Thundurus-T (Double Booster) (QC 3/3) (GP 0/2)

Uh so this thing is probably Thundy-T's best set now, as it is the greatest thing against Rain Stall that ever existed, if Stealth Rock didn't exist. Also gr8astard posted a Double Dance Lando-T set, so why not Thundy-T along with it.

QC:BKC jc104 shrang
GP:

I would be banned if the meta was more kind

[SET COMMENTS]

• [SET]
    name: Double Booster
    move 1: Agility
    move 2: Nasty Plot
    move 3: Thunderbolt / Thunder
    move 4: Hidden Power Ice
    item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
    ability: Volt Absorb
    nature: Modest
    evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
  • This set lets Thundurus-T use one of its boosting moves to either destroy Stall, or become a massive threat against Offense.
  • If you end up letting it get both of its setup, you're pretty much done.
  • Only relies on BoltBeam coverage which is efficient enough.
  • Can setup against the likes of Scizor and Secret Sword Choice locked Keldeo.
  • Agility lets it beat Offense, while NP beats stall, especially Rain Stall.
  • BoltBeam Coverage is standard.
  • Thunder if you are in a rain team, which you should probably be using it in.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • A Zap Plate can be used to always 2HKO Ferrothorn after Leftovers at +2 with Thunder
  • The EV Spread lets you outspeed Toxicroak, while outspeeding Rain Kingdra after Agility boost, while also having enough bulk to live some hits.
  • Max Speed
  • LO
  • Rain
  • Thundy-T loves Spikes, as most spinners are relucant to spin against it, and the Flying-types that are immune to Spikes get wrecked by Thunder.
  • It also likes Rapid Spin support, so Forretress fits really nicely, while LO Starmie (Analytic is awesome, especially if you are using it in rain) can weaken Ferrothorn and Celebi, while luring Bulky Water occasionally.
  • Thundurus-T is also weak to priority from Pokemon like Mamoswine, so other sweepers that can flow after Thundurus-T's death is also welcome, like SubSD Terrakion and SD Scizor.

[SET]
name: Double Booster
move 1: Agility
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Thunderbolt / Thunder
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Modest
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Thundurus-Therian can actually use both of its boosting moves to pose a significant threat, either picking the right one after coming in on moves such as Scizor's Bullet Punch and choice locked Keldeo's Secret Sword or using its surprising bulk in order for it to setup both boosts given the right situation. It is also one of the most threatening Pokemon once it sets up both boosts, as nearly nothing can really stop it after it gets both a Nasty Plot and an Agility, especially if it is ran in rain; as Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice is all the coverage you need. Agility can let you do very well against most offensive teams, as the power of Thundurus-T tends to be enough to beat them but needs the speed to effectively sweep. Nasty Plot lets you break most Stall teams and stall cores, especially most Rain stall teams that go around. Thunderbolt is your main STAB move, but you can opt for Thunder if you are in the rain, which you should probably be using it in. Lastly, Hidden Power Ice gives very good coverage along with Thunderbolt, hitting Ground-types like Landorus-T and Venusaur. Leftovers tends to be the best item for Thundurus-T, but the ability to lure in status and setup two boosts is something that can also be used very well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV Spread gives you enough outspeed Toxicroak while having as much Special Attack as possible, while dumping the rest into bulk in order for it to recieve as much boosts as it can. A basic 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Timid spread can be used to outspeed Jirachi, Volcarona and Kyurem-Black, but Thundurus-Therian needs some bulk and a Modest nature to perform as efficiently as possible. Life Orb is also another good option on the set, but you will wear yourself down quickly especially with that Stealth Rock weakness Thundurus-Therian has. And lastly, a Zap Plate can also be used for Thunder in rain to 2HKO Ferrothorn after Leftovers after a Nasty Plot. </p>
<p>Thundurus-Therian always loves rain support. It lets it abuse the powerful Thunder, which can 2HKO most resists at +2, being sufficient enough to single-handedly over power rain stall teams. Thundurus-Therian can also make good use of Spikes support, as it can force switches, while getting as much kills as it can, while it nails Flying-types immune to them with a powerful Thunder, so Pokemon like Forretress can really help. As Thundurus-Therian is weak to Stealth Rock, a spinner is always appreciated, Forretress enters here again as a good partner as it can spin and setup Spikes and use Rapid Spin. Starmie can also Rapid Spin, denting Ferrothorn and luring bulky Water-types in order for Thundurus-Therian to setup. Dual Screens support is also welcome to setup both boosts reliably from Pokemon like Latios or Azelf. Lastly, Thundurus-Therian doesn’t like priority coming from Pokemon like Mamoswine’s Ice Shard, so a Pokemon that can setup on common priority like Swords Dance Scizor, and Sub Salac Terrakion.</p>

i personally like 128 hp / 252 spa / 128 spe modest to outspeed toxicroak and have enough bulk to tank while setting up.. it really needs modest since it doesn't have an item to boost its power (imo)

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Maybe mention Scizor as a partner it lures in things like Skarmory, Jellicent, Landorus-T and Tentacruel wich Thundurus-T can use to set-up and can take care of Lati@s, TTar, Mamoswine and Celebie plus slow U-Turn always helps to set-up with something as frail as Thundurus-T.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I think max Speed Timid should stay. While it is Thundurus-T really likes the additional power, you miss the jump on a number of important threats (Jirachi, Volcarona, as well as speed-tieing with Landorus-T AND opposing Thundurus-T).

I'd like to suggest the 40 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef / 104 Spd Modest spread along side with the current one and Dice's. This spread gives you good bulk in being able to tank any priority move from full barring a crit while still outspeeding everything up to Scarf Latios.

Mamoswine vs Thundurus-T

252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 40 HP / 96 Def Thundurus-T: 234-276 (75.72 - 89.32%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 40 HP / 96 Def Thundurus-T: 221-265 (71.52 - 85.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 40 HP / 96 Def Thundurus-T: 203-242 (65.69 - 78.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Choice Banded Scizor vs Thundurus-T
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 40 HP / 96 Def Thundurus-T: 127-150 (41.1 - 48.54%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Choice Band Dragonite vs Thundurus-T

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 40 HP / 96 Def Thundurus-T: 173-204 (55.98 - 66.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would like to see more reasoning behind that spread. Investing in HP, Def and SpD like that is usually not efficient. Surely you could make it up to the next LO number, and put the rest into Def?

edit: oh it's not even running LO. Vetoing that spread, then.

edit2: also, why not LO? Not having it in AC is just absurd. I actually think it's the best item for this set.

edit3: come on, since when does an agility sweeper not need a boost? Please put in AC, at least.

part of what makes the double dancer so threatening is that its surprising bulk often gives it opportunities to boost twice... for this reason, timid max speed sucks.

also, thund-t is so strong that it of all things does not need life orb's boost, so the extra power is most definitely not worth the recoil cutting into its bulk.

I'm throwing my support behind Dice's EV spread. It outspeeds every possibly relevant scarfer, +2 neutral max Speed kingdra in the rain after an agility, as well as neutral toxicroak without an agility. Max Special Attack is obvious as well, and the rest is great when dumped into HP.

this thing slaughters rain teams so, so badly...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The spread should be the one that Dice posted. This set doesn't need Life Orb because it really appreciates its bulk and it has Nasty Plot to boost its power. As already mentioned, what makes this set great is Thundurus-T's good resistances + good bulk with investment, allowing Thundurus-T to often grab 2 boosts and go to town. LO, Magnet, and Timid + max Speed can be mentioned in the AC.

Use Dice's set the bulk is absolutely necessary to make it work. It is a very effective set, arguably one of the best in the current meta.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I also like Dice's spread since The only reasonable benchmark we're losing by forfeiting Max Speed is losing to boosted Lando-I (which'll probably get banned judging by the bandwagon at the suspect thread, so shouldn't be an issue), because HP Ice 2HKOes.

On a sidenote though, there are many benchmarks we miss on unboosted speed since many stall teams carry fast cleaner(s), but then I guess some things we must leave up to play method than on EV spreads.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hold on a minute, when has Thundurus-T ever been bulky? I know he has quite a few nifty resistances and immunities, and I guess he isn't terribly frail, but do you really expect him to get two boosts against a competent player?

Oh well, I can see it working, but I've always pictured Double Dancing in OU as "grab one boost depending on the opposing team" and not "grab two boosts". If we are to actually use a bulky spread, then I'd suggest that we add Dual Screens support and really emphasise that this set is focusing on bulk, as well as possibly naming it "Bulky Booster" or something.

I also like Dice's spread since The only reasonable benchmark we're losing by forfeiting Max Speed is losing to boosted Lando-I (which'll probably get banned judging by the bandwagon at the suspect thread, so shouldn't be an issue), because HP Ice 2HKOes.
Opposing Thundurus-Ts, Salamence, Jirachi, Volcarona, Jolly Landorus-T (they exist), Kyurem-B. These are all quite threatening Pokemon.

with the right spread, thund-t is actually quite bulky, and that allows it to grab both boosts with surprising consistency, even against good players. i can name several instances of this happening in high-level tournament games.

i am firmly opposed to anything but lefties and a modest natured bulky ev spread. they make this set what it is. in those tournament games i mentioned, thund-t wouldn't have gotten both boosts without its bulk.

mention that mamoswine doesn't just revenge with ice shard, it walls thund-t hard because of electric immunity and thick fat's ice resist.

qc approved 1/3

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well it probably can't revenge with Ice Shard, actually, unless Thundy is somewhat weakened. But whatever.

I can confirm that this thing actually can set up two boosts. I met a couple on the ladder, and used it for a bit, and yeah it works. A lot of people switch in a wall when they see agility and let you NP. However, I think a speedy spread can work, especially with a LO - we know how effective the standard agility thundy-t is.

QC approved 2/3

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Opposing Thundurus-Ts, Salamence, Jirachi, Volcarona, Jolly Landorus-T (they exist), Kyurem-B. These are all quite threatening Pokemon.
I was talking about when it goes for the NP boost instead of Agi, which is usually against stall, but yes some of the above (like mence) feature in it, so point taken.

i am firmly opposed to anything but lefties and a modest natured bulky ev spread. they make this set what it is. in those tournament games i mentioned, thund-t wouldn't have gotten both boosts without its bulk.
But, the set is supposed to focus on getting a single boost based on the opposition (NP is slow and stally and Agility if fast offence) and Agility is really weak w/o LO, and Timid is needed preffered for speed ties. Both boosts are not something you usually aim for with this set, it's very situational.

if you think that this set is restricted to only one boost that depends on what's on the opposing team then you're looking at it wrong. obviously it can work like that but being able to use its surprising bulk to get both boosts reliably is part of why this thund-t variant is so good.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
if you think that this set is restricted to only one boost that depends on what's on the opposing team then you're looking at it wrong. obviously it can work like that but being able to use its surprising bulk to get both boosts reliably is part of why this thund-t variant is so good.
IMO the metagame is too fast and offense creeped for genuine double boosting, but your call. You're the QC member after all.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you can theorymon all you want, but if bkc can point out actual instances of getting two boosts in tournament games, then i'm not sure what the argument is here. both uses can be mentioned in the analysis; just have one in AC.

all right mentioned the bulk part to setup two boosts, and somehow forgot about putting rain support in the AC, will write up AC really quickly

shrang

General Kenobi
Okay, I guess if we look at it from that way then I'm with having a bulky spread. Personally I'd like to see the following:

- Dual Screen support mentioned in AC
- Fast spread (max SpA / max Spe Timid) mentioned in AC
- LO mentioned in AC

latios is probably the best dual screen partner for this set because it's fast and has memento :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)