LC Turtwig

Conni

katharsis
[OVERVIEW]

Turtwig brings an interesting niche to the table as the only pure Grass-type that can set Stealth Rock; this, coupled with other decent attributes such as a decent movepool, defensive stats, and typing, allows Turtwig to be an adequate entry hazard setter. Aside from a great recovery option in Synthesis, Turtwig has access to two other good moves in Bullet Seed for STAB damage against Pokemon such as Staryu and Drilbur, which also happen to be common Rapid Spin users, and Superpower for coverage against Pokemon such as Magnemite and Pawniard. However, while it has a good matchup against most spinners, Turtwig falls short to other common metagame threats such as Ponyta and Vullaby. Turtwig is outclassed by Ferroseed as a Grass-type entry hazard setter and by Onix as a Stealth Rock setter due to their more useful abilities and better stats. Turtwig is also relatively passive due to its limited offensive options, moderate stats, and the drawbacks of Superpower. The biggest reason why Turtwig isn't used much is because there are better Stealth Rock setters such as the aforementioned Onix, while as a Water-type check, Grass-types such as Snivy are more reliable.

[SET]
name: Defensive Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Bullet Seed
move 4: Superpower
item: Eviolite
ability: Overgrow
nature: Careful
evs: 76 HP / 52 Atk / 244 Def / 76 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Turtwig to set entry hazards to chip away at the opposition's health, allowing Turtwig's teammates to take care of them with less difficulty. Synthesis allows Turtwig to switch in more comfortably and continue setting Stealth Rock if it has been removed. Bullet Seed is Turtwig's strongest and most reliable STAB move, as it can be quite powerful depending on how many times it hits and thanks to LC's multi-hit mechanics is a more powerful choice than Seed Bomb. This also allows it to effectively combat Focus Sash users such as Diglett and SturdyJuice users such as Onix. Superpower is Turtwig's strongest coverage option against common Steel-types such as Pawniard and Magnemite that resist its other moves. Superpower can hit these two heavily on the switch; however, the stat drops leave Turtwig vulnerable to revenge killing or being forced out afterwards.

Set Details
========

The given defensive investments in conjunction with Eviolite and a Careful nature make Turtwig as bulky as possible, which allows it to switch into resisted hits more safely. 28 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed some of its targets such as defensive Tirtouga, while 52 Attack EVs allow it to have a higher chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnemite. Turtwig utilizes Overgrow instead of Shell Armor because gaining extra STAB damage at low health is a better option over protection against critical hits, which is rather unreliable.

Usage Tips
========

Turtwig should be used as a lead or sent out early-game into Pokemon it doesn't take a lot of damage from, such as Omanyte and Onix, to force them out so it can set up Stealth Rock. The earlier Turtwig can set Stealth Rock the better, because it may be easier to avoid threats early-game, which eases entry hazard setup. Turtwig can use its good bulk to switch into resisted Water- and Electric-type moves such as Staryu's Hydro Pump and Elekid's Thunderbolt; however, it needs to be careful of coverage such as Ice Beam from most variants of the aforementioned Staryu. Turtwig can also use the forced switch when switching into Pokemon it checks to recover with Synthesis if needed; however, it should only do so if it is sure it can survive one more hit, as otherwise its low Speed stat can be taken advantage of. Turtwig should freely spam Bullet Seed on Pokemon it can defeat, but it should only use Superpower when it attempts to hit Steel-types on the switch to KO them because the subsequent lowering of its stats can create an opening for the opposition. Don't take advantage of Overgrow without thought, as instead of taking advantage of the extra damage provided, Turtwig should prioritize recovering with Synthesis in case its Stealth Rock is removed or its defensive typing is still needed; an opportunity where it can use Overgrow, however, is if it is confident that it can KO a Pokemon on the switch with Bullet Seed. Setup sweepers should be taken care of or have their plays predicted to ensure Turtwig is not taken advantage of after using Superpower. Turtwig should also be aware of Vullaby, especially its Weak Armor variants, as Turtwig's attacks are resisted and give it Speed boosts. Additionally, Vullaby can force out Turtwig rather easily and use Defog to remove its entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby are great teammates for Turtwig, as they can deal with Foongus, one of Turtwig's best checks, and other threats such as Croagunk and Mienfoo. In return, Turtwig can switch into threatening Electric-types and Onix. Sweepers such as Scraggy and Carvanha appreciate Turtwig's ability to set Stealth Rock, as this allows them to KO the opposition with less difficulty. Poison-type checks such as Diglett and Mudbray can deal with the likes of Alolan Grimer and Gastly, which threaten Turtwig; in return, it can deal with Water-types that trouble Diglett and Mudbray. Pokemon such as Magnemite and Shell Smash Tirtouga make good partners, as they can both take care of Flying- and Ice-types with their respective STAB moves, while the former also provides Volt Switch support for Turtwig to switch in more comfortably. Fire-types such as Ponyta and Salandit pose a great problem to Turtwig; therefore, Pokemon such as Mareanie and Diglett make great partners. The former can help additionally by stacking Toxic Spikes, while the latter can also trap and KO other targets that trouble Turtwig. On the other hand, Fire-types are also good teammates, since they have great type synergy with Turtwig, appreciate it setting Stealth Rock, and can take out Foongus and other troublesome Grass-types. These Fire-types alongside Turtwig and Staryu also form a great core, as each of these Pokemon can take care of each other's checks thanks to their typing synergy, while Staryu can remove entry hazards as well without removing Turtwig's own like Defoggers would.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic can be used to combat Pokemon that wall Turtwig such as Larvesta and defensive Vullaby and cripple generally any other Pokemon given the right situation; however, it is hard to fit without leaving Turtwig less able to fulfill its role effectively, as it would either replace Synthesis, a very reliable recovery method, or Superpower, Turtwig's only coverage move. Earth Power allows Turtwig to deal super effective damage to its Fire- and Poison-type checks on the switch while also hitting Steel-types, although Turtwig's poor Special Attack lets it down and therefore makes Superpower the superior coverage move. Leech Seed can be used, potentially in conjunction with Protect, to wear down and stall out opposing Pokemon to leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates, although, as a recovery option, Synthesis is much better. Also, there isn't much space for Protect, an essential tool in Leech Seed stalling.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Taunt**: Pokemon such as the common Mienfoo carry Taunt, which shuts down Turtwig's chances of setting entry hazards or recovering and forces it to switch, as Mienfoo may carry coverage such as Acrobatics or use Knock Off to remove its Eviolite.

**Setup Sweepers**: Setup sweepers that resist Turtwig's moves such as Nasty Plot Croagunk and Vullaby can easily use Turtwig as setup bait due to its passivity and OHKO it with their respective super effective STAB moves.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby can take all of Turtwig's moves bar Superpower and outspeed it and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally, Flying-type setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby can use Turtwig as setup bait, as it can do nothing to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ponyta and Larvesta can outspeed Turtwig and use super effective STAB moves to KO it. Most also carry Will-O-Wisp, which can effectively cripple Turtwig and make it completely passive. It should be noted that worn-down Fire-types may fear Superpower, which can potentially 3HKO them.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Gastly and Croagunk are dangerous threats to Turtwig, as they can also resist all of Turtwig's moves and respond with a super effective STAB move that can either KO it or cripple its longevity by poisoning it. Additionally, Turtwig can be used as setup bait by Croagunk. Foongus deserves a special mention, as it is one of the most efficient checks to Turtwig, resisting all of its moves and KOing it if it doesn't switch out. Foongus is very common as well, which gives Turtwig a hard time in most battles.

**Ice-type Pokemon and Coverage**: Ice-types such as Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew can outspeed Turtwig and OHKO it with super effective STAB moves. However, Turtwig can OHKO these two with Superpower if it gets the chance to strike. Ice-type coverage is also threatening, since Water-types that Turtwig can usually switch into might carry Ice-type coverage moves that can deal heavy damage on the switch such as Ice Beam from Chinchou and Staryu.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Conni, 319599]]
- Quality checked by: [[Merritt, 213064], [Nineage, 195129], [Corporal Levi, 55063]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [frostration, 447027]]

Last edited by a moderator:
evs: 244 Def / 236 SpD / 28 Spe

This ev spread strikes me as interesting. I don't have calculations but would it be better to drop one defence down to 14 in order to add 2 HP points. 14 is still foongus level bulk so is fantastic.

Edit more:

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Rufflet can easily resist all of Turtwig's moves and can outspeed and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally Flying-type setup sweepers such as Bulk Up Rufflet can use it as setup bait as Turtwig can do utterly nothing to them.

Bad examples? Those two don't resist superpower.

Snivy should also have its own mention in C&C. Defog the rocks away, synthesis any damage at all until turtwig is weak and then use it as setup fodder.

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis
evs: 244 Def / 236 SpD / 28 Spe

This ev spread strikes me as interesting. I don't have calculations but would it be better to drop one defence down to 14 in order to add 2 HP points. 14 is still foongus level bulk so is fantastic.

Edit more:

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Rufflet can easily resist all of Turtwig's moves and can outspeed and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally Flying-type setup sweepers such as Bulk Up Rufflet can use it as setup bait as Turtwig can do utterly nothing to them.

Bad examples? Those two don't resist superpower.

Snivy should also have its own mention in C&C. Defog the rocks away, synthesis any damage at all until turtwig is weak and then use it as setup fodder.
implemented, thanks!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Feel like you should mention that it does compete with Chespin in the overview as a bulky grass type entry hazard setter, who has spikes instead of stealth rock and a much better ability.

Overview: Grass doesn't resist Steel, assuming you meant Water. The fact that Turtwig has access to Stealth Rock as a Grass-type isn't really the important part since both Ferroseed and Lileep have it as well, I'd either clarify as a "pure" grass type (since that means it resists Ground instead of being neutral) or add a little more focus onto Synthesis.

Set: EVs can be set at 76 SpD instead of 80 (somebody'll question why 80 instead of 76 later otherwise, might as well head it off now), I assume you mean 28 Spe instead of your current 28x

Moves: Bullet Seed actually hits as hard or harder than Seed Bomb virtually always due to how LC rolls work, often being exactly as strong on a 2 hit and stronger on 3+, so you might as well say it's the strongest physical STAB move Turtwig has instead of trying to justify it with Focus Sash pokemon. You'll probably want to call Superpower Turtwig's "strongest" coverage move against Steel-types, since it technically does have other ways to hit them.

Set Details: Update this for the new spread. I don't think you need the commentary on how good an ability Overgrow is, just why it's picked over Shell Armor.

Usage Tips: I'd say mentioning that Turtwig is a fantastic switch in to Onix would be a good idea in here.

Team Options: Wouldn't mention Doduo personally, since Sludge Bomb makes it blow up just as hard as Turtwig (percent of hp wise they take nearly the same amount) nor does it have access to Defog. I'd suggest mentioning that along with Electric-types Turtwig can also switch into Onix rather well.

Other Options: Wouldn't call finding a place for Toxic a struggle on Turtwig's "current moveset", that's either completely meaningless or insane, would instead say it's hard to fit without Turtwig being able to fulfill its role less effectively in general.

Checks and Counters:

Timburr never runs Taunt. Even the LC-0 ladder doesn't run Taunt. Mienfoo also very rarely runs Taunt nowadays. Taunt is honestly so uncommon and Turtwig isn't overly crippled that I'd personally say you can safely remove this point, although you should leave it in to see what QC says.

Doduo and Vullaby don't resist Superpower, so the sentence about them resisting all of Turtwig's moves is somewhat misleading.

In Fire-types, I'd replace Magby with Larvesta, since it resists Superpower and is far more viable than Magby. Superpower also does a massive amount of damage to Magby.

I'd replace the mention of Foongus in Poison-types with Gastly and instead give Foongus its own mention - it's incredibly common and completely and utterly no-sells Turtwig.

In Ice Coverage, I'd instead generalize it to be that Water-types who you'd want Turtwig to handle often carry ice coverage and give examples like Staryu, Chinchou, or Shellder.

I'm not QC so this isn't 1/3 btw.

Conni

katharsis
Feel like you should mention that it does compete with Chespin in the overview as a bulky grass type entry hazard setter, who has spikes instead of stealth rock and a much better ability.

Overview: Grass doesn't resist Steel, assuming you meant Water. The fact that Turtwig has access to Stealth Rock as a Grass-type isn't really the important part since both Ferroseed and Lileep have it as well, I'd either clarify as a "pure" grass type (since that means it resists Ground instead of being neutral) or add a little more focus onto Synthesis.

Set: EVs can be set at 76 SpD instead of 80 (somebody'll question why 80 instead of 76 later otherwise, might as well head it off now), I assume you mean 28 Spe instead of your current 28x

Moves: Bullet Seed actually hits as hard or harder than Seed Bomb virtually always due to how LC rolls work, often being exactly as strong on a 2 hit and stronger on 3+, so you might as well say it's the strongest physical STAB move Turtwig has instead of trying to justify it with Focus Sash pokemon. You'll probably want to call Superpower Turtwig's "strongest" coverage move against Steel-types, since it technically does have other ways to hit them.

Set Details: Update this for the new spread. I don't think you need the commentary on how good an ability Overgrow is, just why it's picked over Shell Armor.

Usage Tips: I'd say mentioning that Turtwig is a fantastic switch in to Onix would be a good idea in here.

Team Options: Wouldn't mention Doduo personally, since Sludge Bomb makes it blow up just as hard as Turtwig (percent of hp wise they take nearly the same amount) nor does it have access to Defog. I'd suggest mentioning that along with Electric-types Turtwig can also switch into Onix rather well.

Other Options: Wouldn't call finding a place for Toxic a struggle on Turtwig's "current moveset", that's either completely meaningless or insane, would instead say it's hard to fit without Turtwig being able to fulfill its role less effectively in general.

Checks and Counters:

Timburr never runs Taunt. Even the LC-0 ladder doesn't run Taunt. Mienfoo also very rarely runs Taunt nowadays. Taunt is honestly so uncommon and Turtwig isn't overly crippled that I'd personally say you can safely remove this point, although you should leave it in to see what QC says.

Doduo and Vullaby don't resist Superpower, so the sentence about them resisting all of Turtwig's moves is somewhat misleading.

In Fire-types, I'd replace Magby with Larvesta, since it resists Superpower and is far more viable than Magby. Superpower also does a massive amount of damage to Magby.

I'd replace the mention of Foongus in Poison-types with Gastly and instead give Foongus its own mention - it's incredibly common and completely and utterly no-sells Turtwig.

In Ice Coverage, I'd instead generalize it to be that Water-types who you'd want Turtwig to handle often carry ice coverage and give examples like Staryu, Chinchou, or Shellder.

I'm not QC so this isn't 1/3 btw.
implemented, thanks!

24/7/18 conni edit: I forgot that I don't write-up until the second qc check (oops) so I reverted it back to bullets, sry about that lol.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Make sure to group this Positive attributes > negative attributes rather than going back and forth
  • I wouldn't say Chespin has a more "reliable" ability, I would say more useful
  • Take out the sentence about Superpower leaving it vulnerable, its not important enough for an overview imo.
  • I would say the biggest reason not to use Turt is that its niche isn't that useful...it is often possible to run a more reliable rocks setter like Onix AND a Water- or Ground-check, so usually role compression isn't necessary. Make sure to bring this up.
  • Throw in a mention of its general passiveness somewhere.
Moves
========
  • Mention that LC multi-hit mechanics make Bullet Seed almost always more powerful than Seed Bomb
  • I think its worth mentioning that bullet seed messes with sturdyjuice onix as well, since that matchup is fairly common
Set Details
========
  • I'd give a few examples of rolls here when talking about defensive EVs, if possible

Usage Tips
========
  • "Additionally, Turtwig should be extra wary into switching into Scald users as a burn will cripple it offensively." - Turtwig kind of sucks offensively, and usually itll still force out Scald users. Take this out.
  • Make sure to mention the passiveness of Turtwig - people should avoid allowing it to become setup bait, especially after it lowers its attack with Superpower.
  • Mention to be wary of vullaby as well, since Turtwig can barely touch it, gives it a speed boost, and allows it defog away stealth rock
Team Options
========
  • Why on earth would you want to run a defogger in conjunction with a Pokemon that only exists to set rocks? You can talk about flying types but I wouldnt mention defog.
  • I'd also talk about fire type attackers, like Ponyta and Salandit, that appreciate rocks and have terrific synergy with turt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • "it is hard to fit without Turtwig being able to fulfill its role less effectively" - elaborate on this

Checks and Counters
===================
I'd take out the Snivy point. I dont think Turtwig is particularly more vulnerable to Snivy than most of the metagame.

Since Merritt became QC shortly after checking this, I'm stamping his check. Implement mine and give yourself 2/3

Conni

katharsis
[OVERVIEW]
  • Make sure to group this Positive attributes > negative attributes rather than going back and forth
  • I wouldn't say Chespin has a more "reliable" ability, I would say more useful
  • Take out the sentence about Superpower leaving it vulnerable, its not important enough for an overview imo.
  • I would say the biggest reason not to use Turt is that its niche isn't that useful...it is often possible to run a more reliable rocks setter like Onix AND a Water- or Ground-check, so usually role compression isn't necessary. Make sure to bring this up.
  • Throw in a mention of its general passiveness somewhere.
Moves
========
  • Mention that LC multi-hit mechanics make Bullet Seed almost always more powerful than Seed Bomb
  • I think its worth mentioning that bullet seed messes with sturdyjuice onix as well, since that matchup is fairly common
Set Details
========
  • I'd give a few examples of rolls here when talking about defensive EVs, if possible

Usage Tips
========
  • "Additionally, Turtwig should be extra wary into switching into Scald users as a burn will cripple it offensively." - Turtwig kind of sucks offensively, and usually itll still force out Scald users. Take this out.
  • Make sure to mention the passiveness of Turtwig - people should avoid allowing it to become setup bait, especially after it lowers its attack with Superpower.
  • Mention to be wary of vullaby as well, since Turtwig can barely touch it, gives it a speed boost, and allows it defog away stealth rock
Team Options
========
  • Why on earth would you want to run a defogger in conjunction with a Pokemon that only exists to set rocks? You can talk about flying types but I wouldnt mention defog.
  • I'd also talk about fire type attackers, like Ponyta and Salandit, that appreciate rocks and have terrific synergy with turt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • "it is hard to fit without Turtwig being able to fulfill its role less effectively" - elaborate on this

Checks and Counters
===================
I'd take out the Snivy point. I dont think Turtwig is particularly more vulnerable to Snivy than most of the metagame.

Since Merritt became QC shortly after checking this, I'm stamping his check. Implement mine and give yourself 2/3
Sorry this took too long, this has been finally implemented and written up. This analysis is now ready for its last QC check!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Mention Ferroseed as a mon that potentially outclasses Turtwig in the overview.

Change the EV spread to 76 HP / 52 Atk / 244 Def / 76 SpD / 28 Spe, otherwise you take 3 dmg from rocks instead of 2. The Attack affects some rolls too, like making the OHKO on Scarf Magnemite more likely. Change the set details accordingly.

Team Options:
Maybe mention Diglett as an example of a Poison check instead of Abra, since Abra loses badly to Grimer
Mention that Staryu and a Fire-type can form a fire-water-grass core with Turtwig for defensive synergy, with Staryu checking Fire-types for Turtwig and Turtwig dealing with opposing Water-types, and Staryu can additionally remove hazards to improve Turtwig's longevity without removing Turtwig's own hazards like a Defogger would.

Looks good otherwise, 3/3

Conni

katharsis
Mention Ferroseed as a mon that potentially outclasses Turtwig in the overview.

Change the EV spread to 76 HP / 52 Atk / 244 Def / 76 SpD / 28 Spe, otherwise you take 3 dmg from rocks instead of 2. The Attack affects some rolls too, like making the OHKO on Scarf Magnemite more likely. Change the set details accordingly.

Team Options:
Maybe mention Diglett as an example of a Poison check instead of Abra, since Abra loses badly to Grimer
Mention that Staryu and a Fire-type can form a fire-water-grass core with Turtwig for defensive synergy, with Staryu checking Fire-types for Turtwig and Turtwig dealing with opposing Water-types, and Staryu can additionally remove hazards to improve Turtwig's longevity without removing Turtwig's own hazards like a Defogger would.

Looks good otherwise, 3/3
Implemented, thanks!
This is ready for GP now.

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Greetings, AM.
Additions, Removals, Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Turtwig brings an interesting niche to the table as it is the only pure Grass-type that can set Stealth Rock,; (comma --> semicolon) this fact coupled with other decent (double "decent" here in short succession, perhaps change this to "noteworthy"?) attributes such as a decent movepool, defensive stats, and typing allows Turtwig to be an adequate entry hazard setter. Aside from a great recovery option in Synthesis, Turtwig has access to two other good moves in Bullet Seed for STAB damage against Pokemon such as Staryu and Drilbur, who also happen to be common Rapid Spin users;, (Pretty sure this is an "A, (extra clause for A), and B" structure, so there isn't a need for a semicolon here) and Superpower for coverage against Pokemon such as Magnemite and Pawniard. Despite However, while it has a its ("despite" is somewhat odd here, as there is no real direct relation between it having a good matchup against Rapid Spinners and not having a good matchup against "common metagame threats") good matchup against most Rapid Spinners, Turtwig falls short to other common metagame threats such as Ponyta and Vullaby. As a Grass-type entry hazard setter or and (follow-up is plural, so this should be as well) a Stealth Rock setter, Turtwig is outclassed by the likes of (In this case, you are giving two and only two specific examples due to the "respectively" that follows, so the "the likes of" does not fit) Ferroseed and Onix, respectively, due to their better qualities such as their a more useful abilityies or and better stats (The previous sentence read somewhat strangely, and the plurals were off. Not 100% about this iteration, though). Turtwig is also relatively passive due to its limited offensive options, moderate stats, and the drawbacks of Superpower. The biggest reason to why Turtwig isn't used as much is because there are better Stealth Rock setters such as the aforementioned Onix can simply be chosen instead, (AC) while as a Water-type check, Grass-types such as Snivy are more trusted ( I kinda get where you're coming from with "trusted", but it does sound a little bit odd to me. Perhaps "reliable"?).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Turtwig to set entry hazards to chip away at the opposition's longevity, this allows allowing Turtwig's teammates to take care of them with less difficulty. Synthesis allows Turtwig to recover its health significantly (I feel this is a bit of a fluffy word that doesn't really contribute much, given that most status healing moves used recover the same amount as Synth anyway), (AC) which then allows it switch into Pokemon more comfortably and continue setting Stealth Rocks if they are removed (Admittedly not really happy about this amendment, as I reckon it still sounds kinda odd, but it is necessary for it to be plural since you refer to "they" which is plural). Bullet Seed is Turtwig's most strongest (superlatives cannot be modified any further) and most reliable (The amendments given above stand regardless, but I'm somewhat torn over the descriptors "strongest" and "reliable", given that its strength is dependent on hitting x number of times, which somewhat rules out its reliability (I mean if it hits two times five times in a row, which is unlikely but possible, I wouldn't exactly call it reliable). I feel "best" might be preferable, but that's just me, won't say anymore.) STAB move as it can be quite powerful hit rather hard depending on how much many times it attacks hits (Multi-hits must always be referred to as "hits" as far as I know, so did a bit of tweaking to allow for this and avoid repetition). This also (You're still talking about Bullet Seed, so added a connector to indicate such) allows it to disrupt Focus Sash users such as Diglett and SturdyJuice (It's kinda obvious what this means, but is this an allowable combination?) users such as Onix. LC's multi-hit mechanics also make it a more powerful choice over Seed Bomb. Superpower is Turtwig's strongest coverage option against common Steel-types such as Pawniard and Magnemite that otherwise resist Turtwig's other moves. Superpower can hit these two heavily on the switch,; (comma --> semicolon) however, this leaves Turtwig vulnerable to revenge killing or being forced out afterwards.

Set Details
========

Turtwig's 76 HP, 244 Def, and 76 SpD EV investments (Honestly have never seen something like this before, might it be more economical to just say "The given defensive EVs"? If so change the "it" that follows to "Turtwig") in conjunction with the Eviolite and a Careful nature make it as bulky as possible, which allows it to switch into Pokemon it takes less damage from resisted hits more safely. The remainder of Turtwig's EVs 28 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed some of its targets such as Defensive Tirtouga, (AC) or while 52 Attack EVs allow it to have a higher chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnemite (The previous sentence read a bit confusingly, so I did a bit of chopping and changing to make it 100% unambiguous). Turtwig utilizes Overgrow instead of Shell Armor because gaining extra STAB damage at low health is a better option over protection against critical hits, which is rather unreliable.

Usage Tips
========

Turtwig should be used as a lead or be sent out early into Pokemon it doesn't take a lot of damage from, such as Omanyte and Onix, to force them out so it can set up Stealth Rock. Additionally, if they don't switch then they will be KOed by with Bullet Seed. This makes Turtwig a great switch-in to Onix. The earlier Turtwig can set Stealth Rock, (RC) the better; furthermore, it may be easier to avoid threats during the early-game, which eases setup it will allow it to help its team faster while possibly avoiding threats more efficiently early-game (The second part of the sentence doesn't really make sense at all; also, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say it's "more efficient" at avoiding threats early-game, so I did my best to approximate what you meant. If I am wrong, please change as you see fit.). Turtwig can use its good bulk to switch into resisted Water- and Electric-type moves such as Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt from the likes of Staryu and Elekid, respectively,; (comma --> semicolon) however it needs to be careful of coverage such as Ice Beam from most variants of the aforementioned Staryu. Turtwig can also use the forced switch when switching into Pokemon it checks so that it can to recover with Synthesis if needed, although only if it is sure it can resist survive one more hit, (AC) as otherwise its low Speed stat can be taken advantage of. Turtwig should freely spam Bullet Seed on Pokemon it can defeat although it should not do so with Superpower, (AC) as it should only use it when it attempts to hit Steel-types on the switch to KO them as (Avoiding repetition of "as") because the drawback on subsequent lowering of (Somewhat subjective change, but "drawback on" sounds a bit odd) its stats can create an opening for the opposition. Don't take advantage of Overgrow without thought, (AC) as instead of taking advantage of the extra damage provided, it should recover with Synthesis in case its Stealth Rocks ("are" implies plural) are removed or if its defensive typing is still needed,; (comma --> semicolon) an opportunity where it can use Overgrow, (AC) however, is if it is confident that it can KO a Pokemon on the switch with Bullet Seed. The drawbacks of using Superpower leaves ("drawbacks" is plural) Turtwig very passive, (AC) which means that it can easily become setup bait,; (comma --> semicolon) therefore, setup sweepers should be taken care of or have their plays predicted to ensure Turtwig is not taken advantage of. Turtwig should also be aware of Vullaby, especially its Weak Armor variants, (AC) as Turtwig's attacks are resisted and give it Speed boosts. Additionally, Vullaby can also (Additionally and also creates a redundancy) force out Turtwig rather easily and use Defog to remove its entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby are great teammates for Turtwig, (AC) as it they can deal with Foongus, one of Turtwig's best checks, and other threats such as Croagunk and Mienfoo. In return, (AC) Turtwig can switch into threatening Electric-types and Onix as they otherwise threaten Flying-types (the "threatening" before already makes it clear, so this is a bit redundant). This forms a nice synergy. (Once again, kinda redundant and a bit of fluff.) Sweepers such as Scraggy and Carvanha appreciate Turtwig's ability to set Stealth Rock, (AC) as this allows the sweepers to KO the opposition with less difficulty. Poison-type checks such as Diglett and Mudbray can deal with the likes of Alolan Grimer and Gastly which otherwise threaten Turtwig,; (comma --> semicolon) in return it can also deal with Water-types that trouble Mudbray (I don't know LC, but is there a reason Diglett is not included here too?). Pokemon such as Magnemite and Shell Smash Tirtouga make good partners, (AC) as they can both take care of Flying- and Ice-types with their respective STAB moves while the former also provides Volt Switch support for Turtwig to switch in more comfortably. Fire-types such as Ponyta and Salandit pose a great problem to Turtwig; (Added semicolon) therefore, (AC) Pokemon such as Mareanie and Diglett make great partners,. (comma --> period, as the sentence became a bit convoluted) The (capitalized) former can help additionally by stacking Toxic Spikes, (AC) while the latter can also trap and KO other targets that trouble Turtwig. On the other hand, Fire-types are also good teammates since they have great typinge synergy with Turtwig, appreciate it setting Stealth Rock, and can take out Foongus and other troublesome Grass-types. These Fire-types alongside Turtwig and Staryu also form a great core, as each of these Pokemon can take care of each other's checks thanks to their typing synergy, (AC) while Staryu can additionally ("additionally" is redundant with "as well") remove entry hazards as well, (AC) without removing Turtwig's own like Defoggers would.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic can be used to combat Pokemon that wall Turtwig such as Larvesta and Defensive Vullaby, (AC) and generally any other Pokemon given the right situation to cripple the opposition's longevity and leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates,; (comma --> semicolon) however, it is hard to fit without leaving Turtwig being less able to fulfill its role less effectively, (AC) as it'd (Don't know how acceptable contractions like this are, but I'd honestly go "it would" here) either replace Synthesis, a very reliable recovery method;, or Superpower, Turtwig's only coverage move. Earth Power allows it do to deal super effective damage to its Fire- and Poison-type checks on the switch while also hitting Steel-types too, although Turtwig's poor Special Attack lets it down and therefore makes Superpower the coverage move of choice. Leech Seed can be used, (AC) potentially in conjunction with Protect, (AC) to wear down and stall out opposing Pokemon to leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates, although, as a recovery option, (AC) Synthesis is much better. Also, there isn't much space for Protect, an essential tool in Leech Seed stalling either. (Redundant with "also")

Checks and Counters
===================
**Taunt**: Pokemon such as the common Mienfoo carry Taunt, (AC) which shuts down Turtwig's chances of setting entry hazards or recovering and forces it to switch, (AC) as otherwise Mienfoo may carry coverage such as Acrobatics against it or use Knock Off to remove its bulk (probably better "bulk" --> "Eviolite" here to be 100% clear).

**Setup Sweepers**: Setup sweepers that resist Turtwig's moves such as Nasty Plot Croagunk and Vullaby can easily use Turtwig as setup bait due to its passivity and OHKO it with their respective super effective STAB moves.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby can take all of Turtwig's moves bar Superpower and can outspeed and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally, (AC) Flying-type setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby can use it as setup bait, (AC) as Turtwig can do utterly nothing to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ponyta and Larvesta can also outspeed Turtwig and use super effective STAB moves to KO it. Most also carry Will-O-Wisp, (AC) which can effectively cripple Turtwig and make it completely passive. It can (p sure that it should be "should", not "can", here) be noted that worn down Fire-types may fear Superpower, (AC) which can potentially 3HKO them at least.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Gastly and Croagunk are dangerous threats to Turtwig, (AC) as they can also resist all of Turtwig's moves and respond back with a super effective STAB move that can either KO it or cripple its longevity by poisoning it. Additionally, Turtwig can be used as setup bait by Croagunk. Foongus deserves a special mention as it is one of the most efficient checks to Turtwig, (AC) as it resists all of the latter's moves easily and can KO Turtwig if it doesn't switch out already,. (comma --> period) Foongus is also very common as well, (AC) which gives Turtwig a hard time in most battles.

**Ice-type Pokemon and coverage**: Ice-types such as Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew can outspeed and OHKO Turtwig with super effective STAB moves. However, Turtwig can OHKO these two with Superpower if it gets the chance to strike, such as if Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew switch into it, although they shouldn't because of this reason and because Bullet Seed can potentially 2HKO the former. Ice-type coverage is also threatening, (AC) since Water-types that Turtwig can usually switch into might carry Ice-type coverage moves that can deal heavy damage on the switch such as Ice Beam from Chinchou and Staryu.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [Conni, 319599]]
- Quality checked by: [[Merritt, 213064], [Nineage, 195129], [Corporal Levi, 55063]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <username2>]][/QUOTE]

Totally unrelated side note, I wrote "Turtwing" something like 5 times reading over this. Either way, nice analysis ^^

Conni

katharsis
Greetings, AM.
Additions, Removals, Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Turtwig brings an interesting niche to the table as it is the only pure Grass-type that can set Stealth Rock,; (comma --> semicolon) this fact coupled with other decent (double "decent" here in short succession, perhaps change this to "noteworthy"?) attributes such as a decent movepool, defensive stats, and typing allows Turtwig to be an adequate entry hazard setter. Aside from a great recovery option in Synthesis, Turtwig has access to two other good moves in Bullet Seed for STAB damage against Pokemon such as Staryu and Drilbur, who also happen to be common Rapid Spin users;, (Pretty sure this is an "A, (extra clause for A), and B" structure, so there isn't a need for a semicolon here) and Superpower for coverage against Pokemon such as Magnemite and Pawniard. Despite However, while it has a its ("despite" is somewhat odd here, as there is no real direct relation between it having a good matchup against Rapid Spinners and not having a good matchup against "common metagame threats") good matchup against most Rapid Spinners, Turtwig falls short to other common metagame threats such as Ponyta and Vullaby. As a Grass-type entry hazard setter or and (follow-up is plural, so this should be as well) a Stealth Rock setter, Turtwig is outclassed by the likes of (In this case, you are giving two and only two specific examples due to the "respectively" that follows, so the "the likes of" does not fit) Ferroseed and Onix, respectively, due to their better qualities such as their a more useful abilityies or and better stats (The previous sentence read somewhat strangely, and the plurals were off. Not 100% about this iteration, though). Turtwig is also relatively passive due to its limited offensive options, moderate stats, and the drawbacks of Superpower. The biggest reason to why Turtwig isn't used as much is because there are better Stealth Rock setters such as the aforementioned Onix can simply be chosen instead, (AC) while as a Water-type check, Grass-types such as Snivy are more trusted ( I kinda get where you're coming from with "trusted", but it does sound a little bit odd to me. Perhaps "reliable"?).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Turtwig to set entry hazards to chip away at the opposition's longevity, this allows allowing Turtwig's teammates to take care of them with less difficulty. Synthesis allows Turtwig to recover its health significantly (I feel this is a bit of a fluffy word that doesn't really contribute much, given that most status healing moves used recover the same amount as Synth anyway), (AC) which then allows it switch into Pokemon more comfortably and continue setting Stealth Rocks if they are removed (Admittedly not really happy about this amendment, as I reckon it still sounds kinda odd, but it is necessary for it to be plural since you refer to "they" which is plural). Bullet Seed is Turtwig's most strongest (superlatives cannot be modified any further) and most reliable (The amendments given above stand regardless, but I'm somewhat torn over the descriptors "strongest" and "reliable", given that its strength is dependent on hitting x number of times, which somewhat rules out its reliability (I mean if it hits two times five times in a row, which is unlikely but possible, I wouldn't exactly call it reliable). I feel "best" might be preferable, but that's just me, won't say anymore.) STAB move as it can be quite powerful hit rather hard depending on how much many times it attacks hits (Multi-hits must always be referred to as "hits" as far as I know, so did a bit of tweaking to allow for this and avoid repetition). This also (You're still talking about Bullet Seed, so added a connector to indicate such) allows it to disrupt Focus Sash users such as Diglett and SturdyJuice (It's kinda obvious what this means, but is this an allowable combination?) users such as Onix. LC's multi-hit mechanics also make it a more powerful choice over Seed Bomb. Superpower is Turtwig's strongest coverage option against common Steel-types such as Pawniard and Magnemite that otherwise resist Turtwig's other moves. Superpower can hit these two heavily on the switch,; (comma --> semicolon) however, this leaves Turtwig vulnerable to revenge killing or being forced out afterwards.

Set Details
========

Turtwig's 76 HP, 244 Def, and 76 SpD EV investments (Honestly have never seen something like this before, might it be more economical to just say "The given defensive EVs"? If so change the "it" that follows to "Turtwig") in conjunction with the Eviolite and a Careful nature make it as bulky as possible, which allows it to switch into Pokemon it takes less damage from resisted hits more safely. The remainder of Turtwig's EVs 28 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed some of its targets such as Defensive Tirtouga, (AC) or while 52 Attack EVs allow it to have a higher chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnemite (The previous sentence read a bit confusingly, so I did a bit of chopping and changing to make it 100% unambiguous). Turtwig utilizes Overgrow instead of Shell Armor because gaining extra STAB damage at low health is a better option over protection against critical hits, which is rather unreliable.

Usage Tips
========

Turtwig should be used as a lead or be sent out early into Pokemon it doesn't take a lot of damage from, such as Omanyte and Onix, to force them out so it can set up Stealth Rock. Additionally, if they don't switch then they will be KOed by with Bullet Seed. This makes Turtwig a great switch-in to Onix. The earlier Turtwig can set Stealth Rock, (RC) the better; furthermore, it may be easier to avoid threats during the early-game, which eases setup it will allow it to help its team faster while possibly avoiding threats more efficiently early-game (The second part of the sentence doesn't really make sense at all; also, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say it's "more efficient" at avoiding threats early-game, so I did my best to approximate what you meant. If I am wrong, please change as you see fit.). Turtwig can use its good bulk to switch into resisted Water- and Electric-type moves such as Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt from the likes of Staryu and Elekid, respectively,; (comma --> semicolon) however it needs to be careful of coverage such as Ice Beam from most variants of the aforementioned Staryu. Turtwig can also use the forced switch when switching into Pokemon it checks so that it can to recover with Synthesis if needed, although only if it is sure it can resist survive one more hit, (AC) as otherwise its low Speed stat can be taken advantage of. Turtwig should freely spam Bullet Seed on Pokemon it can defeat although it should not do so with Superpower, (AC) as it should only use it when it attempts to hit Steel-types on the switch to KO them as (Avoiding repetition of "as") because the drawback on subsequent lowering of (Somewhat subjective change, but "drawback on" sounds a bit odd) its stats can create an opening for the opposition. Don't take advantage of Overgrow without thought, (AC) as instead of taking advantage of the extra damage provided, it should recover with Synthesis in case its Stealth Rocks ("are" implies plural) are removed or if its defensive typing is still needed,; (comma --> semicolon) an opportunity where it can use Overgrow, (AC) however, is if it is confident that it can KO a Pokemon on the switch with Bullet Seed. The drawbacks of using Superpower leaves ("drawbacks" is plural) Turtwig very passive, (AC) which means that it can easily become setup bait,; (comma --> semicolon) therefore, setup sweepers should be taken care of or have their plays predicted to ensure Turtwig is not taken advantage of. Turtwig should also be aware of Vullaby, especially its Weak Armor variants, (AC) as Turtwig's attacks are resisted and give it Speed boosts. Additionally, Vullaby can also (Additionally and also creates a redundancy) force out Turtwig rather easily and use Defog to remove its entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby are great teammates for Turtwig, (AC) as it they can deal with Foongus, one of Turtwig's best checks, and other threats such as Croagunk and Mienfoo. In return, (AC) Turtwig can switch into threatening Electric-types and Onix as they otherwise threaten Flying-types (the "threatening" before already makes it clear, so this is a bit redundant). This forms a nice synergy. (Once again, kinda redundant and a bit of fluff.) Sweepers such as Scraggy and Carvanha appreciate Turtwig's ability to set Stealth Rock, (AC) as this allows the sweepers to KO the opposition with less difficulty. Poison-type checks such as Diglett and Mudbray can deal with the likes of Alolan Grimer and Gastly which otherwise threaten Turtwig,; (comma --> semicolon) in return it can also deal with Water-types that trouble Mudbray (I don't know LC, but is there a reason Diglett is not included here too?). Pokemon such as Magnemite and Shell Smash Tirtouga make good partners, (AC) as they can both take care of Flying- and Ice-types with their respective STAB moves while the former also provides Volt Switch support for Turtwig to switch in more comfortably. Fire-types such as Ponyta and Salandit pose a great problem to Turtwig; (Added semicolon) therefore, (AC) Pokemon such as Mareanie and Diglett make great partners,. (comma --> period, as the sentence became a bit convoluted) The (capitalized) former can help additionally by stacking Toxic Spikes, (AC) while the latter can also trap and KO other targets that trouble Turtwig. On the other hand, Fire-types are also good teammates since they have great typinge synergy with Turtwig, appreciate it setting Stealth Rock, and can take out Foongus and other troublesome Grass-types. These Fire-types alongside Turtwig and Staryu also form a great core, as each of these Pokemon can take care of each other's checks thanks to their typing synergy, (AC) while Staryu can additionally ("additionally" is redundant with "as well") remove entry hazards as well, (AC) without removing Turtwig's own like Defoggers would.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic can be used to combat Pokemon that wall Turtwig such as Larvesta and Defensive Vullaby, (AC) and generally any other Pokemon given the right situation to cripple the opposition's longevity and leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates,; (comma --> semicolon) however, it is hard to fit without leaving Turtwig being less able to fulfill its role less effectively, (AC) as it'd (Don't know how acceptable contractions like this are, but I'd honestly go "it would" here) either replace Synthesis, a very reliable recovery method;, or Superpower, Turtwig's only coverage move. Earth Power allows it do to deal super effective damage to its Fire- and Poison-type checks on the switch while also hitting Steel-types too, although Turtwig's poor Special Attack lets it down and therefore makes Superpower the coverage move of choice. Leech Seed can be used, (AC) potentially in conjunction with Protect, (AC) to wear down and stall out opposing Pokemon to leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates, although, as a recovery option, (AC) Synthesis is much better. Also, there isn't much space for Protect, an essential tool in Leech Seed stalling either. (Redundant with "also")

Checks and Counters
===================
**Taunt**: Pokemon such as the common Mienfoo carry Taunt, (AC) which shuts down Turtwig's chances of setting entry hazards or recovering and forces it to switch, (AC) as otherwise Mienfoo may carry coverage such as Acrobatics against it or use Knock Off to remove its bulk (probably better "bulk" --> "Eviolite" here to be 100% clear).

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby can take all of Turtwig's moves bar Superpower and can outspeed and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally, (AC) Flying-type setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby can use it as setup bait, (AC) as Turtwig can do utterly nothing to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ponyta and Larvesta can also outspeed Turtwig and use super effective STAB moves to KO it. Most also carry Will-O-Wisp, (AC) which can effectively cripple Turtwig and make it completely passive. It can (p sure that it should be "should", not "can", here) be noted that worn down Fire-types may fear Superpower, (AC) which can potentially 3HKO them at least.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Gastly and Croagunk are dangerous threats to Turtwig, (AC) as they can also resist all of Turtwig's moves and respond back with a super effective STAB move that can either KO it or cripple its longevity by poisoning it. Additionally, Turtwig can be used as setup bait by Croagunk. Foongus deserves a special mention as it is one of the most efficient checks to Turtwig, (AC) as it resists all of the latter's moves easily and can KO Turtwig if it doesn't switch out already,. (comma --> period) Foongus is also very common as well, (AC) which gives Turtwig a hard time in most battles.

**Ice-type Pokemon and coverage**: Ice-types such as Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew can outspeed and OHKO Turtwig with super effective STAB moves. However, Turtwig can OHKO these two with Superpower if it gets the chance to strike, such as if Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew switch into it, although they shouldn't because of this reason and because Bullet Seed can potentially 2HKO the former. Ice-type coverage is also threatening, (AC) since Water-types that Turtwig can usually switch into might carry Ice-type coverage moves that can deal heavy damage on the switch such as Ice Beam from Chinchou and Staryu.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <username2>]]

Implemented the above, thanks!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Turtwig brings an interesting niche to the table as it is the only pure Grass-type that can set Stealth Rock; this, (AC) coupled with other decent attributes such as a decent movepool, defensive stats, and typing, (AC) allows Turtwig to be an adequate entry hazard setter. Aside from a great recovery option in Synthesis, Turtwig has access to two other good moves in Bullet Seed for STAB damage against Pokemon such as Staryu and Drilbur, who which also happen to be common Rapid Spin users, and Superpower for coverage against Pokemon such as Magnemite and Pawniard. However, while it has a good matchup against most Rapid spinners, Turtwig falls short to other common metagame threats such as Ponyta and Vullaby. As a Grass-type entry hazard setter and a Stealth Rock setter, Turtwig is outclassed by Ferroseed, and as a Stealth Rock setter by Onix, respectively, due to their more useful abilities and better stats. Turtwig is also relatively passive due to its limited offensive options, moderate stats, and the drawbacks of Superpower. The biggest reason why Turtwig isn't used much is because there are better Stealth Rock setters such as the aforementioned Onix, while as a Water-type check, Grass-types such as Snivy are more reliable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Turtwig to set entry hazards to chip away at the opposition's longevity health, allowing Turtwig's teammates to take care of them with less difficulty. Synthesis allows Turtwig to recover its health, which then allows it switch in more comfortably and continue setting Stealth Rocks if they are it has been removed. Bullet Seed is Turtwig's strongest and most reliable STAB move, (AC) as it can be quite powerful depending on how many times it hits and thanks to LC's multi-hit mechanics is a more powerful choice than Seed Bomb. This also allows it to effectively combat Focus Sash users such as Diglett and SturdyJuice users such as Diglett and Onix, respectively. LC's multi-hit mechanics also make it a more powerful choice over Seed Bomb. Superpower is Turtwig's strongest coverage option against common Steel-types such as Pawniard and Magnemite that resist Turtwig's its other moves. Superpower can hit these two heavily on the switch; however, this leaves the stat drops leave Turtwig vulnerable to revenge killing or being forced out afterwards.

Set Details
========

Turtwig's 76 HP, 244 Def, and 76 SpD EV The given defensive investments in conjunction with the Eviolite and a Careful nature make Turtwig as bulky as possible, which allows it to switch into resisted hits more safely. 28 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed some of its targets such as defensive Tirtouga, while 52 Attack EVs allow it to have a higher chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnemite. Turtwig utilizes Overgrow instead of Shell Armor because gaining extra STAB damage at low health is a better option over protection against critical hits, which is rather unreliable. (if it's pointless feel free to axe)

Usage Tips
========

Turtwig should be used as a lead or sent out early into Pokemon it doesn't take a lot of damage from, such as Omanyte and Onix, to force them out so it can set up Stealth Rock. Additionally, if they don't switch then they will be KOed by Bullet Seed. This makes Turtwig a great switch-in to Onix. (implied / repeated) The earlier Turtwig can set Stealth Rock the better, (AC) because it may be easier to avoid threats during the early-game, which eases entry hazard setup. Turtwig can use its good bulk to switch into resisted Water- and Electric-type moves such as Staryu's Hydro Pump and Elekid's Thunderbolt from the likes of Staryu and Elekid, respectively; however, (AC) it needs to be careful of coverage such as Ice Beam from most variants of the aforementioned Staryu. Turtwig can also use the forced switch when switching into Pokemon it checks to recover with Synthesis if needed; (SC) although however, it should only do so if it is sure it can survive one more hit, as otherwise its low Speed stat can be taken advantage of. Turtwig should freely spam Bullet Seed on Pokemon it can defeat, although it should not do so with Superpower, as but it should only use it Superpower when it attempts to hit Steel-types on the switch to KO them because the subsequent lowering of its stats can create an opening for the opposition. Don't take advantage of Overgrow without thought, as instead of taking advantage of the extra damage provided, it Turtwig should prioritize recovering with Synthesis in case its Stealth Rocks are Rock is removed or its defensive typing is still needed; an opportunity where it can use Overgrow, however, is if it is confident that it can KO a Pokemon on the switch with Bullet Seed. The drawbacks of using Superpower leave Turtwig very passive, which means that it can easily become setup bait; therefore, Setup sweepers should be taken care of or have their plays predicted to ensure Turtwig is not taken advantage of after using Superpower. Turtwig should also be aware of Vullaby, especially its Weak Armor variants, as Turtwig's attacks are resisted and give it Speed boosts. Additionally, Vullaby can force out Turtwig rather easily and use Defog to remove its entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby are great teammates for Turtwig, as they can deal with Foongus, one of Turtwig's best checks, and other threats such as Croagunk and Mienfoo. In return, Turtwig can switch into threatening Electric-types and Onix. Sweepers such as Scraggy and Carvanha appreciate Turtwig's ability to set Stealth Rock, as this allows the sweepers them to KO the opposition with less difficulty. Poison-type checks such as Diglett and Mudbray can deal with the likes of Alolan Grimer and Gastly, (AC) which threaten Turtwig; in return, (AC) it can deal with Water-types that trouble Diglett and Mudbray. Pokemon such as Magnemite and Shell Smash Tirtouga make good partners, as they can both take care of Flying- and Ice-types with their respective STAB moves, (AC) while the former also provides Volt Switch support for Turtwig to switch in more comfortably. Fire-types such as Ponyta and Salandit pose a great problem to Turtwig; therefore, Pokemon such as Mareanie and Diglett make great partners. The former can help additionally by stacking Toxic Spikes, while the latter can also trap and KO other targets that trouble Turtwig. On the other hand, Fire-types are also good teammates, (AC) since they have great type synergy with Turtwig, appreciate it setting Stealth Rock, and can take out Foongus and other troublesome Grass-types. These Fire-types alongside Turtwig and Staryu also form a great core, as each of these Pokemon can take care of each other's checks thanks to their typing synergy, while Staryu can remove entry hazards as well, without removing Turtwig's own like Defoggers would.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic can be used to combat Pokemon that wall Turtwig such as Larvesta and defensive Vullaby (RC) and cripple generally any other Pokemon given the right situation; however, it is hard to fit without leaving Turtwig less able to fulfill its role effectively, as it would either replace Synthesis, a very reliable recovery method, or Superpower, Turtwig's only coverage move. Earth Power allows it Turtwig to deal super effective damage to its Fire- and Poison-type checks on the switch while also hitting Steel-types, although Turtwig's poor Special Attack lets it down and therefore makes Superpower the superior coverage move of choice. Leech Seed can be used, potentially in conjunction with Protect, to wear down and stall out opposing Pokemon to leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates, although, as a recovery option, Synthesis is much better. Also, there isn't much space for Protect, an essential tool in Leech Seed stalling.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Taunt**: Pokemon such as the common Mienfoo carry Taunt, which shuts down Turtwig's chances of setting entry hazards or recovering and forces it to switch, as Mienfoo may carry coverage such as Acrobatics or use Knock Off to remove its bulk Eviolite.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby can take all of Turtwig's moves bar Superpower and can outspeed it and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally, Flying-type setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby can use it Turtwig as setup bait, as Turtwig it can do nothing to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ponyta and Larvesta can also outspeed Turtwig and use super effective STAB moves to KO it. Most also carry Will-O-Wisp, which can effectively cripple Turtwig and make it completely passive. It should be noted that worn-down (AH) Fire-types may fear Superpower, which can potentially 3HKO them.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Gastly and Croagunk are dangerous threats to Turtwig, as they can also resist all of Turtwig's moves and respond back with a super effective STAB move that can either KO it or cripple its longevity by poisoning it. Additionally, Turtwig can be used as setup bait by Croagunk. Foongus deserves a special mention, (AC) as it is one of the most efficient checks to Turtwig, as it resists resisting all of the latter's its moves easily and can KO Turtwig KOing it if it doesn't switch out. Foongus is also very common as well, which gives Turtwig a hard time in most battles.

**Ice-type Pokemon and Coverage**: Ice-types such as Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew can outspeed Turtwig and OHKO Turtwig it with super effective STAB moves. However, Turtwig can OHKO these two with Superpower if it gets the chance to strike, such as if Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew switch into it, although they shouldn't because of this reason and because Bullet Seed can potentially 2HKO the former. (overly + not a realistic scenario as you are already saying) Ice-type coverage is also threatening, since Water-types that Turtwig can usually switch into might carry Ice-type coverage moves that can deal heavy damage on the switch such as Ice Beam from Chinchou and Staryu.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <username2>]]

frostration

i probably have a headache
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Turtwig brings an interesting niche to the table as the only pure Grass-type that can set Stealth Rock; this, coupled with other decent attributes such as a decent movepool, defensive stats, and typing, allows Turtwig to be an adequate entry hazard setter. Aside from a great recovery option in Synthesis, Turtwig has access to two other good moves in Bullet Seed for STAB damage against Pokemon such as Staryu and Drilbur, which also happen to be common Rapid Spin users, and Superpower for coverage against Pokemon such as Magnemite and Pawniard. However, while it has a good matchup against most spinners, Turtwig falls short to other common metagame threats such as Ponyta and Vullaby. Turtwig is outclassed by Ferroseed as a Grass-type entry hazard setter and by Onix as a Stealth Rock setter due to their more useful abilities and better stats. Turtwig is also relatively passive due to its limited offensive options, moderate stats, and the drawbacks of Superpower. The biggest reason why Turtwig isn't used much is because there are better Stealth Rock setters such as the aforementioned Onix, while as a Water-type check, Grass-types such as Snivy are more reliable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Turtwig to set entry hazards to chip away at the opposition's health, allowing Turtwig's teammates to take care of them with less difficulty. Synthesis allows Turtwig to switch in more comfortably and continue setting Stealth Rock if it has been removed. Bullet Seed is Turtwig's strongest and most reliable STAB move, as it can be quite powerful depending on how many times it hits and thanks to LC's multi-hit mechanics is a more powerful choice than Seed Bomb. This also allows it to effectively combat Focus Sash users such as Diglett and SturdyJuice users such as Onix. Superpower is Turtwig's strongest coverage option against common Steel-types such as Pawniard and Magnemite that resist its other moves. Superpower can hit these two heavily on the switch; however, the stat drops leave Turtwig vulnerable to revenge killing or being forced out afterwards.

Set Details
========

The given defensive investments in conjunction with the Eviolite and a Careful nature make Turtwig as bulky as possible, which allows it to switch into resisted hits more safely. 28 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed some of its targets such as defensive Tirtouga, while 52 Attack EVs allow it to have a higher chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnemite. Turtwig utilizes Overgrow instead of Shell Armor because gaining extra STAB damage at low health is a better option over protection against critical hits, which is rather unreliable.

Usage Tips
========

Turtwig should be used as a lead or sent out early-game into Pokemon it doesn't take a lot of damage from, such as Omanyte and Onix, to force them out so it can set up Stealth Rock. The earlier Turtwig can set Stealth Rock the better [RC] because it may be easier to avoid threats early-game, which eases entry hazard setup. Turtwig can use its good bulk to switch into resisted Water- and Electric-type moves such as Staryu's Hydro Pump and Elekid's Thunderbolt; however, it needs to be careful of coverage such as Ice Beam from most variants of the aforementioned Staryu. Turtwig can also use the forced switch when switching into Pokemon it checks to recover with Synthesis if needed; however, it should only do so if it is sure it can survive one more hit, as otherwise its low Speed stat can be taken advantage of. Turtwig should freely spam Bullet Seed on Pokemon it can defeat, but it should only use Superpower when it attempts to hit Steel-types on the switch to KO them because the subsequent lowering of its stats can create an opening for the opposition. Don't take advantage of Overgrow without thought, as instead of taking advantage of the extra damage provided, Turtwig should prioritize recovering with Synthesis in case its Stealth Rock is removed or its defensive typing is still needed; an opportunity where it can use Overgrow, however, is if it is confident that it can KO a Pokemon on the switch with Bullet Seed. Setup sweepers should be taken care of or have their plays predicted to ensure Turtwig is not taken advantage of after using Superpower. Turtwig should also be aware of Vullaby, especially its Weak Armor variants, as Turtwig's attacks are resisted and give it Speed boosts. Additionally, Vullaby can force out Turtwig rather easily and use Defog to remove its entry hazards.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby are great teammates for Turtwig, as they can deal with Foongus, one of Turtwig's best checks, and other threats such as Croagunk and Mienfoo. In return, Turtwig can switch into threatening Electric-types and Onix. Sweepers such as Scraggy and Carvanha appreciate Turtwig's ability to set Stealth Rock, as this allows them to KO the opposition with less difficulty. Poison-type checks such as Diglett and Mudbray can deal with the likes of Alolan Grimer and Gastly, which threaten Turtwig; in return, it can deal with Water-types that trouble Diglett and Mudbray. Pokemon such as Magnemite and Shell Smash Tirtouga make good partners, as they can both take care of Flying- and Ice-types with their respective STAB moves, while the former also provides Volt Switch support for Turtwig to switch in more comfortably. Fire-types such as Ponyta and Salandit pose a great problem to Turtwig; therefore, Pokemon such as Mareanie and Diglett make great partners. The former can help additionally by stacking Toxic Spikes, while the latter can also trap and KO other targets that trouble Turtwig. On the other hand, Fire-types are also good teammates, since they have great type synergy with Turtwig, appreciate it setting Stealth Rock, and can take out Foongus and other troublesome Grass-types. These Fire-types alongside Turtwig and Staryu also form a great core, as each of these Pokemon can take care of each other's checks thanks to their typing synergy, while Staryu can remove entry hazards as well [RC] without removing Turtwig's own like Defoggers would.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Toxic can be used to combat Pokemon that wall Turtwig such as Larvesta and defensive Vullaby and cripple generally any other Pokemon given the right situation; however, it is hard to fit without leaving Turtwig less able to fulfill its role effectively, as it would either replace Synthesis, a very reliable recovery method, or Superpower, Turtwig's only coverage move. Earth Power allows Turtwig to deal super effective damage to its Fire- and Poison-type checks on the switch while also hitting Steel-types, although Turtwig's poor Special Attack lets it down and therefore makes Superpower the superior coverage move. Leech Seed can be used, potentially in conjunction with Protect, to wear down and stall out opposing Pokemon to leave them vulnerable to Turtwig's teammates, although, as a recovery option, Synthesis is much better. Also, there isn't much space for Protect, an essential tool in Leech Seed stalling.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Taunt**: Pokemon such as the common Mienfoo carry Taunt, which shuts down Turtwig's chances of setting entry hazards or recovering and forces it to switch, as Mienfoo may carry coverage such as Acrobatics or use Knock Off to remove its Eviolite.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Doduo and Vullaby can take all of Turtwig's moves bar Superpower and can outspeed it and KO it with a powerful STAB Brave Bird. Additionally, Flying-type setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby can use Turtwig as setup bait, as it can do nothing to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Ponyta and Larvesta can outspeed Turtwig and use super effective STAB moves to KO it. Most also carry Will-O-Wisp, which can effectively cripple Turtwig and make it completely passive. It should be noted that worn-down Fire-types may fear Superpower, which can potentially 3HKO them.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Gastly and Croagunk are dangerous threats to Turtwig, as they can also resist all of Turtwig's moves and respond with a super effective STAB move that can either KO it or cripple its longevity by poisoning it. Additionally, Turtwig can be used as setup bait by Croagunk. Foongus deserves a special mention, as it is one of the most efficient checks to Turtwig, resisting all of its moves and KOing it if it doesn't switch out. Foongus is very common as well, which gives Turtwig a hard time in most battles.

**Ice-type Pokemon and Coverage**: Ice-types such as Amaura and Alolan Sandshrew can outspeed Turtwig and OHKO it with super effective STAB moves. However, Turtwig can OHKO these two with Superpower if it gets the chance to strike. Ice-type coverage is also threatening, since Water-types that Turtwig can usually switch into might carry Ice-type coverage moves that can deal heavy damage on the switch such as Ice Beam from Chinchou and Staryu.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)