Rage

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
RoA Leader
Some fun covers

• PS! Username: Rage
  • Song: Regression by Count Raven
  • Link: Count Raven - Regression
  • Genre: Doom Metal
  • Description: Count Raven covers a bunch of Black Sabbath songs in a medley there

• PS! Username: Rage
  • Song: The Man Who Sold The World by Nirvana
  • Link: Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World
  • Genre: Grunge/Rock
  • Description: Live from MTV Unplugged in New York, Nirvana covered this David Bowie song.

Rage

RoA Leader
Next series of song recommendations...
for the month of August with the theme of summer!

Drivers

• lyd
  • Song: Alok, Felix Jaehn & The Vamps - All The Lies
  • Genre: Genre: Brazillian Bass / Deep House
  • Description: Nice and easygoing, with great vocals and even better lyrics there's nothing not to love here. The guitar samples and the almost radio friendly vibe (which is by no means bad) make this song definitely feel the stereotypical summer vibe that most songs try to go for (which, again, is by no means bad). That's all for today. Expect another post from me tomorrow :)

• Tenshi Nagae
  • Song: PJ Harvey - This is Love
  • Genre: Alt Rock
  • Description: Been listening to PJ Harvey almost exclusively this entire Summer so I guess it fits, love is a strong topic point for this season.

• The Fall of Rome marcopolo8K
  • Song: Masego - Navajo
  • Description: Extremely fun track from one of the best Neo Soul artists out there, great for a relaxing summer day. The brass instruments and the vocal effects just make it even more ecstatic, perfect summer track in my opinion.

Moderators

• Surgeon
  • Kesha - Finding You
  • Genre: Pop/Country
  • Description: Anything from Rainbow just reminds me of one of my favorite summers. Nothing major happened, I just remember being on a car trip in mid-august when this came out and I usually hate summertime in general but listening to this made me feel a certain way about it during that time. I really connect with what she's saying, I don't really know what's waiting for us after death or if there is an after, but I just resonate with the notion of believing in that.

• ImmaFirinMahLazer
  • Song: Bowling For Soup - Phineas and Ferb Theme
  • Genre: Bop
  • Description: Nothing reminds me of summer more than the iconic summer legends Phineas and Ferb. The joy and bops they gave me through their 104 days of summer vacation made school coming around to end it a lot easier.

Room Owners
  • I Miss Pablo vivalospride
  • Song: Boogie - Sunroof
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: I suppose this can be associated by summer by default but I love this song and artist

• Brandon
  • Song: Miley Cyrus - Party in the Usa
  • Genre: Pop
  • Description: Don't tell me this isn't on your summer roadtrip playlist because I won't believe you. Also Wizards of Waverly Place is better than Phineas and Ferb and I will fight anyone that thinks otherwise

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon

Summer tracks

• PS! Username: Broken Phobias
  • Song: Chicken Fried
  • Link: Chicken Fried by Zack Brown Band
  • Genre: Country
  • Description: I may not live in the south, drive a pickup truck, or even like fried chicken but you know what? I fucking love this song. When I'm going out to party with my friends from high school who made it back to the hometown for summer this song is always one of the best songs to turn up to. It signifies a lot of what people hold dear like the stars and sky and just being able to wake up every day and see the sunshine. It's a truly beautiful song that always puts me in a chipper mood.

• Song: Toes
  • Link: Toes by Zack Brown Band
  • Genre: Country
  • Description: I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand. Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand. Life is good today, life good today. Need I say more?

Hello! This is my first post here so if i manage to mess up please do tell me, just thought this was a very cool idea :)

Rap & Hip-Hop spam
Rap has been my favourite genre for a long time now and I appreciate the songs from this particular genre a lot. Recently, I've been listening to a lot of more experimental stuff from the likes of Earl Sweatshirt, a close friend of mine showed him to me. Anyway, before I get off track, lets get into the songs!

PS! Username: PhantomHurious
Song Name: Hive
Artist(s): Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Casey Veggies
Album: Doris
Genre: Alt hip-hop
Link:
Spotify Youtube Music Video
Description: This track has a particularly dark and ominous undertone which i find to be very effective along with the great flow these 3 artists provide. I find that the lyrics fit the beat extremely well along with the ominous tone from Earl, Vince and Casey. Personally, I believe this is Earl's best track.

Song Name: Chum
Artist(s): Earl Sweatshirt
Album: Doris
Link:
Spotify Youtube
Description: In this song, Earl talks about his struggles throughout life such as not fitting in and having an absent father. This makes for a more sad track filled with emotion. This song has several lyrics that I personally relate to but I feel like everyone can enjoy this after a few listens.

Song Name: Through Da Storm
Artist(s): Polo G
Album: Die A Legend
Link:
Spotify Youtube
Description: Wow. What is there to say here? give it a listen asap. this is one of the only songs i actually felt a wave of emotion because of.

Song Name: Finer Things
Artist(s): Polo G
Album: Die A Legend
Link:
Spotify Youtube
Description: Here, Polo G reflects on his past, filled with poverty and struggles while also staying humble about his current riches and fame. He also mentions attempting to return there and help others that faced the same struggles,
"
I'm finna feed the whole gang with these millions
I'm finna buy my whole hood with these millions"

Song Name: Reborn
Artist(s): Kanye West, Kid Cudi
Album: Kids See Ghosts
Link: Spotify Youtube
Description: Kids See Ghosts is the collab album by Kid Cudi and Kanye West. It tackles the extremely important and common issue that is mental health. In this particular track though, Kid Cudi gives several bars that carry a really heavy emotional contrast to other rap songs that don't carry much meaning and only talk about stuff like guns and money. The overall song is godly and one of my favourites ever

Well, this concludes my dump because im not sure if I can post as many songs as I woud like to in one post so its possible I'll be back ;). I hope you enjoyed reading this fat post and I hope you enjoy the music I shared!

Last edited:
So I was very busy surfing in Mexico the last two weeks but now I'm back so I'm grouping three weeks into one here. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready because we have a lot to go through! :mad:
Album Review

review of an EP and some standout songs

• PS! Username: (%) lyd♮
  • Song: Jacob Collier - Djesse vol. 2
  • Genre: Jacob Collier
  • Description: I could give a three hour rant why Jacob Collier is like the 21st century Bach or Beethoven or whatever. But I will not, here's his music to speak for itself. If you don't like it it's no big deal, but you really should respect it. I've never seen an artist with as much knowledge and experimenting in music theory as Jacob. Nor have I seen anyone experiment with tuning like he does. And you'd think that'd end up as some experimental shit no one would give a fuck to. But no, Jacob makes his music sound even more natural and harmonic, by using just intonation when needed, and applying all this music theory knowledge to his advantage, instead of messing with it "just 'cus". Every single song is nice and smooth in their own merit. But he also experiments with different rhythms and makes some really really groovy music as seen in "Sky Above" and "Here Comes The Sun", for example. Not to mention, Jacob Collier and all his guests are excellent singers. This whole album is just a music masterpiece that should be looked as, dare I say it, one of 21st Century's most revered albums so far. I'll go into my favorite song to talk about it on its own merit, but you really should listen to the whole album for the whole experience. I'll let your ears do the job!

• Song: Jacob Collier - À Noite (interlude) / Lua (feat. MARO)
  • Genre: Jacob Collier
  • Description: Wow. As a huge Bossa Nova fan, listening to this mellow jazz influenced song with portuguese vocals gives such a breate of fresh air. Sure Portugal's portuguese and Brazil's portuguese are far different. But this is still such a pleasure to my ears. Probably one of my favorites in the album but it's hard to compete with "Moon River" and "Here Comes The Sun". Now please go listen to this album right fucking now!

EP Review

• Song: Marcioz - MULATO TRAGIDY
  • Genre: Marcioz
  • Description: This is perfection in music. Like, really. I've always looked up to Marcioz so fucking much, but this EP is a whole other caliber I've never seen anything close. The power and strength in some of the songs here are really outright unmatched. And the emotion of others is again something so different than what my ears are used to. Tracks like "My First Time Dying ($hrystal, $hrystal Eye)", "HALENKIND", "Watch Out! Black God I$ in Town" and absolute bangers and get me every single time in that drop. Meanwhile "LUANA CHORA pela primeira vez", "White Mask for a Pardo", and "Mulato Proibido" bring a lot of emotion and show the softer side of the album. Whereas my personal favorite "Devil$ Pie / One Dollar a Day" shows the perfect middle ground between the two styles. I view this album as an allegory to the ups and downs (but mostly downs) to the life of a dun person ("mulato" or "pardo" in portuguese) in the cruel world that can be Brasil, not only showing the nuances of the culture of Brasil but the implications of how many races came together to create the person that is your typical Brazillian. Just with the titles of the songs and the emotion their meoldy and chord progression passes, you can totally feel the intent here. And it's really powerful. I'll talk about a few songs.

• Song: Marcioz - My First Time Dying ($hristal, $hristal Eye)
  • Description: The first song of the album is the beggining of the tragedy of our lyrical persona (the "mulato"). With death here from the title being an allegory for the hard parts of life. The drop being the allegory for death, and the bridge: heaven. On a more technical aspect, the song has really perfect pacing, and a really powerful drop with these signature metallic synths and hectic melodies. But the second drop is really the climax here. The vocal chops undergoing such complex chords and harmory is something my ear really can't resist. It's so beautiful and life-breathing. It gets me speechless every single time. That lovely ending with the guitar too, wow!

• Song: Marcioz - HALENKIND
  • Description: Not gonna lie, I don't quite get what HALENKIND means, but damn this song is powerful! The verse here combines some vocal chants and hums with Marcioz's signature metallic synths, which leads into a beautiful bridge/buildup with a Guitar, which winds up in a chorus combining the two sounds and the aforementioned vocals into such a masterpiece. In a similar way to "My First Time Dying", this song is so powerful and engaging. I once again get left speechless by Marcioz's masterpieces.

• Song: Marcioz - Devil$ Pie / One Dollar a Day
  • Description: Similarly to "HALENKIND", the combination of the guitar and metallic synths from Marcioz creates such an intriguing and engaging drop, along with a Phrygian / Arabic / Egyptian evoking sound by the guitar's timbre and melody just makes for a perfect mood. The vocal granulizer added later on in the second drop also adds so much depth and energy into the song, not to mention the beautiful bridge in between the two choruses. Probably my favorite song of all time. Yeah, you heard that right lol!

EP Review

• Song: Flume & Reo Cragun - Quits EP
  • Genre: Flume / Hip Hop
  • Description: If you know me you probably know how much of a Flume stan fan I am. Flume introduced me to hip hop with his single "Friends" and some of the songs in his playlist/mixtape, so it's very fitting he makes a hip hop ish EP with Reo as soon as I fall in love with the genre. Friends is nothing new (but again one of Flume's best songs ever, so don't take it for granted) and Quits and Levitate are two of my favorite songs of all times, so yeah. Arguably one of my favorite EPs of all time! Only behind "MULATO TRAGIDY" I'd say! Hopefully Flume will come up with more amazing music and be able to dethrone this EP, because he definitely looks inspired!

• Song: Flume & Reo Cragun - Quits
  • Description: This song is very similar to "Friends" which is the very opposite of a bad thing. Hip Hop influences, and those godlike Flume beats in the back with some instrumental choruses in between just make what I would call a perfect song. I wouldn't change a single thing. Reo Cragun's vocals are also so fucking fitting, it feels like they were made for Flume's beats too!

• Song: Flume - Levitate (feat. Reo Cragun)
  • Description: This is for me the best song of the EP and probably one of my favorite songs of all time, if not my favorite overall. The verse with a mellower approach from Reo, and that divine drop, with a steady lead, driving bass, and a really lush and reverby synth, is just perfection. I really can't explain this witchcraft that Flume does, it's just perfect!

EP Review

• Song: Rezz - Beyond The Senses
  • Genre: Dark Techno? (not quite sure lol)
  • Description: Really nice EP by Rezz, I've mentioned before but seeing a female producer is so pleasant, seeing a woman succeed in a career dominated by men is really nice these days and boi Rezz's music is really some of the best! It's not quite in my comfort zone but it's definitely still music to my ears. I love her creativity and strength with these songs and this EP shows no different. I would have picked Dark Age to review as well but I already wrote about it earlier as a single, so if you wanna read about it go a few pages back or use the search option!

• Song: Rezz - Lonely (feat. The Rigs)
  • Genre: Dark Techno? (not quite sure lol)
  • Description: Ok so first thing's first. Listen to the chord progression. It stars following a very common and diatonic cadence only to suprise you with such a smooth resolution in that last chord, I'm really the kind of guy to notice these details but that just adds so much, and gives a sense of unsettlement (by doing something unexpected) in one hand, and an almost lydian and eerie feel by using that specific chord. Then these beautiful vocals by The Rigs kick in and make such a gorgeous mood with that chord progression from earlier, I love it already. But the drop is most definitely the climax. The vocal chops alongside that howling signature Rezz bassline is just so insanely powerful. The percussion helps a lot to add more rhythm and the overall vibe of the song is just sitting in that middle ground between mysterious and mellow! This is for sure my favorite Rezz song!

Singles of the Week

review of a few singles that stand out

• Song: The Chainsmokers, ILLENIUM - Takeaway ft. Lennon Stella
  • Genre: Future Bass
  • Description: I respect The Chainsmokers, albeit their music isn't quite my cup of tea (I don't even like tea), but having their more pop verse, with Illenium's drop and vocals from Lennon Stella just creates what i would almost call a perfect blend really! Catchy, mellow, and strong. Happy to see this collab happening, great track!

• Song: Taska Black - No Paradise
  • Description: If there's one thing that always gets me in music it's arpeggios, and the way this masterpiece by Taska Black implements them into this Future Bass setting is jaw dropping! It's so powerful and that arpeggio on top just adds so much too, I don't have much more to add but yeah, give this a listen.

• Song: Petit Biscuit - We Were Young (ft. JP Cooper) (DROELOE Remix)
  • Description: DROELOE remixes are always so fucking enjoyable it's insane. DROELOE keeps the vibe from the original but adds so much with a mellow, playful, yet powerful drop. This happier Future Bass style unique to DROELOE is really, really nice sounding, it always gets me smiling by the end of the song. So yeah, for more songs like this!

• Song: Osrin - 20 And Lost (feat. ELVIRA)
  • Genre: House
  • Description: Osrin's recent music has been very mellow and almost kind of radio friendly, which is anything but a bad thing. This song is no exception. Smooth vocals and drop, what more could you ask, with a really nice vocal chop too.
Albums
Singles

hello frens, it me again.

British Rap Spam
originally i was gonna make a similar post to my last one here filled with american rappers and fairly big names but while in a vc with some of my friends and it occurred to me that they had never really heard british rap music which i find crazy bc its something i grew up listening to 24/7, so i felt it was my duty to show this genre to you all!

PS! Username: PhantomHurious
Song: Psycho
Album: PSYCHODRAMA
Artist: Dave
Link: Youtube Spotify
Description: This is easily one of my favourite tracks ever. Here, Dave reveals his struggle with mental health and what he directly refers to as "manic depression". This carries an extremely heavy amount of sheer emotion. At the beginning, you can hear a therapy session before the song starts, this was a very nice touch along with the heart felt song.

Song: Bullet From A Gun
Album: Ignorance is Bliss
Artist: Skepta
Description: A song I really like and can relate to. the lyrics, "Like a bullet from a gun it burns, when you realize she was never your girl, it was just your turn" will always stick with me

Song: Screwface Capital
Album: PSYCHODRAMA
Artist: Dave
Description: This is easily my favourite song. Everything about this song is just wonderful and i highly recommend you at least check it out, worst case scenario, you wasted like 5 mins of ur life max.

Song: Inglorious
Album: Nothing Great About Britain
Artist: slowthai
Description: slowthai is relatively new to the music scene with only one album released by him but i absolutely adore his stuff. this song features skepta (see bullet from a gun) and i really like this feature. the entire album is super nice and i really recommend you check him/it out!

that concludes my second dump of music, i hope you enjoyed reading and i hope you enjoyed it!
London13

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
  • PS! Username: BreakthrU89
  • Song: Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
  • Album: A Day At The Races
  • Artist: Queen
  • Link:
  • Genre: Classic Rock
  • Description: Upbeat, Great Rhythm

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

(Photo credit in case it is not legible at the bottom: twitter-@finalsmashcomic)

Jolty's Summer Jams

Your boy Jolt has been taking his time to gather all the essential summer tracks, so without further ado, prepare for The Motherload.

Song: Marina - Bubblegum Bitch
Genre: Pop
Description: One of Marina's best and a pure summer jam. Characterized by its fast tempo, catchy beat, fun lyrics and Marina's unique style, this song is guaranteed to make you feel like a bad bitch in summer.

Song: Marina - Froot
Description: A bit slower paced than Bubblegum Bitch, but still a great bop and nice to just chill to.

Song: Marina - Shampain
Description: Another Marina bop. A perfect song for when you're partying it up during your summer nights.

Song: Katy Perry - Chained to The Rhythm
Genre: Pop, Dream Pop
Description: Any summer jam playlist has to have at least 1 Katy Perry track and this one screams summer. From its video depicting an amusement park, to its catchy beat (A summer staple and a trend you'll find in a lot of these songs), this song will get you hyped for summer.

Song: Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Description: From the fun lyrics to the classic 80's style throwback beat, this song is a summer classic.

Song: Britney Spears - Gimme More
Description: A perfect song to blast in the car during summer. Overall, just another classic jam.

Song: Britney Spears - Piece of Me
Description: Blast this song and feel like a bad bitch.

Song: Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams
Description: More of a slower paced song, but still a nice song to chill to no matter what you are doing outside in the summer.

Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
Description: Another song to put on full blast and rock out to during summer.

Song: Tove Lo - Bitches feat. Charli XCX, Icona Pop, Elliphant, ALMA
Description: Feel like a bad bitch with this amazingly dirty song.

Song: Kiesza - Hideaway
Description: Great summer song to dance to with its catchy beat and unique style.

Song: Kendrick Lamar, SZA - All The Stars
Genre: Hip Hop, Rap, R&B
Description: Characterized by its uptempo beat and heavy bass, this song represents another great summer bop to blast.

Song: Bob Marley - Jamming
Genre: Reggae
Description: A song I'm sure most people are familiar with, this is a classic song to chill to wherever you are during your summer.

Song: Flo rida feat. Sia - Wild Ones
Description: Damn near this whole album could go on here, but this one is probably the best.

Song: Flo rida feat. JLO - Sweet Spot
Description: Another song from the same album. This one is almost as good and screams summer jam as well, so it had to make the list.

Song: Allie X - Bitch
Description: Another song that falls into the category of just blast and rock out to during summer.

Song: Allie X - Downtown
Description: More of a slower pace than most of the songs on this list, but that makes it one of the better songs to just chill out to.

Song: Doja Cat - Tia Tamera
Genre: Hip Hop
Description: Doja's best track. Characterized by heavy bass and some of Doja's best lyrics, this is another song to just blast while driving.

Song: Aitana and Ana Guerra - Lo Malo
Genre: Spanish Pop
Description: Absolute bop for the summer.

Song: Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Genre: Classic Rock
Description: Who said classic rock can't be summer jams? Absolute bop. Blast this no matter what you're doing over the summer.

Song: Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Description: A song most people probably already know, but still a classic summer track.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Entoron-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Premier Ball
BP's Jams of the Month
Premier Ball

August

Panpyro-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Workout Song

• Song: Wolves of Winter
  • Link: Wolves of Winter by Billy Clyro
  • Genre: Alternative / Indie
  • Description: It's not as hard and heavy as some of my other entries in this category and that's okay. "Wolves of Winter" gets me into a groove when I lift and I love that about it. Its lyrics are smooth and they blend in with smooth guitar riffs. Not to mention the percussion is time perfectly with the guitars to add a more hyper feel to it while still remaining soft and smooth. The lyrics to the song itself is good and I appreciate the message it conveys.
Sleima-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Rap / Hip Hop Song

• Song: These Days
  • Link: These Days by Mike Stud
  • Genre: Hip Hop / RAP
  • Description: Former MLB player Mike Stud made some bangers in his time off from the league, These Days is one of those. The beat is clean and soft and Mike throws down some smooth catchy lyrics. Not really much else to say about this song except for that fact that in all of Mike's songs there is always a nod to baseball and this song is no different. "Girls These Days"
Nidoking-Avatar aus Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Casual Beat

• Song: STFU
  • Link: STFU by mansionz, Sparkmaster Tape
  • Genre: Hip hop / Rap
  • Description: STFU is a slow song which tells the story of a boyfriend or a guy who has a thing with a girl. The girl is needy and is constantly vying for attention. She constantly needs to be talked to by this boy and doesn't trust him. This song is essentially the guy just explaining where he's at and how he just wants her to slow down and relax. He just wants to be alone and do his thing. Which is persumably vibing and doing drugs. The lyrics are smooth and the beat is fine.

Kappalores-Sprite aus Pokémon Smaragd

Summer Song

• Song: Pineapple Skies
  • Link: Pineapple Skies by Miguel
  • Genre: R&B / Soul
  • Description: This song is the perfect song for summer. It's got a tropical "everything's great" mood to it. Its really upbeat and I often found myself listening to this while I would go for runs out in the sun. The beat is great and Miguel really flexes his smooth R&B voice if you catch my drift. The perfect song for sitting out in the sun and drinking a few brews. Pineapple Purple Skies baby, enjoy!

had some personal issues so couldn't post the past few weeks and now i'm compressing 4 posts into one here, hope you don't mind this barrage of music!

Album Review

review of an Album and some standout songs

• Song: Caravan Palace - Chronologic
  • Genre: Electro Swing
  • Description: Most definitely my favorite Caravan Palace album! The songs are so different from one another, there's really something for everyone here, yet I enjoy literally all of the songs here. Masterpieces such as About You, Melancholia, Water Guns, and Plume, and the other three songs I'll be covering more in-depth. There's nothing not to like here! No doubts this is one of the best albums this year.

• Song: Caravan Palace - Moonshine
  • Description: Warm vocals, smooth guitar, intriguing chords, steady bass, arpeggiated synths, mellow chorus, strong brass... Really what else could you ask for in a song?! This has really all the tools to bring a smile to your face in a melancholic afternoon. Simple is effective and this song proves it!

• Song: Caravan Palace - Leena
  • Description: Russian used to be my favorite Caravan Palace song, but Leena just blew it out the window!! Future-bass inspired drop with brass all over it, there are few better combinations in music. The little chants in the drop as well as the piano and synth arpeggio sounds also add a lot of entropy to that drop and give it a really peculiar edge. The verse also has a really nice vibe and juicy vocals, it just makes for a really cohesive and awesome song. This would probably rank very very highly amongst my all-time favorite songs!

• Song: Caravan Palace - April
  • Description: April gets a solid second place not only in this album but as my second favorite Caravan Palace song. Gorgeous vocals with beautiful lyrics and a strong nod to the classic Swing genre. What gets me here is that drop, though. After such a powerful buildup, the syncopation is really out of this world, and, in a similar fashion to Leena, mixing that deep Brass with a more synth heavy drop gives such a peculiar and awesome sound. I would say this song is pretty much the perfect embodiment of Electro Swing. A perfect blend of the two genres, tied by a nearly-century-old knot!

Album Review

• Song: BLR - Odyssee
  • Genre: Tech House
  • Description: I'm a huge fan of BLR's music so to see him drop a 15-track album out of nowhere is such a blessing really. Sure, some songs are similar, but it's kind of the point of the genre, they still have their quirks and all sound awesome on their own, so that doesn't really take away much for me. It's an awesome Album and I'd definitely recommend giving a listen.

• Song: BLR - Night & Day
  • Description: This drop is so fucking beautiful. It brings so much joy like out of nowhere. I think songs as beautiful and uplifting as this only come across once or twice in a lifetime. This is a masterpiece. Enough said.

• Song: BLR - Bark
  • Description: Probably my favorite BLR song of all time. It starts quiet, but that drop is just insane. The syncopation is nuts, and the melody is so engaging. It's probably the most unique song in the album, and despite a slower start it's mood is just that nice for my ears. I really love this song!
Album Review

• Song: Illenium - Ascend
  • Description: Illenium is a legend of Future Bass! I'm not as much into his music as other producers but I totally respect and love his work. I've already covered Good Things Fall Apart, Takeaway, and Crashing, so if you're interested in those just take a look at my earlier posts. But yeah, I'd like some more variance between the songs, but this whole album is still awesome. Really happy for Illenium's success.

• Song: Illenium, Said The Sky, Annika Wells - Sad Songs
  • Description: Classic Illenium style but this song is just so fucking good. Melancholic lyrics and vocals and just that gorgeous drop, there's not much to say here. This is really one of Illenium's finest works.
Album Review

• Song: MEMBA - SAGA-II
  • Description: This album has 7 awesome MEMBA songs! One of my favorite Future Bass producers so yeah, I'm pretty happy about this. The songs are at the same time concise and unique on their own, which makes for a really nice album. So yeah give it a listen!

• Song: MEMBA - 1 More Mile
  • Description: That starting melody gets me everytime, and it fits so well with those vocal chops. But this song leads into a more mellow and chill drop as compared to the rest. The synths with the vocal chops make for such a nice combo, I really dig this. Worth it's title as the album opener.

• Song: MEMBA, Ricky James - Alright With Me
  • Description: Ricky James's vocals fit so well with this song and the vibe of the verse, and it all leads to a pretty unique and feel-good drop! Not to mention the lyrics. I don't think there's much else to say so I'll end it here.

EP Review

• Song: ZES - Unlike You EP
  • Description: Whoa, what a surprise! I really have to thank Spotify for helping me find this artist! The music is out of this world here, seriously one of the few producers that comes close to Flume's caliber in my book. All 5 songs here are so so sick and so unique. I don't have much to say, but just do your ears a favor and take a listen!

• Song: ZES - 4D
  • Description: Best in the EP and one of my all-time favorites! This song is just so majestic and uplifting at the same time. The verse has it's flair already setting up the mood of the song. But that drop is just hypnotising. The syncopation and feel is really out of this world. Really makes this song feel like there's a fourth dimension added there, haha!

• Song: ZES - (if) you cared about me
  • Description: I love this song too! The calm start is really awesome and that first chord change gives me chills everytime. I love the calmer start setting you up for an insane drop at the end. And speaking of which, the harsh transition to the drop makes it so intense, the syncopation and unsettling vibe really makes it hit a lot harder. And then it breaks free into a really fresh second part, that builds on the whole initial part of the song.
Singles of the Week

review of a few singles that stand out

• Song: Tchami - Rainforest
  • Genre: Future House
  • Description: Tchami is a genius. He invented Future House and now he's reinventing it. A genre I feel has rather died out when it comes to new ideas and Tchami just drops this. The verse and the drop are so awesome and work together so beautifully. I love this song so much. More than I should probably.

• Song: DROELOE - Virtual Friends
  • Description: DROELOE songs always have a nice vibe and this is no different. The lyrics and short and sweet, but that drop is just otherworldly, That automated syncopated synth is just aaaaa perfect. I wouldn't change a thing! Probably one of my favorite DROELOE songs so far! I adore this!!

• Song: JPEGMAFIA - Jesus Forgive Me, I Am A Thot
  • Genre: Hip Hop
  • Description: I've been in love with JPEGMAFIA's music lately. And my favorite Hip Hop songs are probably these more unsettling ones, like this and The Internet's Ya Know, for example. And this song really has that contrast between the calmer and mellow part with that really sick guitar, and a more unsettling a dissonant part. And the transition from one to another is always drastic, I love this! Probably my favorite Hip Hop song this year!

• Song: Whethan & The Knocks - Summer Luv (feat. Crystal Fighters)
  • Genre: Pop House
  • Description: Whethan's music is always nice, but when you add in The Knocks it's a whole other level. This song is more radio friendly than what I'd probably like, but it's a really awesome piece regardless!
Singles

Rage

RoA Leader
Next Series of song recommendations...

for the month of September with a theme of Changes

Drivers

Tenshi Nagae

Song: Patty Loveless - How Can I Help You Say Goodbye
Genre: Country
Description: The hardest part about growing up is the inevitability that you never have everything forever. This change is something everyone has to live with regardless of how difficulty it may be, but it's important to know that you can get through every conflict you come across. This song is particularly important to me because it's my mother's favorite song due to her strong relationship with her late mother.

The Fall of Rome marcopolo8K
Song: Lip talk - All This Light
Genre: Experimental Pop
Description: Song about how one must change to become a better person, really bizarre production-wise but it makes for a stunning track. From her 2019 debut album

TheCoastsOfToast
Song: Richard Strauss - Metamorphosen
Genre: Classical
Description: The title says it all - transformations.

noctourniquet
Song: David Bowie - Changes
Genre: Art Rock
Description: the song is called changes. about those feelings of defying expectations, being unique and most of all about reinvention.

Charli XCX
Song: Weyes Blood - A Lot's Gonna Change
Genre: Psychedelic Pop
Description: Heartwarming song about optimism in the face of adversity

lyd
Song: Caravan Palace - April
Genre: Electro Swing
Description: April talks about the transition to Summer, but in more of a metaphorical way. "Running from the nature / Away from the past" gives an idea of moving on from the cold winter, and the drop's syncopated and steady pace gives a strong idea of movement. Another thing to consolidate this dichotomy between Winter and Summer and moving on is the contrast between the classic Swing instruments in the verse whereas the drop has a strong Electronic influence, again, linking it to the passage of time, between the Winter and Spring. All of which ends up as a metaphor for the persona's changes, which are more explicit in the sections "I'm cheering up so fast / Large fields, unexplored lovely things". I've already talked about how awesome this song is in my latest post so please give that a read if you're interested!

Moderators

StarBlim

Song: Sharks Keep moving - Cashmere Washington
Genre: Post Rock/ Math Rock
Description: nice song from the forgotten band Sharks keep moving off of their 99' EP: Desert Strings And Drifters some nice Math/post elements throughout the tracks and if you like the genres give it a listen

Rage
Song: Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
Genre: Heavy Metal
Description: Song about alcohol and a woman and how they change a man's life over time and how they change over time

Surgeon
Song: Katy Perry - Small Talk
Description: the pop version of what star posted, which means it's obviously much better.

rovietsussia
Song: weezer - getting up and leaving
Genre: Genre: Brutal Slamming Death Metal, Onkyo, Harsh Noise Wall

Owners:

St. Pablo

Song: xxxtentacion - changes
Genre: hip hop/rap

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
Jolt's Recommendation Thread (will add more songs later)
Song: Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
Description: In the spirit of changes, this song exemplifys change so well and is Fleetwood Mac's best or second best song. An absolute masterpiece that one should definitely listen to if they don't know it already.

Last edited:
PS! Username: Waveshaper
Song: Alice in Chains - No Excuses
Genre: Rock
Description: Pretty chill hard rock song. It puts a smile on my face every time I hear it on my playlist.

Song: Insomnium - While We Sleep
Genre: Melodic Heavy Metal
Description: This song is about grief for a love one and the realization that our time is limited. I think anyone who's lost a good friend or relative can relate. The melodic guitars and heavy but not overbearing growl vocals complement the theme of the song very well. Lyrics for those that can't understand metal very well.

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lately, I've been driving about 3 hours everyday, so I have been listening to the radio a whole lot more than I normally do. I have mainly been listening to 89X (rock station in Windsor) and have heard essentially their entire playlist. These songs are ranked on how much I like them, how good they are to sing along with, and how not sick I am of hearing them. Full disclosure, if an artist only has like one song played everyday or every other day, I'm not gonna include it. Also, only one song per artist. There are way too many different genres that I don't understand the naming convention for, so I'll use Rock as a catch all for most genres.

PS! Username: Official Fissure
20. Song: The Tea Party-Black River

19. Song: Beartooth-You Never Know
Genre: Hardcore/Metalcore/Punk
IDK genres man.

18. Song: Papa Roach-American Dreams
When I think Papa Roach, this isn't the type of sound of theirs I think of, but I still like it.

17. Song: Dirty Honey-When I'm Gone

16. Song: BRKN LOVE-Shot Down

15. Song: Asking Alexandria-Alone in a Room
Genre: Rock/Post-Hardcore/Metalcore
I'm just Googling at this point and hoping for the best.

14. Song: Fever 333-Made An America
Genre: Rock/Punk

13. Song: Atreyu-House of Gold
Genre: Metalcore/Post-Hardcore

12. Song: Highly Suspect-Lydia

11. Song: Deadset Society-Like A Nightmare

10. Song: I Prevail-Breaking Down

9. Song: Badflower-Ghost
& 9. Song: Badflower-Heroin
I'm cheating and putting two songs here cause I could not decide which one I liked more.

8. Song: Royal Tusk-Aftermath

7. Song: Dinosaur Pile Up-Back Foot

6. Song: Palaye Royale-You'll Be Fine

5. Song: Nothing More-Let EM' Burn

4. Song: The Glorious Sons-Sawed Off Shotgun

3. Song: Breaking Benjamin-Tourniquet
I've been listening to Breaking Benjamin ever since 2008 because of Naruto and Sasuke AMV's. Of course I'm gonna put them high on the list.

2. Song: Ghost-Faith

1. Song: Ice Nine Kills-A Grave Mistake
Genre: Metalcore

Song: Alexisonfire-Familiar Drugs
Genre: Post-Hardcore
They played this song a ton over the summer, but they played it only like once the past month so I couldn't put it into the countdown with good faith.

Song: Sum 41-Out For Blood
Its been a hot minute since I last listened to Sum 41, but its nice to know that they are still rocking it.

Song: Rise Against-The Violence

Song: Korn-You'll Never Find Me
Genre: Nu metal

Song: Bonds of Mara-Lights Out

Song: Bad Wolves-Remember When
Genre: Metal

Song: Avenged Sevenfold-Welcome to the Family
Genre: Heavy Metal/Hard Rock

Song: Shinedown-Monsters
They played this song so much that I'm starting to not enjoy it, but it was fun while it lasted.

Song: All That Remains-Everything's Wrong

Song: Bring Me The Horizon-Wonderful Life

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Next Series of song recommendations...

for the month of October with a theme of Halloween

Drivers

Noctourniquet

Song: Donovan - Season of the Witch
Genre: Folk Rock/Early psychedelic Rock
Description: Nothing screams Halloween like the queens of the occult.

The Fall of Rome
Song: Poppy, Fever 333 - Scary Mask
Genre: Industrial Pop, Nu Metal
Description: This song is beyond terrifying. It crawls beneath your skull and creeps upon your insides with an intense glare born in the depths of every living soul's nightmares. It is a weapon of inner destruction that could expell Satan from his own sanity.

Charli XCX
Song: Björk - An Echo, A Stain
Genre: Electronic / Experimental
Description: One of the most creepy and haunting songs that I know of while having a perfect amount of experimentation to boot.

Tenshi
Song: Sara Bareilles - Not Alone
Description: Most halloween stuff I think of is mostly just ambience so I wanted to pick something more song...y :p Anxiety can be a scary subject to touch on, makes you wonder if it's scarier to be all by yourself or unknowingly not alone.

TheCoastsOfToast
Song: Modest Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain (original version)
Description: The original Fantasia nightmare! Much more raw and scary than the Rimsky-Korsakov touchup.

Jolteonite
Song: Evanescence - Haunted
Description: Only Amy Lee could make a song about being haunted sound so beautiful.

The Exodus Attack
Song: Helloween - Halloween
Genre: Power Metal
Description: The track is literally called Halloween. It's also a power metal classic.

Moderators

Starblim

Song: Tropical Fuck Storm - Shellfish Toxins
Genre: Noise/Space Rock
Description: Very Atmospheric track could imagine this being in a horror movie to build suspense.

Clouds
Song: Keane - Silenced by the Night
Genre: Alternative Rock
Description: Aside from the title, this song really has nothing to do with Halloween, but it's good so listen to it.

Roviet Sussia
Song: Bathory - Enter the Eternal Fire
Genre: Black Metal
Description: Youtube video upload quality in 144p for added effect.

Rage
Song: GWAR - Zombies, March!
Description: Crazy stuff. RIP Oderus Urungus

ImmaFirinMahLazer
Song: China Anne McClain - Calling All The Monsters
Description: A literal Halloween classic.

Room Owners

Pablo

Song: GhostBusters
Genre: Halloween
Description: Old but gold, I'm generic.

Brandon
Song: Little Mix - Black Magic
Description: A cute anthem about knowing that you have the magic within yourself to get the person of your desires (aka getting yaself a mans).

Vivalospride
Song: Kanye West - Monster
Genre: Hiphop
Description : I'M LIVIN IN THE FUTURE SO THE PRESENT IS MY PAST, MY PRESENCE IS A PRESENT, KISS MY ASS

Last edited:

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
November's Staff Recommendations

Theme: Songs you like from artists that you normally don't like​

Drivers

Tenshi
Song: Lana Del Rey: Once Upon A Dream
Genre: Baroque/Dream Pop
Description: Same normal boring melancholic Lana singing my favorite Disney song. It's good by default really and her voice sounds great here

Charli XCX
Song: Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
Genre: Industrial Rock
Description: Sue me all you want for being a Nine Inch Nails hater but at least this song goes off and shows the heights they could reach.

Noctourniquet
Song: billie eilish - wish you were gay
Genre: electropop? sad girl music.
Description: i don't like hate eilish but she's def not really my thing but this song kinda rips and i can admit that

Jolteonite
Song: Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Genre: Alternative Rock
Description: I've never been a fan of Green Day, even when they were all the rage in the American Idiot days, despite my love for alternative during the time, but this song is one that I will actually listen to every once in a while if I remember it. It's a classic, everybody knows it, and just a pretty solid song all around.

TheCoastsofToasts
Song: Richard Wagner - Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin
Description: Opera composer Gioachino Rossini is often quoted as saying that Wagner wrote some great moments but bad half-hours (he might not have actually said this, who knows). For me, Wagner is a slog to listen to most of the time. His music goes on and on without arriving anywhere, and I'm not interested in sitting around waiting for the outbursts of great music to occur, as in this prelude.

Lyd
Song: Beyoncé - Single Ladies (put a ring on it)
Description: Nothing against Beyoncé at all, her music just isn't my style, and that's perfectly fine! I really like this song, though. It seems to be a common example of the quote on quote bad pop song. But it actually has a lot of stuff that sets it apart from your typical pop song. First and foremost the song seems to strongly imply a mixolydian b6 scale, which is like really really cool and something pretty rare, especially in pop of all genres. That makes this song have honestly quite an unique ambience, especially when it seems to give more emphasis to the rhythmn than the harmony in some parts. And speaking of rhythmns, this song is pretty all over the place. The flute seems to be divided in septuplets and triplets and while it goes go pretty fast for you to even notice it without looking at notation it's still a nice attention to detail that helps break things up a bit. It also does this thing where the songs skips a beat (or you can think of it as a measure of ¾) in the beginning and in the end of the bridge. And speaking of the bridge it's a really awesome part of the song, probably my favorite, and it makes use of a really cool technique called dominant prolongation where it just extends the dominant chord for a really long time (in the case of this song 5 measures) before resolving to the tonic in the chorus. That makes for a lot of sustained tension but it really works in this song, returning to that feel good chorus. All in all, this is a pretty sick song that breaks a lot of the norms you would expect to find in a pop song!

Moderators

Starblim
Song: Merzbow - Humming Bird
Genre: Harsh Noise
Description: Not usually huge on merzbow since most of their music is legit just Static Music and nothing in between that but a few tracks like Hummingbird have some build and are listenable

Rage
Song: Dragonforce - Cry Thunder
Genre: Power Metal
Description: Normally I dislike Dragonforce, but this song is catchy

Roviet Sussia
Song: car seat headrest - stop smoking
Genre: its really indie bro...lol
Description: Please stop smoking it smells like shit and so do you

1Surgeon
Song: Snake - Call It What You Want
Genre: Synth-Pop
Description: I'm a firm believer that Taylor Swift is one of the worst popular musicians that has ever lived. Her lyrics are cheesy, repetitive, and petty clap backs oftentimes. Her voice is poorly-developed and she just lacks the musicality to pull off her most decent songs. Call It What You Want is one of those songs. It's technically my "favorite" from hers since the lyrics aren't as cheesy as her usual ones, even though they're still quite basic. I still believe it would sound a whole lot better if it was just given to a different artist, with much better musicality and better vocals. Nonetheless, I've always been a huge fan of Jack's productions, he always delivers great synth-pop. The way he turned her voice into a part of the synth in the intro is probably my favorite part of the whole thing, pretty rad.

Clouds
Song: Snake - Gorgeous
Genre: Electropop
Description: I'm not as shady as the Surgeon above me, but I've never been a Taylor Swift fan either. The Reputation album was a backhand for me, because I liked a good number of the songs on it.

Lux Prima
Song: Logic ft. Eminem - Homicide
Genre: Hip Hop
Description: I've always tried to get into Logic but his music's never worked for me. I can get behind his earlier projects but all after The Incredible True Story just falls apart (and even then I think his first two are only decent). However, I think this song has an amazing flow from both him and Em + it's extremely fun yet interesting from lyrical and structural viewpoints. Props to him.

Owners

Brandon
Song: Ed Sheeran - Don't
Description: Normally I cannot stand Ed's sappy music and his voice (as his songs are way overrated), but I do enjoy don't for the rapping and I think it is probably his best song.

pablo
Song: 6ix9ine - TATI (feat DJ SpinKing)
Genre: scum gang
Description: i don't fw this clown at all, but i DO fw this song for whatever reason, despite the bottom tier lyrics.

Last edited:

Rage

RoA Leader
December's song recommendations!
this month's theme is winter!
Room Drivers:

Tenshi
PS! Username: Tenshi
Song: Sara Bareilles - December
Genre: Singer-songwriter
Description: December is a reflective month for me. It is the month I look back at my year and decide how I truly feel about everything. December is a look into someone suffering from depression's outlook on their life, using December as a personification of what holds them down until they're able to "break the chain" and give their old life behind for a new better one.

Noctourniquet
PS! Username: noctourniquet
Song: Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
Genre: folk, indie folk
Description: it is the ultimate basic bitch fleet foxes song (seriously check out helplessness blues and crack up as they are better than the s/t debut with this song) but this song is the definition of winter for me. folky guitar, lush orchestration, cold and distant lyrics, and everything about it just gives the feeling of winter. stay hydrated and blast fleet foxes. (PS it's not by pentatonix or birdy)

lyd
PS! Username: lyd
Song: Flume - Numb & Getting Colder feat. Kučka
Genre: Flume
Description: The reverb on these high frequency sounds with some string-like accompaniment really gives me some winter vibes i don't know why. The relentless feel of the song gives me the feels of a merciless winter, and Kučka's blissful vocals fight right in with this supposed wintery theme. I picked this, though, because I love this song so so much, it's so beautiful and it's basically tension & release 101, exploring a really cool core of music in a really unique way, and when you add the whole slickness of the song it's a complete hit to my spoiled ears. 10/10 would listen again (and again (and again (and again...)))!

TheCoastsOfToast
PS! Username: TheCoastsOfToast
Song: Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - The Snow Maiden (suite from the opera)
Description: Rimsky-Korsakov wrote some really great moments in this wintry opera, especially the Dance of the Tumblers at the end of this suite. Let it snow!

Room Moderators

Rage
PS! Username: Rage
Song: Wintersun - Winter Madness
Genre: Melodic Death Metal/Power Metal
Description, back when Wintersun was kind of cool and before the whole Time debacle, this song kicked ass

Jolteonite
PS Username: Jolteonite
Song: Gwen Stefani - Early Winter
Genre: Synth Pop, Soft Rock
Description: It's the Queen, Gwen. And she slays.

marcopolo8K
PS! Username: Lux Prima
Song: Billie Eilish - come out and play
Genre: Cute lofi acoustic ballad
Description: A really pretty song about showing yourself to others not only through words, but through actions. Easily one of my faves from Billie, broke me into tears on first listen.

Clouds
PS! Username: Clouds
Song: Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
Genre: Indie Folk/Rock
Description: There is no direct link to Winter in this song, & Mykonos isn't a place one would associate with it, but the chorus/vocals directly following the chorus have always reminded me of a trek through an endless frozen tundra.

rovietsussia
PS! Username: roviet sussia
Song: björk - pagan poetry
Genre: art pop
Description: really could rec this whole album for this theme its all winter-y, but this is one of my favs from it. stan the swan dress btw

Surgeon
PS! Username: 1Surgeon
Song: Mariah Angela Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
Genre: Christmas
Description: invented Christmas. that's it. that's the description.

Room Owners

Brandon
PS! Username: Brandon
Song: The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather
Description: We stan sweaters, but this song is also pretty accurate at showing the winter blues imo.

vivalospride
PS! Username: Vivalospride
Song: Frozen - Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?
Genre: DISNEY :)
Description: Been on a disney song rampage recently

Some recs from MDM/The Exodus Attack :)

Hey guys, figured I'd post some recs here as my last one is from back in October's staff recs. This will mainly contain some stuff I've been listening to a lot lately.

Song: Sanctuary - "Taste Revenge"
Genre: US power/heavy metal
Description: Warrel Dane was truly a legend among metal. His death was perhaps the most impactful upon me personally, aside from Andre Matos of Angra/Shaman, during my time within metal. Power metal would have never been the same if Dane and Sanctuary had not been a thing.

Song: Nevermore - "Beyond Within"
Genre: Progressive Metal
Description: Another pretty important band Warrel Dane was in. Been listening to his stuff a lot lately, since it's already been 2 years since his passing. Nevermore used to never sit right with me, but I've been loving Dreaming Neon Black a lot recently. Such a dark and bitter, but beautiful album. "Welcome, the end my friend..."

Song: Satan's Host - "Black Hilted Knife"
Genre: Blackened power/heavy metal
Description: By the Hands of the Devil might perhaps be the darkest power metal album ever released.

Song: Cattle Decapitation - "Bring Back the Plague"
Genre: Progressive death metal
Description: Been listening to Death Atlas a lot since it came out. Can easily say that it's in my top 10 albums of the year.

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
January’s Song Recommendations

Theme: Song of the Year 2019/Favourite Song of 2019

Owners

Rage

Song: Weyes Blood - A Lot's Gonna Change
Genre: Psych Pop
Description: There was a lot of good music released in 2019 and it was hard to pick but this song is just so beautiful that I have to rec it

Brandon
Song: Kehlani - Nunya (feat. Dom Kennedy)
Genre: R&B
Description: Kehlani's album is one of my faves for the year. I decided on Nunya because I think it has some of the best display of Kehlani's sound and style. Definitely would recommend her whole discography if you like it!

Moderators

Lux Prima

Song: Anderson .Paak - King James
Genre: Neo-Soul
Description: Counting only singles, this has to be both my most played and my fave of the year. One of Paak's most colourful and well-written, and that's considering how good his discography is.

roviet sussia
Song: liturgy - god of love
Genre: transcendental black metal
Description: Liturgy will forever be written off as hipsters and maybe they are hipsters but it doesnt matter bc this is really good. the strings/mallets (there's glockenspiel + like a harp or something throughout pretty much the entire song) & glitch sounds don't sound gimmicky, they really add to the whole. This is truly the most transcendental liturgy have ever been

Starblim
Song: Dorian Electra - Emasculate
Genre: Bubblegum Bass
Description: A great track tackling gender stereotypes and gender as a whole along with toxic masculinity

Clouds
Song: Anderson .Paak - Make It Better (ft. Smokey Robinson)
Genre: R&B/Soul
Description: Didn't have to think too hard to figure out my favorite song of '19, Paak is great and the entire Ventura album was a masterpiece. Recommend if you haven't listened!

ImmaFirinMahLazer
Song: Sharon Van Etten - Seventeen
Genre: Indie Pop
Description: Really for me to pick my favorite song of the year. So I chose this song. When I first heard this song in the beginning of the year, I knew it would probably be one of my favorites when the year came to an end. The entire album this is from is great. Really recommend both this song and the album.

Dragontite
Song: Angel Olsen - Lark
Genre: Alternative
Description: Personally, song of the year has to be the best song and I spent a long time figuring out which song is truly the best. Lark just stands out as the most complete song and I had to constantly try to give myself reasons why it couldn't be song of the year, which further cemented why it had to be song of the year. The raw, visceral emotion behind it, the instrumentation (consisting of even orchestral portions), the unique sound, the story behind the lyrics and probably what stands out as the best belting out of lyrics (the part beginning with, "Hiding out inside my head, it's me again, it's no surprise I'm on my own now")that gives goosebumps, all contribute to this song being the best of the year. This also stands out as the first time I've crowned the first song I've heard by an artist as the song of the year, but this song truly deserves it. The whole album is one of the best of the year and I'd suggest anyone who hasn't yet listened to it to do so as soon as possible.

1Surgeon
PS! Username: Linda from Lauren Canyon
Song: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
Genre: Folk/Soft Rock
Description: i already kissed this album's ass in a lot of other posts, so just scroll up and have at it.

OM~!
Song: Dancing with a Stranger - Sam Smith Ft. Normani

Drivers

Tenshi

Song: Sara Bareilles - Saint Honesty
Genre: R&B/Soul
Description: Not much to say here, 2019 has been kinda mediocre music wise for me beyond my favorite artist releasing her new album(which ig is pretty big in of itself). Amidst the Chaos is Sara's return to music from the 6 years she took off to work on the Broadway musical Waitress and it's an amazing return at that. 2 songs that stand out in particular is Wicked Love(my personal favorite song of hers), a powerful song that's in the style of her older music featuring almost exclusively just her and the piano, and Saint Honesty, a pleasantly raw song that highlights Sara's vocal ability more than any other song off the album which is why I feel that it's the best song off the album, and honestly of the year. This year I was able to go to my first concert in November and saw Sara perform this song live to close the concert and it was one of the highlights of the entire show. I highly encourage giving the song, and the album, a listen through

Charli XCX
Song: FKA twigs - Cellophane
Genre: Art Pop / Soul
Description: After taking the world by storm with LP1 in 2014, "Cellophane" marked the triumphant return of FKA twigs amidst years of media scrutiny and musical silence. Coupled with the most gorgeous music video of the year, this song was a personal look into a tumultuous period of her life and the lead single on one of 2019's defining albums. How much more iconic can it get?

xernn ♡
Song: Sabrina Carpenter - Pushing 20
Genre: Pop/R&B
Description: I would name this as my favorite song of the year because it’s been such a pick-me-up ever since it was released. Behind a meaningful & relatable message about growth and individuality is an aggressive, upbeat, and catchy instrumental. Every listen has been absolutely worth it.

Mrs Fame
Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - Julien
Description: Surprise surprise! Yet another FLAWLESS example of the way Carly Rae Jepsen has MASTERED the art of pop music. With Emotion being quite easily one of the best pop albums of this decade, she has served us another fantastic record. With Dedicated being so solid as an entire record, it’s hard to elaborate on the excellence of just one song, but Julien is easily my favourite pop song released this year, with such dreamy production + gorgeous lyrics, she has proved herself yet again to be a master of delivering quality pop songs.

noctourniquet
Song: charli xcx & christine and the queens - gone
Genre: pop
Description: charli is putting out some of the best pop songs. i've had trouble pinning down my favorite song but this is the song i come back to most out of all of them. love this song, charli and christine are queens. stream charli on streaming sites.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)