The "tier" of "NU" Items, and a discussion on how can they be used competitively.

Grip Claw and the pinch berries are probably the most interesting options I can think of.

Magma Storm Heatran with Grip Claw might be viable, but the 70% accuracy isn't very attractive. The trapping effect might be useful, though.

Also, if such Pokémon exists, Grip Claw + Trapping Move + Leech Seed. Or Grip Claw + Trapping Move + Perish Song. But this is all just conjecture.

Also, if such Pokémon exists, Grip Claw + Trapping Move + Leech Seed. Or Grip Claw + Trapping Move + Perish Song. But this is all just conjecture.
Tangrowth and Carnivine get Bind + Leech Seed. Maybe you could gravity to offset the poor accuracy. Nothing gets Wrap + Leech Seed, which may be deliberate.

On the note of wide lense + High damage move vs Life orb + more accurate less powerful move-

On tyranitar, wide lense stone edge outdamages Life orb rock slide by a small margin, and has that handy high crit ratio. However, even with wide lense, It's accuracy is only 88, so it'll miss more than rock slide, though only barely... so it seems viable.

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but spamming your one attack with Metronome would be a good way (imo) to bluff a choice item.
I can figure out if my opponent has a choice item simply by estimating the amount of damage that is dealt to my pokemon. The only bluff you'll be pulling, is possibly a Choice Scarf bluff if your pokemon was already faster than mine.

Life Orb is superior to Wide Lens on Tyranitar. It actually benefits him when he uses Earthquake, Fire Punch, and so on, which is significant as he misses out on KOs otherwise.

As for Kingdra (and movesets relying on Critical Hits in general), relying on a CH is usually like hoping for a hit with Sheer Cold (i.e. similar chance of happening), the Pokemon tend to be too frail to wait for the crit, and they can use much more reliable sets to greater effect.

Latias's Draco Meteor is powerful when backed by some sort of item boost, usually Choice Specs or Life Orb.

The problem with Metronome is that the boost starts off too small and it is practically impossible to use one move consecutively without being walled(before setting up winning conditions anyway).

Having said all that, Metronome and CH sets could make some things effective wallbreakers due to lack of recoil and rising power preventing outstalling via recovery for Metronome, and the chance to repeatedly attack until a crit ends the stallwar for a CH set. Except it is still unreliable, and there are better methods.

I've thought about this too before, and it sounds p.cool at first. However:

The Article said:
For example, a Serene Grace pokemon using Air Slash while holding King's Rock has a 0.6 + (1 - 0.6) * 0.1 = 64% chance to flinch.
Even if it does, it only increases the chance by a measly 4% according to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)