Policy Review Thread Hogging

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also I just wanna respond to this:
I see what PSG is saying, but we need to remember that thread hogging by artists is often prompted specifically because when the thread is moving fast, their design gets pushed off the most recent page. So the artist "bumps" their design by posting supporting art or whatever, to keep it visible to everyone on the most recent page. So giving people license to keep their art on the most recent page in a fast-moving thread, is specifically encouraging the thread hogging and "art spam arms race" that we want to avoid.
Demonizing this kind of practice is too heavy handed if you ask me. It is an enthusiasm-crushing practice. If you're making new art to keep your design fresh and visible and in people's minds, to try and get more feedback on it, and to try and refine your ideas, A+ for you. If it's a simple repose or rough sketch and you are doing that sort of thing a lot, it falls under the "not a significant update" rule. In general though, if it's not happening *every* page of the thread, I see no reason in penalizing this. One post per page is a reasonable limit in a fast-moving thread, especially if you're commenting on other peoples' art, unless you are posting once per page for a large number of pages, at which point we can warn via PM.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks fine to me. I think the language about "silence is feedback," while harsh, is notable for new users that are constantly looking for feedback on the tiniest things. Perhaps we could rephrase it to emphasize going on #cap for additional feedback?

But yes, let's just remove like-talk and the hard limits for now. I don't think switching over to two threads will be difficult to do, but we might as well think about it until the end of this CAP.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Two threads
I agree this policy decision on two threads probably should not be rushed in immediately prior to opening the thread. The practice of discussing significant policy changes during downtime is a good idea in general and should be applied here. We'll discuss two threads later, when we aren't pressured by the current project pace.

Begging
On the "No begging for feedback" language, I agree it should be softened a bit. But I do think we need to tell people "Silence is the feedback" -- because it is true. There are WAY too many artists that are not very skilled, and people don't comment on the art because they don't have anything good to say about it. Or alternatively, the art execution may be decent enough, but the design itself is simply... unremarkable or uninteresting. So no one says anything about it.

I've posted designs that got little to no feedback myself. Does that make me a bad artist? No. But it definitely is "feedback" that no one looked at that particular design of mine and felt it was worth commenting on. And that is a big indication that I probably don't have a winner on my hands, to put it mildly.

I agree the current language in the OP kinda comes off as, "If people don't comment on your art, then you really suck. Fuck off." -- And that is not the message we want to convey. But we should tell people the simple reality that silence IS feedback, and to recognize it as such. I also like Birkal's suggestion about #cap. Perhaps we could change the wording to this:

No bumping art or begging for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the #cap IRC channel for open real-time discussion on CAP art.

Threadhogging rule of thumb
I'm fine with eliminating the rule of thumb and just moderating subjectively. We'll see how people post and how much moderation is required this time, which can inform potential future discussion about changing the rules or changing the wording of the OP.

If there are no further objections, I'd like to wrap this up ASAP and open the art thread. So please comment, if anything mentioned above is not going to work.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes, let's move ahead with a commitment from mods (and whoever else is interested) to pay close attention to the activity of the thread. I'll try to keep a log of how things are going with a .txt so that I can be consistent with moderation, and report back afterwards.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No bumping art or begging for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the #cap IRC channel for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
This is probably minor and ultimately up to your discretion, but I think beyond just #cap that you may consider listing the PS CAP room as an avenue for CAP art discussion as well. We recently voiced another CAP artist, so now there's a handful of active artists within the PS CAP room. In general I feel like the CAP PS room and the Art PS room have a growing relationship as well, so cross-room help is somewhat plausible on PS and makes it easier to give advice, share tutorials, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)