The Tennis Thread

I can't think of another player who has ever been better than Federer at the peak of his game.

You're not taking into account people who used wooden rackets and played with deader balls. Specifically, I'm talking about Rod Laver and Bill Tilden. Laver won all four grand slams as both an amateur and a pro, and Tilden was just dominant in his era. You can't compare them to Federer really, because of the time they played, and I could just as easily make a case and say they were better than Federer in his prime.

Wow, didn't see that one comming. A semi-epic match between Federer and Roddick. Especially the 2nd set tie break. Got a bit dull at the end, but more than I expected from Roddick.
Federer greatest player ever?
Also, I would fancy a Murray/Roddick win in the US open. Federer stuggled, and Nadal might not get fit enough after his injury

The Murray v. Roddick match was awesome, but the funny thing was is that Murray got more aces than Roddick. Roddick played really well today.

murray is the best returner on tour and was serving well so no surprises there, roddick was just serving out of his mind so all the free points came from service winners

tennisace said:
and I could just as easily make a case and say they were better than Federer in his prime.

protip: comparing eras is an awful idea

venus williams should stop playing caring big sister and actually win something

federer back to the "3 slam wins, 1 final a year" quota

some insane matches in the wimbledon junior tournament:

Boys' Singles R1: C. P. Hsieh def. J. R. van Overbeek 4-6, 7-6(3), 13-11
Boys' Singles SF: J. Cox def. D. Britton 6-3, 6-7(5), 16-14
Boys' Doubles R1: T. Farguharson/S. Sterland-Markovic def. D. Berta/R. Urbanek 4-6, 7-6(3), 13-11
Boys' Doubles R2: C. Boluda-Purkiss/D. Souto def. L. Burton/G. Morgan 7-6(3), 5-7, 17-15
Boys' Doubles SF: J. Obry/A. Puget def. A. Georgoudas/A. Vasilevski 7-6(4), 6-7(2), 14-12
Boys' Doubles F: P. Herbert/K. Krawietz def. J. Obry/A. Puget 6-7(3), 6-2, 12-10

She won wimbledon the last two years before this year so I don't know what your talking about, and has won many more.

i'm talking about against serena so 2007 where she beat fatoli isn't really applicable

everybody makes the point that "serena is better in major finals and on the big stage" when they are scheduled to duke it out

she really isn't, she's just a brat and venus is kind enough to NOT play to her full potential and play her heart out because she doesn't want to take what is so important to her sister away from her. this will never be reciprocal.

Are you sure? Are you Venus Williams? Or are you some fuckhead who has dumb theories.

Personally, I think you're the latter. The fact is, Serena is a great player, I believe moreso than her sister, as Serena is more versatile. Venus has more Wimbledons, so that makes her a better fast court player, but not a better player in general.

Serena is just better. She has won 11 grand slams and will certainly be considered one of the greatest women players in the world. Her ability to perform in Finals is rather incredible.

What you said about Venus playing remorsefully is of the utmost stupidity.

Clijsters completes the rare Williams sweep at the US Open. After her first round match I knew she would be good, but not this good. Pretty surprising. Wozniacki makes her first Grand Slam quarters and final at the same tournament... also pretty surprising. I think Clijsters will win the final in 2 sets.

Hopefully a Federer v Nadal final but I could easily see Del Po beating Nadal, unless Nadal does to him what he did to Gonzo in the second half of their match. I don't think the Djoker will give Fed too many problems.

Picking Federer in the final in a not so bold prediction.

Where's all the US Open love??

I wish I had watched that last Clijsters match. Serena really went off on that line judge at the end:

"I swear to God I'm fucking going to take this fucking ball and shove it down your fucking throat, you hear that? I swear to God."

It was sad to see the match end like that, but she deserved it. There's no excuse for that behavior, bad call or not. (I STILL can't tell if there was a foot fault.)

People uploaded videos 10 minutes after the incident onto Youtube so there's your chance to view it.

and well, we don't know for sure what Sarena said due to background noise, but it was pretty funny I'll admit. Sarena was like twice the size of that small asian woman in both height and waist, you couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Everyone watching live seemed so excited for Clijster to win, and I can understand why. Clijster isn't... exactly my favourite player but I still want her to win this Grand Slam - it'll make things interesting without a doubt, especially in 2010.

As for the men's division, I am hoping that Djokovic defeats Federer......

nadal got seriously fucked up by del potro, and fed just won in three tight sets

federer made an unbelievable between the legs shot to get triple match point

Wow. When Roger says that shot was the best he's ever hit, then you know it was a damn good shot. I'll definitely be watching tomorrow's final; it should be a good one.

Amazing win for Clijsters, only the third tournament since she has come out of retirement. Federers last shot was amazing and I have no doubt that he'll win.

That was amazing. Federer's definitely in his best form in a long time, and the look on Djokovic's face was also priceless. Federer won't be stopped for a long time, in the Grand Slams, earliest being when Nadal comes back after the abdominal pain ceases I'd guess.

Amazing shot by Federer, but I recall him doing some amazing ones at this years Australian Open too..

Federer will beat Del Potro in straight sets.
Del Potro is playing well, but he just can't play well enough against Federer (He had Federer at Roland Garros, just couldn't finish him off)

Remember this is Del Potro's first final too, so he will be nervous at the start of the match. With Federer being a great front runner, he will go on and finish Del Potro in 3 sets comfortably.

Federer has won the last 5 US Opens too, so that's going to be at the back of the mind of Del Potro too.

Should be an interesting match though..

Back