Project The Top 10 Titans of the Gen 7 Ubers Metagame

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to our fifth winner!
:sm/xerneas:

Although less varied than the last round, this is the closest one we had yet. Xerneas takes the cake with 11 votes, while Marshadow is the runner-up with just 3 votes less than Xerneas, ending at 8.

These are our nominees for #6 (you can still click on them and see their nominations and why you should vote for that Pokémon):

Remember, those ranking are for the most influentional Pokémon on the meta, not the best, so, if you think that Primal Kyogre changes the Teambuilding more than Zygarde, but Zygarde is a better Pokémon, then you should vote for Kyogre. This rank also keeps in mind all of gen 7, not just USUM. So, while this doesn't make Pokémon the Necrozma formes and Marshadow unable to compete with the others, do keep in mind that they weren't here from the start.

To vote, you simply needs to say the name of the Pokémon you're voting for; you don't need to provide a motive, but that would be appreciated. Discussion during the voting stages also is encouraged.

I'll keep my vote with Marshadow, changed Arceus set, is one of the reasons why psyspam is used to help specific Pokémon, Pokémon with SD can't blindly setup anymore, and removed Arceus-Ghost from the game.

Last edited:
I'll go with Zyg here. Glaire + his bulk made pdon double dance "less" strong, becoming the best ho-oh check, making Mence less scary then what he was before and also become an offensive threat you've to be prep of ( IB ceus everywhere, dtail, xern scarf... )

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Close call between Marsh, UNecro and Zyg. Although most are probably gonna vote for Marsh, I want to show why Zyg and Unecro both are serious contenders for this slot.

:marshadow:
Marshadow does not have flexibility as far as movepool is concerned, with LO being its best set by a mile and a half. It also does not have overly impressive raw offensive stats. However, those shortcomings are more than balanced out by the primary reason for Marshadow's sheer popularity: its unparalleled revenge killing prowess. Between unresisted strong STAB in Close Combat and a boost-stealing Spectral Thief, priority Technician Shadow Sneak and a form of trapping in Pursuit or further coverage in Rock Tomb/HP Ice, this Pokemon had the means to revenge kill/revenge trap nearly the entire offensive/bulky offensive metagame with minimal or no chip damage.

:zygarde-complete:
Zygarde on the other hand finally provided us with a sturdy Ho-Oh and PDon answer, while also being a phenomenal blanket check to pretty much every physical attacker with both its defensive RestTalk sets and its GlareCoil sets. In addition to that, builders also needed to keep its plethora of offensive sets in mind while teambuilding. Zygarde was able to run any combination of Outrage/Toxic/Glare/Dragon Tail/Sub/Extreme Speed/Thousand Waves/Rest along with Dragon Dance and Thousand Arrows with Leftovers/Groundium/Dragonium equipped and pretty much call it a set. Along with Yveltal, it was definitely the most customizable offensive and defensive threat throughout the entire generation, which is why I believe Zygarde is a serious contender for this slot and should not be slept on.

:necrozma-ultra:
And lastly we have Ultra Necrozma. This Pokemon is a bit harder to evaluate as a part of its viability stems from the ease of setup the defensive values of its base form provides to its complete form. Nevertheless, it is hard to throw aside the fact that Ultra Necrozma has been uncontested in the wallbreaking role throughout the generation. Its breaking prowess is so ridiculously good that even the supermajority of Balance teams, an archetype that normally seeks to check the wallbreaking mons of the tier with their defensive core, had to resort to offensive countermeasures such as Scarf Xern/Yveltal, Marsh or MGar in order to properly check it. Its only four (somewhat) defensive checks in Arceus Dark, Mega Sab, defensive Lunala and defensive Yveltal were all very easy to take advantage of with hazards/fairies, which increased its general output in battle even more.

Whatever the outcome of this round turns out to be, I firmly believe the next three slots unanimously should go to these three forces.

Marsh had very influential consequences on the meta, which were outlined by Ropalme1914 already.
Zygarde caused the popularization of HP Ice/Ice Beam on a ton of mons (Marsh, PDon, Support Arceus forms, Ditto). It also made trappers (MGar/Goth) inherently better due to the many passive/defensive mons people equipped in order to deal with it. Defensive Ho-Oh is considered a better set than offensive Ho-Oh, mostly due to Zygarde. Mons that were previously used to check/pivot into ground types (Ho-Oh, Yveltal, Mega Mence) did not suffice as the only ground checks anymore.
As for UNecro, it massively popularized Webs at some point in the USM meta, was a driving force behind the popularization of revenge killers like Scarf Xern/Yveltal, Marsh and MGar, necessitated MGar on many Stall teams and caused massive teambuilding headaches due to its sheer power, versatility between sets and Dusk/Ultra guess games.

Personally, I've always experienced more stress due to UNecro's presense. Thus, my final vote goes to Ultra

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)