The Well #68 - brightobject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
what are the keys to good character design? how does this apply to creating characters in non-artistic medium, like making a personality for a wwe wrestler (just an example)?

what was deviantart like in terms of skill levels of the people on the platform? what was it like in terms of ease of showing your art to a bunch of people, and is there anything around today that replicates it?

do you have any dice on hand? how many times do you have to throw them before you get two sixes?

if you had to make raticate into the coolest pokemon ever how would you do it?

obligatory: best pokemon character design? best pokemon design?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
least favourite horse?
uhh...curly horse

what are the keys to good character design? how does this apply to creating characters in non-artistic medium, like making a personality for a wwe wrestler (just an example)?

what was deviantart like in terms of skill levels of the people on the platform? what was it like in terms of ease of showing your art to a bunch of people, and is there anything around today that replicates it?

do you have any dice on hand? how many times do you have to throw them before you get two sixes?

if you had to make raticate into the coolest pokemon ever how would you do it?

obligatory: best pokemon character design? best pokemon design?
i dont think there are any silver bullets in terms of character / visual design, since it varies so much depending on context (like you mentioned wwe is gonna be looking for different things than pokemon)-but one really important thing for me is silhouette (if not through the overall shapes, than through establishing distinct shape language within the silhouette). Obviously this gets limited depending on your context (for example, a relatively realistic TV drama wont be able to have giants alongside normal sized humans like One Piece, so makeup and costume will be pulling a lot more of the work re: the immediate read). Other things would be variety-especially thinking about phenotypes--I really dislike any kind of media where everyone somehow manages to look the same even with wacky hairstyles and such.

Huge variety, from seasoned pros to the 12 year olds people associate with the website generally. IT honestly was kind of rough, but there was this function called groups, which was like a more formalized way of tagging posts. Facebook art groups function pretty similarly, but of course it's not the same....

I do not D:

Tough one...I think changing its feet and claws a bit to feel more powerful instead of kind of disembodied and floppy would be important. I might even like...change it to match more of a guinea pig / tanky looking build. I just think as it is it ends up looking like such a jobber despite some cool vibes from the face and gnashing teeth.

I really like Mars from Team Galactic. There's a lot of great Pokemon designs but in terms of my favorite...honest to god I think it's Golem lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)