Pokémon Thundurus-I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you seriously just mention Lanturn, Electrode, and Electivire as Pokemon that outclass Thundurus? I seriously don't even know how to respond to that.

Anyway, I might update the OP with physical or mixed sets eventually, as they were practically unheard of when I made this thread. Physical Thundurus makes a great lure for Pokemon such as Latias and Mega Venusaur while also being good on Deoxys-D hyper offense teams thanks to Defiant.
Never did I say specifically those were the Pokemon that outclassed him..? I was just mentioning their high base stats over his that could be more useful in certain situations. So there's no need to sound so obnoxious in your post. It's one thing to defend a Pokemon, it's another to completely blow it out of proportion based off ones personal opinion.

Never did I say specifically those were the Pokemon that outclassed him..? I was just mentioning their high base stats over his that could be more useful in certain situations. So there's no need to sound so obnoxious in your post. It's one thing to defend a Pokemon, it's another to completely blow it out of proportion based off ones personal opinion.
I love how you completely ignored the other posts of whyyour post is incorrect.

Never once will you want to use any of those three over Thunderus-I. Magnezone is the only pokemon you mentioned that really even has a use in OU. Thunderus is no were never outclassed, he is one of the best pokemon in OU. Saying he is mediocre is a pure sign of lack of experience.

Bottom line, Thundurus is mediocre. And Lack of experience when I was at one point top 20 in the OU ladder.. hehe.. Chesnaught, why post?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I thought I was in firebot for a minute because good lord you all got trolled hard.

Anyway 3 pages and no mention of Hidden Power Flying? It's super situational but on Nasty Plot sets it allows you to get a clean 2hko on Mega Venusaur while still getting 2hkos on things like Landorus-T and Garchomp and the like. Definitely not the best option as you lose a fair bit of coverage, but if your team _really_ needs Mega Venusaur gone for something for like, idk, CM ChestoRest Keldeo, it's not a bad lure!

Did you seriously just mention Lanturn, Electrode, and Electivire as Pokemon that outclass Thundurus? I seriously don't even know how to respond to that.

Anyway, I might update the OP with physical or mixed sets eventually, as they were practically unheard of when I made this thread. Physical Thundurus makes a great lure for Pokemon such as Latias and Mega Venusaur while also being good on Deoxys-D hyper offense teams thanks to Defiant.
Even though I have doubts of being S rank, Thundurus is the best Electric pokemon available only behind Arceus-Electric and Zekrom, neither of which you can use in OU.

Electrode are unusable on higher tiers. Lanturn is usable not viable (Rotom-W) in OU. Electivire has a lot of flaws that makes it unviable, at least in OU.

-

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've seen Psychic on some Nasty Plot sets. Any reason to use this over HP Flying?
I guess it has the same base power as STAB HP Flying and allows you to run HP Ice, but you lose out on hitting Lati@s neutrally and give Bisharp/Ferrothorn a free switch in. Psychic overall has worse coverage than Flying does, but it has some use.

Bottom line, Thundurus is mediocre. And Lack of experience when I was at one point top 20 in the OU ladder.. hehe.. Chesnaught, why post?
Thundurus is anything but mediocre. A pokemon that is simple mediocre was not uber last gen, and absolute top OU this gen. Comparing him to pokemon that don't do the same role as him is pretty useless, and thanks to his priority thunder wave he is unique and hard to compare against anything.

Thundurus is anything but mediocre. A pokemon that is simple mediocre was not uber last gen, and absolute top OU this gen. Comparing him to pokemon that don't do the same role as him is pretty useless, and thanks to his priority thunder wave he is unique and hard to compare against anything.
But Klefki can Prio T-Wave and has much better bulk and typing! /troll_mode_off

Just saw this and I really feel that the guy who said thundurus is mediocre is really trolling
Reasons:
1) Thundurus is immune to earthquake. You say just slap an air balloon on a electric type and call it a day?
Well now your electric type can't use an item anymore.
2) As everyone has been saying:
Priority TW. Crippling many non-electric or ground type speed based sweepers.
3) It is a threatening sweeper that can pose a threat to any pokemon weak to electric. Sure you name other pokemon with better stats individually but thundurus has higher special attack than electrode and most of the pokemon you mentioned , higher speed than magnezone and isn't weak to earthquake unlike all of them. Sure put a air balloon but see the first point. And electivire?
Super effective doesn't mean OHKO. It also is out speeded by key threats.

Trolloll...
Thundurus is without doubt the best pokemon in the current ou metagame. I am currently using it in my deoxys-d hyper offensive team as the defog-blocker. I am currently ranked at 137 on the OU ladder. I must say that it is WAY BETTER than bisharp. It is also very good at playing mind games with opposing set-uppers due to its mere presence. It is easier to get boosts with it than bisharp as colbur berry lati@s are getting common these days. Also, defiant thundurus is very unexpected. It just murders teams at 2.

if youve alreayd used leftovers and life orb on your team what is another item that thundurus uses well
Smogon doesn't generally play with an item clause because for that very reason, it limits teambuilding. If you are playing with an item clause under some other ruleset, expert belt/choice specs/choice scarf would be the best options. You could also do a power herb + fly set if you go physical.

Last edited:
My stall team has been handily destroyed by the mixed variants with superpower and knock off :( unexpected super effective moves abound, it even had grass knot for hippowdon, and cleaned through like half the team without any set up. I'd say it's better than the NP sets!

My stall team has been handily destroyed by the mixed variants with superpower and knock off :( unexpected super effective moves abound, it even had grass knot for hippowdon, and cleaned through like half the team without any set up. I'd say it's better than the NP sets!
while i won't agree that it is the best thundurus set, the mixed set is a very good chansey lure and once chansey dies most of the stall teams crumble before the powerful special sweepers, like, lando-i. And its coverage is just good enough to cripple most of the stall staples.

Smogon doesn't generally play with an item clause because for that very reason, it limits teambuilding. If you are playing with an item clause under some other ruleset, expert belt/choice specs/choice scarf would be the best options. You could also do a power herb + fly set if you go physical.
It was more i dont have two of the items and i was kinda getting bored with the grinding for bp

This is kinda weird but can really help sweep with thundurus I. I typically run HP fire on him. Even though it makes thundurus immediately switch out to these pokes. Some but not limited to: hippowdown, garchomp, landorus, gastrodon, etc. however, it makes up for it with one sneaky surprise, you can take out most walls and SR/spikes users. Does massive damage to but not limited to: ferrothorn, skarmory, foretress, scissor, mega -pinsir etc. point is, hp fire can offer some really cool surprises on your opponents

haunter

Banned deucer.
Thunderbolt is more than enough for Pokémon such as Skarmory, Forretress and Pinsir and you can use focus blast to deal with Ferrothorn. Hp fire is just a waste of a moveslot, especially since you're giving up hp ice, which lets you get past stuff like Landorus, Garchomp, Gliscor and, at +2, can actually hurt Latios.

Thunderbolt is more than enough for Pokémon such as Skarmory, Forretress and Pinsir and you can use focus blast to deal with Ferrothorn. Hp fire is just a waste of a moveslot, especially since you're giving up hp ice, which lets you get past stuff like Landorus, Garchomp, Gliscor and, at +2, can actually hurt Latios.
Ya your right i guess. I used go fire thundurus for a while and it did good. But thank you for showing me I still got a lot to learn take care, cheers

Thundurus is extremely frail, so with that said, anything faster will practically OHKO it depending what you have on him. I'm not saying he's bad in this case, I'm just saying he's not the best. Thundurus is extremely hard to stop with a few nasty plots and the proper team to support him, other than that, meh.

Let's talk about Thundurus' competition, in this case: Electric types.

Here are some electric types with high stats also:

HP: Lanturn Base HP: 125
Attack: Electivire Base Attack: 123
Defense: Magnezone Base Defense: 115
Special Attack: Magnezone Base Sp. Attack: 130
Special Defense: Raikou Base Sp. Defense: 100
Speed: Electrode Base Speed: 140

Base 111 Spe, and Base 115 Atk is not bad, he is outclassed by a lot of electric type Pokemon, which is why I see a lot more electric types being used on teams than him. I rarely see him used, but that could be just me.

For one:

I could go on, but I'll leave it at this: Thundurus is a decent choice, but he's definitely outclassed.
Just because Electrode is faster doesn't mean he is better, his offenses and defenses are too low to do anything. It goes about the stats combined, Thunderus has good stats all around which makes him so effective. And stats isn't the only thing. There is also abilities, movepool, typing and more. Thunderus has all of those while the pokemon you mentioned are only good in one or two things. Thunderus is versitile while stuff like Lanturn can only do one thing.

Also Electrode does have a really small niche in OU that it can set up rain dance and then explode to bring in something like Kabutops safely, it's a small niche but it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)