Move Trick Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im considering swapping him for a dusclops with eviolite. Utilizing a trick room, WoW, Infestation and sleep. The idea is to trap something and WoW it and then right before infestation and burn kills it activate trick room to have a full four turns to abuse with your sweepers, but i need to test more first. Have you or anyone, had any success with a trapper on a trick room team?

Im considering swapping him for a dusclops with eviolite. Utilizing a trick room, WoW, Infestation and sleep. The idea is to trap something and WoW it and then right before infestation and burn kills it activate trick room to have a full four turns to abuse with your sweepers, but i need to test more first. Have you or anyone, had any success with a trapper on a trick room team?
I usually do not rely on a strategy that takes multiple turns to complete. I play TR to catch my opponent off guard and try to end the match as soon as possible. It seems strange to say that my main strategy is to make my opponent lose their cool, but it has worked for me so far. If you give the opponent to much time to think, they will find loopholes in your strategy. Momentum is just as important in TR as it is in hyper offensive. If a stall/trap strategy fails, you lose all of your momentum.

Hey guys, I made an account to participate in this thread! And Ttarman, I can totally understand the desire to be hyper offensive with Trick Room, but in my endeavors with the strategy, I find it's useful to not be a "one-trick-pony" for lack of a better term. I've been experimenting with a Trick Room/Stall team, and it's be on and off, I still need to find the right balance. As it stands, I've been using pokemon like Dusclops and SwagKey to status, and cripple the opposing team. The idea is to then set up a trick room sweep, without fear of severe retaliation.
In addition, almost all of my pokemon function as walls, making my team usable outside of Trick Room.
But hey, I'm new to the competitive scene so what do I know? lol Was wondering what the seasoned Trick Room users thought.

Hey guys, I made an account to participate in this thread! And Ttarman, I can totally understand the desire to be hyper offensive with Trick Room, but in my endeavors with the strategy, I find it's useful to not be a "one-trick-pony" for lack of a better term. I've been experimenting with a Trick Room/Stall team, and it's be on and off, I still need to find the right balance. As it stands, I've been using pokemon like Dusclops and SwagKey to status, and cripple the opposing team. The idea is to then set up a trick room sweep, without fear of severe retaliation.
In addition, almost all of my pokemon function as walls, making my team usable outside of Trick Room.
But hey, I'm new to the competitive scene so what do I know? lol Was wondering what the seasoned Trick Room users thought.
Well, it's an interesting concept. And one of the big advantages of Trick Room is that you don't have to invest in Speed at all, leaving you free to invest in HP, so there's some foundation to the idea. I think the big weaknesses of that kind of strategy would be the risk you put your Trick Room-inducing 'mons in by attempting to stall with them before setting up. One big surprise could ruin your whole day.

Totally, agree with you on the risk of stalling with my enablers. That's why I run around three trick room setters, and only one actually plays the stall game; Dusclops. I have slowbro that knows Yawn, originally I forgot to make that into psychic, but it ended up buying me some time and/or forcing my opponent to switch out of a favorable situation, and I figured "why not keep this".
My other two trick roomers are Slowbro and Exeggutor (still not sold on him or Reuniclus, I like the grass coverage though.) Basically, I'm still running through quick matches, where I can see my opponent's team. So if I see he's going to run the standard Gengar, Blaziken, some other popular choice pokemon, I'll run Slowbro, Mawile and one other pokemon that depends on their third choice. The stall game goes up when I don't really know how I should proceed against a particular team, so I just prod at my opponent until I feel like I have an opportunity.

I don't know, Trick Room is pretty unexplored judging by my searches. Everything is about hulking out after a Trick Room, maybe that's why people aren't impressed with it or why it doesn't show consistent results. It's a good strategy, but I think it's one of many possibilities.

The spotlight should be taken entirely off of the Dusc line, because they're all rubbish. Jellicent is a better ghost in almost any situation, unless you somehow stack an electric or grass weakness.
I guess I should mention I have both Empoleon and Swampert on my Trick Room team. There is absolutely no reason I should have Jellicent over the Dus line. (That and I like Dusknoir better design-wise anyhow even though the meta-game doesn't give a shit on designs.)

Plus he balances out physical damage with special damage on my team. I look at it this way on every team I ever make:

50/50 in terms of physical or special damage users. No exceptions, even if the damage user is weak as sin, just split it.

That is a very good start. Too often, people see TR setters as only TR setters and sweepers as only sweepers. Our Pokémon should be able to handle multiple different roles. For example, back in 4th gen I used a Dusknoir as a TR setter. It also served as an effective counter to Gyrados, switching in on a DD, setting up TR, and KO'ing with Thunder punch. It could also use Will-o-wisp to cripple other threats and work as an effective spin blocker if needed. It is because of all of these qualities that I considered Dusk a good TR setter (at the time at least). TR users need to think out of the box in order to make the most out of it. One idea might be to change out Escavalier for a brave Scizor. It is capable of abusing TR or holding its own outside of it. You have to be prepared for the worst after all.
I think I like you.

You understand exactly what it means to Trick Room. You have to be Tricky and unexpected. Have some basics down like survivability and priority moves, but also carry along things the opponent would NEVER be prepared for.

This generation brought Mega Tyranitar, my Trick Room team uses Tyranitar, this gives me more options. Though I don't just sweep of course, I have Empoleon to force switches and possibly cripple opponents (Scald and Yawn). Its all about thinking outside that box known as the meta-game.

Trick Room has always interested me since I figured out its existence during last gen. I didn't play Gen 5 really at all, especially competitive. Just with friends on Showdown.

The one Pokemon I used for TR is Bronzong. TR/EQ/Gyro Ball/Stealth Rock or Explosion. It's one of the Uber sets for Gen 5. Is Bronzong viable for a TR setter or are there better overall 'mons?

I'd like to make a TR team, but I'm not really sure where to start. Would be a very fun team to play though. Thinking outside the box can really mess with your opponent.

First post on the forum, but here we go ;)

After looking at some pokes that can learn Trick Room i noticed that Meowstic (M) might be a good candidate to set up it up since it has Prankster and good support moves, which means that it also has priority in trick room with all its support moves, AND it is quite fast for the times there is no Trick Room, which might help it to beat pokes that barely survived the TR round with Psychic. Also it has priority Yawn and Dual Screens which might be useful!

I honestly believe that with the addition of the first two Pokemon with Prankster+Trick Room (M.Banette and Meowstic) Trick Room might be a little bit more viable than in the past, since these two can easily priority set-up and still be useful in Trick Room itself

When it comes to trick room teams, I like to split my team between pokemon who can benefit from Trick Room and those who can operate passably with it. Back in 4th gen I tended to have a Weavile on my trick room team holding an Iron Ball. When Trick Room was up, it was slow enough to revenge kill effectively and unexpectedly thanks to Iron Ball, and if the Trick Room setters were defeated I'd use Fling on one of the last turns of Trick Room and transition into clean-up sweeper. Of course, something like that is competitively unreliable, but it's a good example of the kind of shenanigans that are possible. Just because a Pokemon isn't super slow, doesn't mean it has no place on a Trick Room team.

A personal favorite Trick Room recipient of mine is Druddigon, though I've yet to see how he fares in the current gen.

Last edited:
First post on the forum, but here we go ;)

After looking at some pokes that can learn Trick Room i noticed that Meowstic (M) might be a good candidate to set up it up since it has Prankster and good support moves, which means that it also has priority in trick room with all its support moves, AND it is quite fast for the times there is no Trick Room, which might help it to beat pokes that barely survived the TR round with Psychic. Also it has priority Yawn and Dual Screens which might be useful!

I honestly believe that with the addition of the first two Pokemon with Prankster+Trick Room (M.Banette and Meowstic) Trick Room might be a little bit more viable than in the past, since these two can easily priority set-up and still be useful in Trick Room itself
Prankster doesn't give TR priority afaik.

Prankster doesn't give TR priority afaik.
If I had a penny for every person who parrots this without considering the further implications I'd be a very rich man.

Prankster's use on a TR setter is so they can still be a threat without a speed advantage OUTSIDE of Trick Room, for all the complaints about strategies such as this being gimmicky it's actually consideration for how to fight back in the worst case scenario.

Though I'm going to pick on you too here because you've completely ignored Whimsicott, it is basically one of the best Prankster Trick Room setters in the whole of Gen 6 when it becomes available, solely on the merit of it being a Fairy type and it's vast movepool. Trick Room teams traditionally in the past have had massive synergistic weakness in all being weak or at best neutral to powerful Dark and Ghost type attacks and suddenly we get a Fighting/Dark/Bug/Ground/Water/Electric resist + Dragon immune TR user with priority?

Its not the only one, Gen 6 has literally brought us five new fantastic new Trick Room setters who aren't deadweight and they're literally being ignored by people who can't seem to shift to a new generation mindset.

Come to think I might just do a huge post on TR in general later when I have more time since it's a favourite subject of mine.

If I had a penny for every person who parrots this without considering the further implications I'd be a very rich man.

Prankster's use on a TR setter is so they can still be a threat without a speed advantage OUTSIDE of Trick Room, for all the complaints about strategies such as this being gimmicky it's actually consideration for how to fight back in the worst case scenario.
I'm aware of that; However, he specifically claimed that TR gets priority, which simply wasn't true, so I corrected it.
You completely reinterpreted my post into something that I just never wrote.

i want to try trick room for singles 3v3, right now i have a m mawile and an oblivius slowbro, what could be a good third one? carbink?

I'm aware of that; However, he specifically claimed that TR gets priority, which simply wasn't true, so I corrected it.
You completely reinterpreted my post into something that I just never wrote.
which means that it also has priority in trick room with all its support moves
Actually you're the one who misinterpreted it, they never said Trick Room had priority, but it has priority within Trick Room. Very different thing and quite important since it stays reliable on support in or out.

i want to try trick room for singles 3v3, right now i have a m mawile and an oblivius slowbro, what could be a good third one? carbink?
3v3 is pretty much just a offensive slugfest you don't really want a defensive user like Carbink.

Last edited:
sounds like something you would use Avalugg on. How do you secure those turns to set up both Trick Room and Hail reliably?

sounds like something you would use Avalugg on. How do you secure those turns to set up both Trick Room and Hail reliably?
Clever use of Protect.

Also double Blizzard lead of M-Aboma and Specs Rotom-Frost can freak people out about who to KO first. It's pretty much guaranteed you're going to hit them really hard with a Blizzard.

Though I'm going to pick on you too here because you've completely ignored Whimsicott, it is basically one of the best Prankster Trick Room setters in the whole of Gen 6 when it becomes available, solely on the merit of it being a Fairy type and it's vast movepool. Trick Room teams traditionally in the past have had massive synergistic weakness in all being weak or at best neutral to powerful Dark and Ghost type attacks and suddenly we get a Fighting/Dark/Bug/Ground/Water/Electric resist + Dragon immune TR user with priority?

Its not the only one, Gen 6 has literally brought us five new fantastic new Trick Room setters who aren't deadweight and they're literally being ignored by people who can't seem to shift to a new generation mindset.

Come to think I might just do a huge post on TR in general later when I have more time since it's a favourite subject of mine.
I should also mention several new pokemon that would adore trick room support. Pangoro and Clawitzer are my two favorites for that one. (Parting shot and trick room? One massive move pool on Booker Dewitt levels and trick room?)

Thought I would reccomend a TR sweeper

Exploud @ Iron Ball/Life Orb
Timid Nature
Scrappy
252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def 0 Speed IV

-Boomburst
-Flamethrower/ Fire Blast
-Surf
-Focus Blast/Ice Beam

Exploud got a nice niche with boomburst this gen and with pretty low speed can do well in a TR team. The EVs are pretty simple, 252 HP for a bit more survivability and 252 in SpA for power. Boomburst w/ Scrappy hits everything except for steel and rock which is covered by the fire move of your choice and surf respectively.

For the item I was thinking Life Orb originally, for more power, but I wasn't sure if Exploud's speed was low enough to effectively use the TR so I thought Iron Ball could be a useful option.

What do you all think?

Trick Room teams traditionally in the past have had massive synergistic weakness in all being weak or at best neutral to powerful Dark and Ghost type attacks and suddenly we get a Fighting/Dark/Bug/Ground/Water/Electric resist + Dragon immune TR user with priority?
Whimsicott is not a big deal on TR teams. It's resistances are nice but aside from setting up TR it doesn't really do much of anything. It's also predictable once you learn it's set and not all that hard to play around. It's not bad but you're overrating it.

Also, every half decent TR team last gen ran Porygon2 and at least 1 Steel type. Ghost and Dark attacks weren't problematic then.

Trick room's biggest challenge this gen is dealing with all the priority. Think talonflame, azumarril, lucario, dragonite, kanga, mawile, aegislash, klefki, all the old priority users that continue their popularity... I look at most teams I've built and realize that on average I'm including three or four priority moves without even intending it. The challenges priority brings are actually twofold - Most obviously, priority will bypass the effects of trick room. But additionally people are building teams to deal with the priority - sweepers are bulkier, walls are less likely to be sacrificing precious HP EVs to speed creep, etc. EDIT: To be clear, trick room is good at wrecking HO teams or teams with more frail, gen5-style sweepers like landorus-T and thundurus-T. These fast but frail sweepers have been less popular lately because they don't like eating a priority acrobatics or sucker punch.

Trick room also received some new toys just like a lot of other strategies, and can adapt. By definition I feel trick room is a gimmick - you know whether you'll win or lose before the first button is clicked at team preview.

Whimsicott is not a big deal on TR teams. It's resistances are nice but aside from setting up TR it doesn't really do much of anything. It's also predictable once you learn it's set and not all that hard to play around. It's not bad but you're overrating it.

Also, every half decent TR team last gen ran Porygon2 and at least 1 Steel type. Ghost and Dark attacks weren't problematic then.
And Steel lost it's Ghost/Dark resist this Gen so that point is kind of lost between Generations, so you're stuck with Fairies or Fighting.

I know about Pory2, it was pretty much one of the premier Singles TR users, not quite as useful in Doubles/VGC but it worked well in Singles due to the tendency I think for Singles to orientate more towards offensive TR. Priority is a problem but all I see it as is a reason for TR teams to start building more towards balanced rather than all out offensive as they tended to be previously.

I've had a lot of success with my Trick Room team, namely Rhyperior and Crawdaunt. Rhyperior is great because he's able to tank all the Talonflame Brave Birds and Flare Blitz getting spammed, and most things do not want to take a Life Orb'd Stone Edge or Earthquake. Crawdaunt is also great with the buff to Knock Off and the recent addition of Aqua Jet to his arsenal. Knock Off deals about half of Skarm's health, and you can finish it off with Crabhammer. Crawdaunt is also great because one thing that most people forget is that Trick Room reverses the speed on +1 Priority as well. I cannot tell you how many Talonflames have tried to Brave Bird me under Trick Room only to get OHKO'd by Aqua Jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)