Project The Top 10 Titans of the 6th Gen OU Metagame

Will agree on Greninja for the next spot. God I remember how much this thing just made the concept of "cores" irrelevant with its speed above even that of Alakazam and just flawless 4 STAB coverage. Literally your only hope for so long was hoping that LO recoil and hazards would do enough of the job for you. It's kind of like an inferior Deoxys that can't be Pursuit trapped. It centralized to the point where you were at a disadvantage for not using one, and always at a disadvangtage until you knew what moves it was carrying. And that's the other thing, because it wasn't a mega, EVERY team could use one, and frankly at the time, you'd be stupid not to.

I mean, of all the mon banned the generation, how many of them aren't either a Mega or a Legendary? Outside of Aegeslash, I don't remember, and that will likely be my third vote lol. Just... ridiculous.

What effect did Deoxys-Speed have on the metagame?
Much like its Defense forme, Deoxys-S had access to the two best hazards: Stealth Rock and Spikes. It also had access to the other utility moves that Deoxys-D had, like Taunt and Magic Coat, although it didn't always run them due to having decent offenses and great coverage to beat just about anything. The big impact Deoxys-S made on the metagame that it alongside Defense forme gave hyper offense such a HUGE advantage in the hazard game by pretty much being able to guarantee 2 layers of hazards up, which was ridiculous. So many offensive threats were in the meta at the time, making Deoxys-S a great asset to have on a team. However, another big effect Deoxys-S had was that it could also turn into a huge offensive threat, which is below.

In what main roles was Deoxys-Speed used?
Unlike its Defense forme, Deoxys-S had two roles: hazard setter and offensive cleaner, usually on more hyper offensive teams with other threats in the back. Hazard setter is really obvious, it's just like the Defense forme. However, an offensive set was where it was different. Thanks to its decent offenses and insane speed and coverage, it was a really troublesome threat in the teambuilder, but even more so during actual battles where people had to play mindgames with which coverage moves it was running. It's insane speed stat allowed it to outspeed everything up to Jolly Scarf Garchomp if you invested fully with a positive nature.

What caused it to have a significant impact?
It's speed stat was the biggest factor. Outspeeding everything was huge and gave teams a great asset against fastmons on opposing teams. Like Deoxys-D, access to a great movepool with offensive and supportive options also helped it a lot to become so centralizing and making HO the best playstyle of the time. Its versatility was absolutely huge as well, it could do every job you gave it incredibly well...hazard setter, cleaner, revenge killer...it did that all. It was so incredibly unpredictable.

How do/did you deal with this Pokemon in OU?
Magic Bounce users, although rare, also could stop Deoxys-S. However, if you lead off believing it was a hazard setter and turned out to be offensive, then it would be a headache guessing its moveset especially because it could still afford to run Rocks or Spikes. Fast taunters didn't work either, so Magic Bounce was the best way to stop it or remove the hazards later on something else. Offensively, priority worked well as it wasn't really bulky, and a team would require a really fast Scarf user like Latios or Keldeo to revenge kill without using priority. Defensively, you'd need a really bulky neutrality to take it on, but even then, Life Orb Psycho Boost would hurt because its power wasn't nerfed to 130 like other similar moves (Draco Meteor, Overheat, and Leaf Storm). There wasn't a whole lot of counterplay to offensive sets except carrying multiple checks and hoping it didn't have the coverage move to blast through them.

Greninja

Like seriously, as much as I like Clefable and Lando-T they were never at the level of it, this thing was the definition of brainless when it was allowed, you need to gamble into losing one of your mons when scouting its movepool or just go to straightly sacrificing one, it was so adaptable to a team, just pick 4 moves that you needed and thats it, unlike other offensive mons that almost always need to stick to their STABs for the obviously needed power, Greninja didn't care about that, is similar to Aegislash in that you either run it or be at an incredible disadvantage and need to expend 2 mons to try to check it.

Please keep in mind that this thread isn't necessarily about which Pokemon were the most threatening or the most dangerous. It's about which ones were the most influential, and influence comes in a variety of forms. For example, I see a lot of emphasis on how much pressure a candidate puts on teambuilding and not a lot about how much pressure it takes away (this is also a problem I see a lot in the VR discussions, but I digress). A good example of this in the BW project was Ferrothorn, who landed the #3 spot last generation. In all actuality, Ferrothorn wasn't exactly the kind of Pokemon that put a ton of pressure on teambuilding. Not like some of the lower ranked titans, anyway. The reason it was so highly regarded was because it made an impact in the opposite fashion. It helped take pressure off of teambuilding by being one of the best Pokemon at combating Rain and the powerful Dragons that dominated the metagame. It defined defense in BW OU and strongly helped hold the metagame together, which is the situation that Landorus-T has found itself in for the bulk of 6th Gen. While you might say that Landorus-T's influence was more reactive than anything (arguably like Ferrothorn in BW), you also have to consider how much things would be shaken up if Landorus-T were to suddenly disappear. Its absence would be felt strongly, and I think that's a sign of a strong influence. Now, is that particular brand of influence enough to counterbalance the effect that powerhouses like Greninja and Landorus had on the metagame? Well, that's up to you to decide. I definitely love that this topic has sparked some interesting discussion, though.

At any rate, the voting is actually pretty close this time! So far Landorus-T has 7 votes and Greninja has 9, which is a huge difference from the blowouts we've had in the last two rounds. Because of this, I'd like to give this round a little extra time. Therefore, voting will be extended to 12:00 PM (EST) tomorrow. Any votes after noon will not be counted. With any luck, I'll have a chance to update the OP shortly afterwards. If not, it'll be a little later tomorrow afternoon, and then we'll just start the next round as we normally would.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Lando-t
greninja was amazing on offense and broken as hell, but it really only had the life orb set (maybe hazards but i dont count that set). Lando-t could be rocks, scarf, double dance, etc. Overall a more versatile and impactful mon

Sigh people are failing to understand the differences between currently metagame defining and consistently metagame defining. Landorus-T provides a ton to teams, sure, but does Landorus-T's viability reflect on the fact that it has been a metagame defining force? Not really, instead it's been a Pokemon that's been adapting to check these metagame titans; thus, it's a mon that's revolved around the metagame, not one which has the metagame revolve around it. Think about the influence each Pokemon has had on its peers: Has Landorus-T's usage due to Charizard-X reflect the fact that Landorus-T is a metagame titan, or is it simply a factor in the overwhelming influence Zard-X has had on the tier? Just some food for thought, sorry if this is not exactly relevant.

Greninja: 9
Landorus-T: 8
Clefable: 3
Mega Sableye: 2
Deoxys-D: 1
Hoopa-U: 1
Gothitelle: 1

One extra vote, but it didn't change the outcome. Greninja wins a close one! It was one of the dominant offensive forces in early XY. Its Protean ability pushed its power far beyond what its average SpA stat would suggest, its coverage gave it an option for nearly any opponent, and its speed was nothing short of excellent. Its ORAS tutor moves boosted its strength even further, giving it new ways to beat checks like Chansey and Clefable and eventually leading to its ban. Next up...

Voting for #4

I'm going to go ahead and give my ballot to Landorus-T again.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go crazy and nominate Hoopa-Unbound. I dunno if it deserves slot 4 (hell probably not), but Hoopa-Unbound not only borked the meta but also made people realize how damn good Pursuit is, which lead to a big increase seeing it (even on Mega Scizor).

Lando-T again.

One last comment I'll make about Lando-T along with what Gibbs said. What I forgot to mention before was the sheer amount of things that have to run HP Ice or Ice Punch/Beam just for this guy alone to kill it faster or otherwise not get walled by it. Granted they also are meant for covering other things too like Gliscor, D.nite, Garch, etc. But who ranks at the top in usage? This guy.

I know it will be mentioned again and again, but usage is probably the main thing keeping me from voting for stuff like Mega Sableye and Gothitelle for high spots. To exclude Lando-T from a top spot would be like excluding Scizor from the BW Titans list by usage, because in the back of the minds of the most, you most likely prepared for it in one way or another if you played BW OU yet it made it no less of a threat or thorn in your side at times.

/rant

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gothitelle

This thing literally made people run Shed Shell Nasty Plot Heal Bell Togekiss just to beat the team that it was most commonly featured on. If you think that it isn't centralizing then you must be a damn liar.

also change thread title ples

Just another reminder to please type your vote in bold text. This makes it a lot easier to keep track of votes, especially if we have a lot of non-vote discussion posts in the mix like we did last round. Also, please refrain from using bold text outside of votes.

In addition, I've decided that I'm going to designate a hard cutoff of 8:00 PM (EST) on each day that the voting ends. In the event that we have another super close vote, I'd like to have a cutoff decided ahead of time rather than end the round at some arbitrary time. That way it won't look like I choose to close voting as soon as I get the result I want (I was worried that it might look that way last round if Landorus-T came back and won, but Greninja ended up winning anyway, so it didn't matter).

Gothitelle

This thing can decide games by itself and single-handedly made games win or loss from Team Preview. While it manages to keep Stall viable, it is also a tool for offense to remove annoying theeats and get an easy win. The fact that it also forces Heatran, Manaphy and Skarmory to run Shed Shell is proof of how this thing wraps the meta around itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)