/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 27th to April 2nd

Movies

@ Towelie
Film:
Land of the Lost (2009)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A space-time vortex sucks scientist Rick Marshall, his assistant Holly and a survivalist Will into a world populated by dinosaurs and painfully slow creatures called Sleestaks.

%czim
Film:
No Exit (2022)
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Drama
Description: A young woman breaks out of rehab and hot wires a car so she can visit her sick mother, and gets stuck with a group of people at a mountain rest stop during a blizzard. Things take a turn for the worse when the young woman discovers a kidnapped child in a car belonging to one of the people inside, putting the group in a terrifying life-or-death situation as they struggle to escape while trying to discover who among them is the kidnapper.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
West Side Story (2021)
Genre: Musical, Romance, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: An adaptation of the 1957 musical, West Side Story explores forbidden love and the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
X-Men: The Animated Series
Genre: Animation, Action, Family
Description: This week I gotta bump one of my top 3 cartoons of all time with X-Men: TAS! In my opinion at least, this show still holds up on all fronts with its well-balanced action, comedy and story, not to mention the iconic theme song. So much so, in fact, that Disney/Marvel announced "X-Men '97" last year as a full series reboot set to debut sometime in 2023! I haven't been this hyped about an animated series since last century and this is a great time for folks to catch up on it in advance of the continuation!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Alternatino
Genre: Sketch Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A sketch show based on Arturo's experiences as a Latino millennial in the United States.

Lucy the Valiant

Banned deucer.
Series: The Walking Dead
Genre: Horror
Synopsis: The series centers on sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes, who wakes up from a coma. While in a coma, the world has been taken over by the undead. He becomes the leader of a group of survivors from Atlanta as they attempt to sustain and protect themselves not only against attacks by the dead but by other groups of survivors willing to use any means necessary to stay alive.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 3rd to April 9th

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
Take Shelter (2011)
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself.

#Soft Flex
Film:
John Wick
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Description: Mandatory.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Belfast (2021)
Genre: Drama, History
IMDb Synopsis: A young boy and his working-class Belfast family experience the tumultuous late 1960s.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
CODA (2021)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Music, Coming-of-Age
IMDb Synopsis: As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her passion at Berklee College of Music and her fear of abandoning her parents.

Television

%czim
Show:
Kidding (2018-2020)
Genre: Drama, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: Jeff, aka Mr. Pickles (Jim Carrey), is an icon of children's television, a beacon of kindness and wisdom to America's impressionable young minds and the parents who grew up with him - who also anchors a multimillion-dollar branding empire. But when this beloved personality's family - wife, two sons, sister and father - begins to implode, Jeff finds no fairy tale or fable or puppet will guide him through the crisis, which advances faster than his means to cope. The result: a kind man in a cruel world faces a slow leak of sanity as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 10th to April 16th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Brigsy Bear (2017)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: After being freed from his life in an underground bunker, a man sets out to make a movie of the only TV show he has ever known.

+yackback
Film:
Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
Genre: Science Fiction, Black Comedy
Description: I don't really want to say much about this movie. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out to get people to watch without actually saying anything about the plot. I think I will go with the following: apt title, maybe a bit of an understatement. 4/5.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Chernobyl
Genre: Drama, History, Thriller
Description: An informative, albeit heavy, retelling of the events of the April 1986 nuclear disaster. This series is short (5 episodes) but extremely powerful and worth watching for anyone into historical dramas. While the events (to my knowledge) remain accurate, a few characters have been altered to facilitate the portrayal of the narrative - these instances are explained at the end in an effort by the producers to remain transparent. A very worthwhile watch.

@ The Benz Mafia
Show:
Match Game (1973-1982)
Genre: Comedy, Game Show
IMDb Synopsis: 6 guest stars (which change from week to week) are given a humorous phrase with one word missing. The stars write down a word they think would be most appropriate for the missing word, and then two contestants try to guess what the stars have chosen. A point is given for each correct match, and the one with the most points wins.

+Bondie
Show:
Book of Boba Fett
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: Bounty hunter Boba Fett and mercenary Fennec Shand navigate the underworld when they return to Tatooine to claim Jabba the Hutt's old turf.

+DianaNicole
Show:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: In the vicinity of the liberated planet of Bajor, the Federation space station Deep Space Nine guards the opening of a stable wormhole to the far side of the galaxy.

For a show that takes place on a space station you come to know a variety of species and cultures and encounter iconic characters within the Star Trek Universe. While not as known as the other series this show brings familiar and new faces to a series different from the Star Trek content. Also features Klingons who value trans rights which just speaks to me.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Better Call Saul
Genre: Legal, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The trials and tribulations of criminal lawyer, Jimmy McGill, in the time before he established his strip-mall law office in Albuquerque, New Mexico as Saul Goodman. Prequel to Breaking Bad.

skies
Show:
Light On Me
Genre: Drama, Romance
Description: An introverted student — Taekyung — joins the school’s student council and a love pentagon ensues.

Last edited:

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Film: Tick Tick Boom
Genre: Comedy, drama
google syno: Based on the autobiographical musical by playwright Jonathan Larson. It's the story of an aspiring composer in New York City who is worried he made the wrong career choice, whilst navigating the pressures of love and friendship.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 17th to April 23rd

Movies
#Saburo
Film:
The Prince of Egypt (1988)
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Drama, Family, Fantasy, Musical
IMDb Synopsis: Egyptian Prince Moses learns of his identity as a Hebrew and his destiny to become the chosen deliverer of his people.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Lost City (2022)
Description: I checked out this film somewhat reluctantly after being outvoted on a movie outing with friends on vacation (I was pushing for Sonic 2/Ambulance) but was pleasantly surprised! It's a fun adventure/comedy and I particularly loved Brad Pitt's scenes (who I didn't realize was involved until he appeared). Also a flick that's not too long if you're looking for something to watch and want to avoid the more crowded theatres around this time as bigger blockbusters are starting to be released as we transition to summer.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Con Air (1997)
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Newly paroled ex-con and former U.S. Ranger Cameron Poe finds himself trapped in a prisoner transport plane when the passengers seize control.

+DianaNicole
Film:
The Princess Bride (1987)
Genre: Adventure, Family, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: While home sick in bed, a young boy’s grandfather reads him the story of a farmboy-turned-pirate who encounters numerous obstacles, enemies and allies in his quest to be reunited with his true love.

Television

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Russian Doll
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A cynical young woman in New York City keeps dying and returning to the party that's being thrown in her honor on that same evening. She tries to find a way out of this strange time loop.

Show:The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange
Genre:Comedy
IDMb Synopsis: A television series of the popular YouTube series ''Annoying Orange''. Where Orange (Dane Boedigheimer) goes on an adventure with his friends. His weird friend Nerville (Toby Turner) basically played by a YouTuber has a fear of aliens. So Orange and his friends is the one that can stop the adventure.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 24th to April 30th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Hollywood Ending (2002)
Genre: Comedy, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A director is forced to work with his ex-wife, who left him for the boss of the studio bankrolling his new film. But the night before the first day of shooting, he develops a case of psychosomatic blindness.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Last Action Hero (1993)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: With the help of a magic ticket, a young movie fan is transported into the fictional world of his favorite action movie character.

Chunko
Film:
Operation Mincemeat (2021)
Genre: War, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: During WWII, two intelligence officers use a corpse and false papers to outwit German troops.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Upload
Genre: Sci-Fi, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death, by having his consciousness uploaded into a virtual world. As he gets used to his new life and befriends his angel (real world handler), questions about his death arise.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
30 Rock
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), head writer of the sketch comedy show "TGS with Tracy Jordan", must deal with an arrogant new boss and a crazy new star, all while trying to run a successful television show without losing her mind.

Show: Justice League (2001)
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: Seven of the most formidable heroes form arguably the most powerful team ever.

Short, sweet, and to the point. Perfect for nostalgia inducement, while setting up some great storylines and commentary on handling adult situations. Helped shape my childhood and who I am today (Shoutout Diana of Themyscira).

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: 30 Rock
Genre: Comedy
About: Tina Fey's comedy show about a group of people working on a TV show, enjoyable dynamics between characters, and Tracy Morgan plays a caricature of himself named Tracy Jordan, one of my favorite comedic characters of all time.

Film: Doctor Strange
Genre: Action, Adventure, Superhero, Sci-fi
Desc: Dr. Stephen Strange loses the use of his hands and turns to the mystic arts for help which leads him into a conflict between deities which could destroy the world. (a good time to rewatch this)

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 1st to May 7th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Small Time Crooks (2000)
Genre: Comedy. Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A loser of a crook and his wife strike it rich when a botched bank job's cover business becomes a spectacular success.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Out of Sight
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Description: Before Ocean's Eleven, George Clooney was making robberies while making risky advances on the U.S. Marshal who's out to take him down in this heist film from 1998. The two films are nothing alike aside from the heist aspect, but since both have George Clooney they're likely to attract at least some of the same audience so I'll make the distinction for anyone on the fence about watching that this one is less stylish and more drama/performance-heavy than Ocean's was (at least in my opinion). Also a lesser known gem for fans of J-Lo, Ving Rhames and Steve Zahn fans!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Pledge (2001)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A retiring police detective pledges to catch the killer of a young child.
Notes: It's a character study about the man who obsesses with his promise of finding the killer. This may be Jack Nicholson's most subtle and quiet performance.

Chunko
Film:
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)
Genre: Action, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: In this action-packed comedy, Nicolas Cage plays Nick Cage, channeling his iconic characters as he's caught between a superfan (Pedro Pascal) and a CIA agent (Tiffany Haddish).

Television

+Zipzapadam
Show:
The Owl House
Genre: Action-Adventure, Animated, Comedy, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Accidentally sent to the world of the Boiling Isles before a trip to summer camp, a teenage human named Luz longs to become a witch, with the rebellious Eda and pint-sized demon King at her aid.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 8th to May 14th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Mr. Brooks (2007)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A well-respected businessman is sometimes controlled by his murder and mayhem-loving alter ego.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Adam Project
Description: I got around to watching this new sci-fi flick last week and couldn't believe when I realized how few people I knew personally who were raving about it over the past couple months. It really has a little of everything: great action, well-written quips, clean script writing, heartfelt moments and excellent performances by a very solid cast. Among those stars I feel I need to single out newcomer Walker Scobell who plays a younger Ryan Reynolds (spoilers: it's a time-travel movie) because he absolutely nails his mannerisms from his very first scene.

Can't recommend it enough! Go see now! Then like this post, k? Thanks.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Patton (1970)
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Drama, War
IMDb Synopsis: The World War II phase of the career of controversial American general George S. Patton.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Death Race (2008)
Genre: Action, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Ex-con Jensen Ames is forced by the warden of a notorious prison to compete in our post-industrial world's most popular sport: a car race in which inmates must brutalize and kill one another on the road to victory.

Television

+DianaNicole
Show:
Game of Thrones
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Nine noble families fight for control over the lands of Westeros, while an ancient enemy returns after being dormant for millennia.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Barry
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A hit man from the Midwest moves to Los Angeles and gets caught up in the city's theatre arts scene.

Lucy the Valiant

Banned deucer.
Series: Revenge
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
Synopsis: Emily Thorne comes to the Hamptons for the summer, renting a home next to the Grayson family to enjoy a bright summer. However, it is revealed that Emily has been to the Hamptons before as a little girl. In reality, Emily is Amanda Clarke, whose father, David Clarke was framed for a crime he didn't commit and sent to prison for life. She was permanently separated from him and never saw him again.

Now, she's returned to the Hamptons, intent on getting revenge against those who wronged her and her father, the top of that list being Victoria Grayson, matriarch of the Grayson family and the woman whom her father loved who, in the end, betrayed him. As she sets her plan in motion, Emily tries to navigate the upper society to destroy those who betrayed her father. But the further she goes, the more her emotions get involved and the more she questions her motives and the moves she makes.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of May 15th to May 21st

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Gattaca (1997)
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A genetically inferior man assumes the identity of a superior one in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Drive
Genre: Action, Drama
Description: A reclusive stuntman moonlighting as a getaway driver complicates his private life when he befriends his neighbour and inadvertently steps into the sights of players in organized crime.

I love this film for its tone, pacing and heavy synth soundtrack - it all blends to create a unique atmosphere that doesn't rely too heavily on guns or special effects.

@ Buffy
Film:
Summer '03
Genre: Coming of Age, Comedy, Drama
Description: Joey King stars in this great coming of age film, that initiates with Jamie (King's character) receiving some unexpected advice from her grandmother. But throughout the story, the film increasingly delves into much more deeply rooted and powerful themes such as family, uniqueness, and self-worth amongst others that is defined through many different characters. Definitely one of the best coming of age films and is available streaming on Prime at the time of writing this.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Without a Clue (1988)
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A drunken Sherlock Holmes is really just a cover for the real detective, Dr. Watson.

@ Towelie
Film:
The Great Dictator (1940)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, War
IMDb Synopsis: Dictator Adenoid Hynkel tries to expand his empire while a poor Jewish barber tries to avoid persecution from Hynkel's regime.

%czim
Film:
The Lodge (2019)
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Horror
IMDb Synopsis: A soon-to-be-stepmom is snowed in with her fiance's two children at a remote holiday village. Just as relations finally begin to thaw between the trio, strange and frightening events threaten to summon psychological demons from her strict religious childhood.

+noct
Film:
Army of Darkness (1992)
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Comedy, Horror
Description: "Hail to the king, baby."

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Wanted (2008)
Genre: Action, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A frustrated office worker discovers that he is the son of a professional assassin, and that he shares his father's superhuman killing abilities.

Last edited:

Lucy the Valiant

Banned deucer.
Series: Criminal Minds
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Description: This series follows the FBI Behavioral Analiysis Unit (BAU) as they solve weekly cases (Sometimes but rare, the cases can go on for a few episodes), the cases can include Abduction, Arsonists, Killers, Terrorists, Bombers, Home Invasion, Robbery and so many more. The team includes Gideon, Hotchner, Greenaway, Spencer, Garcia, JJ, Morgan, Prentiss, Rossi and more

I've seen 10+ seasons of this show and I get hooked onto every episode. But yea, a must watch if you're a fan of police procedural shows~
I should probably mention quite a few episodes can become a bit bloody/gory/scary just to let you know.

Movie: Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness
Genre: Action · Adventure · Fantasy · Horror · Sci-Fi
Description: Dr. Stephen Strange casts a forbidden spell that opens the doorway to the multiverse, including alternate versions of himself, whose threat to humanity is too great for the combined forces of Strange, Wong, and Wanda Maximoff.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Movie: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
Genre: Tragicomedy
Description: An adaptation of the Tom Stoppard play of the same name, it follows the minor characters of Rozencrantz and Guildenstern behind the scenes of Hamlet as they ponder the meaning of life, language, and their existence as characters.
A rather artsy piece that is admittedly best suited to the stage, the movie version is still quite good and I recommend giving it a shot.

CynicCyndaquil

UGO Trivia Champion
Show: Salt Fat Acid Heat,
Genre: Cooking
About: 4 part miniseries following Samin Nosrat as she focuses on each title part of the show and its influence on cuisine and flavor, through travels featuring street vendors throughout the world, as well as cooking in kitchens in a variety of countries.

Show: Young Royals (2021)
Genre: Coming-of-Age, Romance, Teen Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Prince Wilhelm adjusts to life at his prestigious new boarding school, Hillerska, but following his heart proves more challenging than anticipated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)