Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
How well does Trevenant fit with my current Azumarill and Mega Charizard X core? I've been thinking of him as a third pokemon..

Right, but then, what are the actual odds of someone running earthquake, especially considering most people will run dual STAB or even 1 STAB with 3 support moves? I like the idea of Swellow, but I think Talonflame is a more relevant counter. Priority Brave Bird or Acrobatics and Trevenant drops. I like him, but he seems more UU material than OU

I wouldn't say completely, since Trevenant can learn Earthquake (which also hits Heatran), but it's still a decent response otherwise. Trevenant's access to moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide makes complete countering tricky, but Pokemon that fear only one situational move make decent checks / counters. Swellow is one such example, as it doesn't care about Trevenant's STABs, Earthquake or burns, but fears Rock Slide.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
At a glance, this Pokemon is really underwhelming in terms of walling anything compared to the common heavy hitters in the tier (Crunch Lucario, Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, Talonflame, Heatran, Tyranitar, Genesect, Xerneus, etc.). I wouldn't even call it a reliable answer to Scizor since, if WoW misses, U-turn is decimate this thing to pieces. Also, I'm sure EB / LO Protean Greninja's Ice Beam is 2HKOing, if not OHKOing, Trevaunt as well. I can't stress Talonflame enough either; anything that gives Talonflame a free SD is probably not a good pick; however, Trevaunt could probably be decent with Chople or Assault Vest Tyranitar, seeing how everything besides Greninja's U-turn (maybe Scizor's too?) and MegaLucario are answered with the duo.

I see possible stall cores it could work with (Trevaunt + Tyranitar + Surefire Lucario counter *like Wheezing or Sableye, that kind of stuff*). As an offensive player, I can't see any use of it, but then again it's a stall set so I can only express my subjectivity towards it. Has anyone made a good core with this Pokemon, though? I'd like to know how threatening it can be as I've yet to see it in play.

This set just came to mind. Someone may have already posted something similar, but I don't feel like scrolling through all the replies.

Trevenant (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Horn Leech / Shadow Claw
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

I'll be sure to test this out soon.

Trevenant's greatest merit, in my opinion, is his ability to persistently counter the most common Rapid Spinners. (Although, with the latest changes to Defog, that may or may not prove to be worth anything.) As far as his stats go, he doesn't have the greatest bulk, but thanks to his ability options, excellent defensive typing, and great movepool, he's able to utilize an offense stall set to considerable efficiency.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 129 DEF / 129 SP. DEF
Nature: Careful
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed / Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Protect

Shadow Claw and any other sort of Ghost-type coverage was left out mostly due to its irrelevance. The only Rapid Spin users who take super-effective damage from Ghost-type moves are Starmie and Claydol, both of which are already hit super-effectively by Horn Leech (also being 5 BP higher than Shadow Claw as well as its useful regenerative effects). Earthquake not only has better coverage--adding pressure to the likes of Tentacruel, Excadrill, and Torkoal--but is only a measly 5 damage less than STAB Shadow Claw.

The third moveslot is dedicated to residual damage and, in the case of the former two, defensive utility. Which to choose out of Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic should largely depend on what your team already checks and counters, knowing that Grass, Fire, and Poison-types will negate the effects of each, respectively. Leech Seed would be the preferable option, since it more directly aids Trevenant in his stall approach, while also giving the opportunity to aid other party members upon switch-in.

Protect will maximize the use of Harvest outside of intense sunlight (providing another 50% chance to harvest the Sitrus Berry) while also complimenting the use of either Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, or Toxic. It's only because this set utilizes both Harvest and damage-over-time tactics that Protect has a place here. Of course, Protect also has its traditional uses, such as to scout, but that's of lesser importance.

Here are some other unorganized thoughts for consideration:
  • Forest's Curse is utter junk. Gourgeist got the better gimmick in Trick-or-Treat, as that at least boosts his STAB Ghost-type moves, whereas Forest's Curse gives the opponent a resistance to Trevenant's most viable STAB moves.
  • Trevenant absolutely cannot afford a wasted turn. Because of that, I'm a bit more weary of using Will-O-Wisp over other selections. (I'm aware the accuracy was raised to 85%.)
  • Status ailments will ruin most of his viable sets. I'd consider putting a cleric on a team with him, if you aren't instead running a Natural Cure set.
  • Assault Vest has no place on Trevenant; he needs his status moves to stay relevant.
  • Best shiny in the game.

I just got handled by:

Trevenant
@ Sitrus Berry
Harvest

Leech Seed
Curse
Protect
Substitute

If you don't have Taunt or a Sub-breaking move he can stall you out and force you to switch. The surprise factor alone was enough let alone the inability for me to get passed it without Togekiss Hax.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it but Trevenant doesn't get Shadow Sneak (I tried to search through the 6 pages but didn't see it after all). Fucking damn it.

At a glance, this Pokemon is really underwhelming in terms of walling anything compared to the common heavy hitters in the tier (Crunch Lucario, Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam, Talonflame, Heatran, Tyranitar, Genesect, Xerneus, etc.). I wouldn't even call it a reliable answer to Scizor since, if WoW misses, U-turn is decimate this thing to pieces. Also, I'm sure EB / LO Protean Greninja's Ice Beam is 2HKOing, if not OHKOing, Trevaunt as well. I can't stress Talonflame enough either; anything that gives Talonflame a free SD is probably not a good pick; however, Trevaunt could probably be decent with Chople or Assault Vest Tyranitar, seeing how everything besides Greninja's U-turn (maybe Scizor's too?) and MegaLucario are answered with the duo.

I see possible stall cores it could work with (Trevaunt + Tyranitar + Surefire Lucario counter *like Wheezing or Sableye, that kind of stuff*). As an offensive player, I can't see any use of it, but then again it's a stall set so I can only express my subjectivity towards it. Has anyone made a good core with this Pokemon, though? I'd like to know how threatening it can be as I've yet to see it in play.
Heatran makes an amazing duo. Hes either immune or 4x resists most of Trevanants weaknesses, and Trevanant says water, ground and fighting are no sweat! Heatran appreciates Leech Seed and Heatran can supply additional burns, trap with Magma Storm or Roar out set up sweepers.

Heatran makes an amazing duo. Hes either immune or 4x resists most of Trevanants weaknesses, and Trevanant says water, ground and fighting are no sweat! Heatran appreciates Leech Seed and Heatran can supply additional burns, trap with Magma Storm or Roar out set up sweepers.
The irony that most pokes best friends can be their worst enemies...

Trevenant @ Kee Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball

Kee + Calm mind gives it a method of boosting defense and special defense at the same time where otherwise it would have no defense boost.. I'm pretty sure this has only worked because of the surprise factor - but it has reliably killed 2-3 pokemon each time. Shadow Ball is an option instead of energy ball. Or a more reliable move like Horn Leech, I just figured because I'm buffing special attack. It does, of course, get growth as well as calm mind. Neither should be underestimated. Will-O-Wisp could be switched for toxic, I just prefer being able to hit steel types over the extra damage.

(really, nobody realizes this thing can growth + horn leech?)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Trevenant @ Kee Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball

Kee + Calm mind gives it a method of boosting defense and special defense at the same time where otherwise it would have no defense boost.. I'm pretty sure this has only worked because of the surprise factor - but it has reliably killed 2-3 pokemon each time. Shadow Ball is an option instead of energy ball. Or a more reliable move like Horn Leech, I just figured because I'm buffing special attack. It does, of course, get growth as well as calm mind. Neither should be underestimated. Will-O-Wisp could be switched for toxic, I just prefer being able to hit steel types over the extra damage.

(really, nobody realizes this thing can growth + horn leech?)
This sort of boosting + healing is better left off to Pokemon that can boost their bulk as well, as Trevenant is relying mainly on its healing to keep it alive against powerful faster threats. Bulk Up Conkeldurr / Gogoat and Calm Mind Serperior are examples of sets that do the boost healing thing better.

I just got handled by:

Trevenant
@ Sitrus Berry
Harvest

Leech Seed
Curse
Protect
Substitute

If you don't have Taunt or a Sub-breaking move he can stall you out and force you to switch. The surprise factor alone was enough let alone the inability for me to get passed it without Togekiss Hax.
I got wrecked by that same set, my taunter died and he just trolled the hell out of my team.

I've been playing trevenant on the beta server and I really love the set I'm running. I'm running it on a rain team and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Ability: natural cure
Nature: Careful
Item: leftovers
Evs: 252 hp/ 56 Atk/ 200spdef

Move set: hone claw, phantom force, horn leech/wood hammer, poison jab

This set is something that if run right can dismantle opponents teams once normal types are removed (and also t-tars). My Ev spread up so that I can beat life orb starime head on while still touching 400+ after a hone claw.
The purpose of this set is to take advantage of the 110 attack stat while still retaining spdef bulk. Hone claws is a great asset to this pokemon especially when combined with his nearly unresisted stab moves. Phantom force is not only an attack, but it is also a protect of sorts since it whisk him away to an untouchable state which allows him a free turn of leftovers recovery or potentially 2 if your opponents mon is faster, but this is not the only thing phantom force is good for It also breaks through protect and all protect variants. meaning nothing is safe. kings shield blocking it? Nope! Spikes shield? Naw crafty shield? You're gonna lose your keys if you try it! Since steel types no longer resist ghost this guy can have a field day with this move (again once proper checks are gone). Horn leech is my move of choice since it helps me raise hell longer, but wood hammer while tough on the survivability wrecks the opponents side without having to set up.
Poison jab was my filler of choice since it kills most things the other two don't, or rather hits them for neutral It also helps clear fairies not named klefki out!
I chose natural cure because I like keeping my buddy alive and healthy and that's exactly that's it does.

Last edited:
I've managed to get some good IVs on this guy, does anyone have recommendations for partners? T-Tar looks good from a pure type synergy standpoint.

I've managed to get some good IVs on this guy, does anyone have recommendations for partners? T-Tar looks good from a pure type synergy standpoint.
I am a huge fan of trevenant/politoad or trevenant/ houndoom

Politoad gives trevenant rain making fire attacks weaker against him. It also resist fire and ice moves. trevenant on the other hand resist grass and electric for him

Trevenant takes ground, water moves, and is immune to fighting moves for houndoom. Houndoom is immune to fire while resisting dark, and ghost

I was trying a Trick Room team with Trevenant....this sets can work for a TR Lead:
Trevenant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Wood Hammer
- Destiny Bond

Last edited:
I imagine this things niche will probably be an RU spinblocker, and even then it will be outclassed by the likes of Spiritomb and golurk. I honestly see natural cure as it's only saving grace. But even then it just looks to frail. Any boosting set seems useless and it would mostly likely be Ko'd before harvest could serve useful. I do like Talking taco's idea of using Trevenant as a trick room lead. I also think that a gimmicky forest's curse X-scissor set could be used as well.

I imagine this things niche will probably be an RU spinblocker, and even then it will be outclassed by the likes of Spiritomb and golurk. I honestly see natural cure as it's only saving grace. But even then it just looks to frail. Any boosting set seems useless and it would mostly likely be Ko'd before harvest could serve useful. I do like Talking taco's idea of using Trevenant as a trick room lead. I also think that a gimmicky forest's curse X-scissor set could be used as well.
1. Trevenant has many good options, harvest allows subseeding, although it and In itself is a dated strategy, to shine, and even allows a hyper-gimmicky curse set to be utilized.
2 Forest's curse adds the grass type, not changes to grass. I.e, water becomes water/grass, fire/flying becomes fire/flying/grass.

Been having fun with this set:

Trevenant Lum Berry
Impish 252 HP 252 DEF
- Substitute
- Curse
- Will o Wisp
- Rest

Immune to status, instant full heal, disables physical attackers, and stalls and outclasses most stallers with curse.

1. Trevenant has many good options, harvest allows subseeding, although it and In itself is a dated strategy, to shine, and even allows a hyper-gimmicky curse set to be utilized.
2 Forest's curse adds the grass type, not changes to grass. I.e, water becomes water/grass, fire/flying becomes fire/flying/grass.
Sorry, I didn't notice leech seed in his movepool. I'm such a dunce. Anyway now that you mention it this things fate as a potential spin-blocker could help it subseed but even if it's niche is sub-seeding it'll still have to compete with Sceptile and Whimsicott but at least it looks viable now. But now that I've been given a slap to the face of how forest's curse works it doesn't look as good now

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Trevenant's best set would be the SubSeed set, since as Exeggutor has shown in the BW NU, Harvest is a really cheap ability, and with a Sitrus Berry and Leech Seed, Trevenant can be really difficult to defeat once it gets a Sub up. Curse is also a pretty cool option if you want and between it and Leech Seed, the opponent will have a lot of trouble staying alive for long. I think it would be decent as an annoyer or stally Pokemon.

I could see other sets possibly working, like TR and such, although Trick Room is quite a rare strategy and boosting sets are quite outclassed, as Punchshroom said. Trick Room does look cool though, but I think I'd prefer Reuniclus for TR needs.

been using

Careful Lum berry
252hp 4 atak 252 spdef
rest
horn leach
shadow claw
Wow

and its working great the sitrus berry isnt really reliable since 50% harvest chance just doesnt cut it with sitrus and rest lum berry is amazing your imune to Wow and toxic and even paralize i love bring this into pokemons that love to toxic stall and just make them useless

I don't know if I can ask this here, but here it goes. What's the difference between Trevenant and Gourgeist, competitively? It seems to me they have the same gimmick(SubSeed, WoW) and function almost the same, with Gourgeist being the tankier one and Trevenant being the more offensive one, but I think there's more to it than just that, kinda like the deal with the megazards, zardy is actually a lead/wallbreaker while zardx is more of a set-up sweeper.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Trevenant has LumHarvest / Natural Cure to ward off status, better STAB in Wood Hammer, Horn Leech and Shadow Claw, higher Attack, and additional coverage moves in Earthquake and X-Scissor.

Gourgeist has better bulk, priority Shadow Sneak, has Frisk to scout for items (most notably Choice items), and knows Fire attacks (but lack the offenses to hit very hard with them).

Can everyone please stop acting like harvest + sitrus is the best use of harvest. No matter what you do, lum + rest is better. It is so much more reliable, and also protects It from status. This being said, idk how useful trevenant is otherwise, but at least use lum rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)