/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 30th to November 5th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Dog Soliders (2002)
Genre: Action, Horror, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A routine military exercise turns into a nightmare in the Scotland wilderness.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Nope
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Description: Though I'm not the biggest horror fan in the world, Jordan Peele managed to create this masterpiece that easily cements itself as my 2nd favourite release of 2022 (and competition has been strong!). I've recommended it before but I can't recommend it enough. For those unfamiliar, the biggest favour I can do for you is purposely deprive you of information and just tell you to watch it. AVOID TRAILERS if you can and go in as blind as possible. What basic details might you want to know going in? Well, it's a UFO movie. That's all you're getting. Go watch and enjoy!

@ Buffy
Film:
Constantine City Of Demons (2018)
Genre: Supernatural
Description: A surprisingly darker than I expected film as a whole, it is very well put together. While parts of the plot are predictable, it does a good job of keeping its audience constantly engaged. There are definitely some gruesome scenes, so don't let the fact that it's animated fool you: this is a properly solid film, well worth watching, especially for spooky season. Available to stream on HBO Max currently.

%pluralist
Film:
The Evil Dead (1981)
Genre: Horror
IMDb Synopsis: Five friends travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release flesh-possessing demons. Sam Raimi’s first banger. Full of fun and camp with some spooks sprinkled in.

+Kamran Laker
Film:
Last Night In Soho (2021)
Genre: Psychological Horror
IMDb Synopsis: An aspiring fashion designer is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s, where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something darker.
Cast: Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith

+noct
Film:
Halloween (1978)
Genre: Horror
Description: Widely considered the father of all modern horror movies alongside Black Christmas and Psycho, this is a classic for a reason. An absolute gem of a score, still incredibly tense, well-directed, and overall just a fucking near-masterpiece of a film. I mean, they even named a holiday after it!

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Beetlejuice
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: The spirits of a deceased couple are harassed by an unbearable family that has moved into their home, and hire a malicious spirit to drive them out.

Television

+yackback
Show:
Yellowjackets
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Horror
Description: A show about teenage girls being terrible to each other and the same adult women being good to each other.

Last edited:

(Available on Netflix)
[Insert Heart_Eyes emoji] [Insert Heart_Eyes emoji] [Insert Heart_Eyes emoji]​
Film: Enola Holmes 2 (2022)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: Now a detective-for-hire, Enola Holmes takes on her first official case to find a missing girl as the sparks of a dangerous conspiracy ignite a mystery that requires the help of friends - and Sherlock himself - to unravel

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 6th to November 13th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Time Trap (2017)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A professor enters a cave and goes missing. Some of his students come looking for him and get trapped in the cave as well.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Good Nurse
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
Description: Based on the true events surrounding a nurse who moved from hospital to hospital while dodging suspicions about his involvement in the deaths of hundreds of patients over several years. Netflix's new drama is a bit of a slow burn and doesn't end with the Hollywood twist(s) I was expecting by the halfway point, but after thinking it over I've decided that adds a good bit of refreshing air to the movie experience. It also lends credibility to the accuracy of the events depicted and it's really more of an acting showcase between stars Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne, as the two pair very well together on screen.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A lawyer defending a wealthy man begins to believe his client is guilty of more than just one crime.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Do the Right Thing (1989)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: On the hottest day of the year on a street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, everyone's hate and bigotry smolders and builds until it explodes into violence.

The_Secret_of_NIMH.jpg

P.S username: trick or dies!
Film: The Secret of NIMH (1982)
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Anthropomorphic
IMDb Synopsis: To save her ill son, a field mouse must seek the aid of a colony of rats, with whom she has a deeper link than she suspected.

MV5BMDZlMjcwZjMtYTQ3YS00N2IzLWI5ZWItZDY1YTMzZTE5YTFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_FMjpg_UX...jpeg

Film: Wendell & Wild
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Fantasy
Letterboxd Synopsis: Two demon brothers enlist the aid of Kat Elliot — a tough teen with a load of guilt — to summon them to the Land of the Living. But what Kat demands in return leads to a brilliantly bizarre and comedic adventure like no other.

(Available on Starplus+)
Film: Free Guy (2021)
Genre: Comedy, Action, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: A bank teller discovers that he's actually an NPC inside a brutal, open world video game.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 13th to November 19th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
A History of Violence (2005)
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero through an act of violence, which sets off repercussions that will shake his family to its very core.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Hidden (1987)
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A cop and an FBI agent race for answers after law abiding people suddenly become violent criminals.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
30 Rock
Genre: Comedy
Description:
This week I once again pay homage to my favourite sitcom of all time! The show follows Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) as she leads a writer's room on an SNL-style sketch comedy series for NBC which undergoes new management/oversight in the form of Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin). The show is a full-on clash of comedic styles as each main cast member brings a totally different vibe to the table and all the interactions are amazing. Watch it at your earliest convenience if you care about excellent comedy!

young royaks.jpeg

Show: Young Royals
Genre: Drama, Romance
iMDB Synopsis (S1E1): Following a scandal, Prince Wilhelm enrolls in a new boarding school, Hillerska. His second cousin, August, plans an initiation party in his honour.

recc'ing again because s2 came out like a while back and with it comes a lot (like, A LOT) of romantic pining that has satiated my lil gay heart (everyone stream so s3 can come out)

Available on Netflix
THIS NEWEST SEASON IS FIRE. EVERY EPISODE IS A MASTERPIECE.
Show: Elite
Genre: Drama, Romance
iMDB: When three working-class teenagers begin attending an exclusive private school in Spain, the clash between them and the wealthy students leads to murder.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 20th to November 26th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Under the Skin (2013)
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A mysterious young woman seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland. However, events lead her to begin a process of self-discovery.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Bound (1996)
Genre: Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Tough ex-con Corky and her lover Violet concoct a scheme to steal millions of stashed mob money and pin the blame on Violet's crooked boyfriend Caesar.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A young woman embraces her pregnancy while she and her family set out to prove her childhood friend and lover innocent of a crime he didn't commit.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
New Girl
Genre: Comedy. Romance
Description: I could watch this show ALL DAY.

(Available on Netflix)​
Show: On My Block
Genre: Comedy. Drama
Synopsis: A coming-of-age story about four bright, street-savvy friends navigating their way through high school in the gritty South Central Los Angeles, trying to get their friend out of a gang, and having friendship turn into something more.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 27th to December 3rd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: When two brothers organize the robbery of their parent's jewelry store the job goes horribly wrong, triggering a series of events that sends them, their father, and one brother's wife barreling toward a shattering climax.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Sword in the Stone (1963)
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
Description: Throwing it back to my fav. Disney animated classic. The story follows Arthur who's taught several life lessons by eccentric wizard Merlin as they go on several shape-shifting adventures and get up to all kinds of dangers and tomfoolery. The Madam Mim scene(s) is still one of my fav. animated sequences.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Weather Man (2005)
IMDb Synopsis: A Chicago weather man, separated from his wife and children, debates whether professional and personal success are mutually exclusive.

+yackback
Film:
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Genre: Mystery
Description: The Knives Out sequel. It's good. It's best to go in blind.

image_2022-11-30_180035024.png

PS Username: Jinaxelia
Film: Oldboy (2003)
Genre: Action Thriller
Description: A progenitor of modern Korean film, must-watch. Follows the protagonist as he is imprisoned in a hotel room for 15 years, and seeks revenge as soon as he breaks out. Filled with extreme topics, warning for sexual scenes and extreme violence.

strange world.jpeg

Film: Strange World (2022)
Genre: Adventure, Animation, Family, Science Fiction
Letterboxd Synopsis: A journey deep into an uncharted and treacherous land, where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades — a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest, and by far most crucial, mission.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 4th to December 10th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Last of Sheila (1973)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A year after Sheila is killed by a hit-and-run driver, her wealthy husband invites a group of friends to spend a week on his yacht playing a scavenger hunt mystery game. The game turns out to be all too real and all too deadly.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Kung Fu Hustle
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Description: 'Tis the season for important birthdays so it's time to re-nominate my favourite film of all times! Director Stephen Chow gifted us this wonderful masterpiece of cinema back in 2004, co-written by Stephen Chow and starring the uber-talented Stephen Chow as the lead! It follows wannabe ganster Sing (though very few of the characters are actually mentioned by name) and his quest to become accepted as a member of the Axe Gang. Along the way he encounters many eccentric fighters and civilians alike and the film just perfectly blends action, humour and storytelling in a way that makes rewatches virtually effortless and tradition every year (often more).

@ Buffy
Film:
Black Swan
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Description: Natalie Portman (lead role) and Mila Kunis star in this psychological thriller masterpiece by Aronofsky. The film revolves around the Swan Lake ballet, but at its core deals with the human psyche, interpersonal relationships, commitment and the effects of competition, not only with others but within one's self. Vincent Cassel also plays a superb supporting role and the whole film is just masterfully written, shot, edited and directed. At the time of writing, this is available to stream on Disney+.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Sorcerer (1977)
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.

dead end.jpeg

Show: Dead End: Paranormal Park
Genre: Adventure, Horror, Mystery
Synopsis: Barney Guttman and Norma Khan landed themselves a job as security guards at Phoenix Parks ― a park infamous for its slew of mysterious disappearances of its owners' impersonators. What they don't realise, was that their job scope also entailed a demon king possessing Barney's pet pug, solving the park's mystery, and maybe even saving the world from a supernatural apocalypse all while battling their own inner demons.

JENNA ORTEGA ICOOOOOOOOONIC
(Available on Netflix)​
Show: Wednesday (Merlina in Spanish)
Genre: Comedy, Crime
Synopsis: Follows Wednesday Addams' years as a student, when she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart and solve the mystery that embroiled her parents.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 11th to December 17th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Intouchables (2011)
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: After he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caregiver.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Night Before
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Description: 'Tis that red & green time of the year again, so here's my pick for this week - a modern comedy classic starring Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Anthony Mackie. The three childhood friends spend the day planning and searching for the biggest holiday season party in NYC and must endure the whirlwind of misadventures that come their way along their path. Pretty simple plot, but good writing and a fun holiday flick for those who need a change from watching Elf and The Nightmare Before Christmas every year.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
California Suite (1978)
IMDb Synopsis: Misadventures of four groups of guests at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Genre: Fantasy, Musical, Stop Motion
Description: It's the story of Pinocchio - but probably the best version yet. The songs are minimal, but well written & beautifully sung. Gorgeously animated - I say give it a shot, even if you don't typically like musicals.

Television

+tomatopeeler
Show:
Queen Sugar
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Follows the life of three siblings, one of whom moves from Los Angeles to Louisiana, to claim a shared inheritance from their recently departed father - an 800-acre sugarcane farm.

unfortunate.jpeg

Show: A Series of Unfortunate Events
Genre: Black Comedy, Drama
Synopsis: Based on the book series by Lemon Snicket, the show follows the three Baudelaure children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, as they narrowly escape Count Olaf and his troupe's attempts to snatch the inheritance left behind by their parents after their unfortunate death.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 18th to December 24th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Quiz Show (1994)
Genre: Biography, Drama, History
IMDb Synopsis: A young lawyer, Richard Goodwin, investigates a potentially fixed game show. Charles Van Doren, a big-time show winner, is under Goodwin's investigation.

#Soft Flex
Film:
All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)
Genre: Action, Drama, War
Description: A young German soldier enlists to join the cause in WWI, but his eagerness is doused once the realities of the war set in. Yet another beautiful war epic with stunning set design that really captures the harshness of the era. This most recent remake does an excellent job giving its viewers a taste of the horrors of WWI and offers a glimpse into the mindset of a soldier during that time. One of Netflix's strongest recent releases for sure and well worth a watch.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Man from Earth (2007)
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: An impromptu goodbye party for Professor John Oldman becomes a mysterious interrogation after the retiring scholar reveals to his colleagues he has a longer and stranger past than they can imagine.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Troll (2022)
Genre: Science Fiction
IMDb Synopsis: Deep in the Dovre mountain, something gigantic wakes up after a thousand years in captivity. The creature destroys everything in its path and quickly approaches Oslo.

+yackback
Film:
The Sparks Brothers
Genre: Documentary
Description: Lifelong fan Edgar Wright directs a documentary about "your favorite band's favorite band," featuring interviews from Beck, Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Jonathan Ross, Weird Al Yankovic, Neil Gaiman, Mike Meyers, etc.

(Available on Netflix)
NOAH CENTINEO MY BELOVED​
Show: The Recruit
Genre: Action, Crime
Synopsis: Follows a lawyer at the CIA who gets entangled in dangerous international power politics when a former asset threatens to expose the nature of her long-term relationship with the agency.

summer.jpeg

Film: (500) Days of Summer
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Synopsis: Tom, greeting-card writer and hopeless romantic, is caught completely off-guard when his girlfriend, Summer, suddenly dumps him. He reflects on their 500 days together to try to figure out where their love affair went sour, and in doing so, Tom rediscovers what it means to love.

Chicken Run movie poster.jpg
Film: Chicken Run
Genres: Animation, Adventure, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: When a cockerel apparently flies into a chicken farm, the chickens see him as an opportunity to escape their evil owners.

Why I recommend this film: It has great animation (what Aardman always has), the overly british terms make the dialogue stand out from other Dreamworks films (this goes for all other Dreamworks films made by Aardman like "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Ware Rabbit" and "Flushed Away"), it has charming characters, music is amazing, it doesn't talk down to it's U rated audience and the fact that a character that get's killed in the first 10 minutes really makes you root for the chicken's freedom

Attachments

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of December 25th to December 31st

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The journey that led to Charles Dickens' creation of "A Christmas Carol," a timeless tale that would redefine Christmas.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Grey
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
Description: Liam Neeson punches wolves to survive.

Look, I nominated my more preferred winter season movies too early or got sniped, but this one has snow and is a fun watch if you can not take it too seriously. :swole:

@ Buffy
Film:
The Family Man
Description: Starting the GOAT, Nicolas Kim Coppola (Jack Campbell). With his birthday coming up soon, this felt like the right time to finally recommend this film. The film shows Jack what his life would be like if he had chosen a different path. It's got a lot of Cage-isms in it and is just overall very enjoyable and one of the very few Christmas films I like.

+DianaNicole
Film:
Christmas Vacation
Description: As the holidays approach, Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) wants to have a perfect family Christmas, so he pesters his wife, Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo), and children, as he tries to make sure everything is in line, including the tree and house decorations. However, things go awry quickly. His hick cousin, Eddie (Randy Quaid), and his family show up unplanned and start living in their camper on the Griswold property. Even worse, Clark's employers renege on the holiday bonus he needs.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Four Christmases
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A couple struggles to visit all four of their divorced parents on Christmas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)