback is hence very much welcome and appreciated.

I hope that all of you will have just as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

Without further ado, I give to you: "The Mortiferous Kiss of the Muse".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)