The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

Genesect is one of the Pokemon I hated the most-it caused me to quit playing OU at the beginning of BW2. While it was very powerful, I couldn't really say it had as much influence as the weather starters, or even Excadrill. Still, with Genesect came the rise of the Volt-Turn craze (although Tornadus-T contributed to this rise as well), and Genesect on any team was pretty good. It replaced Scizor as the top Pokemon in the metagame, and I really prefer the current metagame to the Genesect one, since now I don't have to prepare specially for Genesect (most of my teams already crush Scizor anyways).

So yeah...Genesect for #7

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Genesect should have been a lot higher on this list, honestly. It had one solid OU counter (and one or two more in lower tiers) which it could get past if it really wanted to, it had zero guaranteed checks (a lot of them got fucked up by CB Genesect), and it was perhaps the most unilaterally threatening Pokemon we've ever seen in OU. Every single Pokemon in OU could get its head bashed in by a Genesect, except perhaps a Venusaur or Excadrill in its own weather (Adamant Excadrill can OHKO with LO EQ after Rocks, although the two were never together). No team was not threatened by Genesect, and every team could benefit from Genesect's presence. Genesect was literally the best Pokemon OU has had this generation.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow all this Gen 6 hype made me completely forget about this. Sorry guys!

The voting for the #7 spot ends here! Here are the results

Terrakion: 11
Genesect: 18

Latias: 1
Deoxys-S: 1
Latios: 1
Landorus: 1

Genesect is the Winner!

Genesect finally managed to gain a significant lead over its competitors by a whopping 7 votes, which is quite impressive, seeing as it was spot blocked quite frequently by something else. Anyways, Genesect is definitely a Pokemon well deserving of a spot on this list for many reasons, and #7 is a perfect for it. Although Genesect may not have been around long enough to make a lasting impact, Genesect was one of the most over-centralizing Pokemon 5th Gen OU has ever seen, it was used on 50% of teams, which is almost unheard of. There are a number of reasons why this thing was such a beast in OU. First off, its Choice Scarf set made it one of the best revenge killers in the tier; its ability Download only making easier for Genesect to fire off powerful coverage moves or just a STAB U-turn. Not only that, but Genesect was one of the best late-game sweepers in the tier, being able to run a nasty Rock Polish set that could destroy most of the metagame with its myriad of coverage moves and amazing power coming from its +1 SpA boost thanks to Download. Genesect was just the ultimate glue for most teams because of its amazing revenge killing and sweeping capabilities, combined with the ability to grab momentum on pretty much everything. It even gave a boost to sun teams for a while, giving Dugtrio an easier time at trapping Heatran; Genesect and sun's worst nightmare. There's one major reason why Genesect isn't higher on this list, and that's its time in OU being cut too short. Basically, Genesect wasn't around long enough for it to leave a permanent impact on the tier like Politoed, Tyranitar, Ninetales, and Ferrothorn, or a significant lasting impact on the tier like Excadrill and Sand Veil Garchomp did. Still, even with its short stint in OU, Genesect proved to be an incredible Pokemon that could have easily become one of OU's greatest if it were to stay around, which is more than enough of a reason to warrant it a spot on this list.

Voting for #8 spot​

Alright the voting has begun! We are going to be voting for the #8 spot. You're not required to write any sort of description about your vote, but if you want to then you're more then welcome to. From now on, I would highly advise you to write a few sentences explaining your vote, or else your vote may be more open to disagreement. The voting will always last for 2-4 days, as I feel that is more than enough time to cast your votes. Happy voting!

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Terrakion

I'd really hate to see this thing not get a spot on this list. If Ferrothorn was the face of BW defense, then Terrakion should be considered the face of BW offense. Although it isn't as dominant as it was in BW1, Terrakion has left an extremely significant impact on the tier by basically setting the bar for offense. It's one of the reasons this generation has become so offensive. It set the benchmark for speed tiers, saying fuck you to the old 100 base bench mark and skyrocketing it up to 108. It can run a myriad of offensive sets thanks to its amazing Speed, high attack, and an incredible dual STAB combination. It's Scarf set was so terrifying in BW1 that many considered Technician Breloom and Scizor a necessity on most teams. The fact that Terrakion set the bar for offence, forced the tier to adapt to its presence, and was one of the most dangerous offensive Pokemon throughout this entire generation, I believe that it should be #8. There's never been a situation where Terrakion has sucked. It always has, and always will be, one of the best Pokemon of this generation.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm shocked that Genesect finally made it, I was really hoping that it would continue getting barely outvoted at least until the tenth spot.

Anyways, back to Terrakion. The beast that set the obnoxiously high 108 speed benchmark more than deserves a place here, and it's definitely the number one reason why people say Fighting types are so dominant this generation.

Landorus-Incarnate.
Come on guys, this thing needs to be on the list somewhere. Throughout the duration of Gen V OU it has been feared as one of the best late-game cleaners in history. It had wonderful abilities, perfect stats, a superb movepool, and a great typing (both defensively and offensively). What pushes this thing over the edge for me, however, is the sheer amount of sets it could run, similarly to Jirachi or Mew. From Rock Polish to Choice to the scaryasfuck Gravity set, there was nothing considered a hard counter. As well as this, it was only banned recently, meaning it had plenty of time to show its impact on the metagame.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Terrakion

As the face of Gen V OU fighting types, nothing deserves this spot more. It has a potent STAB combination in rock and fighting, an awesome base 108 speed which basically set the bar for all Pokemon in the meta, and is a huge reason why priority bullet punch and mach punch are so coveted. It can be an awesome revenge killer with a scarf, wallbreaker with a band, or sweep with either rock polish or swords dance. It is widely known for basically 2HKOing every pokemon in the tier, and is highly responsible for the hugely offensive nature of Gen V.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Landorus-Incarnate.
Come on guys, this thing needs to be on the list somewhere. Throughout the duration of Gen V OU it has been feared as one of the best late-game cleaners in history. It had wonderful abilities, perfect stats, a superb movepool, and a great typing (both defensively and offensively). What pushes this thing over the edge for me, however, is the sheer amount of sets it could run, similarly to Jirachi or Mew. From Rock Polish to Choice to the scaryasfuck Gravity set, there was nothing considered a hard counter. As well as this, it was only banned recently, meaning it had plenty of time to show its impact on the metagame.
A lot of people who only played BW2 have said this, but honestly in BW1 it was "good", that's it, it had solid Checks and Counters but it was still a good consideration for your team, lets not forget that it had heavy competition from chomp and exca early BW1, effectively reducing it's shot at being a full metagame feared threat until veil chomp (not RS chomp) and exca were banned AND it received sheer force, until all of that, lando-i honestly was just "good" in BW1 and pre-sheer force era, after sheer force, it was not really "metagame definning" after BW2 got somewhat semi stablized (tornadus-t, gene AND deo-d were banned before it was even considered as meta definning, talk about late to the party) and even then it's checks were already awesome ass pokes to use in OU like latias and celebi, the uturn set got revenged and the RP set had big problems breaking down the aformentioned checks to it. It was metagame defining (even then keldeo was about as much as a force in the metas as much as it), but only enough to get banned, when you see all these "titans" and metagame forces up in the current top 7, do you really think Lando-I can fit in? or is it time for something like keldeo or terrakion to take the spotlight (lando-i was of titan relevance really only in it's own stage, keldeo and terrak were titan relevant in 2+ stages)

voting Latias though, terrak deserves it, but excadrill, blaziken and veil chomp stages hurt it bad, while latias was consistently awesome in all the stable shifts of OU (pre stage blaziken/excadrill doesn't really count imo as it was barely a "metagame" as much was it was a broken playground for threats to run around it)

Latias was possibly the most consistant special wall in the OU tier, not only that, but it was a good one too, it could become a very terrifying bulky booster sweeper with it's infamous CM and subCM sets, or go on the offensive with bulky specs or bulky LO, LOLati was amazing, it was a defensive and offensive check to so much pokemon, while constantly pressuring the opponent to lose something, or take like 40-100% on their steel(depending on what steel it was) from HP fire. Lets not even mention that it checked like 75% of the suspects this generation.

Voting for Terrakion because as everyone's already explained, it's been a consistent top threat since the beginning of the generation. Considered Latios and Jirachi but they're probably more deserving of 9th or 10th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)