The Sun is Out and Shining! (BW2 RMT; Peaked #27 on PS))

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's probably a lot of people here who don't know me that well except for those who have battled me on Pokemon Showdown recently, but I've been into competitive battling since the latter stages of DPPT(post-HGSS release) and the release of BW2 has really pleased me. Anyway, after playing on Pokemon Showdown for a few days, I noticed that there were a lack of Sun teams and decided to give it a try. The team has worked out pretty well so far, peaking at #27 on Pokemon Showdown so far(not sure if that means a whole lot, but oh well) but I figured more experienced battlers may see something wrong with the team that I don't currently see. So, without further ado, here's the team:

A First Look

TEAMBUILDING

Well, I was wanting to use a Sun team, so Ninetales is a given. I decided to wait on giving it a set until I figured out the rest of my team, but I was considering the Sunny Day and Specially Defensive sets.

Venusaur and Volcarona are arguably the two best sun sweepers and both received a couple of key moves, so I decided to use the two of them together for some offensive and defensive synergy. Venusaur is able to protect Volca from TSpikes and switch into bulky Waters carrying Toxic while Volcarona can switch into predicted Bullet Punches and Ice Shards to keep Venusaur from getting picked off.

Well, any team carrying Volcarona pretty much needs a spinner. Donphan fit pretty well since it could tank physical hits and check Scarf Terrakion for the team. The Defensive Rapid Spin set fit perfectly as it not only gives me Rapid Spin, but it also gives me Stealth Rock, a vital move with the many rain teams abusing Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T right now. Sadly, I still didn't have a way to force out/KO opposing weather inducers yet, so I decided to turn to a recently released threat.

Enter Techniloom. Though it may be strange to use a Grass type that doesn't have access to Chlorophyll and put it on a Sun team, Breloom isn't nearly bulky enough to often take advantage of the rain IMO. Anyway, Banded Techniloom pretty much does everything I needed. It reliably takes out weather inducers, elleviates pressure on Donphan to keep checking Scarf Terrakions, and it allows me to play more aggressively with boosting threats should they not resist Mach Punch or carry their own priority. With Breloom, I still needed a way to keep Dragons in check since they would willingly setup on most of the team with impunity.

Since I knew I had a severe weakness to Dragons, I decided to put in Mamoswine. Thanks to Donphan using SR, Mamoswine is able to run Life Orb and still pick off everything it needs to with Ice Shard while being able to switch moves when necessary. Its Water weakness is shored up by sunlight, and like Breloom, it isn't taking Fire moves well in the first place anyway.

IN DEPTH LOOK

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Spd / 104 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Once I decided on Mamoswine, I decided to go with the more defensive route on Ninetales. With this set, it really eases the pressure on Breloom to take out the opposing weather inducer as Ninetales can hang around for a while. Sub allows Ninetales to lure in the opposing weather inducer (or other physical attacker) and proceed to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. As long as the opponent isn't faster than Tales, she'll have 2 turns to land the burn. As for offense, Flamethrower is used for the reliability and it still has decent power under sunlight. HP Fighting is really only there to deal with Heatran and Tyranitar after it's been weakened. The Speed EVs ensure that Ninetales can get the jump on neutral natured base 100 Speed Pokemon such as Jirachi, Salamence, and Haxorus to get the burn on them before they can make a move. The rest of the EVs are poured into Ninetales's HP and SpDef to improve her special bulk.

Breloom @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Low Sweep

Choice Band Techniloom is great for sun teams and it's usually what I'll lead with against opposing rain and sand teams. Mach Punch is such a great move to spam. Think Scizor's Bullet Punch, but add a much better typing to it. Yeah, it's really good. Bullet Seed outright maims the likes of Politoed, Jellicent, and Rotom-W among others, all of which are staples on rain and sand teams. Low Sweep is that move that faster things just come to hate. Have a Latios? Too bad, you get 2HKOed and I outspeed after a Speed drop. It's also great for when you know the opponent has to switch, but you aren't sure as to exactly what that something may be. The last move is Spore. Since I use this Breloom as a lead on a semi-regular basis, Spore can instantly take something out of the match on turn 1. Usually, there's something on the team that can take advantage of this. It's also useful mid-game should there be just one thing that's preventing a Volcarona or Venusaur sweep. Adamant is used since most faster things can be taken out by either Mach Punch or 2 Low Sweeps.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur only got one notable new move in BW2. Fortunately for him, that move makes a really big difference. Growth is the same boosting move it has been since the start of BW. Boost to +2 Spec Attack and watch as everything that doesn't resist your STABs falls like flies. However, Venusaur can now legally use Giga Drain with Chlorophyll. While it may not seem like much, this means that our favorite bulb/plant/dino doesn't have to worry about getting stalled out by LO recoil. With Breloom already having a sleep-inducing move, Venusaur can run a Hidden Power. Though many like HP Fire, this team prefers HP Fighting. This allows Venusaur to lure in and outright KO opposing Heatran which can allow Volcarona to sweep just about any team. HP Fighting also allows Venusaur to punish a Tyranitar for taking away his sunlight. Modest is used for more reasons than one. Venusaur gets doubled Speed in sun and won't be sweeping at all outside of it. Modest allows Venusaur to slam predicted switches harder than you may expect should it force something out. A prime example would be coming in on a Politoed and forcing a switch to one of the Therians as Toed can't risk getting KOed in a weather war.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Ah, Volcarona. The ever-popular moth has been a threat since the outset of BW. However, it has always struggled with bulky Waters in one way or another. Whether it being that they cause enough damage to the offensive set to stall it out with LO recoil or poisoning bulkier sets and effectively rendering them useless, bulky Waters have always been an issue for Volcarona.....until now. What used to be good ways to check, if not counter, Volcarona now becomes a liability. Quiver Dance is Volca's trademark. Boosting her best stats all at once is amazing. Having water moves weakened is even better. Fiery Dance is used for Fire STAB as the power loss against Fire Blast is compensated by sunlight and a good chance to boost SpecAttack. Bug Buzz nails the Lati twins, Ttar, and Reuniclus really hard. Finally, we have Volca's new move in Giga Drain. Though some may prefer Roost over Giga Drain, the fact of the matter is that you still don't solve the problem of Bulky Waters with Roost. They can still almost freely Toxic you and pretty much put your sweep on a timer. However, with Giga Drain, most bulky Waters don't stand a chance once Volca is boosted. This is augmented by the fact that Heatran will hopefully have been lured in and KOed by Venusaur before Volca attempts a sweep. Life Orb is the item of choice as Giga Drain can keep your health up high enough to avoid being revenge killed by priority users such as Scizor, Infernape, and Breloom.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Donphan is the team's physical tank and general utility Poke. With access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, Donphan accomplishes two major tasks. With Rapid Spin, this generally ensures that Ninetales and Volcarona don't get slammed by entry hazards, primarily SR, upon coming in. With SR, Donphan helps the offensive mons on this team by chipping down their checks and counters into KO range. Should Donphan still be around after those duties are fullfilled, he can then smack stuff around with EdgeQuake. Notable threats such as non-Ice Beam Tyranitar, Terrakion, and most Jirachi get held in check as long as Donphan is around. Donphan can also slam the likes of Dragonite and Salamence in a pinch should neither pack a special attack. The EVs reflect Donphan's main purpose as they are concentrated on physical bulk. However, 80 Attack EVs are used to let Donphan hit decently hard should he still be around after his Rapid Spin and SR duties are completed.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

Mamoswine may not seem at home on a Sun team, but its ability to ensure that Dragons, Therian formes, and Gliscor can never get out of hand is invaluable. Icicle Crash and EQ are STAB moves that hit incredibly hard off of Mamo's high Attack stat. Stone Edge is a neat move that can crush switch-ins expecting an Ice Shard instead(hi Politoed) Speaking of Ice Shard, it's the most important move on the set. Without it, Mamoswine would not be able to revenge kill all of the relevant threats it can take on. Haxorus, Salamence, Landorus, Tornadus, Thundurus-T, and Hydreigon are all among the legion of serious threats Mamoswine has no issues with revenge killing. Since Mamoswine rarely needs to outspeed its targets, Adamant is used as the nature for the power boost.

IMPORTABLE

Code:
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Spd / 104 SDef
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower

Breloom @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Low Sweep

Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard
Note that IVs show only stats that don't have 31 IVs due to either hitting a Life Orb number or due to a certain Hidden Power.​

Very Impressive team, I think I might steal it lol.

Anyways, the only thing I can say is that you could consider switching donphan to Foretress. Foretress spins, sets up SR, is also sturdy, just like Donphan, but Foretress can also use Sunny Day, in case Ninetales dies, and then volt switch away.

All in all, good team, and well written RMT, though see if you can keep your ranking, as I was 30th in ubers on PS yesterday and now find myself in the 1300 range...

LOL I am testing and improving my Sun team for days! I believe as a whole we both arrived at the same end of the edge. Techniloom! Mach Punch is just amazing.

I would suggest you try Lilligant instead of Venusaur.

Healing Wish because it helps bringing your Ninetales back when he is almost dead (winning weather war) and also healing Volcarona if your Donphan is dead and rocks are up. Put Quiver Dance on the Lilligant for setting up special attack and increasing the resistance of the Special moves like Hurricane and Scald, present in water teams.
NEW Giga Drain (or Leaf Storm to OHKO’s Politoed, and OHKO most Tyranitar’s at 0 and any Ttar at +1). HP Fire (sun boosted) for pesky steel types or HP Rock for Gyrados, Salamence, Abomasmow and Dragonte.

So... try out instead of Venusaur the following:

Lilligant @ Life Orb
EV’s: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Quiver Dance
- HP Rock/Fire
- Healing Wish

Run Fire Blast > Flamethrower on Tales.
I reccommend running a normal Techniloom set.
HP Fighting does not outright KO SpDef Heatran which can easily OHKO in sun. Try Sleep Powder or something.
Giga Drain on VOlcarona isn't a good choice. If you want to stop status put a Lum Berry or Substitute. You want a coverage move use HP Ground/Rock. What use is Giga Drain when that doesn't counter a single one of Volcarona's counters (DNite, Heatran, barring Terrakion)? Believe it or not, bulky waters aren't even close to an issue for Volc.
Also what is with the random ass IV's on Volc and Mamo?

Your team is also demolished by offensive rain seeing as how Breloom and Venu can only take like 2 Hydro Pump's each.

Great team, but MixApe absolutely destroys it. I'll keep messing around with it, and see if I can find a better fix for that problem.

I have a question for you.

I'm just now entering competitive pokemon, and I'm very intrigued by teams that make good use of the weather. However, when I imported this team, Pokemon Online informed me that Volcarona can't learn Giga Drain. Is this the fault of Pokemon Online?

As far as your team is concerned, it looks pretty good on paper. However, take my word with a grain of salt, because I'm still very new.

While you do take measures to protect against this, nothing in your team can switch in to Heatran. With the lack of a steel you also have issues coming into Latios, who can basically just come in and out of your team, KOing things at will. Coincidentally a Magma Storm Heatran @ Air Balloon would fix these problems for you. It also has the added bonus of switching in on and/or trapping & killing flamethrower blissey, which also gives your team a bit of trouble.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Heatran also gives you an extra check to the Therians, and helps you somewhat towards winning the weather war (at the very least, it traps Politoed).

I'd also change up your ninetales set. Risking your ninetales to burn Mence or Haxorus that could carry lum berry is definitely not worth the risk. I'd drop some speed EVs to just enough to outrun max speed tyranitar/standard gliscor and then dump the extra in bulk. Also consider using Roar, in order to better deal with Sub Hydreigon.

Lastly, in case you can't find space for Heatran on your team, I'd recommend dropping Donphan for Forretress, for the sake of having a steel (which helps you take brave birds from skarmory). You might think that makes you even more susceptible to Heatran, but that's not the case - neither Donphan nor Forretress switches in to tran anyway, while Forretress still sets up Rocks/spins and can also Volt Switch to gain momentum. Additionally, Forretress is one of the better counters to Haxorus and also checks Dragonite, which I believe is now commonly running Superpower over Fire Punch in the rain.

I might also look at adding a ground immunity somewhere. Otherwise, Landorus could pose seriously problems for you if Mamo is taken out.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems quite a few of you are keen on me switching Donphan out for Forry. Considering Forretress was the other spinner I was considering when I chose Donphan, I will certainly test that out.

@Doom Dawg: As for the Lilligant suggestion, I may try it, but Venusaur can at least use its decent coverage outside of Sun to hit stuff if it comes to that. I know Lilligant is a good sun abuser, but I really haven't had any issues in keeping Ninetales alive since this team doesn't mind going short stretches without the sunlight if need be. (Loom, Mamo, and Volca are perfectly capable of dealing good damage outside of sunlight)

@Dezza Laa: Flamethrower is better on this Ninetales since her main goal is to survive through a weather war, not to take out opposing teams. Flamethrower KOs what it needs to, so I'm perfectly fine with it. As much as I want to run a normal Techniloom set, the CB set fits better onto this team. The immediate power without losing HP to LO is really nice and puts opposing weather teams into a bind since Loom can easily obliterate their weather starter. Not to mention the Therian formes are pretty good at checking/countering Techniloom. May as well smack them if they're going to try and come in.
As for SpDef Tran, not many people are using it right now since it's a huge liability against all the rain teams running around. Haven't seen one yet actually. If its usage suddenly resurges, then I'll consider Sleep Powder. I already have checks/counters to Dnite and Tran(lure for the latter), so Volca doesn't need to worry about them. If I see them on the opposing team, I can just as easily fire off an attack rather than setting up.
Offensive rain is tricky, but I seem to always find ways around it and still win. Most of the time I have to come in on Poli's Hydro Pumps and, as you said Dezza, it 2HKOs Venu and Loom. But that's the thing. It 2HKOs. Poli can't stay in and risk getting destroyed in a weather war. Keldeo is annoying as hell, but I'll trade having an issue with it if I can reliably get rid of Dragons and Therians. It might just be the way I use this team with my playstyle. I don't try to predetermine who I'm going to sweep with. Obviously, I'd love to 6-0 a team with Volca or Venu in a perfect world, but sometimes I do have to sac them to give myself a chance. If the opponent has a Scizor and I can't get rid of it quickly enough, then I'll live with letting Venusaur go because I know it can't safely sweep until Scizor is gone. I don't have just one way of winning with this team. I'll rarely figure out who it actually going to win the game for me until late-game. Otherwise, it's just a matter of keeping the game close and making sure something is around to clean up when the chance arises.

@PCMario64: Ah, you make a good point Mario. Hard switching into MixApe for this team, but thankfully I haven't seen a ton. With the sun up, switching into it is a bit easier since I just need to force a Close Combat to get Venu in. Otherwise, I'll just usually switch around until LO recoil puts it into Mach Punch range. Volca's usually the poke I have to let go of in that scenario.

@BulLZ3Y3: Smogon's PO Server hasn't updated with the BW2 changes yet. This team was made on Pokemon Showdown. Aside from Volca being unable to get Giga Drain, Venu can't have Giga Drain and Chlorophyll together, Techniloom doesn't even exist, and Mamo can't have half its moveset with Thick Fat. So yeah, to say this team would be terrible in BW1 would be an understatement haha.

@Earthduster: I won't keep Tales in on mence or haxxy unless I'm behind a Sub, which gives me 2 turns for WoW in case of a miss or Lum Berry. Already adressed the Forretress idea at the top, and I typically keep Mamo around in the presence of any Dragon or Therian forme, knowing it's the most surefire way I have to wipe them out.

@Jerp: Mission accomplished. Actually went from 40th to 27th earlier today. 41-9 with the team thus far.

I have a question for you.

I'm just now entering competitive pokemon, and I'm very intrigued by teams that make good use of the weather. However, when I imported this team, Pokemon Online informed me that Volcarona can't learn Giga Drain. Is this the fault of Pokemon Online?
We're still waiting for an update on Smogon's version of PO, I think. Like EonX said, he's been playing on the Pokemon Showdown server, which I guess has the new version (never played there myself, I'm just guessing from what he said.)

As for EonX, I must say that I like this team a lot. It looks like it could take some punishment and dish it out. I would like to put out there, however, that once Mamoswine is eliminated, rain teams that pack Tornadus/Thundurus can have a field day when the rain is up. I would back up Earthduster's opinion on Magma Storm Heatran.

Anyhow, good team.

Basically, yeah, its a quite nice team, but you're massively,insanely Fire weak. Heatran in sun OHKO's everything you have. Volcarona sets up then its gg as well. The most obvious way you can fix this is to run Air Balloon Heatran over Mamoswine, still giving you a good counter / check to most Dragons but absorbing Fire attacks. You lose the ability to take down Tornadus / Thundurus but Heatran can at least help you pivot around Hurricane. This does also weaken you against Gliscor, so it might be worth trying out some form of Latios > Breloom to still carry out most of its duties, and beat the Therians + Gliscor.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Latios, Latias, and even Haxorus can all wreck and destroy your team. I suggest dropping Techniloom for Heatran of some sort to bring a Dragon resistance to the table and also absorb strong Fire attacks that also easily beat you. Infernape still demolishes you though.

Using Fire Blast will lead to a greater longevity for Ninetales and your team since it can KO some major threats it previously couldn't alleviating pressure from your team (coz lets face it, your team is pretty frail). Your already winning weather wars (sand at least) with Techniloom and Donphan so I don't see what the problem is...

I can assure you SpDef Heatran will be a major asset with Genesect's release (I've spent most of my Pokemon years playing DW OU so I know is going to be useful and what isn't). Besides taking on TTar (which seems to be the only thing your team cares about [HP Fighting everywhere, Techniloom, Donphan, Mamo, Volc]) it aids in no way. You have to remember that offensive rain will no doubt be way more trouble than your giving it credit for. Scarf Toed can destroy your entire team alone.

Lastly, I'm not saying you don't have checks for Terrakion, DNite and Heatran, I'm saying that giving Volcarona Giga Drain is basically a waste of a moveslot since he has zero problems with bulky waters (especially if you give it a sub like I said). So I don't understand why you are basically wasting a moveslot. Bug Buzz will 2HKO almost every single bulky water mon, and if you run Sub, they can't even break a sub so you don't need to worry about status (toxic predominantly) from them. Instead you can GIVE VOLC AN EASIER TIME SWEEPING>

Bryce

Lun
Nice team but dragons and fire types are a big problem to you.Also HP fighting on Venu isn't that great.To solve your problem with fire types and dragons I suggest the following changes.
HP fighting to HP Ground for on Venusaur to help with heatran.You can run HP ground on Volc too instead of giga drain.
Ferrothorn instead of techloom to help you with weather wars.Donphan handles sand very well and ice beam ttar normally can't do much to nintails or your other pokes and you can burn it with will-o-wisp.Ferrothorn can deal with dragons very well too.

Lastly,I suggest Salamence instead of Mamo for fire types and brings a lot to the table.You can try Dnite too but everthing carries HP Ice and usually outspeed it.scarfmoxie mence is not hindered by SR as much as nite so Donphan will have less pressure since it lacks recovery.

Hope I helped and good luck :)

Hi Eon,

After looking over your team, and others have mentioned, I have noticed how your team has nothing to switch into a Fire attack. Ninetales brings the Sun which further boosts the power of fire type moves and ultimately makes your problem a whole lot worse. I would definitely recommend trying a Specially Defensive Heatran over your current Mamoswine. Heatran gives you an invaluable fire immunity that Sun teams need. It also helps you check Latios a lot better, with Specs it can deal massive damage to every member of your team, as you have no Dragon resist. This also gives you a much more reliable answer to Volcarona, who also causes you some trouble. After a couple boosts, Venusaur and Ninetales can't do anything. Breloom, Mamoswine and Donphan are all outsped and OHKO'd at +1 and you don't really have anything to switch into it as it starts setting up. Heatran solves this problem easily, putting less pressure on Ninetales -- shifting the weather war more in your favour.

While losing Mamoswine, you also lose a very handy check to Dragons, Salamence and Dragonite in particular look like they can give you some problems when Mamoswine is down. To solve this issue, I suggest using Ice Shard > Stone Edge on Donphan. Ice Shard will stop Donphan being setup fodder for the Dragons, as well as being to revenge them easily when they are locked into Outrage.

I'd also recommend trying Hidden Power [Ground] over Giga Drain on your Volcarona. At +1, not a whole lot can switch into Volcarona; its most common switch-in is Heatran. Hidden Power [Ground] lets you beat Heatran 1 on 1 who can otherwise phase you out. I'd also suggest running Hidden Power [Ice] instead of Hidden Power [Fighting] gives you an additional backup against them, as Venusaur outspeeds the majority of Dragons, even Choice Scarf sets (except Latios!)

Heatran @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

• Specially Defensive Heatran > Mamoswine
• Ice Shard > Stone Edge for Donphan
• Hidden Power [Ice] > Hidden Power [Fighting] for Venusaur
• Hidden Power [Ground] > Giga Drain for Volcarona

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)