TV & Films Recommendations

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Film: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Genre: Adventure
stolen synopsis: The intrepid explorer Indiana Jones sets out to rescue his father, a medievalist who has vanished while searching for the Holy Grail.

the only movie i watched this week so my de facto nomination, but the third indiana jones film was very captivating and is worth a watch

Movie: Zootopia
Genre: Animated Buddy Cop
IMDb Synopsis: In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a rookie bunny cop and a cynical con artist fox must work together to uncover a conspiracy.
Recent rewatch, still liked it quite a lot!

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 17th to October 23rd

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
The Wailing (2016)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Soon after a stranger arrives in a little village, a mysterious sickness starts spreading. A policeman, drawn into the incident, is forced to solve the mystery in order to save his daughter.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Guilty
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Description: This film is one of those single actor/actress talent showcases where the supporting cast, while good at what they do, are more just there to prop up the cornerstones of a cohesive plot as a backdrop to the main star. You'll be staring directly into Jake Gyllenhaal's dreamy eyes for 99% of this short Netflix feature while he portrays a reluctant 911 call dispatch officer. He ends up on the line with a woman who conveys through cryptic verbal cues that she's stuck in a vehicle with a man against her will. Jake does a fantastic job building and maintaining the tension as he scrambles to alert authorities in the field who can bring about a desirable conclusion to this woman's predicament.

+elchunko
Film:
Baby Driver (2017)
Genre: Action
IMDb Synopsis: After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Barry
Genre: Tragicomedy
IMDb Synopsis: A hit man from the Midwest moves to Los Angeles and gets caught up in the city's theatre arts scene.

+yackback
Show:
Westworld
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Description: "The world outside [of Westworld, the amusement park] is a world of plenty. A fat, soft teat people cling to their entire life. Every need taken care of, except one: purpose. Meaning." From the creators of Person of Interest and The Prestige and The Dark Knight and yeah. I feel like a lot of people have heard of this.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 24th to October 30th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Pulse (2001)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Two groups of people discover evidence that suggests spirits may be trying to invade the human world through the Internet.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Rundown
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
Description: The Rock stars in his second, feature-length leading role (after The Scorpion King) as "retrieval expert" Beck, an aspiring chef looking to make enough to fund his culinary pursuits before getting out of the bounty hunting racket for good. Unfortunately, he's roped in for one last assignment by his boss: tracking down his son in a small Brazilian town. Once he gets there, he's forced to deal with the tyrannical Hatcher (Christopher Walken) who runs the town with an iron fist. The film turns into a fun adventure romp through the jungle with plenty of action and comedy along the way!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
The Simpsons Movie
Genre: Comedy, Animated
IMDb Synopsis: After Homer pollutes the town's water supply, Springfield is encased in a gigantic dome by the EPA and the Simpsons are declared fugitives.

+pluralist
Film:
Dune (2021)
Genre: Sci-Fi, Drama, Action
IMDb Synopsis: Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy.

Television

%RavioliQueen
Show:
Alice In Borderland
Genre: Suspense, Thriller, Drama, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A group of bored delinquents are transported to a parallel wasteland as part of a survival game.

+elchunko
Show:
Taskmaster
Genre: Comedy, Game Show
IMDb Synopsis: Five comedians are set tasks challenging their creativity and wit. The tasks are supervised by Alex Horne but the Taskmaster, Greg Davies, always has the final word.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Code Lyoko
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: When a group of four boarding school students discover a supercomputer housed inside an abandoned factory, they find a virtual world called Lyoko and awaken a sentient multi-agent system virus that tries to take over the real world.

Movie: Nocturnal Animals
Genre: Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A wealthy art gallery owner is haunted by her ex-husband's novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a symbolic revenge tale.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 31st to November 6th

Movies

#Buffy
Film:
Young Frankenstein
Genre: Comedy
Description: An absolute classic. Gene Wilder is perfect in his portrayal of Dr. Frankenstein and the whole film is scattered with classic gems in terms of jokes.

#Saburo
Film:
Warm Bodies (2013)
Genre: Comedy, Horror, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: After a highly unusual zombie saves a still-living girl from an attack, the two form a relationship that sets in motion events that might transform the entire lifeless world.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Cloverfield
Genre: Action, Horror, Sci-Fi
Description: I love a good monster movie, and this one features a found-footage style production, a unique monster design and an excellent balance of barely-revealing shots that leave you uneasy and curious all throughout. The less you know going in, the better!

%Alore
Film:
Final Destination 5
Genre: Action, Horror, Thriller............ Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Death returns to claim the lucky survivors of a deadly bridge collapse in this fifth frightening installment in the series.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
The Mask (1994)
Genre: Superhero, Action, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Bank clerk Stanley Ipkiss is transformed into a manic superhero when he wears a mysterious mask.

%skies
Film:
Scary Movie
Genre: Comedy, Parody
Description: Iconic movie featuring the legendary Regina Hall as Brenda, one of the best roles cinema has ever seen.

+elchunko
Film:
The Addams Family (1991)
IMDb Synopsis: Con artists plan to fleece an eccentric family using an accomplice who claims to be their long-lost uncle.

+noct
Film:
Halloween (1978)
Genre: Horror, Slasher, Classic
IMDb Synopsis: Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again.

+pluralist
Film:
Halloweentown
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family
IMDb Synopsis: When a young girl living with her secret witch mother learns she too is a witch, she must help her witch grandmother save Halloweentown from evil forces.

+TheAura
Film:
Scooby-Doo
Genre: Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: After an acrimonious break up, the Mystery Inc. gang are individually brought to an island resort to investigate strange goings on.

+Zipzapadam
Film: Scary Godmother: Halloween Spooktakular
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Hannah-Marie's Halloween is off to a spooky start, with costumes and candy and scary stories from her cousin Jimmy. But when Jimmy and his friends frighten her to tears, can her Scary Godmother set things right?

Television

@ mdm 234
Show:
Over the Garden Wall
Genre: Animation, Mystery, Adventure, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Two brothers find themselves lost in a mysterious land and try to find their way home.

%RavioliQueen
Show:
Supernatural
Genre: take a guess Action, Horror, Drama, Fantasy, Supernatural, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as hunters, fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds, including monsters, demons and gods that roam the earth.

Movie: The Craft
Genre: Horror, Supernatural, Fantasy, Black Comedy
Stolen IMDb Synopsis: A newcomer to a Catholic prep high school falls in with a trio of outcast teenage girls who practice witchcraft, and they all soon conjure up various spells and curses against those who anger them.

super camp and i cant believe i haven't discovered this sooner. watching analysis videos about the movie poured fuel into the fire that is my love for this movie

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 7th to November 13th

Movies

+The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Dressmaker
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A glamorous woman returns to her small town in rural Australia. With her sewing machine and haute couture style, she transforms the women and exacts sweet revenge on those who did her wrong.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
ReBoot
Genre: Animation
Description: For this week's Rec I turn to one of my old favourites, ReBoot - one of the first ever fully-CGI animated television series. It follows the sprites within the computer system known as Mainframe, and (at least initially) primarily focuses on the Guardian Bob as he protects them from viruses and other threats from both within Mainframe and the various domains of cyberspace.

The show changes a good bit over time (mostly it gets a bit darker, though no less intriguing), but at least in its first season it's full of fun characters, quips, unique animation and good humour. It ended back in 2001 quite abruptly, leaving fans hoping against hope that someone will pick it up from where it left off, though admittedly that dream is all but dead 20 years later (the show's primary antagonist Megabyte is one of my favourite on-screen villains and was voiced by legendary voice actor Tony Jay, a top 2 favourite VA of mine, who has since passed away).

Despite the lack of closure on the story, the series is still well worth the watch in my opinion!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Succession
Genre: Drama, Business Politics
IMDb Synopsis: The Roy family is known for controlling the biggest media and entertainment company in the world. However, their world changes when their father steps down from the company.

+elchunko
Show:
Stath Lets Flats
IMDb Synopsis: Comedy following incompetent Greek-Cypriot lettings agent Stath who works for the family business Michael and Eagle.

Movie: The Farewell
IMDb Synopsis: A Chinese family discovers their grandmother has only a short while left to live and decide to keep her in the dark, scheduling a wedding to gather before she dies.

// i genuinely haven't cried because of a movie in a while

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 14th to November 20th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Where the Heart Is (2000)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A pregnant seventeen-year-old rebuilds her life after being abandoned by her boyfriend at a Walmart in Sequoyah, Oklahoma.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Equilibrium
Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
Description: In this film's dystopian future, war has been eliminated through the use and strict enforcement of an emotion-suppressing drug known as Prozium and the banishment of all art forms. Government agents tasked with enforcing the regular use of Prozium are known as 'Clerics', and our star John Preston (Christian Bale) is one of the system's best and brightest at upholding their values until he misses his own dose by accident one day and begins to feel again. Once he's had a taste, he wrestles with a conflicted conscience over what's right and wrong and whether he's been upholding the values that best serve the people he's sworn to protect for all these years.

This film came out 2-3 years after The Matrix and very clear influence can be felt in the movie's colours, wardrobe, acting and choreography. A very cool action/sci-fi film that did not get nearly the marketing push it ought to have received in my opinion (I hadn't even heard of it until a friend introduced me 5 or so years after it released).

%skies
Film:
Wish You (2021)
Genre: Korean, Romance
Description: A dude who works at a music label notices a cool singer on the street and gets him signed to the label, romance ensues; funny cute light hearted stuff.

+elchunko
Film:
The Harder They Fall
Genre: Western, Action
Description: Nat Love, an outlaw, discovers that an old enemy (from whom he just stole a lot of money) is being released from prison. He reunites his gang and pure chaos ensues.

+The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Judge
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Big-city lawyer Hank Palmer returns to his childhood home where his father, the town's judge, is suspected of murder. Hank sets out to discover the truth and, along the way, reconnects with his estranged family.

Television

+TheAura
Show:
Utopia (2013) [There's an American 2020 remake, please do not see that one]
IMDb Synopsis: After a group of people, who meet online, discover a bizarre graphic novel which seems to hold mysterious answers, they find themselves being tracked down by a merciless organization known merely as 'The Network'.

Last edited:
Film: Kill Bill: Volume 2
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: The Bride continues her quest of vengeance against her former boss and lover Bill, the reclusive bouncer Budd, and the treacherous, one-eyed Elle.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 21st to November 27th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Brick (2005)
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Us
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Description: A family of four's vacation is upended when a group of doppelgängers break into their beach home in the night and begin threatening them.

I finally got around to watching this film earlier this afternoon. I put it off after l missed my chance in theatres and heard through the grapevine that Jordan Peele's 2nd writing/directing outing wasn't as strong as his first (Get Out) but I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it more overall. It's not without its flaws, however - chief among them is probably that it explains unclear plot elements when it doesn't need to. In my opinion, the film did a bit too much at the end and a lot of the mystery/uneasiness it built up would have been better left unclear for the viewer, but I still enjoyed the concept and the acting (from Lupita Nyong'o in particular but the rest of the cast was great) was excellent.

%Alore
Film:
Brigsby Bear (2017)
IMDb Synopsis: After being freed from his life in an underground bunker, a man sets out to make a movie of the only TV show he has ever known.

%pluralist
Film:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
Genre: Family, Comedy, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: On the outskirts of Whoville lives a green, revenge-seeking Grinch who plans to ruin Christmas for all of the citizens of the town.

+elchunko
Film:
His House
Genre: Horror, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A refugee couple makes a harrowing escape from war-torn South Sudan, but then they struggle to adjust to their new life in an English town that has an evil lurking beneath the surface.

+The Benz Mafia
Film:
Pleasantville (1998)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Two 1990s teenage siblings find themselves in a 1950s sitcom, where their influence begins to profoundly change that complacent world.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
tick, tick... BOOM!
Genre: Musical, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: On the cusp of his 30th birthday, a promising young theater composer navigates love, friendship and the pressures of life as an artist in New York City.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Arcane
Genre: Animated, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Action
IMDb Synopsis: Set in utopian Piltover and the oppressed underground of Zaun, the story follows the origins of two iconic League champions-and the power that will tear them apart.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 28th to December 4th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Shoplifters (2018)
Genre: Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A family of small-time crooks take in a child they find outside in the cold.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Only the Brave
Genre: Action, Biography, Drama
Description: Only the Brave follows the story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, from their pre-certification push to become top qualified wildfire fighters to their assignments immediately following their success, to their involvement in a particular historic wildfire whose outcome I won't spoil for anyone who decides to give it a watch.

I stumbled upon this movie while working through Josh Brolin's back catalogue (one of my top few favourite actors) and as usual, he crushes it in this role. Because the script is biographical, the flow of the story changes abruptly at times but overall is a great watch, especially if you're like me and know nothing about the history of this group.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Quills (2000)
Genre: Biography, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: In a Napoleonic era insane asylum, an inmate, the irrepressible Marquis De Sade, fights a battle of wills against a tyrannically prudish doctor.

+elchunko
Film:
The Red Sea Diving Resort
Genre: Thriller
Wiki Synopsis: In the early 1980s, international agents and brave Ethiopians use a deserted retreat in Sudan as a front to smuggle thousands of refugees to Israel.

Television

+TheAura
Show:
The 100
IMDb Synopsis: Set ninety-seven years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization, when a spaceship housing humanity's lone survivors sends one hundred juvenile delinquents back to Earth, in hopes of possibly re-populating the planet.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Kid Cosmic
Genre: Family, Comedy, Action-Adventure, Superhero
IMDb Synopsis: A young boy who dreams of becoming a hero, stumbles across some cosmic stones of power. His dreams appear to have come true.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 5th to December 11th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
What Happened to Monday (2017)
Genre: Action, Crime, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: In a world where families are limited to one child due to overpopulation, a set of identical septuplets must avoid being put to a long sleep by the government and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Jumanji: The Next Level
Description: On the eve of a reunion of the friends from the previous installment, Spencer feels estranged from those he developed relationships with during their prior adventures and impulsively re-enters the Jumanji video game in a wild attempt to regain the confidence he developed there the first time, leaving his friends no choice but to chase after and rescue him.

Honestly, this film is about on par with the 2017 reboot but it has a couple nice additions in Danny Devito/Danny Glover playing estranged friends themselves, who inadvertently get sucked into the game and whose likenesses are then emulated by in-game avatars whose actors I won't spoil because that was the funnest part(s) of the film for me. If you need a fun adventure flick that's easy to watch when you're distracted or have other things on your mind, this will do the job!

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Sexy Beast (2000)
IMDb Synopsis: Brutal gangster Don Logan (Ben Kingsley) recruits "retired" safecracker Gal (Ray Winstone) for one last job, but it goes badly for both of them.

%skies
Film:
Giant Little Ones (2018)
Description: Two best friends get into a difficult situation and their lives, their own family lives, which are all intertwined, fall apart. Explores the hardships of friendships and unexpected feelings and just the weirdness of life honestly. Really interesting to watch, there was a lot to think about.

+elchunko
Film:
Baby Driver
Genre: Action, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

Television

+TheAura
Show:
The X-Files
Genre: Crime, Drama, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Two F.B.I. Agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained, while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
That 70's Show
Genre: Teen Sitcom, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A comedy revolving around a group of teenage friends, their mishaps, and their coming of age, set in 1970s Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 12th to December 18th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Klaus (2019)
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Family
IMDb Synopsis: A simple act of kindness always sparks another, even in a frozen, faraway place. When Smeerensburg's new postman, Jesper, befriends toymaker Klaus, their gifts melt an age-old feud and deliver a sleigh full of holiday traditions.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Power of the Dog
Genre: Drama, Romance, Western
Description: Phil Burbank (Benedict Cumberbatch) is an impressive and well-respected rancher but disinterested in associating with anyone outside of his family and ranch employees. When his brother George falls for and marries restaurant owner Rose and moves her and her son Peter onto their property, he disapproves and immediately sets out to gradually torture them emotionally. His tune changes after taking Peter under his wing, likely in an attempt to further torture Rose, and what occurs in the following weeks I'll leave for you to discover on your own!

Benedict delivers another solid performance as usual and the supporting cast all hold their own as well. It's always refreshing to see a western film that deviates from the gunslinger trope of mysterious gentlemen passing through town, solving their problems with a quick trigger finger and/or arsenal of cold stares (as enjoyable as those can be when you're in the right mood).

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Billy Elliot (2000)
Genre: Drama, Music
IMDb Synopsis: A talented young boy becomes torn between his unexpected love of ballet and the disintegration of his family.

+elchunko
Film:
The War Below
Genre: War, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: During World War I, a group of British miners are recruited to tunnel underneath no man's land and set bombs from below the German front in hopes of breaking the deadly stalemate of the Battle of Messines.

Television

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Comedy series following the exploits of Detective Jake Peralta and his diverse, lovable colleagues as they police the NYPD's 99th Precinct.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 19th to December 25th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Joshua (2007)
Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: The arrival of a newborn girl causes the gradual disintegration of the Cairn family; particularly for 9-year-old Joshua (Kogan), an eccentric boy whose proper upbringing and refined tastes both take a sinister turn.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Kodachrome
Description: This film follows a troubled son, his estranged and dying father and his father's nurse/attendant as they road trip to Parsons, Kansas to develop the last of his film rolls at the only Kodachrome lab left in the world in its last days.

Honestly, if you've seen movies, you probably know exactly how the movie ends, but it's worth coming along for the ride to see Ed Harris act the hell out of another movie and to see Elizabeth Olsen and Jason Sudeikis hold their own as well.

%pluralist
Film:
Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: With Spider-Man's identity now revealed, Peter asks Doctor Strange for help. When a spell goes wrong, dangerous foes from other worlds start to appear, forcing Peter to discover what it truly means to be Spider-Man.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Catch-22 (1970)
Genre: Comedy, War
IMDb Synopsis: A man is trying desperately to be certified insane during World War II, so he can stop flying missions.

+elchunko
Film:
The Good Liar (2019)
Genre: Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Consummate con man Roy Courtnay has set his sights on his latest mark: the recently widowed Betty McLeish, worth millions. But this time, what should have been a simple swindle escalates into a cat-and-mouse game with the ultimate stakes.

Television

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Kim's Convenience
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom, Canada
IMDb Synopsis: The misadventures of a Korean-Canadian family running a convenience store.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 26th to January 1st

Movies

%skies
Film:
Your Name Engraved Herein
Genre: Drama, History
Wiki Synopsis: Following the end of martial law in Taiwan in the 1980s, “Chang Jia-han (A-han) and Wang Bo Te (Birdy), fall in love amid family pressure, homophobia, and broader social change”.

Very emotional movie which is simultaneously very educational about the social climate of Taiwan during the ‘80s.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Genre: Action, Adventure, War
IMDb Synopsis: Allied agents stage a daring raid on a castle where the Nazis are holding American brigadier general George Carnaby prisoner, but that's not all that's really going on.

+elchunko
Film:
The Aeronauts
IMDb Synopsis: A balloon pilot and a scientist find themselves in a fight for survival while attempting to make discoveries in a gas balloon in the 1860s.

+TheAura
Film:
Don't Look Up
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Satire
IMDb Synopsis: Two low-level astronomers must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet Earth.

Biting satire about the indifference us humans have towards potentially disastrous things and the cast is star studded as ever with DiCaprio, Lawrence, Streep to name a few.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge
Genre: Adult Animated, Action, Martial Arts
IMDb Synopsis: Hanzo Hasashi loses his family during an attack by a rival clan the Lin Kuei. He is given the chance to compete in an inter-dimensional tournament to save his loved ones while other fighters try to save the Earth realm from annihilation.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
The Blacklist
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Description: Raymond Reddington, #1 on the FBI's most wanted list for several decades, surprises everyone when he voluntarily turns himself over to the bureau and offers his cooperation and assistance under the condition that he work alongside upstart agent Elizabeth Keen. What follows is a long partnership in which Red uses his underworld connections and resources to uproot fellow top wanted criminals on the FBI's blacklist, more often than not in an effort to eliminate his own competition.

I picked up this show on a whim in between jobs, binged several seasons and am now just a couple episodes short of catching up completely thanks to this pandemic. To be honest, the show can be a little cheesy at times - most episodes focus on the unveiling of a new individual criminal whose methods and motives are revealed slowly over the course of the runtime before being apprehended, killed or eluding capture to further the overarching season plots, which means some end up more than just a little eccentric compared to others on the show, but it does add a certain charm and allows for many cool guest appearances on both sides of the law. Certainly a show I could recommend to someone who likes crime dramas but would like a project they can pick up and put down at any time without feeling too lost when they come back for more!

%Alore
Show:
People Just Do Nothing
Genre: Comedy, Music
IMDb Synopsis: A mockumentary series about a group of failed MCs from West London and their passion for pirate radio.

Bondie
Show:
Toast of London
Genre: British Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Steven Toast, an eccentric middle-aged actor with a chequered past, spends more time dealing with his problems off stage than performing on stage.

Idk how to make it clear that it's a Matt Berry production but it's quite relevant.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of January 2nd to January 8th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Station Agent (2003)
IMDb Synopsis: When his only friend dies, a man born with dwarfism moves to rural New Jersey to live a life of solitude, only to meet a chatty hot dog vendor and a woman dealing with her own personal loss.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Tommy Boy
Genre: Adventure. Comedy
Description: After barely eking out a university degree, Tommy Callahan returns home to work for his dad's auto company. Upon his return he learns that his father has since gotten re-engaged and that his wedding is coming up very soon. However, during the wedding Tom Callahan Sr. suffers a fatal heart attack, and in the aftermath the company's future is put in jeopardy when the bank refuses promised funding for a new brake pad division.

Determined to save his dad's company, Tommy teams up with his reluctant, former assistant Richard, and the two set out to secure the funds with a cross-country road/sales trip.

The late Chris Farley brings his usual high energy physical comedy in what I consider to be his best film and David Spade, a real-life and longtime friend of his, makes the perfect road trip buddy to make for a hilarious watch.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Win Win (2011)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sport
IMDb Synopsis: A struggling lawyer and volunteer wrestling coach's chicanery comes back to haunt him when the teenage grandson of the client he has double-crossed comes into his life.

+elchunko
Film:
The Pianist (2002)
Genre: War, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A Polish Jewish musician struggles to survive the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto of World War II.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson
Genre: Sketch Comedy
Netflix Synopsis: There is no such thing as an ordinary interaction in this offbeat sketch comedy series that features a deep roster.

%TheAura
Show:
Broadchurch
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: The murder of a young boy in a small coastal town brings a media frenzy, which threatens to tear the community apart.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Nathan For You
Genre: Comedy, Documentary
IMDb Synopsis: Nathan Fielder uses his business degree and life experiences to help real small businesses turn a profit. But because of his unorthodox approach, Nathan's genuine efforts to do good often draw real people into an experience far beyond what they signed up for.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of January 9th to January 15th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Dark Shadows (2012)
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Horror
IMDb Synopsis: An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Ocean's Twelve
Genre: Crime, Thriller, Comedy
Description: After putting it off for just a couple of decades, I'm finally getting around to watching the Ocean's movies and am quite enjoying them! The second installment in the franchise brings back the heist team from the first movie and adds a couple new bodies to the mix to pull off their elaborate overseas capers. To keep things interesting, rather than just pull off one more heist in one more location, they must pull off multiple heists while competing against a world-renowned master thief who goes by the alias "the Night Fox", all in an effort to repay Terry Benedict who has caught up with them after the events of the first movie.

%TheAura
Film:
Idiocracy (2006)
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Private Joe Bauers, a decisively average American, is selected as a guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program but is forgotten, awakening to a future so incredibly moronic he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Burn After Reading (2008)
Genre: Comedy, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A disk containing mysterious information from a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous and daft gym employees who attempt to sell it.

+noct
Film:
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: An alien must pose as a human to save his dying planet, but a woman and greed of other men create complications.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Robocop (1987)
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: In a dystopic and crime-ridden Detroit, a terminally wounded cop returns to the force as a powerful cyborg haunted by submerged memories.

Television

+Bondie
Show:
Toast of Tinseltown
Genre: British Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Tortured thespian Steven Toast relocates to the ultimate actor's playground, Hollywood. Surely this time he will get the adulation he so richly deserves.

+elchunko
Show:
Clickbait
Genre: Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: When family man Nick Brewer is abducted in a crime with a sinister online twist, those closest to him race to uncover who is behind it and why.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Dexter
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: He's smart. He's lovable. He's Dexter Morgan, America's favorite serial killer, who spends his days solving crimes and nights committing them.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of January 16th to January 22nd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Number 23
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Walter Sparrow becomes obsessed with a novel that he believes was written about him, as more and more similarities between himself and his literary alter ego seem to arise.

#Soft Flex
Film: Sicario
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Description: Sicario follows a dedicated FBI agent as she's recruited by a government task force to combat the war on drugs between the U.S. and Mexico at the border.

This is one of my favourite films, backed by a cast and crew that includes 2 of my top 5 favourite actors and my 2nd favourite director (3rd if you count the Coens as 1st and 2nd, which I don't!). It excels at building tension and builds up great characters, often with minimal dialogue. Just an excellent watch overall.

%McTowelie
Film:
Boiling Point (2021)
Genre: Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Enter the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen as a head chef wrangles his team on the busiest day of the year. (Shot entirely in one take)

%TheAura
Film:
The Mitchells vs the Machines
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A quirky, dysfunctional family's road trip is upended when they find themselves in the middle of the robot apocalypse and suddenly become humanity's unlikeliest last hope.

+Chunko
Film:
The Upside (2017)
IMDb Synopsis: A comedic look at the relationship between a wealthy man with quadriplegia and an unemployed man with a criminal record who's hired to help him.

Television

@Buffy
Show:
Smallville
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Description: The iconic show that really started live action superhero shows well before the new era of around the past 10 years. The writing, casting and music are all absolutely spot on and this is an absolute classic and must watch for any superhero fan.

@ mdm 234
Show:
Cobra Kai
Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Decades after their 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament bout, a middle-aged Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence find themselves martial-arts rivals again.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Space Force
Genre: Sitcom
Netflix Synopsis: A four-star general begrudgingly teams up with an eccentric scientist to get the U.S. military's newest agency — Space Force — ready for lift-off.

%pluralist
Show:
Peacemaker (2022)
IMDb Synopsis: The origin of the DC superhero so dedicated to world peace that he is prepared to use force of arms to achieve it.

(Viewer discretion is advised)

%skies
Show:
Be Loved in House: I Do
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy
MDL Synopsis: Founded about 10 years ago, Seisei Studio is in danger of going bankrupt before Jin Yu Zhen, a person who excels in management, appears and he becomes the new director. On the first day of his directorship, the atmosphere of the studio changed completely when he enforces a single rule which prohibits romantic relationships and marriages between employees, and the violation of the rule resulted in a dismissal. To abolish the rule, the employees of Seisei Studio collude with a secret plan.

%The Benz Mafia
Show:
Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (1969)
Genre: Animation, Mystery, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A group of teenage friends and their Great Dane (Scooby-Doo) travel in a bright green van solving strange and hilarious mysteries, while returning from or going to a regular teenage function.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Malcolm in the Middle
Genre: Sitcom, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A gifted young teen tries to survive life with his dimwitted, dysfunctional family.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of January 23rd to January 29th

Movies

#Buffy
Film:
The Matrix Resurrections
Genre: Sci-Fi, Action
Description: This 2021 revival of the series is absolutely beautifully done. It takes the unique concept presented in the original and uses its own uniqueness to self-reflect itself to even further dimensions. Severely underrated by most, this is an absolute must watch for anyone who really appreciates depth and the power of a film being so self aware and can push the absolute limits of 4th wall breaking.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Hidden Fortress (1958)
Genre: Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: Akira Kurosawa made this commercial and accessible film as a way to repay Toho Studios for allowing him to make riskier, more artistic fare such as Rashomon (1950). It was later one of the greatest inspirations for George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977), which originally started out as a sci-fi themed remake of this film set in the distant future. However Star Wars went through so many drafts and rewrites that the final version of the film bares almost no resemblance to The Hidden Fortress.

+chunko
Film:
Dunkirk (2017)
Genre: War, Drama, Action
IMDb Synopsis: Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Commonwealth and Empire, and France are surrounded by the German Army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Whiplash
Genre: Psychological Drama, Music
IMDb Synopsis: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Ozark
Description: In a panic move to appease an angry drug lord who finds his partner guilty of skimming money from the cartel, financial advisor Marty Byrde is forced to move to the Ozarks to set up new money laundering operations to keep him and his family safe.

This series is excellent at building tension and is filled with plenty of unpredictable characters who keep the plot turning, forcing Marty into further dire straits as he fights a war on multiple fronts. The show just dropped the first half of its final season this past weekend and episode 1 (all I've seen at the time of this writing) has set up several interesting plot threads!

Last edited:

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
show: Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
genre: animated, comedy
desc: Dreamworks show animated by Mir, follows a young girl on the surface of a dystopian future earth where animals have mutated to become gigantic. Reminds me a lot of She-ra

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of January 30th to February 5th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Art of Self-Defense (2019)
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: After being attacked on the street, a young man enlists at a local dojo, led by a charismatic and mysterious sensei, in an effort to learn how to defend himself from future threats.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Fracture
Description: A lawyer moving up to the big leagues finds himself in a precarious situation where, against the advice of his friends and coworkers, he risks his new promotion to pursue a lawsuit against an eccentric man he is certain is responsible for murdering his wife.

How this film flew under my radar in 2007 is beyond me, but Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins are both excellent in this psychological crime thriller I watched just last week. A great watch for fans of the genre.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Genre: Dramedy
IMDb Synopsis: High schooler Greg, who spends most of his time making parodies of classic movies with his co-worker Earl, finds his outlook forever altered after befriending a classmate who has just been diagnosed with cancer.

%skies
Film:
1BR (2019)
Genre: Horror
Letterboxd Synopsis: When Sarah lucks into a sweet one-bedroom at Asilo Del Mar Apartments in Los Angeles, she think she’s hit the jackpot. It’s got plenty of space, friendly tenants, group BBQs and even a cute neighbour next door. All is not what it seems: loud noises start keeping her awake at night; her cat is missing; everyone seems to be a little too helpful and friendly, except for the weirdo, Lester. Soon, Sarah learns she didn’t choose this apartment — it chose her.

%The Benz Mafia
Film:
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
IMDb Synopsis: A delusional young man strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet.

Television

#Buffy
Show:
The Librarians
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure
Description: Just started watching this very recently, but it has a cool, almost Legends of Tomorrow type of vibe. Definitely an interesting watch to pass time.

+Chunko
Show:
Good Omens
IMDb Synopsis: A tale of the bungling of Armageddon features an angel, a demon, an eleven-year-old Antichrist, and a doom-saying witch.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Freaks and Geeks
IMDb Synopsis: A high school mathlete starts hanging out with a group of burnouts while her younger brother navigates his freshman year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)