There's a sandstorm blowing out in here (UU)

This is a RMT for a UU Sandstorm team I made, which is going pretty well :toast:
It consists of some offense, and some bulk, I guess...here's the team:

Now to the detailed stuff! Changes to Pokemon/moves, etc will be made in italics.

Hippopotas @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Defense
Impish
Stealth Rock - Used to cripple the opponents together with sandstorm.
Slack Off - A reliable 50% recovery move for when my health gets low.
Yawn - A sleep move that sometimes encourages switching, which builds up Stealth Rock damage.
Earthquake - An offensive STAB move to stop some taunters. (Taunt Mismagius or Gligar still stop it)

Having Hippopotas on my team prevents me from using Sandstorm every 5-8 turns, making it an obvious choice. I use it as my lead as I want to start the Sandstorm as soon as possible in the game, and it's capable of setting up Stealth Rock with it's defenses. Basically a solid team member that has no chance of being removed.

Clefable @ Flame Orb
Magic Guard
252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Bold
Softboiled - Used to heal a nice amount of HP for more survivability.
Trick - Allows me to cripple walls, and physical attackers with the Flame Orb.
Encore - An annoying move that can lock the opponents into a move.
Seismic Toss - A move that deals a consistent 100 damage to everything except ghosts.

I use Clefable for a bulky sand-immune Pokemon who can cripple physical attackers while still annoying everything else. Taunt Mismagius ruins this. Encore allows it to ruin some set-uppers, while Softboiled gives it longer lasting time.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Clear Body
252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Special Defense
Careful
Rest - Used together with Sleep Talk to absorb statuses, and heal HP.
Sleep Talk - Allows me to attack while I'm asleep due to Rest.
Curse - Boosts my average Attack and high Defense to extraordinary levels.
Rock Slide - A move that nothing is immune to, has STAB, and is physical, to use Curse's attack boosts.

Regirock is a solid Pokemon lategame (no pun intended). Rest and Sleep Talk is a combo most people should know, and allows this to play like Crocune or Crotomb. Rock Slide has higher PP and accuracy than Stone Edge, making it my prefered choice of move.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
Adamant
Swords Dance - Boosts Attack to 722, which combined with Life Orb makes extreme pain and suffering.
Sucker Punch - An awesome, good base power priority move, but has the sad drawback of the opponents needing to attack.
Seed Bomb - Is a decent STAB move with a good base power. This used to be Needle Arm for the flinching chance.
Brick Break - Allows me to smash Steel-type Pokemon, and break Screens.

Cacturne is a great sweeper, with Swords Dance, nice Attack, and Sand Veil. Unless I mispredict, Cacturne usually nets me at least one kill in a battle.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Defense
Impish
Pain Split - Allows me to recover some HP, and can pick off some frail Pokemon when used with Sucker Punch.
Sucker Punch - This move allows Spiritomb to play mindgames, using Taunt, and then either Sucker Punching, Pain Splitting, or Will-O-Wisping.
Will-O-Wisp - Allows me to burn physical attackers, crippling them for the rest of the game.
Taunt - Forces the opponents to attack or switch, meaning I can sometimes get a free Sucker Punch off.

Spiritomb is a good fighting immune Pokemon for my team. It can cripple most physical attackers, using it's variety of annoying moves. It's usually what I switch into most things too.

Gabite @ Choice Scarf
Sand Veil
4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Adamant
Outrage - A strong STAB move, but with a drawback; I'm locked into the move for 2-3 turns, and after that, Gabite becomes confused.
Earthquake - Another great STAB move, providing Gabite with better coverage, but Flying-types and Levitators love switching in.
Toxic - Toxic is here to cripple things that wall me, such as Slowbro or Gabite. Fire Blast used to be in this place.
Dragon Claw - A STAB move with less power than Outrage or Earthquake, but with no big drawbacks.

Gabite is my team's main revenge killer, dealing some decent damage off it's base 90 Attack stat. I'm trying out Toxic to cripple my counters, at the moment.

Threat List:
To be made.

I hope this team's descriptions are enough for the rules (just tell me and I can try to edit it ._.,,), and hope for some information on it.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Nice team, first off seed bomb on cacturne for the higher base power. Does Regirock even need sleep talk? after a couple of curses not much can 3HKO it. I'd drop sleep talk for Earthquake. I might add more later, nice team.

On Cacturne, I would prefer if he really took advantage of the Sandstorm. At the moment, he is simply an SD sweeper that will enjoy an occasional miss. Therefore, this Cacturne set will devastate the opponents:

Cacturne @ Brightpowder
Adamant
Sand Veil
252 Attack/4 Def/252 Speed
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Substitute
Focus Punch

Here, you have a tremendous chance of running through the opponent's team. 100% accurate moves (like Ice Beam) now have 72% accuracy (a little better than Focus Blast). That free turn can net you a substitute or a Swords Dance. Then, feel free to run through the opponent's team with the almost resisted type coverage (Toxicroak) of Fighting/Dark. Focus Punch if they are not going to attack you or if Dark isn't very effective, and Sucker Punch is nasty priority because eventually, they will have to attack to break your sub. Requires a bit of prediction and luck, but is consistent enough to work in all of your matches.

I support the Hippopotas lead, but his defenses are 68/78/32. That's terrible. You need Stealth Rock on the field, so I would give the little hippo a Focus Sash to be sure you get the SR off.

To be perfectly honest, I have no experience with ScarfGabite. Although, I abused ScarfChomp in DP to a fair extent. I would consider Toxic over Fire Blast. Here's why: Dragon/Ground is perfect coverage in UU, as both Skarmory and Bronzong do not exist and Bronzor is never used. So, all you need is Outrage/Dragon Claw/Earthquake. In DP, I used Toxic on my ScarfChomp to make sure its counters could not counter me forever. If you know, say, Slowbro is going to counter your Gabite, use Toxic on the switch to cripple him for the rest of the match. I also question how hard this thing hits, with 90 Attack, but there isn't much else in terms of Sand revenging in UU. So I guess that is your best bet.

Congrats on a well made team and good luck with it.

i suggest a different nature on gabite if you're going to use fire blast. but with such a low base special attack power, i'd suggest switching to aerial ace to take care of grass types and switching dragon claw to stone edge

Regirock is setup bait for Gallade, then he's going to kill your face unless Clefable can get a burn on him. I don't think Gabite's Outrage will OHKO, but I guess it's enough to let the sand and life orb damage take him out afterwards...if Gabite goes down first, though, you're done.

If this were F2 I'd say Dugtrio over Gabite, but since it's banned here I honestly don't think another sand pokemon is what you need. Consider Staraptor?

Use this set:

Cradily@ Leftovers
Adamant/Suction Cups
112 HP/ 252 ATK/ 144 SPE
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Recover/Protect

Send it out late game. SD as you see fit, attack, and Recover off damage. Suction Cups means no phazing, and this this is hard to take down in the sandstorm thanks to the boost. This is on my SS team, and it's great. Replace Clefable maybe? and if you're looking for more bulk, 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD is the best spread.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

@ panamaxis/SDS: I thought Needle Arm might help with random flinches, but I'll probably change it to Seed Bomb now.
@ friar04: I'll change Fire Blast to Toxic for some testing now, even though usually against Slowbro/Claydol they take about 34% on the first Outrage, and then I get lucky, crit, and KO them, but I guess it's a bit too unreliable. I'll also try out the Cacturne set.
@ Dragoknight08: I'll probably use friar04's advice and use Toxic instead.
@ Kittymew: Gallade and Staraptor are currently off the UU ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)