/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 2nd - May 8th

Movies

#Buffy
Film:
How To Be A Player
Genre: Comedy
Description: A fun film about a man in his player lifestyle while his sister and her friend try to reform him to prove a hypothesis.

#Saburo
Film:
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, History, War
IMDb Synopsis: During the Napoleonic Wars of 1805, Captain "Lucky Jack" Aubrey of the Man-of-War HMS Surprise is under orders to sink or capture the formidable French privateer named Acheron around South America. After seven weeks of uneventful sailing, the Acheron strikes first, all but crippling the Surprise in an engagement in which Aubrey realizes his enemy's ship is nautically superior to his own. Aubrey must now do the impossible if he is to survive, repair his ship, catch up to his enemy and somehow defeat the Acheron.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Major League
Genre: Comedy, Sport
Description: A classic comedy featuring some big stars earlier in their careers (Charlie Sheen, Wesley Snipes, Rene Russo and more!), Major League and its sequel Major League II are still hilarious even to this day.

The recently widowed wife of the Cleveland Indians' owner has nothing but contempt for the team's home city and wishes to relocate to Miami. However, the only way to do so is to tank fan interest in the team over the course of a season in order to invoke the escape clause in the team's contract. To that end, she puts new officials in place to form an intentionally horrible team comprised of felons, bums, eccentrics and even a long-deceased former player.

If you're ever in the mood for an underappreciated comedy from yesteryear and you catch these films while perusing the back catalogue of your favourite streaming service, give them a watch!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Genre: Romantic Comedy (more romantic than comedy), Science Fiction (kind of)
IMDb Synopsis: When their relationship turns sour, a couple undergoes a medical procedure to have each other erased from their memories. Description: One of the most mindblowing romcoms I have ever seen. It is a bit dated but the structure set up in this movie is really well done and it has a super sweet message.

%noct
Film:
Moonstruck
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Description: A prime Nic Cage freak out in a very well written romantic comedy with music icon, Cher.

Television

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show: Control Z
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: When a hacker begins releasing students' secrets to the entire high school, the socially isolated but observant Sofía works to uncover his/her identity.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 9th - May 15th

Movies

#Buffy
Film:
Zero Dark Thirty
Genre: Historical Fiction, Suspense, Action
Description: Based on true events, Mia (Jessica Chastain) leads an effort to find a particular person in the Taliban, hoping that it will lead to Osama Bin Laden. Katherine Bigelow's direction in this gripping tale is phenomenal and Chastain's portrayal is spot on. There's also a good handful of other well known actors in this including James Gandolfini, Joel Edgerton, Mark Strong and Chris Pratt. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out!

#Saburo
Film:
Burning (2018)
Genre: Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Jong-su bumps into a girl who used to live in the same neighborhood, who asks him to look after her cat while she's on a trip to Africa. When back, she introduces Ben, a mysterious guy she met there, who confesses his secret hobby.

%noct
Film:
Raising Arizona
Genre: Crime, Black Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: When a childless couple of an ex-con and an ex-cop decide to help themselves to one of another family's quintuplets, their lives become more complicated than they anticipated.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Broad City
Description: Two young best friends, Ilana and Abbi (played by real world best friends Ilana and Abbi) navigate the many perks and misadventures to be had in New York City.

I just wrapped my first watchthrough this morning and I'm going to miss the zany goings-on that the stars have dreamed up and included within the show. The concept is very simple, but the charm comes from the chemistry and familiarity that the stars share on and off screen - there's no shortage of shocking and raunchy discoveries to be made for fans of crude humour. Icing on the cake: it features regular appearances by one of my favourite comedians, Hannibal Buress.

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show: New Amsterdam
Genre: Drama, Medicine
IMDb Synopsis: A new medical director breaks the rules to heal the system at America's oldest public hospital.

%RavioliQueen
Show:
The Wilds
Genre: Drama, Suspense
IMDb Synopsis: A group of teens must survive after a crash leaves them stranded. There's just one twist to this thrilling drama - these girls did not end up on this island by accident.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 16th - May 22nd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
A Serious Man (2009)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Larry Gopnik, a Midwestern physics teacher, watches his life unravel over multiple sudden incidents. Though seeking meaning and answers amidst his turmoils, he seems to keep sinking.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Drive
Genre: Crime, Drama
Description: A story about a reclusive, professional stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver but gets himself into trouble when he gets close to one of his apartment neighbours.

This a very slick neo-noir picture that is highlighted by a strong performance from Ryan Gosling and a soundtrack full of atmospheric synth tracks. Gosling's character speaks only seldomly, and when he does, it's often in soft, muted tones with lengthy pauses which creates a unique feel that is captivating without being overly-edgy. A high recommendation from me.

+Kiwiko
Film:
In This Corner of the World
Genre: Drama, Historical Fiction, War
IMDb Synopsis: Set in Hiroshima during World War II, an eighteen-year-old girl gets married and now has to prepare food for her family despite the rationing and lack of supplies. As she struggles with the daily loss of life's amenities she still has to maintain the will to live.

Television
@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show: iCarly
IMDB Synopsis: Carly hosts her own home-grown web show, iCarly, Carly and sidekick Sam's regular webcasts ultimately feature everything from comedy sketches and talent contests to interviews, recipes, and problem-solving.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 23rd - May 29th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Wind River (2017)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery,Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: During a winter season in the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming, expert tracker and Wildlife Service agent Cory Lambert discovers the frozen body of a young Native American woman. With the help of an inexperienced but courageous FBI officer and locals alike, the two try to uncover what seems to be a mysterious murder. Before long, Cory will inevitably have to face his own past and spares no time or resources trying to solve this mystery in hopes of it solving his internal struggle.

%noct
Film:
Raw
Genre: Horror, French
IMDb Synopsis: A young woman, studying to be a vet, develops a craving for human flesh.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Invincible
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
Description: OK, if you've kept tabs on this thread you know I've recommended this show once already and we're only on page 2, BUT... I didn't know enough to do it justice and now I have the benefit of having experienced the full first season!

This show is adapted from the comics by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead author) and it is the hottest release of 2021 in both TV and film in my humble opinion. It's a tale about the son of Earth's greatest superhero and picks up shortly before he develops his own powers. There is an incredible voice cast attached to a wide array of fun and complex characters and fans of other shows and movies will have a blast picking out voice actors/actresses in the early episodes while the world is established for them.

It is a struggle not to dive too deeply into plot specifics while trying to hype this series up, but I will praise the attention to detail (with subtle Easter eggs sprinkled throughout) and excellent pacing of the show which has very well-timed peaks and valleys that keep you on the edge of your seat and give you just enough time to breathe between major events. The finale is an especially wild ride and the origin of a popular meme template folks may have come across on social media with or without realizing it.

PLEASE, please, please do yourself a favour and give this series a chance if you have access to Prime Video and then join <<TVF>> to let us know what you thought! The Invincible Gang is the room's fastest growing fandom and some of us are planning to/have already purchased the comics to get the full experience and brace ourselves for season 2!

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
Dark
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDB Synopsis: A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 30th - June 5th

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
Upgrade (2018)
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Set in the near future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when the world of Grey, a self-labeled technophobe, is turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant.

%noct
Film:
Never Rarely Sometimes Always (2020)
Genre: Drama, Coming of Age
IMDb Synopsis: A pair of teenage girls in rural Pennsylvania travel to New York City to seek out medical help after an unintended pregnancy.

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
The Tick (2016)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
Description: It seems I've found my permanent niche in the "mature audiences Amazon Prime superhero" genre :]

The series follows the misadventures of timid accountant Arthur Everest after he crosses paths with the burly, blue, amnesic hero known as The Tick while trying to uncover the conspiracy behind the disappearance of a supervillain believed to be defeated years prior. The show is full of goofy characters and dialogue that bring life and levity to an otherwise ordinary story. I was skeptical about anyone else donning the suit after Patrick Warburton's portrayal in the last live-action version of the franchise 20 years ago (Jesus, 20 years...), but Peter Serafinowicz does a fine job delivering The Tick's offbeat exclamations and retorts.

Definitely recommend for anyone looking for something light and less formulaic than the recent blockbuster films we've been enjoying in recent years. Currently there's only 2 seasons with no news regarding a 3rd - perfect for anyone contemplating their next quick binge.

%Toxtricity-Amped
Show:
Superman & Lois
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Follow the world's most famous super hero and comic books' most famous journalist as they deal with all the stress, pressures, and complexities that come with being working parents in today's society.
@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
The Loud House
Genre: Animation, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Lincoln Loud is an eleven-year-old boy who lives with ten sisters. With the help of his right-hand man Clyde, Lincoln finds new ways to survive in such a large family every day.

+mdm 234
Show:
The Boys
Genre: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A group of vigilantes set out to take down corrupt superheroes who abuse their superpowers.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 6th - June 12th

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
Chappie (2015)
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: In the near future, crime is patrolled by an oppressive mechanized police force. But now, the people are fighting back. When one police droid, Chappie, is stolen and given new programming, he becomes the first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself. As powerful, destructive forces start to see Chappie as a danger to mankind and order, they will stop at nothing to maintain the status quo and ensure that Chappie is the last of his kind.

%noct
Film:
Possessor (2020)
Genre: Horror, Thriller, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Possessor follows an agent who works for a secretive organization that uses brain-implant technology to inhabit other people's bodies - ultimately driving them to commit assassinations for high-paying clients.

+skies
Film:
Assassination Nation (2018)
Genre: Comedy, Thriller
Description: Assassination Nation is a story about a town that goes insane – literally. A data leak occurs, exposing everybody in the town of Salem's secrets (notice the name?). Everyone's texts, photos, deepest, darkest secrets; everyone knows everyone's. Soon enough, the town turns violent, and people begin to cover their faces after the exposé. It's up to four high school seniors – Lily, Bex, Em, and Sarah – to fend for themselves despite the witch trials going on. Oh, and the movie features the song 100 Bad by Tommy Genesis, so it's an automatic 10/10 in my book!

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
Sweet Home
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror
Description: Sweet Home is set in an an apocalyptic world where humans are turning into monsters. The main cast are residents sharing the same shabby apartment complex when disaster strikes the world inside and out. They band together (in some cases reluctantly) to fortify their building from monsters outside while deciding how to survive on limited supplies and rations.

It's another fairly standard zombie-style apocalypse series, but the draw is that (at least at the time of this writing, after 9/10 episodes) the monsters in this show are all incredibly varied in terms of size, strength, abilities and designs. The CGI is a little crude in some places, but as it's an upstart Netflix series it could be forgiven if we receive a second season with a larger budget (perhaps as we saw with Stranger Things). The variety of designs makes each tense scene more interesting since you don't always know what you'll see dart around a corner or burst through a door next.

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
The Good Doctor
Genre: Medicine
IMDb Synopsis: Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, is recruited into the surgical unit of a prestigious hospital.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 13th - June 19th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Mr. Nobody (2009)
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: In the year 2092, 'Nemo Nobody' is recounting his life story to a reporter, but the stories he tells seem to run parallel to each other. How could he be in several places at the same time, living, as it were, multiple lives?

#Soft Flex
Film:
Kick-Ass
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Description: Kick-Ass follows the story of comic-loving and otherwise unordinary teenager Dave Lizewski and his sudden inspiration to become a real-life hero. After an altercation with some street thugs and a near fatal hit-and-run, Dave is "gifted" with the power of moderately reduced sensitivity to pain following the nerve damage he suffered. When a video of him saving a mugging victim goes viral, he attracts the attention of some colourful (and much more experienced) costumed vigilantes, and unfortunately, some of the city's more dangerous organized criminals.

Still love my mature comic/graphic novel adaptations, so I gotta shoutout one of the recent classics of this century. Kick-Ass and its sequel are both full of action, laughs and lovable characters and very rewatchable!

%noct
Film:
The Fly (1986)
Genre: Body Horror
IMDb Synopsis: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes horribly wrong.

+skies
Film:
Beautiful Boy (2018)
Genre: Biographical, Drama
Description: Beautiful Boy follows the story of David Sheff and his son, Nic Sheff, who struggles with addiction. Throughout the movie, the viewer follows along as David tries to help Nic through his highs, his lows, his relapses – anything to help his son. It's a very heartbreaking movie, but it's, in my opinion, Timothée Chalamet's best work so far, and it has an amazing soundtrack as well!

Television

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
Foot de rue
Genre: Sports
IMDb Synopsis: A group of kids join together with the whole world to make street futbol open. The rifflers or blues become the host of the street soccer world cup. Tag, Brains, Eloise, and the Tekno Twins.

%mdm 234
Show:
Hell's Kitchen
Genre: Reality, Cooking, Game Show
IMDb Synopsis: World renowned chef Gordon Ramsay puts aspiring young chefs through rigorous cooking challenges and dinner services at his restaurant in Hollywood, "Hell's Kitchen".

+pluralist
Show:
Dark
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.

I recommend having a note pad when you watch this show because there are a lot of characters. And there are many versions of characters too.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 20th - June 26th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Anomalisa (2015)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Stop Motion Animation
IMDb Synopsis: A middle-aged man, Michael Stone, is in Cincinnati to give a presentation at a conference. He is a customer service guru and has written a big-selling book on the subject. While in town he looks up an old flame he left 10 years previously. Though he is married with a child, he seems very discontented, depressed and empty, and is looking for some way to fill the void. Then he meets Lisa.

%noct
Film:
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)
Genre: Comedy, Action, Coming-of-Age
IMDb Synopsis: In a magically realistic version of Toronto, a young man must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes one by one in order to win her heart.

+skies
Film:
Hot Summer Nights (2018)
Genre: Coming-of-Age, Thriller
Description: After his father passes away, Daniel moves to Cape Cod where he meets the king of the town – Hunter. Shortly after he meets Hunter's sister, McKayla. The rest is a roller coaster as Daniel plunges deeper into crime while struggling to keep his relationship with McKayla hidden from his business partner, Hunter.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Community
Description: Seven lovable misfits become unlikely friends at a local community college and find themselves in various shenanigans in this top-tier sitcom chock full of meta humour and masterful writing that you'll need multiple rewatches to absorb entirely. This is probably my favourite sitcom of all time behind 30 Rock as Dan Harmon leads a masterclass in script work (the gas leak year notwithstanding - you'll understand when you get there).

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
The 100
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Set ninety-seven years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization, when a spaceship housing humanity's lone survivors sends one hundred juvenile delinquents back to Earth, in hopes of possibly re-populating the planet.

Last edited:

Pyro

Guess who just crawled out the mud, the mire
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
elchunko

Movie:

Film:
Hacksaw Ridge
Genre: War
Description: This is a true story, following a US army medic who served during the Battle of Okinawa. The medic is a pacifist who refuses to bear arms, or hurt the enemy in any way.

Television:

Show:
Sweet Tooth
Description: On a perilous adventure in a post-apocalyptic world, a boy who's half-human and half deer searches for a new beginning with a gruff protector.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of June 27th - July 3rd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The One I Love (2014)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A troubled couple vacate to a beautiful getaway, but bizarre circumstances further complicate their situation.

%noct
Film:
Paris, Texas (1984)
Genre: Drama, Road Film
IMDb Synopsis: Travis Henderson, an aimless drifter who has been missing for four years, wanders out of the desert and must reconnect with society, himself, his life, and his family.

%skies
Film:
Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo
Genre: animated, action, mystery
Description: The Teen Titans set off to Tokyo after a villain attacks their city only to find out something shoddy's going on in Tokyo. They go to Tokyo to figure out a mystery of the city.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Woman in Gold (2015)
Genre: Biographical, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Maria Altmann, an octogenarian Jewish refugee, takes on the Austrian government to recover artwork she believes rightfully belongs to her family.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
The Sinner
Description: The Sinner is a crime anthology series starring Bill Pullman as a detective (and the only recurring main character between seasons from what I understand) who goes the extra mile to uncover every possible truth within each seemingly open-and-shut case.

At the time of this writing, I've only seen the first season (which co-stars Jessica Biel, who was amazing in her role) but it was excellent. The writing is solid, and it takes a different approach to a lot of crime dramas in that the "truth" seems clear cut from the get-go. Jessica Biel's character plays the accused criminal, whose crimes are plain for the viewer in episode 1, yet Bill Pullman's character has a gut feeling there's more to her motives than what witnesses describe for him on the surface. I would further describe why I believe it's uniqueness ought to be praised, but the way to do so would border on spoilers so I'll trust anyone interested to check it out on their own.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Veep
Genre: Political, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Former Senator Selina Meyer finds that being Vice President of the United States is nothing like she hoped and everything that everyone ever warned her about.

%mdm 234
Show:
Over the Garden Wall
Genre: Animation, Mystery, Adventure, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Two brothers find themselves lost in a mysterious land and try to find their way home.

+pluralist
Show:
Mindhunter (2017-2019)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Set in the late 1970s, two FBI agents are tasked with interviewing serial killers to solve open cases.

I will say it starts a little weird, but the show gets much much better over time.

Pyro

elchunko

Movie:

Film:
The Imitation Game
Genre: Historical drama
Description: This is based on a true story, following the life of a British mathematician, Alan Turing, who helped work towards deciphering the German enigma code.

Television:

Show:
The Queen's Gambit
Description: The Queen's Gambit follows the life of a chess prodigy, Elizabeth Harmon, as she struggles with addiction and emotional struggles.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 4th - July 10

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Fugitive (1993)
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Dr. Richard Kimble, unjustly accused of murdering his wife, must find the real killer while being the target of a nationwide manhunt led by a seasoned U.S. Marshal.

#Soft Flex
Film: Inglourious Basterds
Genre: Adventure, Drama, War
Description: Inglourious Basterds takes place in an alternate reality set during World War II, in which multiple assassination and revenge plots converge against the Nazis during their occupation of France. It has all the familiar tropes that fans of Tarantino have come to expect and is full of great dialogue, action, humour and most of all, acting.

This film is among my top 5 favourite films of all time, specifically for the acting and cinematography. It often goes overlooked due to the over-the-top violence and silly one-liners, but beneath that is some of the best acting I've seen in a mainstream Hollywood release on the big screen. The opening scene is also one of the greatest film starters I've ever seen due to its simple plot, which builds tension in an amazing way, despite it mostly being a civil, sit-down conversation between two individuals in a small room.

If you've never seen it before, I urge you to check it out, and if you've only seen it once, PLEASE rewatch it again and give all your attention to the on-screen talent during heavy dialogue scenes!

+pluralist
Film:
Goodfellas (1990)
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The story of Henry Hill and his life in the mob, covering his relationship with his wife Karen Hill and his mob partners Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito in the Italian-American crime syndicate.

Television

@iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
Phineas and Ferb
Genre: Animation, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Phineas and Ferb invent, scheme, and stay one step ahead of their bratty sister. Meanwhile, their pet platypus plots against evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

%skies
Show:
American Horror Story (Murder House)
Genre: Horror
Description: The first season of American Horror Story revolves around Ben and Vivien Harmon, who move across the country to try and rekindle their marriage, and their struggling teenage daughter, Violet. They end up moving into what is known as the Murder House – a house with a grim past, present, and future, and a variety of horrors of course.

Pyro

elchunko

Movie:

Film:
Girl on the Train
Genre: Thriller
Description: This movie follows a troubled divorcee who catches daily glimpses of a ''perfect couple,'' Scott and Megan, from the window of her train. She witnesses a shocking event while looking into their home, and gets wrapped up in the investigation when Megan goes missing.

Television:

Show:
The Great British Bake Off
Genre: Cooking competition
Description: This is British TV in its purest form, 12 of the best amateur bakers from across the country compete in three different rounds to determine who the country's best baker is!

Last edited:

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Movie:

Film: Legally Blonde
Description: Film following sorority girl Elle Woods as she joins Harvard Law in an effort to win back her ex-boyfriend, who dumped her because she wasn't fancy enough.

Television:

Show: New Girl
Description: Jessica Day, a bubbly teacher finds her boyfriend is cheating on her, and ends up moving in with a group of 3 guys. Wacky hijinks ensue.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 11th - July 17th

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
The Hunt (2020)
Genre: Action, Horror, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt.

%skies
Film:
Ma
Description: A lonely, middle-aged woman who only responds to Ma befriends a group of teenagers, letting them use her basement as a place to party. However, she has secrets upstairs, and her desire to be accepted turns into obsession.

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
Barry
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Description: Bill Hader stars as the titular Barry, a former soldier-turned-hitman who inadvertently discovers stage acting and the performing arts while on an assignment (hit). I just binged the first 2 seasons this past week and it is one of the most unique shows I've had the pleasure of watching. While primarily a comedy, it doesn't feel the need to pull its punches when transitioning into a serious action or dialogue sequence for the sake of delivering something familiar to its audience. It does what it wants, when it wants, and viewers should be ready for a bit of emotional whiplash from time to time!

Pyro

elchunko

Movie:

Film:
Operation Finale
Genre: War
Description: Based on real events, this film tells the story of a group of Israeli spies and their attempt to capture a German war criminal.

Television:

Show:
Our Planet
Genre: Documentary
Description: David Attenborough at his wonderful best, talking us through a diverse range of environments and wildlife.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
CynicCyndaquil

Movie:

Film: Chef
Description: Chef Carl Casper is fired from his job after an outburst at a rude food critic, he then flies to Miami and purchases a food truck, which he drives across the country accompanied by his son.

TV:

Show: Ragnarok
Genre: Action/Drama
Description: Norwegian show about Norse Mythology about a boy in a rural Norwegian town who inherits the power of Thor.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 18th - July 24th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Swallow (2019)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Hunter, a newly pregnant housewife, finds herself increasingly compelled to consume dangerous objects. As her husband and his family tighten their control over her life, she must confront the dark secret behind her new obsession.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Gunpowder Milkshake
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Description: This movie follows the story of Sam, an assassin following in her lost mother's footsteps in the same organization she worked for when she disappeared. An assignment goes awry when Sam's trademark habit of doing more than the job entailed gets her roped into protecting a little girl and going on the run from her employers.

Gunpowder Milkshake is spearheaded by a female cast of badasses including Karen Gillan (Sam), Lena Headey, Carla Gugino, Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett (among others). The action is good, but more importantly, creative - several factors, which I won't spoil, force the players tied up in the plot to fight in unusual places with unusual items and sometimes with very unusual handicaps. On top of that, the entire movie is framed with beautiful neon/pastel lighting and picturesque wide shots - you can pause virtually anywhere in the film and find yourself looking at a great poster or desktop background inspiration.

Absolutely check out this new hit if you haven't yet (it just dropped on Netflix last week)!

%noct
Film:
The Ritual (2017)
IMDb Synopsis: A group of old college friends reunite for a trip to a forest in Sweden, Northern Europe, but encounter a menacing presence there stalking them.

%skies
Film:
Gone Girl
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Description: After the sudden disappearance of his wife, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) struggles to understand what happened. Meanwhile, he comes under the public eye as the prime suspect of the disappearance. The movie follows the journey to find Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike), whether to prove Nick's innocence, to prove she's alive, or to prove Nick is guilty; the entire goal of the movie is simple – find the gone girl.

Television
#Buffy
Show:
Gossip Girl (The OG)
Genre: Drama, Romance
Description: Okay so sometimes this show is cheesy, but the twists and turns and interconnections between the different characters is some of the best of any show I've seen and it's honestly so infinitely entertaining.

@ Toxtricity-Amped
Show:
The Last Dance
Genre: Documentary, Biography, History
IMDb Synopsis: Charting the rise of the 1990's Chicago Bulls, led by Michael Jordan, one of the most notable dynasties in sports history.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Better Call Saul
Genre: Law, Crime, Character Story
Description: A prequel to Breaking Bad, focusing on the origins of the lawyer Saul Goodman and how he became the lawyer he was in the original series.

Pyro

elchunko

Movie:

Film:
The Dig
Description: Based on a 2007 novel of the same name, this excellent period drama tells the story of a wealthy landowner hiring an archaeologist to investigate some curious land formations on her property.

Television:

Show:
Still Game
Genre: Sitcom
Description: This is a long-running Scottish comedy, following two elderly gentleman and their shenanigans through later life.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Film

Movie: Demon Slayer: Mugen Train
Genre: Anime
Description: Set following the end of he first season of Demon Slayer, the film follows Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke as they are accompanied on a quest by Rengoku to investigate disturbances on a train.

TV

Show: Castlevania
Genre: Animated Fantasy
Description: A Netflix animated show based on the video game series of the same name, the show follows Trevor Belmont and Sypha Belnades as they work against various vampiric foes.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of July 25th - July 31st

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Meloncholia (2011)
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with Earth.

@ Toxtricity-Amped
Film:
Space Jam
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: In a desperate attempt to win a basketball match and earn their freedom, the Looney Tunes seek the aid of retired basketball champion, Michael Jordan.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
Crazy Rich Asians
Genre: Romantic Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: This contemporary romantic comedy, based on a global bestseller, follows native New Yorker Rachel Chu to Singapore to meet her boyfriend's family.

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson
Description: This sketch comedy show features a hilarious mishmash of silly, absurdist, dark and slapstick comedy that will catch you off guard over and over again. Several of the sketches were revealed by writer/star Tim Robinson to be rejected skits from his time as a writer on Saturday Night Live, and thanks in part to producers The Lonely Island, many of these concepts have been saved from being lost to time!

Episodes are fairly short, so they can be binged easily. Also, although there is minor continuity among episodes throughout a season, they can generally be watched in any order.

@ Toxtricity-Amped
Show:
Loki
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: The mercurial villain Loki resumes his role as the God of Mischief in a new series that takes place after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.”

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Movies:

Film: The Pelican Brief
Genre: Legal Thriller
Description: Based on a John Grisham novel, follows a law student who comes into danger following a brief about the assassination of Supreme Court justices.

TV

Show: Burn Notice
Genre: Action/Spy
Description: Follows Michael Weston, a burned spy who is investigating why he was burned and tries to get back into the good graces of the government he once worked for.

Film: Frailty
Genre: Crime/Thriller
Description: A mysterious man arrives at the offices of an FBI agent and recounts his childhood: how his religious fanatic father received visions telling him to destroy people who were in fact "demons."

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of August 1st to 7th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Enemy (2013)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A man seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.

@ Toxtricity-Amped
Film:
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A meek Hobbit from the Shire and eight companions set out on a journey to destroy the powerful One Ring and save Middle-earth from the Dark Lord Sauron.

%noct
Film:
Wrong Turn (2003)
IMDb Synopsis: Chris and a group of five friends are left stranded deep in the middle of the woods after their cars collide. As they venture deeper into the woods, they face an uncertain and bloodcurdling fate.

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
The Sopranos
Genre: Crime, Drama
Description: At long last I've made time to indulge in what many TV aficionados refer to as the greatest drama series of all time, and I must say, it's not entirely what I expected (more on that momentarily)!

The series follows New Jersey mob boss Tony Soprano, his family, a myriad of business associates/rivals and a therapist he begins seeing regularly at the onset of the series following a bout of stress-induced fainting. This drama, unlike many of the shows that make such a lasting impression, does not have a single, overarching storyline that looms in the back of our minds as events take place. Although there is continuity through the episodes, many events take place whose aftermaths are not explored further, and many episodes end abruptly. It's almost as if the creator treats entire seasons as one giant episode and cuts them off at the HBO-mandated limit for episode run-time, regardless of where the focus is in that particular scene.

The biggest strength of the series is the acting: James Gandolfini (R.I.P.) is captivating in every scene he's in, and while Tony Soprano is perhaps not the greatest role model for viewers outside of television, you can't help but root for and be drawn to him within the show. In fact, the entire supporting cast is incredible in their roles - not a single actor/actress feels out of place surrounded by their co-stars. Just have a snack handy if you do decide to watch; characters are eating something in every other scene and practically every dish features gourmet Italian cuisine that will quickly remind you how recently your last meal was!

%skies
Show:
Euphoria
Genre: Depressing, Teen Drama
Description: Rue lives in a small town. Everyone knows everyone. Rue struggles with addiction, and after an overdose she returns from rehab with zero intention to remain clean until the new girl in town, Jules, happens to pass her at a party. The story follows Rue's struggle to stay clean, along with several other girls and tackles serious issues that teenagers face yet often don't get spoken about due to negative stigmas surrounding them. Just bring a tissue if you decide to watch.

+Alore
Show:
Inside No. 9
Genre: Black Comedy, Anthology, Drama, Horror
IMDb Synopsis: Anthology series which mixes dark humor with genres like crime, horror or drama. The show invites viewers into some very different No.9s, where the ordinary and mundane rub shoulders with the extraordinary and macabre.

From the creators of The League of Gentlemen.

+pluralist
Show:
True Detective (season 3)
IMDb Synopsis: Seasonal anthology series in which police investigations unearth the personal and professional secrets of those involved, both within and outside the law.

This is the general synopsis of the show, but season three follows detectives Hayes and West as they solve the mystery of two missing children through multiple timelines.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Film:

Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
Description: Follows two prisoners as they bond and find redemption, one of whom is jailed for a crime he never committed.

TV

Show: Jeopardy
Genre: Quiz Show
Description: America's favorite answer and question show, watch 3 competitors compete to see who can win the most money through the Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)