ORAS PU Time Is Running Out

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

TIME IS RUNNING OUT

Hello everyone, I'm cryalot and, to celebrate my 100th post on Smogon ( ヽ༼◐ل͜◑༽ノ ), I decided to write and share my first RMT. PU is my main tier, the first I played and the one I actually play better and enjoy the most. I built this team around two of my favourites pokemons: Fraxure and Stoutland. On the background you can listen Time is running out, a song that means a lot to me and brings back lots of memories. I hope you guys can give me some feedback and, obviously, enjoy!

in depth

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab
Fraxure is an awesome late-game sweeper, has enough bulk to take a hit, dragon dance and retaliate back. This pokemon has strong STAB in Outrage and decent coverage in Low Kick, for pokemons that resist Dragon such as Pawniard and Probopass, and Poison Jab, to hit fairy types like Mr.Mime and Clefairy.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch
Stoutland is a phenomenal wallbreaker. It hits like a truck with Frustration and Superpower, while Crunch hits for super-effective damage pokemons like Solrock and Metang. Slow teams suffer a lot from this monster, and every team has problem in finding appropriate switch-ins.

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
Grumpig gives the team a bulky psychic type, able to switch-into pokemons like Monferno, Machoke and Arbok. Colbur Berry halves the damage taken from Sucker Punch and from Knock Off, allowing Grumpig to OHKO or 2HKO every dark pokemon in front of him. I went for a Timid nature because in this way Grumpig is faster than Adamant Monferno, a really big threat to the majority of the team, and Stoutland. Moreover I run Shadow Ball to hit other Grumpigs and bulky ghost types like Misdreavus and Gourgeist.

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Protect
Golem is one of the best (probably THE best) Stealth Rock setters in the tier. It gives me a good normal resist and electric immunity. I went for the spDef tank set because I needed a reliable switch-in more than another offensive oriented pokemon. Protect is there for scouting opposing choiced pokemons and to gain back some HP from leftovers.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Encore
Politoed gives the team a water immunity and another ice resistance and it checks Floatzle and counters Simipour. I run this spread in order to outspeed Adamant Golem. Scald and Ice Beam give Politoed a nice coverage, while HP Electric is a super-effective move against other water pokemons. On the fourth slot I chose Encore to prevent set ups.

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
Finally, Jumpluff is a fast mon that resists grass. I chose it because of the core Sleep Powder + U-Turn, that creates good set up opportunities for Fraxure or lets Stoutland come in to pick a kill. Moreover Jumpluff helps me against grass types like Leafeon and Sawsbuck.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Protect

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Encore

Jumpluff
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

This is the whole team, hope you enjoyed, I will be happy to read some suggestions! (๑•॒̀ ູ॒•́๑)

Good old friends:​
PursuitOfHappiny: thanks for all the good time spent together
ShuckleDeath: if I am jesus, he is actually god
PTF: Australia sucks

PU room (where I spend a lot of time └(◉◞౪◟◉)┘):​
galbia Dundies Anty ManOfMany EnemyJurist Rebel Pawniards amber lamps MaroGod Raiza GeneralAnnoyance RawMelon Megazard iChatot Fitzcarraldo

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Happy 100th post Cryalot, my lucky Italian. I must say your team is really solid and when trying to find faults and flaws, I failed. Congratulations, so proud of you!

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
hi cryalot
the team is good so there's not much to change at all. that said, I still think it struggles against some stuff you also mentioned in the thread, such as Monferno, but also Ice-types such as Rotom-F and Regice. You have Grumpig for them, but given it runs an extremely offensive spread it won't be able to check them for long and will fall for sure in the late-game, and while Politoed provides you an additional Ice-type resist it still loses to all of the Ice-types in the tier, plus it isn't that optimal against physical Floatzel, which is also another big threat to your team, since nothing can switch on it and you would have to rely on soft checking it with Stoutland.
This team can't really be fixed completely, as changing most things will make it struggle against other threats, and bigger changes would make it need major structural replacements.
The only fixes I think can be functional without changing too much in the team would be changing Grumpig's spread to a more tank-ish one(a EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe Modest Nature should work just fine). This will make Grumpig more stable and durable against aforementioned threats, since otherwise it would get pressured a lot. Following this you should give a Jolly nature to Stoutland. A Jolly nature will make up for losing pace on Grumpig, since it will allow Stoutland to outpace stuff that Grumpig outpaced before such as Adamant Monferno and opposing Stoutlands, also the loss of power isn't really that big of a deal as Stoutland will still be able to hit squishy foes hard, and some of that power got transferred to Grumpig which now runs Modest. Regarding the physical Floatzel issue, I thought about replacing Politoed with Lumineon. Lumineon will provide you a more solid check to physical Floatzel, as well as being able to switch into the special one. Even though it struggles if it gets hit by Hidden Power Electric, Politoed has the same problem too, with the addition of also getting hit hard by Return. Additionally, Lumineon is also able to check Monferno, plus because of its access to U-Turn it can create more momentum for your team alongside Jumpluff's own U-Turn, and lastly it provides valuable Defog support which goes along nicely with Jumpluff given its weakness to Stealth Rock and your other Pokemon such as Grumpig, which will vastly appreciate getting hit for less damage possible.

have fun

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello Bud ^-^

Raiza made a lot of good points which should be the focus of your changes. I have one more suggestion that is optional but it is something i would change if this was my team.

Jumpluff
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn ------> Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

While momentum is great and completely viable on this team, knowing how you play, I feel you can pivot with double switches and other predictions pretty handily. I feel this will give you even more use as it will help break bulky grass Mons for Fraxure and a second win con as Fraxure does a great job breaking it's self. this team looks solid and well thought out so this is more of a personal preference but i feel if you are comfortable in giving up free momentum for a little risk than this set change will push this team even further in terms of offensive pressure. Gratz on 100 <3.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Cryalot, nice team.

Its a nice adaption of the classic Golem + Grumpig, as it doesn't include Leafeon or Bouffalant which I usually see on this type of team, and supports Fraxure well. The biggest weakness I see with this type of team is the lack of recovery for some of the main Pokemon making it harder for them to constantly do their job. This team isn't too troubled by it, but Monferno and Rotom-f do look annoying if Grumpig is worn down.

The best way to fix this I feel would be replacing Grumpig and Jumpluff with Sdef Clefairy and Gourgeist-XL. Together they can check most of the threats you needed Grumpig and Jumpluff too, however Clefairy's reliable recovery makes it much easier to take on Pokemon like Rotom-f which Grumpig is commonly switching into. Gourgeist can check Grass-types well, while also being a reliable counter to Machoke and being a very solid switch into Normal-types like Stoutland, putting pressure off of Golem.

Since Jumpluff was your fastest Pokemon, removing it makes you quite a lot slower so I think you should change Politoed to Choice Scarf Simipour. Clefairy already checks Water-types very reliably, and Simipour and Gourgeist even provide the team with soft resists so the team isnt very worried. Scarf Simipour allows you to revenge kill big threats like opposing Scarfers such as Rotom-f and set up sweepers like other Fraxure.

Lastly, personally I prefer Superpower on Fraxure as it does much more damage to Metang and Relicanth, which are have recently become more common, but obviously Low Kick is still nice to avoid attack drops.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish / Knock Off
The last two moves are basically fillers, so what you run is often to do with personal preferences, I just think Fraxure goes well with Healing Wish

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

Fraxure
Low Kick ---> Superpower

Thanks for the shoutout and hope i helped n_n

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ah my good friend cryalot! Congrats on your 100th post!! As you know my PU-knowledge isn't as good as yours but the team looks solid and dangerous!
See you on skype, old friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)