ORAS UU Thug Squad - First attempt

So after using a lot of sample teams and sticking on the ladder for good amount of time, i thought to myself that i should try building a team myself and learn more and this is what i ended up drafting. So, lets get into it.

I decided to include this build around one of my favourite pokes Hydreigon. This thing is a beast and hits very hard and nothing really comes in on a draco unless it is a fairy or a pink blob. I opted for the specs set since it hits very hard and really smokes stuff late-game and is pretty strong right now.

Then i decided to pair it up with the best mega going around currently and something that pairs well with hydreigon as both pack decent power to wreck havoc mid to late game. Aero-mega takes care of fast threats and eliminates nuisances such as mega beedrill and mega sceptile as well as taking care of some fire types and fighting types and breaking grass types for the team.

I needed something that can act as a emergency blanket check to any fairy as well as something that can pack decent resistances without being dead weight and escavalier fit the bill and i completely love this guy right now with sylveon and celebi flying around on every 2nd team.

Next i added a bulky water to check fire types better and suicune checks and sets up on a lot of things and unprepared teams do get swept. Suicune is also my team's defensive answer to all the banded attackers out there who try to punch holes in the team.

I lacked hazards and stealth rock is so broken technically that not running it is like intentionally maiming your team and i needed electric immunity. I opted krookodile as my stealth rocker as it has decent natural bulk and intimidate always helps in soft checking physical hitters. Krook's main role here is to set hazards and ko what it needs to.

In the final slot i needed a cleric and sylveon seemed pretty fit in the role since it has decent natural bulk and all the moves needed. Sylveon being a fairy also gives me a crucial immunity to dragon as nothing on my team really takes a draco or other moves comfortably and my team also hates status spams.

Thug Lucifer (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

This is the hero and the building point of my team right here. Choice Specs makes him a terrifying offensive presence on the field and grab various ko'es. Max Speed and special attack investment to be as fast as possible while hitting decently hard as well. Draco Meteor is a nuclear nuke and most of the things can't come in without getting dented and it breaks mons for my other teammates. Dark Pulse is obvious stab and punishes psychic types and hits various things for neutral damage. Flash cannon got replaced with fire blast to hit steel and grass types in the tier. U-turn is in the final slot of momentum and running out of bad matchups and to some degree allows me to bluff scarf.

Thug Wilson (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit
- Defog

Max speed investment to take full advantage of that absurd speed tier. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are self explanatory stab and hit most mons for good damage and take care of flying, fight, grass etc.
Pursuit to catch and trap some psychic and ghost types or maim something on the switch and getting mega-beedrill as worn out as possible is very important as that thing won't just stop u-turning everywhere. As i could not find myself fitting a rapid spinner or defog user in my team i decided to use defog on mega-aero here and super fast defog really helps as it prevents hazard stack and sticky web shenanigans.

Thug Knight (Escavalier) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

I just love using this mon right now and it's one of my favorites. I wanted something that could have great amount of resists and not lacking that offensive presence at the same time and unlike forretress this thing is not to passive. Decent bulk across the board and a respectable attack stat to boot it up. The only thing that this thing thing does not have is speed, it's slower than a turtle. Leftovers for recovery and overcoat helps deal with gimmicks. 248 hp and 204 spd allow me to take hits from both sides of the spectrum and adamant nature with 56 investment allows me to deal good damage at the same time.
Megahorn is strong stab and 2hko'es every cresselia variant and ohko any varient of celebi. Iron Head does about 60-70% on defensive florges and ohko sylveon with a medium roll. This bad boy's stab really ruins the centralizing mons of the meta currently. Knock Off has amazing utility and hits psychic/ghosts for good damage and finally i run protect on the last slot to scout for incoming fire attacks/hidden power fire and lock choice users to switch in accordingly.

Thug King (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Classic calm mind suicune puts in work as always. Scald is hax lord's own move burns happen all the time. Calm mind setup on various mons and finally rest and sleep talk for complete recovery without giving away dead turns. My team lacks a decent phazer so i just might remove calm mind to run roarcune to make things easier but i am not sure yet.

Thug Lord (Krookodile) (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Krook is here to provide electric immunity and set up rocks for the team as mega-aero and hydreigon put in lot of work amidst hazards. Knock Off is stab and again no mon likes to loose it's items. Earthquake hits for decent damage and dents weak links in opposing team and finally superpower in the final slot to hit curselax harder and bop shuca berry users who don't fear earthquake and switch in or stay in.

Thug Queen (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Cleric Sylveon is the glue to my team and helps hold the team together. Wish and protect combo allow to to stall out something or pass it to others mons to keep them healthy throughout the match. Hyper Voice hits hard and smokes the double D - Dark and dragon with ease. Finally heal bell to suppress burns and provide medical aid wherever necessary.

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Thug Wilson (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit
- Defog

Thug Knight (Escavalier) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Thug King (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Thug Lord (Krookodile) (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Thug Queen (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Improvements and suggestions are welcome and any set mistakes or impending synergy needs to be excused as this is my legit first attempt to build a competitive UU team :3

Last edited:
Because Escavalier acts as a strong Fairy check (though I personally prefer Metagross in that role), Flash Cannon on Hydreigon isn't a necessity at all. I recommend Fire Blast instead, since there are substantially more Grass and Steel types to hit in UU than there are Fairy types, some of which you may otherwise struggle to break. There's also the option of making Hydreigon a Life Orb attacker with Roost in one of the last two slots, which is harder for opponents to take advantage of.

Also, it seems like there's a lot of pressure on Hydreigon to break bulky Waters, some of which carry decently powerful Ice moves. Replacing Suicune with an Assault Vest Slowking set with Grass Knot (and Dragon Tail for phasing) might help out there, as well as covering up your slight Fighting weakness, but it comes at the cost of losing that excellent blanket physical check, so that's more just something to consider than a straight up recommendation.

Last edited:
Because Escavalier acts as a strong Fairy check (though I personally prefer Metagross in that role), Flash Cannon on Hydreigon isn't a necessity at all. I recommend Fire Blast instead, since there are substantially more Grass and Steel types to hit in UU than there are Fairy types, some of which you may otherwise struggle to break. There's also the option of making Hydreigon a Life Orb attacker with Roost in one of the last two slots, which is harder for opponents to take advantage of.

Also, it seems like there's a lot of pressure on Hydreigon to break bulky Waters, some of which carry decently powerful Ice moves. Replacing Suicune with an Assault Vest Slowking set with Grass Knot (and Dragon Tail for phasing) might help out there, as well as covering up your slight Fighting weakness, but it comes at the cost of losing that excellent blanket physical check, so that's more just something to consider than a straight up recommendation.
Hm, well flash cannon on hydreigon did catch some fairy types but overall fire blast seems better. I replaced flash cannon with fire blast, nice change :3
Also, suicune is kinda like so good at it's job it's hard to replace it, i was thinking to add celebi w/ rocks instead of krookodile to handle bulky waters better ?

Hey! Fun looking balance squad!
Just a few things I wanna tweak; the team as it stands severely struggles to break past stuff like CurseLax or CM Suicune;

Since you're running Wish support, I'd actually suggest running SD Escavalier which is actually really good in this metagame, and fits on this team really well because you cover most of the things that check it like Entei/Arcanine. SD+Rest/Talk+Megahorn is another set that could also work decently here.
Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

As you are running Support Sylveon, I want to make a note that because of having Synthesis Florges at times will probably be more useful; not for any difference in bulk, but because the one turn recovery in many cases can come handy.
Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

You lack speed control, so running Scarf Hydreigon is probably better for your team. Taunt+LO is also another set that fits here really nicely. And gives you an additional way to stop Suicune from getting out of hand.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Seeing as how you have Heal Bell, and how you are severely pressured by SD Cobalion, I want to suggest running Tentacruel>Suicune; Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards, while which in turn lets you run Pursuit MAerodactyl
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Last but not least, since this the team wasn't built around Specs Sylveon or anything...I think that CM Cresselia could probably work over Krookodile. Gives you a win condition and stuff, stops Mamoswine from being a pain, etc. The speed EVs creep Jolly Crawdaunt iirc
Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

SD Esca>Protect Escav
defensive spin Tenta>Cune
CM Cress>Krook
Scarf or LO Taunt Hydrei>Specs

Enjoy!

Hm, well flash cannon on hydreigon did catch some fairy types but overall fire blast seems better. I replaced flash cannon with fire blast, nice change :3
Also, suicune is kinda like so good at it's job it's hard to replace it, i was thinking to add celebi w/ rocks instead of krookodile to handle bulky waters better ?
You want to pivot more than suicune allows and you also need a better way to manage waters and a secondary fighting resist that... doesn't lose to cobalion and lucario. Now these changes could take up half the team or...

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Done. You even get to keep the nickname.

Pack pursuit over knock on escav to remove celebugs. Dual suit may seem weird but between aero and buge you can remove most if not all of kings counters and this actually puts your cleric to work.

Last edited:

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, cool looking team you have got going. Here are some ideas to try to improve it

• U-Turn on Specs Hydreigon doesnt seem very useful, considering you would rather just get a hit most of the time. Fire Blast doesnt do much on the specs set either, that is why i'd like to suggest a movest change to run Draco Meteor/Dark Pulse/Flash Cannon/Focus Blast. This set basically leaves Hydreigon without any safe switch in which is greatly appreciated for a wallbreaker.

• The team looks really weak to Cobalion and the match up versus fighting type seems tough as well. Using Calm Mind Slowking over Suicune would fix this weakness and gives you a very reliable win condition in general. Having a one turn recovery makes it less passive which means you wont lose momentum as easily. It also gives you a more reliable answer to Nidos that are annoying to deal with.

• Using Swords Dance over Protect would make Escavalier much less passive and allow it to break bulky teams. It beats curse Snorlax which is huge considering how much trouble it gives to the team.

• An optional chance that might work here: using SR Celebi over Krookodile would improve the match up versus opposing water types and gives you a great pivot overall thanks to the SR + U-turn combination. Celebi also deals better with Ground types that could be a little bit tricky to beat.

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Slack Off

Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Drill Run

Celebi @ Meadow Plate/Yache Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there Aman Indra the team looks pretty good for a first attempt and I am happy to rate it for you! :)
  • I noticed that what you really need a more reliable source of hazard control since Defog on Mega Aerodactyl is not the most ideal option as it loses to common hazard setters and is weak to Stealth Rock itself. It also lacks Roost, which means it gets worn down moreso than it should. I feel like this team would rather appreciate Spikes support to further wear down the foe. For this reason, Forretress > Escavalier is a great change. Specially Defensive Forretress still gives you a solid Fairy switch-in as well as a more reliable way to get rid of entry hazards for the team while also applying more pressure to the opponent with Spikes. Losing Escavalier isn't all that problematic since Forretress fulfills its role while adding hazard control and Spikes to the team, allowing more breathing room on your other Pokemon. Heavy Slam on Forretress allows it to threaten the Fairy-types it checks moreso than Gyro Ball since Forretress is heavier than the common Fairy-types, which aren't fast enough to be hit harder by Gyro Ball.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
  • Next up, the team is really weak to Cobalion and Lucario since you have to constantly pivot into your resists, allowing them to take advantage of these forced switches by setting up a Swords Dance and subsequently sweeping. This team is also weak to opposing Water-types as the common ones such as Suicune and Gyarados can set up and overwhelm this team with ease. I also thought a spinblocker would be key now that the above change has you stacking entry hazards. For this reason, I suggest Jellicent > Suicune. Jellicent gives you a reliable answer to Cobalion and Lucario while also sporting a Water immunity, forcing most Water-types to use their neutral coverage moves against it. With Taunt, Jellicent also serves as a stallbreaker of sorts to force sweepers to attack while wearing them down with Will-O-Wisp and Scald. Colbur Berry is the ideal item as it allows Jellicent to punish Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Mega Sharpedo more easily by hitting them with its STAB moves or crippling them with a burn.

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
  • Lastly, I feel like some of these sets need optimization as they aren't the most effective options. First off, as I already stated with the Forretress change, Defog Mega Aerodactyl doesn't allow it to be effective. This team also lacks a solid win condition, so my suggestion is to run Hone Claws > Defog and Earthquake or Roost > Pursuit. Earthquake provides more coverage while Roost gives Mega Aerodactyl a reliable recovery move to use early-game and to not be as worried about switching into Stealth Rock. This also allows Mega Aerodactyl to threaten the opponent a lot easier than the current set as well as appreciates the entry hazards wearing down its checks and counters. Next up, I feel like Superpower on Krookodile is not an ideal option for a non-Choiced set as it isn't as powerful as it could be and it forces Krookodile out quicker than you may want it to. For that reason, I suggest running Pursuit > Superpower as Pursuit can give you the trapper that you lost with the Mega Aerodactyl changes while taking advantage of the boost in power thanks to STAB and Dread Plate. Hydreigon also threatens the only common Pursuit target that Mega Aerodactyl traps that Krookodile can't, which is Chandelure, leaving Krookodile to have an easier time trapping Psychic-types.

Defog --> Hone Claws
Pursuit --> Earthquake or Roost

Superpower --> Pursuit

Overall, you made a really good team for your first attempt and I hope I helped you! Welcome :)

Hey there Aman Indra the team looks pretty good for a first attempt and I am happy to rate it for you! :)
  • I noticed that what you really need a more reliable source of hazard control since Defog on Mega Aerodactyl is not the most ideal option as it loses to common hazard setters and is weak to Stealth Rock itself. It also lacks Roost, which means it gets worn down moreso than it should. I feel like this team would rather appreciate Spikes support to further wear down the foe. For this reason, Forretress > Escavalier is a great change. Specially Defensive Forretress still gives you a solid Fairy switch-in as well as a more reliable way to get rid of entry hazards for the team while also applying more pressure to the opponent with Spikes. Losing Escavalier isn't all that problematic since Forretress fulfills its role while adding hazard control and Spikes to the team, allowing more breathing room on your other Pokemon. Heavy Slam on Forretress allows it to threaten the Fairy-types it checks moreso than Gyro Ball since Forretress is heavier than the common Fairy-types, which aren't fast enough to be hit harder by Gyro Ball.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
  • Next up, the team is really weak to Cobalion and Lucario since you have to constantly pivot into your resists, allowing them to take advantage of these forced switches by setting up a Swords Dance and subsequently sweeping. This team is also weak to opposing Water-types as the common ones such as Suicune and Gyarados can set up and overwhelm this team with ease. I also thought a spinblocker would be key now that the above change has you stacking entry hazards. For this reason, I suggest Jellicent > Suicune. Jellicent gives you a reliable answer to Cobalion and Lucario while also sporting a Water immunity, forcing most Water-types to use their neutral coverage moves against it. With Taunt, Jellicent also serves as a stallbreaker of sorts to force sweepers to attack while wearing them down with Will-O-Wisp and Scald. Colbur Berry is the ideal item as it allows Jellicent to punish Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Mega Sharpedo more easily by hitting them with its STAB moves or crippling them with a burn.

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
  • Lastly, I feel like some of these sets need optimization as they aren't the most effective options. First off, as I already stated with the Forretress change, Defog Mega Aerodactyl doesn't allow it to be effective. This team also lacks a solid win condition, so my suggestion is to run Hone Claws > Defog and Earthquake or Roost > Pursuit. Earthquake provides more coverage while Roost gives Mega Aerodactyl a reliable recovery move to use early-game and to not be as worried about switching into Stealth Rock. This also allows Mega Aerodactyl to threaten the opponent a lot easier than the current set as well as appreciates the entry hazards wearing down its checks and counters. Next up, I feel like Superpower on Krookodile is not an ideal option for a non-Choiced set as it isn't as powerful as it could be and it forces Krookodile out quicker than you may want it to. For that reason, I suggest running Pursuit > Superpower as Pursuit can give you the trapper that you lost with the Mega Aerodactyl changes while taking advantage of the boost in power thanks to STAB and Dread Plate. Hydreigon also threatens the only common Pursuit target that Mega Aerodactyl traps that Krookodile can't, which is Chandelure, leaving Krookodile to have an easier time trapping Psychic-types.

Defog --> Hone Claws
Pursuit --> Earthquake or Roost

Superpower --> Pursuit

Overall, you made a really good team for your first attempt and I hope I helped you! Welcome :)
Thanks for the rates everyone :) I closely implemented all of your guy's suggestions and ended up having 3 drafts of the same team lol. Sorry for replying late but i was ladder testing and compiling them into a single effective team. Now the team is updated and performs much better than before even if i now don't have a pursuit trapper as i gave up krook for celebi. I also won my first tour yesterday with this so i feel a little confident now :). Forretress does feel a little passive but slow volt switch aint bad and allows mega aero to be offensive.

Current Team Look :

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack

Celebi @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

I think you probably still want Scarf Hydreigon though; and considering how troublesome MDrill is for the team, I'd probably run Pursuit MAero. gj though!

I think you probably still want Scarf Hydreigon though; and considering how troublesome MDrill is for the team, I'd probably run Pursuit MAero. gj though!
Yeah i might revert back to pursuit on m-aero and just off a tour a few mins back and bar celebi m-toise can actually play my team and take out 2-3 members on it's own and also curselax owned me.

Forgot to mention that if you're using cleric sylv, might as well use florg; considering that it has one turn recovery in Synthesis. Also Tentacruel cover Cobalion+Sylv+Mstoise to an extent which is why i suggested that; for curse lax jellicent with taunt wow should be more than enough though.

Forgot to mention that if you're using cleric sylv, might as well use florg; considering that it has one turn recovery in Synthesis. Also Tentacruel cover Cobalion+Sylv+Mstoise to an extent which is why i suggested that; for curse lax jellicent with taunt wow should be more than enough though.
Yeah it seems meritorious over sylveon but yeah it seems the team is still weak to some threats but thats ORAS i guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)