The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

What are good combinations for midweight characters?

So far I've been using Luigi - Flame/Wood/Clouds with pretty good results, but is there anything better?
I would use rollers/buttons over wood in that combination.

You get:
+1 Acceleration (acceleration tiers)
+1 Water Speed
+0.75 Mini Turbo
+0.5 Handling
+0.25 Air Speed

in exchange for:
-0.25 Land Speed
-0.25 Anti-Gravity Speed
-0.75 Traction
-0.25 Weight

Of course, it depends on your preferences. I personally find the boosts rollers/buttons gives more useful, but wood/sponge is fine as well.

(as an aside: from a bunch of races today, I've had a change of heart towards the handling stat. While it isn't as useful as Speed/Weight or even Acceleration, the extra maneuverability is nice in online matches to avoid items/steal item blocks from opponents/better position yourself.)

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown's Video Games room is having a Mario Kart 8 Night on Saturday, June 28th!!

Mario Kart 8 Game Night will begin at 8 PM EST on Saturday, June 28th! Races will start at 8:30! It ends at Midnight on the 29th. You will need a special code to enter the "Tournament"! There is no hassle to enter everyone's FCs! Instructions will given out to everyone on Saturday!

To join the Video Games room on PS you can either click this link or go on PS and /join videogames!

_Tonks_

Pokemon Showdown's Video Games room is having a Mario Kart 8 Night on Saturday, June 28th!!

Mario Kart 8 Game Night will begin at 8 PM EST on Saturday, June 28th! Races will start at 8:30! It ends at Midnight on the 29th. You will need a special code to enter the "Tournament"! There is no hassle to enter everyone's FCs! Instructions will given out to everyone on Saturday!

To join the Video Games room on PS you can either click this link or go on PS and /join videogames!
You beat me to it...I was LITERALLY about to Copy/paste this here.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After taking a break for personal reasons, I hit 6k worlwide =)

Also, I got a tip for yall: use tilt controls (via the gamepad) for courses with really low traction like dry dry desert, mount wario, etc. It really makes a big difference, becaue tilt controls give a MASSIVE boost to your traction! In fact, I like to troll worldwide by picking low traction tracks now heh. Though as I go higher up in the ranks, I start seeing more people use tilt controls on low traction tracks...

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi i am (what i like to think) an above average player as far as casual/novice players go. i like to play as lakitu/koopa but i'm not sure what a good combo would be ... i'm partial to the parafoil and the prancer kart but when looking at the charts they look kinda shitty.... help i don't want to suck anymore.

(Theorymon ? help) thank you friends

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi i am (what i like to think) an above average player as far as casual/novice players go. i like to play as lakitu/koopa but i'm not sure what a good combo would be ... i'm partial to the parafoil and the prancer kart but when looking at the charts they look kinda shitty.... help i don't want to suck anymore.

(Theorymon ? help) thank you friends
Sadly Ive mostly been messing with super heavy weights and medium weights. My faveorite for Super Heavy (which is Wario, Bowser, and Morton Jr.) is Yoshi Bike + Buttons + (insert acceleration glider here), and my favorite for medium (Mario, Luigi, Ludwig, Iggy) is Landship + Buttons + (insert acceleration glider here).

Paging TheMantyke , I know he's used Toadette before, and he's among Smogon's best!

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
DTC knows all the best combos. He might be able to help as well.

Also guys don't forget Mario Kart night is tomorrow in the Video Games room on PS!! :D

_Tonks_

DTC knows all the best combos. He might be able to help as well.

Also guys don't forget Mario Kart night is tomorrow in the Video Games room on PS!! :D
NOW IT'S TONIGHT!!!!! Sadly, I won't be able to get in on this, but I know it'll be fun and what not .

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man

Don't forget everyone! Mario Kart night is tonight at 8 EST!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jac, that's a fun combo, but i'd recommend running the (cyber) slick wheels instead of the (azure) roller / button wheels. you increase your ground and anti-gravity speed, as well as weight, all at the cost of a negligible bit of acceleration, handling, and traction. you can view the numbers for yourself by messing with this mk8 stats calculator. hope this helps!

also, if you want more air speed, you can run one of the weight-increasing gliders over the cloud glider.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
Jac, that's a fun combo, but i'd recommend running the (cyber) slick wheels instead of the (azure) roller / button wheels. you increase your ground and anti-gravity speed, as well as weight, all at the cost of a negligible bit of acceleration, handling, and traction. you can view the numbers for yourself by messing with this mk8 stats calculator. hope this helps!

also, if you want more air speed, you can run one of the weight-increasing gliders over the cloud glider.
I will try that pot when I get home tonight :) also thank you for ze help~

I was using that exact kart, except with super lightweight characters (note: using the lightest setup possible is really stupid) Also, does anyone have a good lightweight setup?

So far I am loving mario Kart 8, the stages are amazing, and it controls like a dream.
I have 2 questions though, what are some good builds for yoshi? And to unlock mirror do I just have to get gold cups in all of the grand prix's

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
newtonja, to unlock mirror mode, all you need to do is get gold cups in 150cc. the trophies and stars you get there (in 150cc) are reflected on the lower ccs. regarding the yoshi question, i'd probably go for a build that has an emphasis on balanced speed and acceleration. just keep in mind that i haven't used yoshi-weight characters too much, so feel free to experiment until you find a combo you like.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Been playing this game with my little bro and we are loving it.

WMARIO KART
I was wario and my youngest bro was waluigi. We haxed each other a ton and if you didnt noticed, I made him slip on the banana at the finish line but the video cut it off. Too bad cuz it was funny.

TRIPLE MARIO FREE FOR ALL
This one was a fun race. Played with 2 bros this time and we were all one of the marios. I was baby mario. Hah my middle bro didnt stand a chance this time. Good times.

But yeah, if you guys are up for some races, just add me. My nintendo ID is Typhlito.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)